Differences between Three Kingdoms novel and history…

Best threads of the SGYYS, for your viewing pleasure.

Re: Differences between Three Kingdoms novel and history…

Unread postby mrbeate » Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:24 pm

Hyper90 wrote:does that apply the same as Xu Chu ?

Xu Chu, defended a city with his clan or followers from bandits. Was said to be a very tall man with a strong build. He fought off the bandits by throwing rocks from the city's walls. Later went to serve Cao Cao with a few hundred of his followers or clansmen. Xu Chu was a colonel, he was praised for his immense strength and bravery. Xu Chu never lead large groups of soldiers he was only given small commands. However, he and soldiers were often put at the van to lead the assaults. He lead the attack(leading small units but at the front of the vanguard) on Zhang Xiu and killed many. Cao Cao later promoted Xu Chu to be the captain of his bodyguards, or the unit of soldiers that protects Cao Cao.

Edit: So Yes, Dian Wei and Xu Chu can be both referred to as both bodyguard and small-time generals.
Smoke, drink, relieve my stress
mrbeate
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Hyper90 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:49 am

ah i see...

just to make sure..

when jiang wei dies ... he suicided first or the wei soldiers just ripped his organs apart?
"There are five possible operations for any army. If you can fight, fight; if you cannot fight, defend; if you cannot defend, flee; if you cannot flee, surrender; if you cannot surrender, die. " Sima Yi

take a look please
Hyper90
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby mrbeate » Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:56 pm

Historically there was no information that indicates he committed suicide. I believe Zhong Hui and Jiang Wei were just hacked in their own quarters or when they announced that they are rebelling.
mrbeate
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Hyper90 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 7:44 pm

which means their rebellion was quelled shortly by their own soldiers?
"There are five possible operations for any army. If you can fight, fight; if you cannot fight, defend; if you cannot defend, flee; if you cannot flee, surrender; if you cannot surrender, die. " Sima Yi

take a look please
Hyper90
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby mrbeate » Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:13 pm

Hyper90 wrote:which means their rebellion was quelled shortly by their own soldiers?

Yeoopp.... soldiers and/or subordinate generals or lieutenants of Zhong Hui did not approve of his intentions and had his head hacked off.
mrbeate
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Hyper90 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:31 am

the guys are tired of the war so they rather slashed them off rather than start another prolonged blood lust

in the novel, sun shangxiang attempted to take liu shan away and zhao yun stopped her.

did that really happened in historically? and what did sun quan did to his mother ?

take a look please
Hyper90
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Gray Riders » Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:31 pm

Hyper90 wrote:the guys are tired of the war so they rather slashed them off rather than start another prolonged blood lust

in the novel, sun shangxiang attempted to take liu shan away and zhao yun stopped her.

did that really happened in historically? and what did sun quan did to his mother ?

She did try to take Liu Shan historically, and was stopped by Zhao Yun.

Sun Quan did nothing to his mother, who died in 202.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby mrbeate » Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:27 pm

Hyper90 wrote:n the novel, sun shangxiang attempted to take liu shan away and zhao yun stopped her.

Yeah this happened, but both Zhao Yun and Zhang Fei stopped her.
mrbeate
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:25 pm

the guys are tired of the war so they rather slashed them off rather than start another prolonged blood lust

I think had Deng Ai tried it, he would have been able to pull it off, plus the deaths in the resulting chaos suggest blood was still being spilled happily, so wouldn't put it entirely down to that. Jiang Wei was hated and Zhong Hui probably was viewed slightly negatively over his treatment of Zhuge Xu and Wang Guan.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Liufeng » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:53 am

By the way, sorry to disturb, but I'd like to know something about Mi Fang : Did he betray Guan Yu deliberately or was the story about the grain he couldn't gather because of Fu Shiren's betrayal true ? Because I can't really blame someone who has his life threaten like this to betray his commander.
And just another question totally different : Do we have other informations about military or domestical achievements about Jin's officers Du Yu and Wang Jun aside the Wu expedition ?

PS : Dong, each time I see my user name and your signature sentence, it really scares me :)
dw8 Wish
Cheng Pu/Xu Sheng/Zhuge Ke/Lu Kang
Liao Hua/Fa Zheng/Zhang Yi/Wang Ping
Cao Hong/Bian Shi/Man Chong/Cao Rui
Zhang Chunhua/Chen Tai/Wen Yang/Jia Chong/Sima Yan/Yang Hu/Du Yu
Gongsun Zan/Yuan Shu/Cai Shi/Gongsun Yuan
Liufeng
Student

PreviousNext

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium Archives