Differences between Three Kingdoms novel and history…

Best threads of the SGYYS, for your viewing pleasure.

Unread postby Mengdez New Book » Wed Feb 19, 2003 4:23 pm

CaTigeReptile wrote:-I've heard somewhere that not only was Sun Shang Xiang a commanding wife who scared and ordered Liu Bei around, but that when Liu Bei died, she simply returned to Wu, and did not commit suicide; that LGZ changed it to represent the "virtuous woman".

Actually, Sun Quan's sister name didn't really been mentioned in the history. During Yuan dynasty, the opera did gave her a name called Sun An (孫安). Then, Sun Shang Xiang name was given by author of the modern opera because they think that Sun An's name was awful for a lady.

Anyway, Liu Bei and Sun Fu Ren marriage was not that nice actually. According to SGZ Fa Zheng bio《三國志‧蜀書‧法正傳》: '初,孫權以妹妻先祖,妹才捷剛猛,有諸兄之風,侍婢百餘人,皆親執刀侍立,先主每入,衷心常凜凜' - At the beginning, Sun Quan married his sister to Liu Bei and this Sun Fu Ren talented in literacy (smart), very macho like his brother. She has 100++ servants who always guard near her (outside the room) with sword. Everytime Liu Bei wanted to enter her room, he felt very frightened and feared.

Well, she returned to Wu before Liu Bei passed away. When Liu Bei took the whole Yi Zhou, Sun Quan was furious about it. He sent his troops to take his sister back. After that, Sun Fu Ren never been heard again. For Liu Bei, he married a widow named Wu Shi. This Wu Shi was Wu Yi's sister, Liu Zhang's sister in-law.

The marriage of Liu Bei and Sun Fu Ren was a mistake afterall. Sun Quan wanted his sister to marry Liu Bei just for political purpose. At that time, Liu Bei took Gong An and Sun Quan quite afraid of him, so he married his sister to Liu Bei to have a better relationship. Anyway, this marriage turned to a end when Liu Bei took the whole Yi Zhou which caused Sun Quan to take back his sister.
Mengdez New Book
No Title

Unread postby Jiang Zhi » Wed Feb 19, 2003 6:17 pm

Mengdez New Book wrote:《三國志‧蜀書‧法正傳》: '初,孫權以妹妻先祖,妹才捷剛猛,有諸兄之風,侍婢百餘人,皆親執刀侍立,先主每入,衷心常凜凜' - At the beginning, Sun Quan married his sister to Liu Bei and this Sun Fu Ren talented in literacy (smart), very macho like his brother. She has 100++ servants who always guard near her (outside the room) with sword. Everytime Liu Bei wanted to enter her room, he felt very frightened and feared.

So, you're saying, SSX is a tomboy? She did have martial arts training and such, right?
Jiang Zhi of Foshan, style Maodi
~*!越武帝!*~ - 我愛我的妻子孫尚香!
Nan Hai, Jiaozhou

Laconius Arts and Design My Rot3K fanfiction
Jiang Zhi
Sun Shang Xiang's puppy-eyed slave

Unread postby Mengdez New Book » Thu Feb 20, 2003 3:15 pm

Jiang Zhi wrote:
Mengdez New Book wrote:《三國志‧蜀書‧法正傳》: '初,孫權以妹妻先祖,妹才捷剛猛,有諸兄之風,侍婢百餘人,皆親執刀侍立,先主每入,衷心常凜凜' - At the beginning, Sun Quan married his sister to Liu Bei and this Sun Fu Ren talented in literacy (smart), very macho like his brother. She has 100++ servants who always guard near her (outside the room) with sword. Everytime Liu Bei wanted to enter her room, he felt very frightened and feared.

So, you're saying, SSX is a tomboy? She did have martial arts training and such, right?

Most probably she is a tomboy but for martial arts, not sure about it. :)
Mengdez New Book
No Title

Unread postby Yorak » Wed Mar 05, 2003 8:01 am

Most probably she is a tomboy but for martial arts, not sure about it

She probably did. It wasn't unheard of for women to recieve martial arts training, and coming from such a martial family and having such interest in warfare, it wouldn't at all be surprising if she knew how to fight.

Plus, it helps explain why she and her crew were able to push everyone around - she could kick their asses.

But, it's just speculation.

EDIT: Not anymore, it's not. Found this tidbit from a SGZ translation of Zhou Yun:

"In the fourteenth year of JianAn (A.D. 209), Liu Bei married the sister of Sun Quan. Lady Sun practised martial arts since her youth and she brought along with her from Eastern Wu some one hundred maids, several body guards and also family servants. "
I'm not even here
Yorak
Master

Unread postby Rooney » Sat Apr 05, 2003 10:36 am

I don't quite understand what are you guys talking about.I thought San guo yan yi is just a novel written by someone.Then how is it related to history?Forgive me for my ignorance...
Rooney
Tyro

Unread postby Iznoach, Legendary Dragon » Sat Apr 05, 2003 11:53 am

Zheng Wuji wrote:I don't quite understand what are you guys talking about.I thought San guo yan yi is just a novel written by someone.Then how is it related to history?Forgive me for my ignorance...

It is based on the San Guo Zhi, which was compiled by Chen Shou (a Jin official) after the fall of Wu, ca. 280 AD. :wink:
"Armed and dangerous, ain't too many can hang wit us
straight up weed no angel dust, label us Notorious..."--Biggie
Iznoach, Legendary Dragon
Gunslinger

Unread postby Rooney » Sat Apr 05, 2003 11:59 am

Then do u know whether the vcd series follows the history or novel?
Rooney
Tyro

Unread postby Iznoach, Legendary Dragon » Sat Apr 05, 2003 12:00 pm

Zheng Wuji wrote:Then do u know whether the vcd series follows the history or novel?

I'm not exactly sure, since I've personally never viewed the vcd series, but from what I've heard, it's mostly based on the San Guo Yan Yi.
"Armed and dangerous, ain't too many can hang wit us
straight up weed no angel dust, label us Notorious..."--Biggie
Iznoach, Legendary Dragon
Gunslinger

Unread postby jiuwan » Sat Apr 05, 2003 7:09 pm

Zheng Wuji wrote:Then do u know whether the vcd series follows the history or novel?

The Vcd series is based on SGYY - the novel.
jiuwan
Marquis of Shun Ping

SGZ

Unread postby Pang Tong X » Tue Apr 08, 2003 6:29 pm

Why has no one yet translated the SGZ ? Or am I missing something ?
Nothing is impossible to a man of strong will - Chu Yuan-chang
Pang Tong X
Tyro

PreviousNext

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium Archives