Romance of the Three Kingdoms (SGYY) Purchase and Book Info

Best threads of the SGYYS, for your viewing pleasure.

Unread postby Morg » Wed Nov 12, 2003 11:12 am

Dian Cou wrote:It five books does anyone know if they can be bought out of shops everyone i know who has them got them on the internet

Yes ROTK can be bought from shops but you will probably have to order it specially as most shops don't seem to actively stock the novel. Considering you will have to wait anywhere between 2-6 weeks for a shop to get it for you, it is much quicker and easier to order it online.
"If you do not turn your back on me, I shall not on you." - Cao Cao to Pang De
Morg
The Man

Unread postby K'ung-Ming » Mon Dec 01, 2003 5:26 am

I was curious: I have purchased the Moss Roberts edition [unabridged, single volume] and thoroughly enjoyed it. I was wondering if purchasing ROTK [in the two-volume set] was a good buy? Is it worth it reading both ROTK and the Moss Roberts edition? Or is that just a waste of money?
K'ung-Ming
Initiate

Unread postby Kong Wen » Thu Dec 04, 2003 4:25 am

In answer to your question (the best answer I could come up with), are you sure the single volume Moss Roberts is not abridged? Because I've never seen an edition of that translation smaller than three books unless some stuff has been cut.

On that note, I thoroughly endorse the idea of purchasing the full 4-volume paperback Moss Roberts (the first edition I read). It's very detailed, his notes are excellent, etc.

The other translation apparently has a little more literary flair as far as the writing style goes, but at the expense of some thematic coherence (as far as I understand--I have never read it myself).
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby K'ung-Ming » Thu Dec 04, 2003 6:15 am

Well, lemme go check. Ah! Nevermind. It is abridged...curses. Well, that's okay, I have the unabridged version too...I was just kind of curious why one of mine was way shorter than the other. *slaps forehead for not noticing 'abridged version' in the sidelines*

Another question: Overall, which did you like better...the ROTK, or Robert's translation?
K'ung-Ming
Initiate

Unread postby Kong Wen » Mon Jan 19, 2004 4:36 am

Someone recently asked in the Pub about the best place to get Moss Roberts's translation in Hong Kong. Now, I am not familiar with Hong Kong--would an English translation of the text be all that common over there?
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby Lady Wu » Mon Jan 19, 2004 5:22 am

Kong Zhengshu wrote:Someone recently asked in the Pub about the best place to get Moss Roberts's translation in Hong Kong. Now, I am not familiar with Hong Kong--would an English translation of the text be all that common over there?

Aieee... good question. My sisters in HK usually go to the Page One in Kowloon Tong (the mall right above the MTR station--I forgot its English name) for getting English books. The last time I was there they had a couple of translations of Louis Cha's (Jin Yong/Gum Yong) martial arts novels, some volumes of a translated Red Chamber, perhaps Sidney Shapiro's Outlaws of the Marsh, but I didn't see any SGYY translations. Well, I wasn't looking for it specifically then though, and it was over a year ago so I don't remember. So that's a place to try... it's got some good English books on Asian history/literature too so it's worth visiting anyway. I think Page One has a branch in either Tsim Sha Tsui or Causeway Bay but I'm not too sure... my family lives in NT so they generally go to the Kowloon Tong store.

I don't know of any other English bookstore that would be big enough to carry Roberts' SGYY. However, I haven't really lived in HK for 13 years now so I don't know the lay of the land that well... :?
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby Lady Zhuge » Mon Jan 19, 2004 7:35 pm

lotus604 wrote:where can i purchase three kingdoms by moss roberts the non-abridged version.. in Hong Kong

I got a friend going there in a couple of weeks,

Maybe you can also try ordering the set online somewhere(as long as the store is based in HK) and having your friend go pick it up when he/she goes there, thereby saving the usually expensive overseas shipping fee.
At least one site I know of is layoyo.com, but I don't know if they have the SGYY that you are interested in in their stock.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein

¡°ÈËÉú²»¿ÉÄÜÄÇôƽµ££¬ ÄÇôÏ뵱Ȼ£» ²»¿ÉÓÀÔ¶ÔÚÏÊ»¨¶È¹ý¡£ ÕýÈçÄǾäÀÏ»°£º ¡®ÈýÊ®ÄêºÓ¶«£¬ ÈýÊ®ÄêºÓÎ÷¡£¡¯¡±

- ÌƹúÇ¿
Lady Zhuge
Kongming's One and Only

Unread postby Ranbir » Mon Jan 19, 2004 7:41 pm

ok, I've just got volume II of the Brewitt-Taylor version, and volume I is on its way...be honest, am I worse off by not getting the moss robert version? (hint: don't make me cry)
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby Kong Wen » Mon Jan 19, 2004 8:48 pm

HiddenRanbir wrote:ok, I've just got volume II of the Brewitt-Taylor version, and volume I is on its way...be honest, am I worse off by not getting the moss robert version? (hint: don't make me cry)

The jury seems to be out on this one. All accounts seem to point to B-T having done a much more literary, poetic, nice-to-read translation with Roberts having done a more accurate and detailed translation (including notes and criticism in the additional materials).

I have not read enough of the B-T version to make a judgement, myself. While the online version uses pinyin romanization, the printed novels do not, and I consider that a strike against them.
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby Ranbir » Mon Jan 19, 2004 10:24 pm

Ok, thats good, I'm just after a good read, I think I've learnt as much as I can from just playing the games. Thanks for the reply.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

PreviousNext

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium Archives