Romance of the Three Kingdoms (SGYY) Purchase and Book Info

Best threads of the SGYYS, for your viewing pleasure.

Unread postby James » Mon Jan 19, 2004 11:23 pm

All you have to do is adjust to the Wade-Giles and you’ll be fine. I started with Brewitt-Taylor and I’ve since purchased two Moss Roberts releases, but still my Brewitt-Taylor collection sits on my desk. I couldn’t actually say which I liked more, but I can say that I am certainly glad I read Brewitt-Taylor first. You should be quite happy with the edition. As always, stick through the first six chapters and by then you should have adjusted to the book, and the rest will seem to fly past. The first portions will be great fun in future reads as well.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Elven Fury » Sun Feb 22, 2004 6:43 pm

IS there anyway to find it in a borders or somethign or is that too hard to find to do that?
It is important to draw wisdom from many different places. If we take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale. Understanding others - other people, other beliefs, and other nations - will help you become whole.
Elven Fury
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Sun Feb 22, 2004 9:27 pm

Elven Fury wrote:IS there anyway to find it in a borders or somethign or is that too hard to find to do that?

They might be able to do a special order with the ISBN.
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Han Hao » Tue Feb 24, 2004 1:11 am

I know this is kind of a silly thing, but I just got the Romance of the Three Kingdoms books this weekend as part of my 21st birthday present. I'm so glad I finally have the books which I have wanted to read for a long time. Just as soon as I can get my homework done....
"Humph...No heralds come with death..." - Zhang Liao
Han Hao
Initiate

Brewitt-Taylor

Unread postby Liu Yuante » Mon Apr 12, 2004 1:30 am

I'm a big ROTK fan and a newcomer to this webpage and wanted to add my own thoughts. I happened upon my copy of ROTK in 1996 when I was doing a college visit to the University of Chicago. My father and I went to the university bookstore and after wandering around for awhile I saw it and knew immediately that I had to have it. It is a Brewitt-Taylor edition, and I have to say that although the spelling threw me off a bit at first, anyone who will be reading a 2000-page book is probably smart enough to pick up on the patterns among the spelling variations. By the time I was halfway through I was easily and comfortably able to convert the Wade-Gilles spellings into the spellings I was familiar with from playing the ROTK games. Plus, I believe that the Wade-Gilles spellings are phonetic, so that you won't pronounce Cao Cao as "cow cow" for years on end like I did.

I've also just now ordered a copy of a book from Amazon by none other than Zhuge Liang himself. Apparently among other things a commentary of his on Sun Tzu's "Art of War" has survived, and I can think of nothing cooler than reading the work of one of the actual great men involved in the Three Kingdoms period.

Adrian
Liu Yuante
绯红王

Unread postby White Horse General » Mon Apr 12, 2004 2:25 am

You're talking about Zhuge Liang and Liu Ji's commentaries right? Zhuge Liang did his on the perfect general and Liu Ji's was on leading the army I believe. Very good read despite being short in my opinion.
Sings we a dance of wolves;
Who smell fear and slay a coward.
Sings we a dance of man;
Who smells gold and slays his brother.
White Horse General
Master

Unread postby Hwoarang » Sat May 08, 2004 2:18 pm

I have the 2-volume Brewitt-Taylor set with ISBN: 0804834679.

In this version the Wade-Giles system is used and it sometimes is really frustrating. especially with the lesser known generals it is hard for me to figure out who they are talking about.

It does have a 7 page introduction by Robert E. Hegel but there are no maps, notes or whatsoever including in this edition.
"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered, those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid. Thus the wise win before they fight, while the ignorant fight to win."
Zhuge Liang
Hwoarang
Tyro

Unread postby Ts'aoist » Wed Jul 28, 2004 4:37 am

I've only read about the first half of the book from the library, but I was thinking about getting the Brewitt-Taylor version for myself.
I have heard that is is more poetic sounding, or at least more literary.
I think this would be great for me, since I am reading it for fun and not for any kind of academic purpose.
Wade-Giles names are not a problem since I am about as familiar with those names as with pinyin ones.

Are there any problems with this translation that aren't in the Roberts translation, other than the lack of notes (which I don't care about)?
The ancient adepts of Wei were subtle and flexible, profound and comprehensive.
Their minds were too deep to be fathomed.
Ts'ao Te Ching, Ch. 15
Ts'aoist
Master

Unread postby James » Wed Jul 28, 2004 5:39 am

Caoist wrote:Are there any problems with this translation that aren't in the Roberts translation, other than the lack of notes (which I don't care about)?

Not really. Aside from the lack of notes, and a lack of Moss Robert’s marvelous Afterward, I like the Brewitt-Taylor translation more myself. And the thoughts you have listed are exactly why. It is much nicer to read, once you are past the Wade-Giles.
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby robbyjo » Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:30 am

I just got my hard cover-library binding Moss-Roberts translation of SGYY.... Oh I'm so happy! :D I'm really satisfied. It's really worth every penny. The only minor qualm would be the amount of typos. They could use better editing.

What I'm happy with is that it also have a Chinese counterpart on the left side. One question would be: Is this Chinese style be on par with (in terms of difficulty to translate) SGZ? If so, I would consider this as translation-learning experience....

-- Rob
:mrgreen:
robbyjo
Überducky of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium Archives