Differences between Three Kingdoms novel and history…

Best threads of the SGYYS, for your viewing pleasure.

Re: Differences between Three Kingdoms novel and history…

Unread postby Cao Chao » Sat May 28, 2011 3:34 am

Elitemsh wrote:
Hyper90 wrote:in the novel Ma chao had his 200k army beat cao cao's 300k

was that true according to history ? if yes how'd he get all those troops? qiangs ?

It is impossible for Ma Chao to have had even half that number. He controlled only part of one province. IMO a more realistic number for Ma Chao's is about 20000 troops with a strong cavalry section. Ma Chao would have had a greater propotion of cavalry than most other armies.

The numbers would depend. It is likely and possible that Mengqi had the support of the Qiang and Hu tribesmen that were outside of the Han commandery in the Xiliang region. The Qiang and Hu rebellion during the late Han Dynasty caused a lot of trouble and took five years to suppress.
曹操曰:宁教我负天下人,休教天下人负我!
Cao Chao
Langzhong

Unread postby Jordan » Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:31 am

I agree with you, but I still think 200k is exaggerated, especially since the novel exaggerates numbers a great deal anyways.
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Coconut-CocaCola » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:57 am

Woooooow! That's a lot of differences O.o.

I guess I was most disappointed at the <<Zhuge Liang couldn't do "magic">> part. :lol:

Dong Zhou wrote:
And was it possible that when she took Liu Shan with her, it was cause she bonded with him as mother and son and not due to any ill intentions?

Possibly that was part of it but she would have surely been aware of the consequences of such a move.

So that part was real... About it, I've only seen the TV series so sorry if it's different then the novel, but in the series, Lady Wu returned to Wu after being told that her mother was ill. Was that part real, or was she actually glad that Sun Quan send her a rescue party?
------------------------------------------------

Hi there!
If you got any fanart request of Thre Kingdoms (2010) tv serie, just ask <3!
http://coconut-cocacola.deviantart.com/
Coconut-CocaCola
Tyro

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:07 am

That mother ill part is based on the novel, historically it seems to have been a move of SSX's own as her mother was long dead.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Shuyouryo » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:56 pm

It was Ma Chao's fault his father was killed, becuase of his attack against Cao Cao.

No, this wasn't the reason either. After the battle of Tong Pass, many of the warlords who Ma Chao gathered were dead or surrendered. Of those who surrendered some ending up serving Wei. Ma Chao continued raiding and pillaging in Liangzhou and Bingzhou, killing the Inspector of Liang Province but finally driven to serve Zhangu Lu the the late Inspector's deputies. Ma Teng was exectued about a year after the Battle of Tong Pass during this period of raiding.

It is said that Emperor Xian issued the edit to Cao Cao for Ma Teng's execution. This is likely true as Cao Cao had little reason to execute Ma Teng at that point (who had surrendered to him and was cut off from his troops, and would have done it earlier anyway if he wanted).
Shuyouryo
Apprentice

Unread postby Cao Chao » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:11 pm

It is correct that Ma Chao's campaign that culminated at the Battle of Tong Pass began in 211 and that Ma Teng was executed in 212. What is your proof that Ma Chao's rebellion wasn't the cause of Ma Teng's death?
曹操曰:宁教我负天下人,休教天下人负我!
Cao Chao
Langzhong

Unread postby Shuyouryo » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:59 pm

Cao Chao wrote:It is correct that Ma Chao's campaign that culminated at the Battle of Tong Pass began in 211 and that Ma Teng was executed in 212. What is your proof that Ma Chao's rebellion wasn't the cause of Ma Teng's death?

You understand me wrong. It was not the attack on Cao Cao's troops that got Ma Teng executed, rather it was the refusal to surender (and continuance of plundering) after defeat at Tong Pass that caused it.
Shuyouryo
Apprentice

Unread postby Ona Hei » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:31 am

What is the historical reason for Xu Shu's departure to Wei? As I noticed that in the topic post, it said he left of his own desire and not by a false letter.
Ona Hei
Tyro

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:07 am

Ona Hei wrote:What is the historical reason for Xu Shu's departure to Wei? As I noticed that in the topic post, it said he left of his own desire and not by a false letter.

Welcome to the forum Ona Hei

During the retreat across Jing, Xu Shu's mother fell into Wei hands and so he left, having a decent career in Wei.

So while mother played a part, there wasn't an evil Machiavellian ploy involved.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby AxeLordGerardo » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:38 pm

One Of the most importants for me is that who affirms that the three brothers never fought at once with Lu Bu historically.
Cao Cao - Liu Bei - Sun Jian - Yuan Shao
AxeLordGerardo
Student

PreviousNext

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium Archives