ZZTJ Translations: Western Jin (Book 79-88)

Best threads of the SGYYS, for your viewing pleasure.

Re: ZZTJ Translations: Western Jin (Book 79-87)

Unread postby Taishi Ci 2.0 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:45 am

Sorry, I've been away on holiday.

The implication here, stated expressly in her Book of Jin biography, was that she was kidnapping young men for sexual gratification and then eliminating them afterwards. Her entry in the book Biographical Dictionary of Chinese Women has more about the episode.
"You have attacked us before, and we survived! You cannot defeat us. Submit!"
"We have. You did. We can. No."
Taishi Ci 2.0
Grand Historian Friendly to Cats

Unread postby waywardauthor » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:11 am

You know, I think that if you contacted some of the Asian Studies departments, you might find someone who could proofread this and potentially get around to publishing it at some point. Joseph Yap has been publishing some chapters that he translated, and he's not a historian or a professor who specializes in the trade. Not sure if that's something you want, but you're more than halfway to connecting this piece to the section you've already translated, and combined those 27 chapters would probably be among the most significant contributions to the English field of early medieval Chinese history in quite some time.
Alone I lean under the wispy shade of an aged tree,
Scornfully I raise to parted lips a cup of warm wine,
Longingly I cast an empty vessel aside those exposed roots,
And leave behind forgotten memories and forsaken dreams.
waywardauthor
Scholar

Unread postby Taishi Ci 2.0 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:49 pm

I have made some initial contacts in that regard, but for now this is just a pet project for the forum and anyone interested in the Jin/Sixteen Kingdoms period. I'd want to make quite a few more revisions and notes before I'd consider it fit for publication. Thanks for your interest and I hope you enjoy reading it.
Taishi Ci 2.0

Unread postby Jia Nanfeng » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:04 pm

Taishi Ci 2.0 wrote:Sorry, I've been away on holiday.

The implication here, stated expressly in her Book of Jin biography, was that she was kidnapping young men for sexual gratification and then eliminating them afterwards. Her entry in the book Biographical Dictionary of Chinese Women has more about the episode.

Ah, understood.

Do you believe the account as written? It seems to me that they would have at least named those supposedly killed, if true. Not saying it's false for that reason alone, of course, but I know the records (and particularly the Jinshu) were biased against her and her family.

And no worries about the delay! Hope you had a good holiday.
Jia Nanfeng
Apprentice

BOOK 88

Unread postby Taishi Ci 2.0 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:48 am

永嘉六年(壬申、三一二)

The Sixth Year of Yongjia (The Renshen Year, 312 AD)

春,正月,漢呼延后卒,諡曰武元。

1. In spring, the first month, Han's Empress Huyan passed away. She was posthumously known as Empress Wuyuan ("the Foremost").

漢鎭北將軍靳沖、平北將軍卜珝寇幷州;辛未,圍晉陽。

2. Han's General Who Guards The North, Jin Chong, and their General Who Pacifies The North, Bo Ku, invaded Bingzhou. On the day Xinwei (February 12th), they besieged Jinyang.

〈靳,姓也。珝,況羽翻。〉

(靳 Jin is a surname.

Bo Ku's given name 珝 is pronounced "ku (k-u)".)

甲戌,漢主聰以司空王育、尚書令任顗女爲左、右昭儀,中軍大將軍王彰、中書監范隆、左僕射馬景女皆爲夫人,右僕射朱紀女爲貴妃,皆金印紫綬。聰將納太保劉殷女,太弟义固諫。聰以問太宰延年、太傅景,皆曰:「太保自云劉康公之後,與陛下殊源,納之何害!」聰悅,拜殷二女英、娥爲左右貴嬪,位在昭儀上。又納殷女孫四人皆爲貴人,位次貴妃。於是六劉之寵傾後宮,聰希復出外,事皆中黃門奏決。

3. On the day Jiaxu (February 15th), the Emperor of Han, Liu Cong, selected the daughters of his Minister Over The Masses, Wang Yu, and his Prefect of the Masters of Writing, Ren Yi, as his 昭儀 concubines of the Left and Right. He chose the daughters of his Grand General Who Guards The Army, Wang Zhang, his Chief of the Palace Secretariat, Fan Long, and his Supervisor of the Left, Ma Jing, as his 夫人 concubines. And he chose the daughter of his Supervisor of the Right, Zhu Ji, as his Honored Concubine. All of these women were given golden seals and purple tassels.

Liu Cong was about to claim the daughters of his Grand Guardian, Liu Yin, as well, but the Crown Younger Brother, Liu Yi, strenuously objected. So Liu Cong asked his Grand Governor, Liu Yannian, and his Grand Tutor, Liu Jing, what they thought about the matter. They told him, "It is true that both of you are surnamed Liu. But the Grand Guardian says that his lineage is as a descendant of Duke Kang of the ancient state of Liu. Since his family tree therefore does not intersect with yours, where is the harm in knowing his daughters?"

Liu Cong was pleased with their remarks, and he appointed Liu Yin's daughters Liu Ying and Liu E as his Honored Ladies of the Left and Right; their positions were even above the 昭儀 concubines. Liu Cong also claimed Liu Yin's four granddaughters as Honored Women, and their positions were second after the Honored Concubines.

These six daughters and granddaughters of Liu Yin were so favored that they surpassed the women of the rear palace, and from this time on it was rare that Liu Cong left their company. So affairs were all decided by the Yellow Gate Attendants.

〈劉康公,周之卿士,食采於劉,其後因以爲氏。劉聰,匈奴之後,以漢之甥冒姓劉氏,故云殊源。〉

(Duke Kang of Liu was a minister during the Zhou dynasty. He took his food from the fief of Liu, and so his descendants took Liu as their clan name. Liu Cong was a Xiongnu, who claimed their Liu surname as nephews of the Han imperial lineage. This was why Liu Yannian and Liu Jing said that Liu Cong and Liu Yin were not from the same family tree.)

故新野王歆牙門將胡亢聚衆於竟陵,自號楚公,寇掠荊土,以歆南蠻司馬新野杜曾爲竟陵太守。曾勇冠三軍,能被甲游於水中。

4. The late Prince of Xinye, Sima Xin, had once had a certain Hu Kang as his General of the Standard. At this time, this Hu Kang gathered up a host of men at Jingling, where he declared himself Duke of Chu. Hu Kang invaded and plundered the Jingzhou region.

Hu Kang appointed Sima Xin's former Marshal to the Colonel of Southern Man Tribes, Du Zeng of Xinye, as his Administrator of Jingling. This Du Zeng was a true hero of the three armies, able to swim across a river even while wearing armor.

〈亢,音剛。〉〈爲曾亂荊州張本。〉

(The first letter of Hu Kang's given name, 亢, is pronounced "gang".

This was why Du Zeng later rebelled in Jingzhou.)

二月,壬子朔,日有食之。

5. In the second month, on the new moon of the day Renzi (March 24th), there was an eclipse.

石勒築壘於葛陂,課農造舟,將攻建業。琅邪王睿大集江南之衆於壽春,以鎭東長史紀瞻爲揚威將軍,都督諸軍以討之。

6. Shi Le built fortifications at Ge Slope. He began farming and built ships there, planning to attack Jianye.

The Prince of Langye, Sima Rui, gathered together all the soldiers of the Southland at Shouchun. He appointed the Chief Clerk to the General Who Guards The East, Ji Zhan, as General Who Displays Might, granting him command over these armies to campaign against Shi Le.

〈《皇覽》:汝南郡鮦陽縣有葛陂。賢曰:葛陂,在今豫州新蔡縣西北。〉〈睿爲鎭東大將軍,署瞻長史。〉

(The Imperial Mirror states, "There is a Ge Slope in Tongyang County in Runan commandary." Li Xian remarked, "Ge Slope is in the northwest of Xincai County in modern Yuzhou."

Sima Rui was himself the Grand General Who Guards The East, so Ji Zhan was his Chief Clerk.)

會大雨,三月不止,勒軍中飢疫,死者太半,聞晉軍將至,集將佐議之。右長史刁膺請先送款於睿,求掃平河朔以自贖,俟其軍退,徐更圖之,勒愀然長嘯。中堅將軍夔安請就高避水,勒曰:「將軍何怯邪!」孔萇等三十餘將請各將兵分道夜攻壽春,斬吳將頭,據其城,食其粟,要以今年破丹陽,定江南。勒笑曰:「是勇將之計也!」各賜鎧馬一疋。顧謂張賓曰:「於君意何如?」賓曰:「將軍攻陷京師,囚執天子,殺害王公,妻略妃主,擢將軍之髮,不足以數將軍之罪,柰何復相臣奉乎!去年旣殺王彌,不當來此;今天降霖雨於數百里中,示將軍不應留此也。鄴有三臺之固,西接平陽,山河四塞,北徙據之,以經營河北,河北旣定,天下無處將軍之右者矣。晉之保壽春,畏將軍往攻之耳;彼聞吾去,喜於自全,何暇追襲吾後,爲吾不利邪!將軍宜使輜重從北道先發,將軍引大兵向壽春。輜重旣遠,大兵徐還,何憂進退無地乎!」勒攘袂鼓髥曰:「張君計是也!」責刁膺曰:「君旣相輔佐,當共成大功,柰何遽勸孤降!此策應斬!然素知君怯,特相宥耳。」於是黜膺爲將軍,擢賓爲右長史,號曰「右侯」。

7. At that time, great storms sprang up, and it kept on raining even into the third month. Shi Le's army suffered from hunger and plague, and more than half of them died. When they heard that Sima Rui's army was approaching, Shi Le and his subordinates gathered together to discuss what to do.

Shi Le's Chief Clerk of the Right, Diao Ying, proposed that Shi Le should first send an offer of submission to Sima Rui, offering to pacify the Yellow River region to atone for his crimes against Jin. Then, once Sima Rui's army had withdrawn, they would have time to decide on their next move. In response to that, Shi Le only uttered a sorrowful cry.

Next, the General of Central Firmness, Kui An, asked that they move the army to higher ground in order to get away from the water. Shi Le replied, "General, why are you so cowardly?"

Then, Kong Chang and others, more than thirty generals, asked that they each lead their own detachments along separate roads to launch a night attack on Shouchun. They proposed to behead the Wu generals, occupy their cities, eat their grain, and break into Danyang and conquer the Southland in the space of a year. Shi Le laughed and said, "Now that is the sort of plan for bold generals!" And he granted each of them a roll of horse armor.

Then Shi Le turned to Zhang Bin and asked him, "Sir, what do you think?"

Zhang Bin replied, "General, you have attacked Jin's capital, imprisoned their Son of Heaven, killed and harmed their princes and nobles, and ravished their concubines and princesses. If you were to pluck out one hair on your head for every such crime against them, General, you would run out of hairs before you ran out of crimes. How then could you return to being their servant? Since you killed Wang Mi last year, you should not have come here. And Heaven itself is pouring out these storms upon you for hundreds of li around as a warning that you should not remain in this place.

"Now the city of Ye has the sturdy defenses of the Three Terraces, it is close to Pingyang to the west, and it is flanked on all sides by mountains and rivers. You should move north and capture Ye. Once you have Ye, you can use it to conquer the whole region north of the Yellow River, and once Hebei is yours, General, there will be no one in all the realm who can stand against you.

"Jin is only guarding Shouchun right now because they are afraid you will march to attack them. Once they hear that we have left, they will be glad just to have survived. How could they have any thought of pursuing us to strike our rear, since we would get the better of them? General, you should send the supply carts back north first, while you lead the bulk of the army towards Shouchun. Once the supply carts are far away enough from here, then you can double back with the main body after them. Why should you fear either to advance or retreat and so go nowhere?"

Shi Le shook out his sleeves, stroked his beard, and declared, "It shall be just as Sir Zhang says!" And he blamed Diao Ying, saying, "Sir, since you had such an important role in helping support my endeavors, you ought to have been proposing a way to assist me in completing great things. How could you have urged me to surrender to Jin? For such a proposal, I ought to behead you! But since I've always known you to be a coward, I will show you some special favor." So he demoted Diao Ying to being just a general, while he promoted Zhang Bin to Diao Ying’s post as Chief Clerk of the Right, and he called Zhang Bin "Marquis of the Right".

〈中堅將軍,蓋石勒所置。《姓譜》:夔姓,春秋夔子之後。〉〈言其不逆計勝敗,但勇於赴敵耳。〉〈擢,拔也;拔其髮以數其罪猶不足,言其罪多也。〉〈《水經註》:鄴城西北有三臺,皆因城爲之基,漢建安十五年魏武所起。中曰銅臺,高十丈,其後石虎更增二丈;南則金雀臺,高八丈;北則冰井臺,亦高八丈。〉〈謂近漢都,可以壯聲援。〉〈自古國於東南,率多爲自保之計,亦自量其力之不足以進也,賓料之審矣。〉

(General of Central Resolve was a rank that Shi Le himself had created.

The Registry of Surnames states, "Those with the surname 夔 Kui are the descendants of the Viscount of Kui from the Spring and Autumn era."

Shi Le's remark about Kong Chang's plan was that it did not develop some special strategy for determining victory or defeat, but merely proposed to boldly meet the enemy in battle.

To pluck means to pull out. Zhang Bin was saying if Shi Le plucked one hair for each crime, he would not have enough hairs; in other words, he had too many crimes to surrender.

The Commentary on the Water Classic states, "Northwest of the city of Ye are the Three Terraces. They all use the walls of the city as their foundations. In Han's fifteenth year of Jian'an (210), Wu of Wei (Cao Cao) built these Three Terraces. The central one was called the Copper [Bird] Terrace; it was originally ten zhang tall, and Shi Hu later extended it to twelve zhang. The southern one was called the Golden Sparrow Terrace, and it was eight zhang tall. The northern one was called the Frozen Well Terrace, and it too was eight zhang tall."

Zhang Bin was saying that Ye was close to the Han capital at Pingyang, so it could easily be reinforced by them.

Ever since ancient times, the states south of the Yangzi had been able to muster enough soldiers to defend themselves, but they did not have the capacity to advance against the north; this was the reason for Zhang Bin's estimation.)

勒引兵發葛陂,遣石虎帥騎二千向壽春,遇晉運船,虎將士爭取之,爲紀瞻所敗。瞻追奔百里,前及勒軍,勒結陳待之;瞻不敢擊,退還壽春。

8. Shi Le led his soldiers out from Ge Slope, sending Shi Hu to lead two thousand cavalry towards Shouchun. These cavalry encountered Jin's forces building boats, and Shi Hu led his soldiers to attack and capture the boats, but they were defeated by Ji Zhan. Ji Zhan then pursued the fleeing cavalry for a hundred li, until he ran into Shi Le's army. Shi Le placed his soldiers in a defensive formation to await an attack, but Ji Zhan did not dare to attack them, and he fell back and returned to Shouchun.

漢主聰封帝爲會稽郡公,加儀同三司。聰從容謂帝曰:「卿昔爲豫章王,與王武子造卿,武子稱朕於卿,卿言聞其名久矣,贈朕柘弓銀硏;卿頗記否?」帝曰:「臣安敢忘之!但恨爾日不早識龍顏!」聰曰:「卿家骨肉何相殘如此?」帝曰:「大漢將應天受命,故爲陛下自相驅除,此殆天意,非人事也!且臣家若能奉武皇帝之業,九族敦睦,陛下何由得之!」聰喜,以小劉貴人妻帝,曰:「此名公之孫也,卿善遇之。」

9. Liu Cong changed Emperor Huai's title from Duke of Ping'a to Duke of Kuaiji, with the same authority as the Three Excellencies.

Liu Cong casually asked Emperor Huai, "When you were still just the Prince of Yuzhang, you and Wang Wuzi (Wang Ji) were hosting me, and Wang Wuzi introduced me to you. You said you had heard of my name for a long time, and you gave me a bow crafted from cudrania wood and a silver inkstone. Do you still remember?"

Emperor Huai replied, "How could I dare to forget it? But what I regret was that I did not realize back then that I was in the presence of a dragon!"

Liu Cong asked him, "How was it that your family tore themselves apart as they did, the flesh from the bones?"

Emperor Huai replied, "It was because your great state of Han was about to receive Heaven's mandate. To oblige Your Majesty, we fought one another. That was Heaven's will, not the actions of men! Besides, if my family had been able to maintain Emperor Wu's (Sima Yan's) endeavor, and all our clan had remained in harmony, how could Your Majesty have been able to overcome us?"

Liu Cong was pleased, and he granted Emperor Huai the youngest of his Honored Women as a wife, telling him, "She is the granddaughter of a famous minister; you are fortunate to have met her."

〈王濟,字武子。〉

(Wang Ji's style name was Wuzi. He was the son of Wang Hun.)

代公猗盧遣兵救晉陽,三月,乙未,漢兵敗走。卜珝之卒先奔,靳沖擅收珝,斬之;聰大怒,遣使持節斬沖。

10. The Duke of Dai, Tuoba Yilu, sent troops to rescue Jinyang from the Han siege. In the third month, on the day Yiwei (May 6th), the Han soldiers were defeated and fled. Bo Ku's soldiers were the first to retreat, so Jin Chong arbitrarily arrested Bo Ku and beheaded him. Liu Cong was furious at this, and he sent an envoy bearing credentials who executed Jin Chong.

聰納其舅子輔漢將軍張寔二女徽光、麗光爲貴人,太后張氏之意也。

11. Liu Cong claimed the two daughters of his General Who Upholds Han, his brother-in-law Zhang Shi, as two more of his Honored Women. Their names were Zhang Huiguang and Zhang Liguang. It was Empress Dowager Zhang's idea to select them.

〈此別一張寔,非河西張軌之子。〉〈張氏,淵之側室,生聰,尊爲太后。〉

(Despite having exactly the same name, this 張寔 Zhang Shi was not the same 張寔 Zhang Shi who was the son of Jin's Inspector of Liangzhou, Zhang Gui.

This Lady Zhang had been Liu Yuan's secondary wife. Liu Cong was her son, so he honored her as Empress Dowager.)

涼州主簿馬魴說張軌:「宜命將出師,翼戴帝室。」軌從之,馳檄關中,共尊輔秦王;且言︰「今遣前鋒督護宋配帥步騎二萬,徑趨長安;西中郎將寔帥中軍三萬,武威太守張琠帥胡騎二萬,絡繹繼發。」

12. The Registrar to the Inspector of Liangzhou, Ma Fang, advised Zhang Gui, "You ought to respond to the imperial order and lead your troops to the capital, to provide assistance to the imperial clan."

Zhang Gui followed his advice, and immediately sent out proclamations throughout Guanzhong, stating he would honor and uphold the Prince of Qin, Sima Ye. He also proclaimed, "I am now sending the Protector of the Vanguard, Song Pei, to lead twenty thousand horse and foot directly to Chang'an. The General of the Household Gentlemen of the West, Zhang Shi, shall lead thirty thousand soldiers from the Army of the Center, and the Administrator of Wuwei, Zhang Tian, shall lead twenty thousand tribal cavalry, to follow behind in a continuous line."

〈絡繹,相繼不絕之意。〉

(By a continuous line, he meant a line that had no breaks in it.)

夏,四月,丙寅,征南將軍山簡卒。

13. In summer, the fourth month, on the day Bingyin (June 6th), Jin's General Who Conquers The South, Shan Jian, passed away.

漢主聰封其子敷爲渤海王,驥爲濟南王,鸞爲燕王,鴻爲楚王,勱爲齊王,權爲秦王,操爲魏王,持爲趙王。

14. Liu Cong appointed his sons to princely titles. He appointed Liu Fu as Prince of Bohai, Liu Ji as Prince of Jinan, Liu Luan as Prince of Yan, Liu Mai as Prince of Chu, Liu Quan as Prince of Qin, Liu Cao as Prince of Wei, and Liu Chi as Prince of Zhao.

聰以魚蟹不供,斬左都水使者襄陵王攄;作溫明、徽光二殿未成,斬將作大匠望都公靳陵。觀漁於汾水,昏夜不歸。中軍大將軍王彰諫曰:「比觀陛下所爲,臣實痛心疾首。今愚民歸漢之志未專,思晉之心猶盛,劉琨咫尺,刺客縱橫;帝王輕出,一夫敵耳。願陛下改往修來,則億兆幸甚!」聰大怒,命斬之;王夫人叩頭乞哀,乃囚之。太后張氏以聰刑罰過差,三日不食;太弟义、單于粲輿櫬切諫。聰怒曰:「吾豈桀、紂,而汝輩生來哭人!」太宰延年、太保殷等公卿、列侯百餘人,皆免冠涕泣曰:「陛下功高德厚,曠世少比,往也唐、虞,今則陛下。而頃來以小小不供,亟斬王公;直言忤旨,遽囚大將。此臣等竊所未解,故相與憂之,忘寢與食。」聰慨然曰:「朕昨大醉,非其本心,微公等言之,朕不聞過。」各賜帛百匹,使侍中持節赦彰曰:「先帝賴君如左右手,君著勳再世,朕敢忘之!此段之過,希君蕩然。君能盡懷憂國,朕所望也。今進君驃騎將軍、定襄郡公,後有不逮,幸數匡之!」

15. Liu Cong was not provided with fish and crabs to his satisfaction, and so he beheaded the Capital Waterways Manager of the Left and Prince of Xiangling, Liu Chu. Liu Cong was building the two Wanming and Huiguang Halls, but before they were completed, he beheaded the Director of Architects and Duke of Wangdu, Jin Ling. Liu Cong spent his time watching the fish in the Fen River, not returning even by dusk or nightfall.

The Grand General of the Central Army, Wang Zhang, remonstrated with him, saying, "Your Majesty, seeing you act like this is causing headaches and heartbreaks for your ministers. Even one so foolish as I am can tell that the people have not yet fully come over to the side of Han, and they still have great regard for Jin in their hearts. Furthermore, Liu Kun is close at hand, and assassins lurk around every corner. When a king or emperor ventures out for the slightest reasons, even a single man can overcome him. Your Majesty, I pray you will reform yourself and turn back towards virtue, in order to restore good fortune!"

Liu Cong was furious with this admonishment, and he ordered Wang Zhang to be beheaded as well. But Lady Wang kowtowed and begged for her father's life, and so Wang Zhang was merely thrown in jail.

Empress Dowager Zhang considered that Liu Cong had gone too far in his punishments, and she refused to eat for three days. And Liu Yi and the Chanyu, Liu Cong's son Liu Can, bound themselves to coffins before coming to sharply rebuke Liu Cong as well. Exasperated, Liu Cong said, "What have I done that comes close to the tyranny of King Jie of Xia or King Zhou of Shang? And yet you all come crying to me for these people!"

Even Liu Yannian, Liu Yin, and the other chief ministers, along with more than a hundred other nobles, took off their caps and wept as they said to Liu Cong, "Your Majesty, your achievements are vast and your virtues are profound. In all of time, there have been few who could compare with you. From the age of Tang and Yu (Emperors Yao and Shun) until now, no one has equalled you. But now you have changed. Because of slight failings, you have gone so far as to execute a prince and a duke, and when met with forthright words against such personal grudges, you even hastily imprisoned a great general. No one knows where all this might end, and so everyone lives in fear, so scared that they even forget to sleep or eat."

Liu Cong was ashamed, and he told them, "Up until now, I have behaved like a great drunkard, and forgotten my original resolve. Had it not been for your words, I never would have heard of my trespasses." He rewarded each of them with a hundred bolts of silk.

He also sent a Palace Attendant with a Staff of Authority to pardon Wang Zhang, telling him, "Sir, His Late Majesty considered you like one of his own hands. Your good deeds stretch even into this age, and how could I dare to have forgotten them? I pray that you can put this incident behind us. So long as you can exert your full feelings and regard for the state, Sir, I shall support you. I now promote you as General of the Agile Cavalry and Duke of Dingxiang commandary. From now on, if I should have any shortcomings, do all that you can to rectify them!"

〈襄陵縣,漢屬河東郡,晉屬平陽郡。觀後所謂亟斬王公,則攄亦劉氏也。攄,抽居翻。〉〈謂平陽去晉陽不遠也。〉〈王夫人,彰女也。〉〈王公,謂劉攄、靳陵;大將,謂王彰。〉〈解,曉也。〉

(During Han, Xiangling County was part of Hedong commandary. During Jin, it was part of Pingyang commandary.

We see from later in this passage that the nobles mention that Liu Cong has executed "a prince and a duke", so it must be that we should read 襄陵王攄 as "Prince of Xiangling, Liu Chu" rather than as "Wang Chu of Xiangling". His given name 攄 is pronounced "chu (ch-u)".

Regarding Liu Kun, Wang Zhang was saying that his base at Jinyang was not far from the Han capital at Pingyang.

Lady Wang was the daughter of Wang Zhang.

When the nobles say "a prince and a duke", they mean Liu Chu and Jin Ling; when they say "a great general", they mean Wang Zhang.

解 in this passage means "clear".)

王彌旣死,漢安北將軍趙固、平北將軍王桑恐爲石勒所幷,欲引兵歸平陽,軍中乏糧,士卒相食,乃自䂭磽津西渡。劉琨以兄子演爲魏郡太守,鎭鄴,桑恐演邀之,遣長史臨深爲質於琨。琨以固爲雍州刺史,桑爲豫州刺史。

16. It was earlier mentioned that Shi Le had killed the Han general Wang Mi. Han's General Who Maintains The North, Zhao Gu, and their General Who Pacifies The North, Wang Mi's younger brother Wang Sang, feared that Shi Le would come for them next. So they led their troops back towards Pingyang. Their armies were so short of grain that the soldiers ate one another. They crossed west over the Yellow River at Qiaoniao Crossing, and attacked and plundered the counties of Hebei commandary.

Liu Kun had appointed his nephew Liu Yan as Administrator of Wei commandary, stationed at Ye. Zhao Gu and Wang Sang feared that Liu Yan would intercept them, so he (or, they) sent his (or, the) Chief Clerk Lin Shen to Liu Kun as a hostage. Liu Kun appointed Zhao Gu as Jin's Inspector of Yongzhou, and Wang Sang as their Inspector of Yuzhou.

〈事見上卷上年。〉〈磽,牛交翻。〉〈【章:甲十一行本「劉」上有「攻掠河北郡縣」六字;乙十一行本同;孔本同;張校同;退齋校同。】〉〈【章:甲十一行本「鄴」下有「固」字;乙十一行本同;孔本同;張校同;退齋校同。】〉〈《姓譜》︰臨姓,大臨之後。〉

(The details of Shi Le killing Wang Mi are mentioned in Book 87, in the fifth year of Yongjia (311.33).

The second character in the name of Qiaoniao Crossing, 磽, is pronounced "niao (n-iao)".

Some versions add that Wang Sang and Zhao Guo "attacked and plundered the counties of Hebei commandary".

Some versions phrase the second to last sentence as "Zhao Gu and Wang Sang" instead of just "Wang Sang".

The Registry of Surnames states, "Those with the surname 臨 Lin are the descendants of Da Lin.")

賈疋等圍長安數月,漢中山王曜連戰皆敗,驅掠士女八萬餘口,奔于平陽。秦王業自雍入于長安。五月,漢王聰貶曜爲龍驤大將軍,行大司馬。聰使河內王粲攻傅祗於三渚,右將軍劉參攻郭默於懷;會祗病薨,城陷,粲遷祗子孫幷其士民二萬餘戶于平陽。

17. Jia Ya and the other Jin loyalists in Guanzhong besieged Chang'an for several months. Han's Prince of Zhongshan, Liu Yao, tried to fight them off several times, but was always defeated. In the end, he forced more than eighty thousand men and women to leave with him as he fled back to Pingyang. Sima Ye then came from Yongzhou to enter Chang'an. In the fifth month, Liu Cong demoted Liu Yao to Grand Dragon-Soaring General, although he maintained his duties as Grand Commander.

Liu Cong sent his Prince of Henei, his son Liu Can, to attack Fu Zhi at Sanzhu, and sent his General of the Right, Liu Can, to attack the Jin general Guo Mo at Huai. Fu Zhi soon fell ill and passed away, and Liu Can broke into his city. He sent Fu Zhi's sons and grandsons, as well as more than twenty thousand households from his city, back to Pingyang.

〈據《祗傳》,祗屯盟津小城。盟津河平侯祠有二渚,又有淘渚,故亦曰三渚。〉

(According to the Biography of Fu Zhi in the Book of Jin, Fu Zhi was at this time camped at a small fort at Meng Crossing. There were two islets at Meng Crossing at the fief of the Marquis of Heping, Ci, and there was also Tao Islet; thus the place was called Sanzhu ("Three Islets").)

六月,漢主聰欲立貴嬪劉英爲皇后;張太后欲立貴人張徽光,聰不得已,許之。英尋卒。

18. In the sixth month, Liu Cong wanted to appoint his Honored Lady, Liu Ying, as his Empress. However, Empress Dowager Zhang favored Liu Cong's Honored Woman, Zhang Huiguang, instead. Liu Cong had no other choice, so he agreed with her wishes. Liu Ying soon passed away.

漢大昌文獻公劉殷卒。殷爲相,不犯顏忤旨,然因事進規,補益甚多。漢主聰每與羣臣議政事,殷無所是非;羣臣出,殷獨留,爲聰敷暢條理,商榷事宜,聰未嘗不從之。殷常戒子孫曰:「事君當務幾諫。凡人尚不可面斥其過,況萬乘乎!夫幾諫之功,無異犯顏,但不彰君之過,所以爲優耳。」官至侍中、太保、錄尚書,賜劍履上殿、入朝不趨、乘輿入殿。然殷在公卿間,常恂恂有卑讓之色,故能處驕暴之國,保其富貴,不失令名,以壽考自終。

19. In Han, Liu Yin passed away. He was posthumously known as Duke Wenxian ("the Cultured and Presented") of Dachang.

During the time that Liu Yin served as a minister, he never showed expressions indicating that he disapproved of decrees. But there were a great many things which he patched up or improved in the furtherance of affairs. Whenever Liu Cong held a council with his ministers and discussed what he planned to do, Liu Yin never spoke against him during open council. But after the other ministers left, Liu Yin would remain behind alone with Liu Cong. Then Liu Yin would explain and make clear everything for Liu Cong, and offer his own ideas on what should be done, and Liu Cong never failed to follow Liu Yin's suggestions.

Liu Yin often warned his sons and grandsons, "A ruler of men must be one who is amenable to constant criticism in the undertaking of his duties. Now of course there is no man who really appreciates having his transgressions brought up to his face, much less a ruler of ten thousand chariots! So it is a merit when one tactfully rebukes their sovereign, and does not display a contrary or disodient expression. It is only the person who does not point out their sovereign's transgressions who has reason to fear."

Liu Yin advanced in office under Han as far as Palace Attendant, Grand Guardian, and Chief of the Masters of Writing. He was granted the honors of entering court while still wearing his sword and shoes and without needing to hasten his step, as well as being allowed to enter the Hall while riding in a carriage. But even when Liu Yin was among such exalted company as nobles and chief ministers, he was often unassuming and wore a humble and yielding expression. This was why he was able to manage in such a arrogant and violent state. And so he protected his own wealth and honor without losing his office or reputation, and he lived out his full life to die of natural causes.

〈宋白曰:隰州隰川縣,漢蒲子縣;劉淵僭亂,置大昌郡。〉〈商,度也;榷者,舉其略也。〉〈幾諫者,見微而諫也。侯希聖曰:事君,有顯諫者,有幾諫者。然而溫柔忠厚者,其說多行,訐直強勁者,其說多忤,夫是以貴幾諫也。〉

(Song Bai remarked, "Xichuan County in Xizhou was Han's Puzi County. When Liu Yuan claimed the throne and rose in rebellion, he created Dachang commandary."

商 here means to consider; to 榷者 means to suggest one's own plans.

Liu Yin uses the term 幾諫. One who is 幾諫 is one who sees shortcomings and rebukes them. Houxi Sheng remarked, "When it comes to rulers, there are those who rebuke them openly and those who rebuke them tactfully. As for the latter, in using soft and loyally favorable words, most of what he says is put into effect; as for the former, in exposing transgressions with forthright words and strong spirit, most of what he says is held against him. It is thus honorable to be one who rebukes tactfully.")

漢主聰以河間王易爲車騎將軍,彭城王翼爲衞將軍,並典兵宿衞。高平王悝爲征南將軍,鎭離石;濟南王驥爲征西將軍,築西平城以居之;魏王操爲征東將軍,鎭蒲子。

20. Liu Cong appointed the Prince of Hejian, Liu Yii, as General of Chariots and Cavalry, and the Prince of Pengcheng, Liu Yiy, as Guard General; both of them were given command of the household guards. He appointed the Prince of Gaoping, Liu Kui, as General Who Conquers The South, stationed at Lishi. He appointed the Prince of Jinan, Wang Ji, as General Who Conquers The West, and built the city of Xiping for him to reside in. He appointed the Prince of Wei, Liu Cao, as General Who Conquers The East, stationed at Puzi.

〈西平城,當築於平陽西。〉

(The city of Xiping was built west of Pingyang.)

趙固、王桑自懷求迎於漢,漢主聰遣鎭遠將軍梁伏疵將兵迎之。未至,長史臨深、將軍牟穆帥衆一萬叛歸劉演。固隨疵而西,桑引其衆東奔青州,固遣兵追殺之於曲梁,桑將張鳳帥其餘衆歸演。聰以固爲荊州刺史、領河南太守,鎭洛陽。

21. Zhao Gu and Wang Sang marched from Huai, asking to return to Han. Liu Cong sent his General Who Guards Distant Places, Liangfu Ji, to led troops to receive them. But before Liangfu Ji arrived, the Chief Clerk Lin Shen and the general Mou Mu led ten thousand of Zhao Gu's and Wang Sang's troops in rebellion, and they went over to the Jin official Liu Yan at Ye. Zhao Gu followed Liangfu Ji back west, but Wang Sang brought his own forces east to flee back to Qingzhou. Zhao Gu sent his soldiers to pursue and kill Wang Sang at Quliang. Wang Sang's general Zhang Feng led his remaining soldiers to join Liu Yan as well. Liu Cong appointed Zhao Gu as Inspector of Jingzhou and acting Administrator of Henan, stationed at Luoyang.

〈疵,疾移翻。〉〈曲梁縣,屬廣平郡;曹魏置廣平郡,治曲梁城。劉昫曰:唐洺州永年縣,漢曲梁縣地也。〉

(Liangfu Ji's given name 疵 is pronounced "ji (j-i)".

Quliang County was part of Guangping commandary. When Cao-Wei created Guangping commandary, it was administered from the city of Quliang. Liu Xu remarked, "Yongnian County in Tang's Mingzhou was within the territory of Han's Quliang County.")

石勒自葛陂北行,所過皆堅壁清野,虜掠無所獲,軍中飢甚,士卒相食。至東燕,聞汲郡向冰聚衆數千壁枋頭,勒將濟河,恐冰邀之。張賓曰:「聞冰船盡在瀆中未上,宜遣輕兵間道襲取,以濟大軍,大軍旣濟,冰必可擒也。」秋,七月,勒使支雄、孔萇自文石津縛筏潛渡,取其船。勒引兵自棘津濟河,擊冰,大破之,盡得其資儲,軍勢復振,遂長驅至鄴。劉演保三臺以自固,臨深、牟穆等復帥其衆降於勒。

22. Shi Le marched back north from Ge Slope. But the places that he passed through had strengthened their defenses and stripped their fields bare. Though his army ravaged and pillaged, they could not capture anything. The army suffered from extreme hunger, and the officers and soldiers ate one another.

When Shi Le reached Dongyan, he heard that Jin's Administrator of Ji, Xiang Bing, had gathered up a force of several thousand at Fangtou. Shi Le was about to cross over the Yellow River, but he was afraid that Xiang Bing would intercept his crossing.

Zhang Bin told him, "I have heard that all of Xiang Bing's boats are still in a waterway and have not yet been brought up onto the land. You should send some light infantry along byroads to attack and capture those boats, then use them to let the main body cross over the Yellow River. Once your whole host is across, you can certainly capture Xiang Bing."

In autumn, the seventh month, Shi Le sent Zhi Xiong and Kong Chang to Wenshi Crossing, where they fashioned rafts and secretly crossed over the Yellow River and then captured the boats. Then Shi Le led the rest of his troops to Ji Crossing and crossed over the Yellow River. He attacked Xiang Bing and greatly routed him, capturing all of his funds and stores.

With his army's strength restored, Shi Le pressed on and advanced to Ye. Liu Yan defended himself in the Three Terraces at Ye, but Lin Shen, Mou Mu, and his other commanders led their men to surrender to Shi Le.

〈據《水經》︰東燕城在酸棗縣東。河水自酸棗東北過延津,又逕東燕縣故城北。余考兩《漢志》,東郡有燕縣,無東燕縣,其卽是歟?魏收《地形志》,東燕縣,晉屬濮陽國。賢曰:東燕故城,今滑州胙城縣。〉〈《水經》︰淇水至黎陽入河,在遮害亭西十八里。漢建安九年,魏武於水口下大枋木以成堰,遏淇水東入白溝,以通漕運,故時人號其處曰枋頭。杜佑曰:枋頭在今汲郡衞縣界。宋白曰:枋頭城,在今衞縣南,去河八里。向,姓也。〉〈未上者,未上岸。船不用,則推之登陸,使遠水而燥,他日輕,便於駕用。〉〈《水經》︰河水逕東燕縣故城北,河水於是有棘津之名。〉

(According to the Water Classic, "The city of Dongyan is in the east of Suanzao County. The Yellow River flows northeast from Suanzao to Yan Crossing, and then on north of the capital city of Dongyan County." From what I, Hu Sanxing, know, the two Records of Han mention that there was a Yan County in Dong commandary, but they do not mentioned a Dongyan County. What to make of that? Wei Shou's Geographical Records does mention a Dongyan County, which during Jin was part of the Puyang princely fief. Li Xian remarked, "The capital city of Dongyan was in Zuocheng County in modern Huazhou."

Also according to the Water Classic, "When the Qi River reaches Liyang, it enters the Yellow River, eighteen li west of Zhehai Point. In Han's ninth year of Jian'an (204), Wu of Wei (Cao Cao) built a weir at the rivermouth, beneath a great lumber tree, and redirected the Qi River east into Bai Canal, in order to facilitate supply movements. So the people of that time called this place Fangtou ('lumber head')." Du You remarked, "Fangtou was within Wei County in modern Ji commandary." Song Bai remarked, "The city of Fangtou was in the south of modern Wei County, eight li from the Yellow River."

向 Xiang is a surname.

Zhang Bin says that Xiang Bing's boats have "not yet been brought up"; he means brought up onto the riverbank. When boats are not in use, then they are pushed up onto the dry land. They are brought away from the river and then dried. After a day of this, they can be harnessed again.

The Water Classic still further states, "The Yellow River flows north of the capital city of Dongyan County, where there is a place called Ji Crossing.")

諸將欲攻三臺,張賓曰:「演雖弱,衆猶數千,三臺險固,攻之未易猝拔,捨而去之,彼將自潰。方今王彭祖、劉越石,公之大敵也,宜先取之,演不足顧也。且天下饑亂,明公雖擁大兵,遊行羈旅,人無定志,非所以保萬全,制四方也。不若擇便地而據之,廣聚糧儲,西稟平陽以圖幽、幷,此霸王之業也。邯鄲、襄國,形勝之地,請擇一而都之。」勒曰:「右侯之計是也!」遂進據襄國。

23. Shi Le's generals wanted to assault the Three Terraces. But Zhang Bin said, "Although Liu Yan is weak, he still has several thousand defenders, and the Three Terraces are a sturdy fortification. If we assault them, it will not be easy to take them. But if we leave them be and go elsewhere, they will fall apart of their own accord. Right now, your true enemies are Wang Pengzu (Wang Jun) and Liu Yueshi (Liu Kun). You should go and overcome them first; Liu Yan is too weak to lend them any assistance.

"Furthermore, the realm is suffering from great hunger and chaos. Your Grace, although you command a great army, and you wander wherever you will, the people have no set desires; this is not the way to protect yourself against all circumstances or control the four corners of the realm. It would be better to select a place and occupy it, where you can gather up stores of grain and other supplies. Then inform Pingyang to the west of your intentions to conquer Youzhou and Bingzhou. That shall be a hegemon king's endeavor. Handan and Xiangguo are places that are suited for victory. Choose one of them and make it your capital."

Shi Le declared, "The Marquis of the Right's plan it is!" And he advanced and occupied Xiangguo.

〈王浚,字彭祖;劉琨,字越石。〉〈幽,王浚;幷,劉琨。〉〈邯鄲縣,漢屬趙國,晉屬廣平。襄國縣,秦爲信都,項羽改曰襄國,漢屬趙國,晉屬廣平。而信都別爲縣,前漢屬信都國,後漢屬安平國。宋白曰:隋改襄國爲龍岡縣,唐爲邢州所治也。〉

(Wang Jun's style name was Pengzu; Liu Kun's style name was Yueshi.

By Youzhou and Bingzhou, Zhang Bin more specifically meant Wang Jun and Liu Kun.

During Han, Handan County was part of the Zhao princely fief. During Jin, it was part of Guangping commandary. Xiangguo County had originally been created by Qin as Xindu. Xiang Yu renamed it to Xiangguo. During Han, it was part of the Zhao princely fief. During Jin, it was part of Guangping commandary. Xindu was recreated as another county; during Former Han, it was part of the Xindu princely fief, and during Later Han, it was part of the Anping princely fief. Song Bai remarked, "Sui renamed Xiangguo to Longgang County. During Tang, it was administered by Xingzhou.")

賓復言於勒曰:「今吾居此,彭祖、越石所深忌也,恐城塹未固,資儲未廣,二寇交至。宜亟收野穀,且遣使至平陽,具陳鎭此之意。」勒從之,分命諸將攻冀州,郡縣壁壘多降,運其穀以輸襄國;且表於漢主聰,聰以勒爲都督冀‧幽‧幷‧營四州諸軍事、冀州牧,進封上黨公。

24. Then Zhang Bin said to Shi Le, "Now that you have taken up residence here, Pengzu and Yueshi will be deeply wary of you. I fear that before you can complete your walls and defenses, and before you can gather up enough goods and supplies, the two of them will both attack you. You ought to forage for as much grain as you can, while you send someone to Pingyang explaining why you are guarding this place."

Shi Le followed his advice. He split up his forces into several groups to go attack Jizhou, where most of the forts and ramparts in the counties and commandaries there surrendered to him, and so his forces transported their grain stores back to Xiangguo.

Shi Le also sent a petition to Liu Cong, and so Liu Cong appointed him as Commander of military forces in Jizhou, Youzhou, Bingzhou, and Yingzhou, as well as Governor of Jizhou. Liu Cong also advanced Shi Le's title to Duke of Shangdang.

〈營州不在《晉太康地志》十九州之數。《晉‧地理志》:咸寧二年,分昌黎、遼東、玄菟、帶方、樂浪等郡國五,置平州;至慕容熙據和龍,始於宿軍置營州,以刺史鎭之;拓跋魏置營州於和龍。勒時未有營州也。《郡國志》:營州地當營室分,故曰營州。〉

(This passage mentions a 營州 Yingzhou. This Yingzhou does not appear among the nineteen provinces mentioned in the Geographical Records of Jin's Taikang Era. According to the Geographical Records chapter of the Book of Jin, "In the second year of Xianning (276), Jin split off the commandaries of Changli, Liaodong, Xuantu, Daifang, Leliang, and other commandaries and princely fiefs, five in all, and formed Pingzhou from them." When Murong Xi occupied Helong, that was when he first created Yingzhou at Sujun, and appointed an Inspector to guard it. Northern Wei created Yingzhou at Helong. During Shi Le's time, there was not yet any such province as Yingzhou. The Records of Commandaries and Fiefs states, "The territory of Yingzhou was divided at Yingshi, thus the name Yingzhou.")

劉琨移檄州郡,期以十月會平陽,擊漢。琨素奢豪,喜聲色。河南徐潤以音律得幸於琨,琨以爲晉陽令。潤驕恣,干預政事;護軍令狐盛數以爲言,且勸琨殺之,琨不從。潤譖盛於琨,琨數盛,殺之。琨母曰:「汝不能駕御豪傑以恢遠略,而專除勝己,禍必及我。」

25. Liu Kun sent out proclamations throughout the provinces and commandaries, setting a date in the tenth month to meet at Pingyang and attack Han.

Over time, Liu Kun had been growing more arrogant, and he delighted in sensual pleasures. Xu Run of Henan obtained Liu Kun's favor thanks to his musical performance and appreciation, and so Liu Kun appointed him as Prefect of Jinyang. Xu Run was arrogant and uninhibited, and governed however he liked. The Army Protector, Linghu Sheng, often admonished him, and Linghu Sheng also urged Liu Kun to kill Xu Run, but Liu Kun would not do it. Xu Run then slandered Linghu Sheng to Liu Kun, and after several incidents of this, Liu Kun killed Linghu Sheng. Liu Kun's mother told him, "You were unable to manage and control an arrogant and cruel fellow in order to further long-term plans; even worse, you have let yourself be the one so won over. Disaster will certainly befall us."

盛子泥奔漢,具言虛實。漢主聰大喜,遣河內王粲、中山王曜將兵寇幷州,以令狐泥爲鄕導。琨聞之,東出,收兵於常山及中山,使其將郝詵、張喬將兵拒粲,且遣使求救於代公猗盧。詵、喬俱敗死。粲、曜乘虛襲晉陽,太原太守高喬、幷州別駕郝聿以晉陽降漢。八月,庚戌,琨還救晉陽,不及,帥左右數十騎奔常山。辛亥,粲、曜入晉陽。壬子,令狐泥殺琨父母。

26. Linghu Sheng's son Linghu Ni fled to Han, where he informed them of what Liu Kun's actual situation was. Liu Cong was greatly pleased, and he sent Liu Can and Liu Yao to lead troops to invade Bingzhou, with Linghu Ni acting as their guide.

When Liu Kun heard of the invasion, he marched out to the east, gathering up soldiers in Changshan and Zhongshan commandaries. He also sent his generals He Shen and Zhang Qiao to lead troops to oppose Liu Can. He further sent word to Tuoba Yilu, asking him for assistance again.

He Shen and Zhang Qiao were both defeated and killed. Liu Can and Liu Yao then took advantage of the weak defenses to attack Jinyang. The Administrator of Taiyuan, Gao Qiao, and the Attendant Officer With Separate Carriage to the Inspector of Bingzhou, He Yu, surrendered Jinyang to Han.

In the eighth month, on the day Gengxu (September 18th), Liu Kun returned to rescue Jinyang, but he was unable to. So he led several dozen of his attendant riders to flee to Changshan. On the day Xinhai (September 19th), Liu Can and Liu Yao entered Jinyang. On the day Renzi (September 20th), Linghu Ni killed Liu Kun's mother and father.

〈郝,呼各翻。〉〈《考異》曰:《劉琨傳》曰:「屬龐醇降于聰,鴈門烏丸復反,琨親出禦之,粲乘虛襲取晉陽。」按:琨《上太子牋》曰:「聰以七月十六日復決計送死,臣卽自東下,率中山、常山之卒,並合樂平、上黨諸軍,未旋之間,而晉陽傾潰。」《十六國春秋》亦云「琨收兵常山」。《本傳》誤也。〉

(He San's surname 郝 is pronounced "he (h-e)".

Sima Guang's commentary in the Textual Analysis states, "The Biography of Liu Kun in the Book of Jin states, 'His subordinate Pang Chun surrendered to Han, and the Wuhuan of Yanmen rebelled again. So Liu Kun personally went out to deal with them. Taking advantage of his absence, Liu Can attacked and captured Jinyang.' However, according to Liu Kun's Response to the Crown Prince, he states, 'On the sixth day of the seventh month, Liu Cong once more devised a plan seeking death. So I went east to gather up the soldiers of Zhongshan and Changshan, as well as bring together the armies of Leping and Shangdang. But before I had completed this task, Jinyang had already fallen.' The Annals of the Sixteen Kingdoms also states, 'Liu Kun gathered up soldiers in Changshan.' So the original Biography is mistaken.")

粲、曜送尚書盧志、侍中許遐、太子右衞率崔瑋于平陽。聰復以曜爲車騎大將軍,以前將軍劉豐爲幷州刺史,鎭晉陽。九月,聰以盧志爲太弟太師,崔瑋爲太傅,許遐爲太保,高喬、令狐泥皆爲武衞將軍。

27. Having captured Jin's Master of Writing, Lu Zhi, their Palace Attendant, Xu Xia, and their Guard Commander of the Right of the Crown Prince, Cui Wei, Liu Can and Liu Yao sent them to Pingyang. Liu Cong restored Liu Yao to his rank as Grand General of Chariots and Cavalry, and he appointing the General of the Front, Liu Feng, as Inspector of Bingzhou, stationed at Jinyang.

In the ninth month, Liu Cong appointed Lu Zhi as Grand Instructor to the Crown Younger Brother, Cui Wei as Grand Tutor to him, and Xu Xia as Grand Guardian to him. He appointed Gao Qiao and Linghu Ni as Guard Generals of Valor.

己卯,漢衞尉梁芬奔長安。

28. On the day Jimao (October 17th), Han's Commandant of the Guards, Liang Fen, fled to Chang'an.

辛巳,賈疋等奉秦王業爲皇太子,建行臺於長安,登壇告類,建宗廟、社稷,大赦。以閻鼎爲太子詹事,總攝百揆;加賈疋征西大將軍,以秦州刺史、南陽王保爲大司馬。命司空荀藩督攝遠近,光祿大夫荀組領司隸校尉、行豫州刺史,與藩共保開封。

29. On the day Xinsi (October 19th), Jia Ya and the other Jin loyalists in Chang'an acclaimed Sima Ye as Crown Prince. They established their own Acting Terrace administration at Chang'an, and raised an altar to inform the spirits. They established an ancestral temple and an altar to soil and grain, and declared a general amnesty.

Yan Ding was appointed as 詹事 to the Crown Prince, in command of the affairs of state. Jia Ya was promoted to Grand General Who Conquers The West, and the Inspector of Qinzhou and Prince of Nanyang, Sima Bao, was appointed as Grand Marshal.

They issued orders that the Minister of Works, Xun Fan, would be in charge of events near and far, and the Household Counselor With Golden Tassel, Xun Zu, would be acting Colonel-Director of Retainers and acting Inspector of Yuzhou, and he and Xun Fan would guard Kaifeng together.

〈《考異》曰:《懷帝紀》云:「賈疋討劉粲於三輔,走之,關中小定,奉秦王爲太子。」按:賈疋等以永嘉五年攻劉粲于新豐,粲敗,還平陽;奉秦王入雍城。六年三月,劉曜棄長安走,秦王入長安,漢兵皆已退矣。秦王爲太子時,劉粲方在晉陽。《懷紀》誤。〉〈告類,或攝,或卽位,祭天之禮。舜之攝也,肆類于上帝。孔安國《註》曰:類,謂攝位事類,遂以攝告天及五帝,湯黜夏命,昭告于上天神后,皆其事也。〉〈天子詹事統攝宮僚。時太子建行臺,故以詹事總百揆,特位號未正,其實丞相之職也。〉〈開封縣,漢屬河南郡,晉屬滎陽郡。〉

(Sima Guang's commentary in the Textual Analysis states, "The Annals of Emperor Huai in the Book of Jin states, 'Jia Ya campaigned against Liu Can in the Three Adjuncts region (around Chang'an), and drove him out. With Guanzhong now being somewhat secure, he acclaimed the Prince of Qin (Sima Ye) as Crown Prince.' Now Jia Ya and the other loyalists had attacked Liu Can at Xinfeng in the fifth year of Yongjia (311), and Liu Can had been defeated and returned to Pingyang. Then Sima Ye entered Yongcheng. In the third month of the sixth year of Yongjia (312), Liu Yao abandoned Chang'an and fled, and Sima Ye then entered Chang'an, since the Han soldiers had all already retreated. At the time that Sima Ye was made the Crown Prince, Liu Can was at Pingyang. So the Annals are mistaken."

Informing the spirits is an act which sometimes happens when one assumes power or when one ascends the throne; it is a ritual of offering sacrifices to Heaven. When Emperor Shun assumed power, several times he informed the spirit of the Supreme Emperor. Kong Anguo's Annotations states, "To inform is to recount the events of one's assuming power or accession to the throne. One then informs Heaven and the Five Emperors. When Tang of Shang took the mandate from Xia, he explained himself to the Supreme Heaven and the spirits of the earth.” This was the same sort of event."

The 詹事 to the Son of Heaven directs and oversees his subordinate officials. At this time, the Crown Prince had only established an Acting Terrace administration, and so the 詹事 oversaw the other ministers and affairs. Since the powers of the office had not yet been rectified to its nominal title, the 詹事 was really more the role of a Prime Minister.

During Han, Kaifeng County was part of Henan commandary. During Jin, it was part of Xingyang commandary.)

秦州刺史裴苞據險以拒涼州兵,張寔、宋配等擊破之,苞奔柔凶塢。

30. Jin's Inspector of Qinzhou, Pei Bao, occupied strategic passes to block the soldiers of Liangzhou. Zhang Shi, Song Pei, and other Liangzhou generals attacked and routed him, and Pei Bao fled to the Rouxiong (or, Sangxiong) Fort.

〈【嚴:「柔」改「桑」。】〉

(Some versions have the first character of the name of this fort as 桑 Sang instead of 柔 Rou.)

冬,十月,漢主聰封其子恆爲代王,逞爲吳王,朗爲潁川王,皋爲零陵王,旭爲丹陽王,京爲蜀王,坦爲九江王,晃爲臨川王;以王育爲太保,王彰爲太尉,任顗爲司徒,馬景爲司空,朱紀爲尚書令,范隆爲左僕射,呼延晏爲右僕射。

31. In winter, the tenth month, Liu Cong appointed more of his sons as Princes. He appointed Liu Heng as Prince of Dai, Liu Cheng as Prince of Wu, Liu Lang as Prince of Yingchuan, Liu Gao as Prince of Lingling, Liu Xu as Prince of Danyang, Liu Jing as Prince of Shu, Liu Tan as Prince of Jiujiang, and Liu Huang as Prince of Linchuan.

Liu Cong appointed Wang Yu as Grand Guardian, Wang Zhang as Grand Commandant, Ren Yi as Minister Over The Masses, Ma Jing as Minister of Works, Zhu Ji as Prefect of the Masters of Writing, Fan Long as Supervisor of the Left, and Huyan Yan as Supervisor of the Right.

代公猗盧遣其子六脩及兄子普根、將軍衞雄、范班、箕澹帥衆數萬爲前鋒以攻晉陽,猗盧自帥衆二十萬繼之,劉琨收散卒數千爲之鄕導。六脩與漢中山王曜戰於汾東,曜兵敗,墜馬,中七創。討虜將軍傅虎以馬授曜,曜不受,曰:「卿當乘以自免,吾創已重,自分死此。」虎曰:「虎蒙大王識拔至此,常思效命,今其時矣。且漢室初基,天下可無虎,不可無大王也!」乃扶曜上馬,驅令渡汾,自還戰死。曜入晉陽,夜,與大將軍粲、鎭北大將軍豐掠晉陽之民,踰蒙山而歸。十一月,猗盧追之,戰於藍谷,漢兵大敗,擒劉豐,斬邢延等三千餘級,伏尸數百里。猗盧因大獵壽陽山,陳閱皮肉,山爲之赤。劉琨自營門步入拜謝,固請進軍。猗盧曰:「吾不早來,致卿父母見害,誠以相愧。今卿已復州境,吾遠來,士馬疲弊,且待後舉,劉聰未可滅也。」遺琨馬、牛、羊各千餘疋,車百乘而還,留其將箕澹、段繁等戍晉陽。

32. Tuoba Yilu sent his son Tuoba Liuxiu, his nephew Tuoba Pugen, and his generals Wei Xiong, Fan Ban, and Ji Dan to lead a host of several tens of thousands as a vanguard to attack Jinyang. Tuoba Yilu himself led another host of two hundred thousand to follow behind this vanguard. Liu Kun gathered up several thousand of his scattered soldiers and acted as a guide for the Tuoba army.

Tuoba Liuxiu fought with Liu Yao at Fendong. Liu Yao's army was defeated, his horse was lost, and he was pierced by seven wounds. Han's General Who Campaigns Against Caitiffs, Fu Hu, gave his own horse to Liu Yao. Liu Yao did not want to accept it, telling Fu Hu, "You should take this chance to save yourself. I have already been seriously injured, and this is where I shall die."

Fu Hu replied, "When I was just a nobody, Great Prince, you were the one who brought me as far as I am today. I have often considered how I might repay you, and now that time has come. Besides, the Han royal family is only newly established. The world can do without Fu Hu, Great Prince, but not without you!"

And he lifted Liu Yao onto his horse and sent him back across the Fen River, while Fu Hu himself returned to battle and perished.

Liu Yao returned to Jinyang, where during the night, he, Liu Can, and Liu Feng pillaged the people of Jinyang and then crossed over Mount Meng to return towards Pingyang.

In the eleventh month, Tuoba Yilu pursued them. He fought them at Lan Valley, where the Han soldiers were greatly defeated. Tuoba Yilu captured Liu Feng, and he beheaded Xing Yan and others, more than three thousand altogether. Corpses lay along the roads for several hundred li. Tuoba Yilu then held a great hunt at Mount Shouyang, where he displayed and inspected the flesh and meat, until the mountain ran red.

Liu Kun entered the camp gate on foot and made obeisance to offer his thanks, while asking that the army continue its advance. Tuoba Yilu replied, "It was because I did not come early enough that your mother and father were brought to harm. Truly, the shame is on both of us. But by now, you have already recovered your provincial territory. My army has come a long way, and my soldiers and horses are all weary and exhausted. We should wait for a time and then launch another undertaking. We cannot vanquish Liu Cong yet."

So Tuoba Yilu gave Liu Kun gifts of more than a thousand heads each of horses, oxen, and sheep, along with a hundred carriages, before he went back to his territory. Tuoba Yilu left his generals Ji Dan, Duan Fan, and others to camp at Jinyang.

〈《考異》曰:《十六國春秋》云「遣其子利孫、宥六須」,《載記》云「賓六須」。《劉琨集》云「左、右賢王」,又云「右賢王撲速根」。今從《後魏書》。《考異》又曰:「箕澹」,《十六國春秋》、《後魏書》作「姬澹」。今從《劉琨傳》。〉〈《五代志》,太原郡石艾縣有蒙山。魏收曰:石艾縣,卽漢、晉之上艾縣也。《晉志》,上艾縣,屬樂平郡。又據《五代志》,晉陽縣有蒙山。此蓋蒙山跨晉陽、石艾二縣界也。〉〈藍谷,在蒙山西南。〉〈邢延叛琨,見上卷五年。〉〈壽陽山,在樂平壽陽縣,魏收《地形志》作「受陽縣」,此縣蓋晉置也。宋白曰:壽陽縣,本漢榆次縣地,晉置壽陽縣。〉

(Sima Guang's commentary in the Textual Analysis states, "The Annals of the Sixteen Kingdoms states, 'Tuoba Yilu sent his sons Tuoba Lisun and Tuoba Youliuxu.' The Chronicles of the Book of Jin lists Tuoba Yilu's son's name as 'Tuoba Binliuxu'. The Collected Writings of Liu Kun mentions the 'Worthy Kings of the Left and Right' and 'the Worthy King of the Right, Tuoba Pusugen'. But I follow the account of the Book of Northern Wei."

His commentary further states, "Regarding this 箕 Ji Dan, the Annals of the Sixteen Kingdoms and the Book of Northern Wei records his name as 姬 Ji Dan. But I follow the Biography of Liu Kun in the Book of Jin."

According to the Records of the Five Dynasties, there was a Mount Meng in Shi'ai County in Taiyuan commandary. Wei Shou remarked, "Shi'Ai County was Han's and Jin's Shang'ai County." According to the Records of Jin, Shang'ai County was part of Leping commandary. Also according to the Records of the Five Dynasties, there was a Mount Meng in Jinyang County. So this Mount Meng must have straddled the borders between the two counties of Jinyang and Shi'ai.

Lan Valley was southwest of Mount Meng.

Xing Yan had rebelled against Liu Kun, as mentioned in Book 87 in the fifth year of Yongjia (311.43).

Mount Shouyang was in Shouyang County in Leping commandary. Wei Shou's Geographical Records writes its name as 受 Shouyang rather than 壽 Shouyang. This county must have been created by Jin. Song Bai remarked, "Shouyang County was originally the territory of Han's Yuci County. Jin created Shouyang County.")

琨徙居陽曲,招集亡散。盧諶爲劉粲參軍,亡歸琨,漢人殺其父志及弟謐、詵;贈傅虎幽州刺史。

33. Liu Kun moved his residence to Yangqu, where he gathered up his scattered forces. Lu Shen was serving as an Army Advisor under Liu Can, but he fled to join Liu Kun. So the people of Han killed his father Lu Zhi and his younger brothers Lu Mi and Lu Shenn.

Fu Hu was posthumously appointed as Inspector of Youzhou.

〈陽曲縣,屬太原郡,在晉陽北。〉〈諶,時壬翻。〉〈《考異》曰:《劉聰載記》,「志勸太弟义作亂,被誅。」按志勸成都王穎起義兵,諫穎攻長沙王乂,忠義敦篤,始終不虧,非勸人作亂者也。今從《盧諶傳》。〉

(Yangqu County was part of Taiyuan commandary, north of Jinyang.

Lu Shen's given name 諶 is pronounced "shen (sh-en)".

Sima Guang's commentary in the Textual Analysis states, "The Biography of Liu Cong in the Chronicles of the Book of Jin states, 'Lu Zhi urged the Crown Younger Brother, Liu Yi, to rise in rebellion. For this, he was executed.' Now Lu Zhi had earlier urged the Prince of Chengdu, Sima Ying, to rise up on behalf of Sima Jiong's righteous cause, and he had rebuked Sima Ying for attacking the Prince of Changsha, Sima Ai. He was a loyal, righteous, honest, and sincere man, and from first to last he never wavered from such conduct. He was not the sort of person to advocate rebellion. So I follow the account of the Biography of Lu Shen in the Book of Jin.")

十二月,漢主聰立皇后張氏,以其父寔爲左光祿大夫。

34. In the twelfth month, Liu Cong honored Lady Zhang as his Empress. He appointed her father Zhang Shi as Household Counselor With Golden Tassel of the Left.

彭蕩仲之子天護帥羣胡攻賈疋,天護陽不勝而走,疋追之,夜墜澗中,天護執而殺之。漢以天護爲涼州刺史。衆推始平太守麴允領雍州刺史。閻鼎與京兆太守梁綜爭權,鼎遂殺綜。麴允與撫夷護軍索綝、馮翊太守梁肅合兵攻鼎,鼎出奔雍,爲氐竇首所殺。

35. It was earlier mentioned that Jia Ya had killed Peng Dangzhong during his campaign in Guanzhong. Peng Dangzhong's son Peng Tianhu now led several tribes to attack Jia Ya. Peng Tianhu feigned that he had been defeated and then fled. Jia Ya pursued him, but fell into a gully during the night. Peng Tianhu captured and killed him. Han appointed Peng Tianhu as Inspector of Liangzhou (or, Lianzhou).

The Administrator of Shiping, Qu Yun, was generally acclaimed as acting Inspector of Yongzhou.

Yan Ding and the Administrator of Jingzhao, Liang Zong, battled for power, and so Yan Ding killed Liang Zong. Qu Yun, the Army Protector Who Nurtures The Yi Tribes, Suo Chen, and the Administrator of Pingyi, Liang Su, joined their soldiers together to attack Yan Ding, who went out and fled to Yong, where he was killed by the Di tribesman Dou Shou.

〈疋殺彭蕩仲事見上卷五年。《考異》曰:《帝紀》曰:「疋討賊張連,遇害。」《疋傳》:「天護攻之,疋敗走,墜澗死。」今從《十六國春秋》。〉〈【嚴:「涼」改「梁」。】〉〈胡、羯方強,賈、閻、麴、索降心相從,協力以輔晉室,猶懼不能全,況自相屠乎!長安之敗徵,見於此矣。〉

(Jia Yi's defeat of Peng Dangzhong is mentioned in Book 87, in the fifth year of Yongjia (311.37).

Sima Guang's commentary in the Textual Analysis states, "The Annals of Emperor Huai in the Book of Jin states, 'Jia Ya campaigned against the bandit Zhang Lian, where he came to harm.' The Biography of Jia Ya in the Book of Jin states, 'Peng Tianhu attacked Jia Ya. Jia Ya was defeated and fled, but he fell into a gully and died.' But I follow the account of the Annals of the Sixteen Kingdoms."

Some versions state that Han appointed Peng Tianhu as Inspector of "Lianzhou" rather than Liangzhou.

The Xiongnu and the Jie were both powerful, and so Jia Ya, Yan Ding, Qu Yun, and Suo Chen surrendered their heart's desires to a common cause, binding their strength together to restore the Jin royal family. Yet they still feared they would not be able to secure themselves, and so butchered one another! We can see here the ultimate defeat of the court at Chang'an.)

廣平游綸、張豺擁衆數萬,據苑鄕,受王浚假署;石勒遣夔安、支雄等七將攻之,破其外壘。浚遣督護王昌帥諸軍及遼西公段疾陸眷、疾陸眷弟匹磾、文鴦、從弟末柸部衆五萬攻勒於襄國。

36. You Lun and Zhang Chai of Guangping gathered together a host of several tens of thousands and occupied the city of Yuanxiang, where they accepted office under Wang Jun's authority. Shi Le sent Kui An, Zhi Xiong, and others, seven generals in all, to attack them. He broke through their outer ramparts.

Wang Jun sent his Protector Wang Chang to lead several armies against Shi Le, along with the Duke of Liaoxi, Duan Jilujuan, Duan Jilujuan's younger brothers Duan Pidi and Duan Wenyang, and his cousin Duan Mopei. They led a host of fifty thousand to attack Shi Le at Xiangguo.

〈《姓譜》:游,廣平望姓;鄭公子偃,字子游,其後以爲氏。魏收《志》,廣平郡任縣有苑鄕城。宋白曰:任縣,後漢南䜌縣地,後趙石氏於此置苑鄕縣,唐爲任縣,屬邢州。〉〈假署者,承制權宜而補署,假以職名。〉〈《考異》曰:《石勒載記》及《後魏書》作「就陸眷」。今從《王浚傳》。〉〈《考異》曰:《後魏書》作「末破」。今從《王浚傳》。〉

(The Registry of Surnames states, "The surname 游 You comes from Guangping. The son of the Duke of Zheng, Yan, had the style name Ziyou, and so his descendants took this You as their clan name."

According to Wei Shou's Geographical Records, There was a city of Yuanxiang in Ren County in Guangping commandary. Song Bai remarked, "Ren County was within the territory of Later Han's Nanluan County. The Shi clan of Later Zhao established Yuanxiang County there. During Tang, it was Ren County, as part of Xingzhou."

This passage describes You Lun and Zhang Chai as 假署. One who is 假署 is acting on their own while accepting the offices of another for a time.

Sima Guang's commentary in the Textual Analysis states, "Regarding Duan 疾
Jilujuan, the Biography of Shi Le in the Chronicles of the Book of Jin and the Book of Northern Wei both record his name as Duan 就 Jiulijuan. But I follow the account of the Biography of Wang Jun in the Book of Jin."

His commentary further states, "Regarding Duan 柸 Mopei, the Book of Northern Wei records his name as Duan 破 Mopo. But again, I follow the account of the Biography of Wang Jun in the Book of Jin.")

疾陸眷屯于渚陽,勒遣諸將出戰,皆爲疾陸眷所敗。疾陸眷大造攻具,將攻城,勒衆甚懼。勒召將佐謀之曰:「今城塹未固,糧儲不多,彼衆我寡,外無救援,吾欲悉衆與之決戰,可如?」諸將皆曰:「不如堅守以疲敵,待其退而擊之。」張賓、孔萇曰:「鮮卑之種,段氏最爲勇悍,而末柸尤甚,其銳卒皆在末柸所。今聞疾陸眷刻日攻北城,其大衆遠來,戰鬬連日,謂我孤弱,不敢出戰,意必懈惰,宜且勿出,示之以怯,鑿北城爲突門二十餘道,俟其來至,列守未定,出其不意,直衝末柸帳,彼必震駭,不暇爲計,破之必矣。末柸敗,則其餘不攻而潰矣。」勒從之,密爲突門。旣而疾陸眷攻北城,勒登城望之,見其將士或釋仗而寢,乃命孔萇督銳卒自突門出擊之,城上鼓譟以助其勢。萇攻末柸帳,不能克而退。末柸逐之,入其壘門,爲勒衆所獲,疾陸眷等軍皆退走。萇乘勝追擊,枕尸三十餘里,獲鎧馬五千匹。疾陸眷收其餘衆,還屯渚陽。

37. Duan Jilujuan camped at Zhuyang. Shi Le sent out several generals to fight him, but they were all defeated by Duan Jilujuan. Duan Jilujuan then constructed great siege weapons, preparing to attack the walls of Xiangguo. Shi Le's army was greatly afraid.

Shi Le assembled his generals and advisors and told them, "Our defenses here are not yet complete, and we do not have enough grain or supplies. The enemy is numerous while we are few, and there is no help coming from outside. I want to risk everything on a decisive battle. What do you think?"

His generals all told him, "It would be better to hold fast to our defenses and wear out the enemy. Wait for them to retreat, then we may attack them."

But Zhang Bin and Kong Chang said, "Among the Xianbei, the Duan clan is the most heroic and bold, and none moreso than Duan Mopei. The enemy's keen spirit all stems from Duan Mopei. We have heard that Duan Jilujuan has set a day for an assault on the northern wall. His army has come from a long ways away, and after fighting for several days, they say that our army is isolated and weak and does not dare to march out to fight them. So they shall certainly be complacent. We should halt our sorties against them, to make a show of being cowardly. Meanwhile, we should carve out more than twenty postern gates into the northern wall. We can wait for them to come close, and before their formation is in order, we can suddenly march out through the postern gates when they do not suspect it. Then we make straight for Duan Mopei's canopy. The enemy will be so shocked and unaware that no plan will avail them, and we can certainly rout them. Once Duan Mopei is defeated, then the remaining enemies will not fight, and they will scatter."

Shi Le followed their advice, and he secretly carved out the postern gates. When Duan Jilujuan organized his planned assault on the northern wall, Shi Le stood atop the wall to observe the enemy army. He saw that some of the enemy officers and soldiers had put down their weapons and laid down to rest, and so he ordered Kong Chang to lead elite troops to burst out of the postern gates and launch their attack, while his men atop the wall beat the drums to raise their spirits. Kong Chang attacked Duan Mopei's canopy, but he could not overcome Duan Mopei and so retreated. Duan Mopei then pursued him, but when he entered into the rampart gate, he was captured by Shi Le's army.

Duan Jilujuan and the others then retreated. Kong Chang pressed the victory and pursued them to attack, leaving piles of bodies for more than thirty li and capturing five thousand armored horses. Duan Jilujuan gathered up his remaining forces and returned to his camp at Zhuyang.

〈班固《地理志》,《禹貢》絳水在信都入海。《水經註》:絳瀆北逕信都城東,散入澤渚,西至信都城東,連于廣川縣張甲故瀆,同歸于海。疾陸眷蓋屯是渚之陽也。〉〈《墨子‧備突篇》曰:城,百步一突門。突門,用車兩輪,以木束之,塗其上,維置突門內。度門廣狹之,令人入門四尺中,置窐突。門旁爲橐,充竈狀;又置艾。寇卽入,下輪而塞之,鼓橐薰之也。杜佑曰:突門,鑿城內爲闇門,多少臨事,令五六寸勿穿。或於中夜,於敵初來,營列未定,精騎從突門躍出,擊其無備,襲其不意。〉〈見其釋仗而寢,知其懈也,乃命萇出戰,所謂見兵勢者也。〉

(According to Ban Gu's Geographical Records and to the Tributes of Yu in the Book of Documents, the Jiang River enters the sea at Xindu. The Commentary on the Water Classic states, "The Jiang Drain passes north, east of the city of Xindu. It scatters into the marches and islets, west until it reaches the east of Xindu. Then it continues on into the ditch in Guangchuan County named for Zhang Jia, where it all enters into the sea." So when Duan Jilujuan camped at "Zhuyang", he camped north of these islets.

The Chapter on Preparing Postern Gates in the Mozi states, "In the walls, a postern gate is every hundred paces. Use two carriages as measurements for their length. Fashion them from wood and cover them with mud, then tie up the postern gates from within. To control the width of the gates, order men to place projections within the gate four paces from where a person enters them. The sides of the gate function like a bag, which can ensnare an ambush; they are also a stopping point. When the enemies enter, their wheels will be halted beneath them, and then you can beat the bag over them." Du You remarked, "Postern gates are carved into the walls as hidden gates. They allow one to be close to the action, not permitting more than five or six 寸. Sometimes during the night, when an enemy has only just arrived and their camp is not yet in order, you may sent elite cavalry to make a sudden charge through these postern gates and attack them before they are prepared and strike them when they do not expect it."

Shi Le could see that the enemies had put down their weapons and laid down, so he knew that they were complacent. Then he ordered Kong Chang to march out and attack them, so these were the soldiers whose spirits he was raising.)

勒質末柸,遣使求和於疾陸眷,疾陵眷許之。文鴦諫曰:「今以末柸一人之故而縱垂亡之虜,得無爲王彭祖所怨,招後患乎!」疾陸眷不從,復以鎧馬金銀賂勒,且以末柸三弟爲質而請末柸。諸將皆勸勒殺末柸,勒曰:「遼西鮮卑健國也,與我素無仇讎,爲王浚所使耳。今殺一人而結一國之怨,非計也。歸之,必深德我,不復爲浚用矣。」乃厚以金帛報之,遣石虎與疾陸眷盟于渚陽,結爲兄弟。疾陸眷引歸,王昌不能獨留,亦引兵還薊。勒召末柸,與之燕飲,誓爲父子,遣還遼西。末柸在塗,日南嚮而拜者三。由是段氏專心附勒,王浚之勢遂衰。

38. Now that he had Duan Mopei as a hostage, Shi Le sent a messenger to ask for peace from Duan Jilujuan, and Duan Jilujuan agreed to peace. Duan Wenyang criticized him, saying, "Will you bow your head to these caitiffs because of the loss of Duan Mopei alone? If you achieve nothing, you will incur Wang Pengzu's wrath, and bring future troubles on yourself!"

But Duan Jilujuan would not agree. He also sent armored horses and gold and silver to Shi Le as bribes, and he also sent him Duan Mopei's three younger brothers as hostages, asking Shi Le to return Duan Mopei in exchange.

Shi Le's generals all urged him to kill Duan Mopei, but Shi Le told them, "The Xianbei of Liaoxi have established their own state, and I have no grudge against them. They are just Wang Jun's pawns. To kill one man and so gain the enmity of a whole state is no good plan. By returning Duan Mopei, the Duan clan will certainly hold me in great esteem, and they will not let themselves be used by Wang Jun any longer."

So he sent back golds and silks as a response to the proposal, and he also sent Shi Hu to swear an alliance with Duan Jilujuan at Zhuyang, where they formed a bond as close as brothers. Then Duan Jilujuan led his forces away, and since Wang Chang could not stand against Shi Le along, he was also obliged to return to Wang Jun's base at Ji.

Shi Le then summoned Duan Mopei and treated him to feasts and drinks, swearing an oath as father and son, before sending him back to Liaoxi. Duan Mopei lay in the mud, faced south from the sun, and performed obeisance three times. From then on, the Duan clan's hearts were inclined towards Shi Le, and so Wang Jun's power began to decline.

〈孫武所謂「親而離之」,此其近之矣。然段氏專心附勒者,末柸也,若匹磾、文鴦,則終身與勒抗。〉

(In the Art of War, Sun Wu proposes, "Alienate those who are close to each other." This was an instance of those "close to each other". However, when this passage says that "the Duan clan" was inclined towards Shi Le, it means Duan Mopei in particular. If it had been Duan Pidi or Duan Wenyang, they would have been against Shi Le to the end.)

游綸、張豺請降於勒。勒攻信都,殺冀州刺史王象。浚復以邵舉行冀州刺史,保信都。

39. You Lun and Zhang Chai asked to surrender to Shi Le.

Shi Le attacked Xindu, and killed Jin's Inspector of Jizhou, Wang Xiang. Wang Jun reappointed Shao Ju as acting Inspector of Jizhou, and had him guard Xindu.

是歲,大疫。

40. During this year, there was great pestilence.

王澄少與兄衍名冠海內,劉琨謂澄曰:「卿形雖散朗,而內實動俠,以此處世,難得其死。」及在荊州,悅成都內史王機,謂爲己亞,使之內綜心膂,外爲爪牙。澄屢爲杜弢所敗,望實俱損,猶傲然自得,無憂懼之意,但與機日夜縱酒博弈,由是上下離心;南平太守應詹屢諫,不聽。

41. Wang Cheng was the younger brother of the great Jin minister Wang Yan. When the two of them had been young, their reputation was known throughout the Four Seas. Liu Kun had said to Wang Cheng, "Although you play the part of an aloof gentleman, I know that really you are a gallant man and easily moved. One who conducts himself like that will find it hard to die."

It was earlier mentioned that Wang Cheng had been sent to Jingzhou. When Wang Cheng arrived at Jingzhou, he was pleased with the Interior Minister of Chengdu, Wang Ji, saying that Wang Ji was second only to himself, so that inwardly they were bound as close as heart and spine and outwardly they were like fangs and claws.

Wang Cheng had often been defeated by the rebel leader Du Tao, and although inwardly he began to lose hope, outwardly he still remained as proud as before. He showed no signs of fear or anxiety, and merely spent day and night drinking and playing chess with Wang Ji. Wang Cheng's subordinates were thus alienated from him. The Administrator of Nanping, Ying Zhan, remonstrated with him several times, but Wang Cheng would not listen.

〈言其心輕易動,又豪俠自喜也。〉〈綜,機縷也,所以持經而施緯,使不失其條理者也,故謂能統理衆事者爲綜理。〉

(Liu Kun was saying that Wang Cheng's heart was easily moved, and he took pleasure in acting gallantly.

The term 綜 means to bind together, as when one holds the warp and brings together the weft. So in this case, it means someone with whom one can lead and conduct affairs.)

澄自出軍擊杜弢,軍于作塘。故山簡參軍王沖擁衆迎應詹爲刺史,詹以沖無賴,棄之,還南平,沖乃自稱刺史。澄懼,使其將杜蕤守江陵,徙治孱陵,尋又奔沓中。別駕郭舒諫曰:「使君臨州,雖無異政,然一州人心所繫,今西收華容之兵,足以擒此小醜,柰何自棄,遽爲奔亡乎!」澄不從,欲將舒東下。舒曰:「舒爲萬里紀綱,不能匡正,令使君奔亡,誠不忍渡江。」乃留屯沌口。琅邪王睿聞之,召澄爲軍諮祭酒,以軍諮祭酒周顗代之,澄乃赴召。

42. Wang Cheng himself led an army out to attack Du Tao, and his army went to Zuotang.

Shan Jian's former Army Advisor, Wang Chong, gathered up a host of men to receive Ying Zhan as the new Inspector of Jingzhou. But since Wang Chong had no authority to do this, Ying Zhan abandoned him and fled to Nanping. So Wang Chong simply proclaimed himself as the new Inspector instead.

Wang Cheng was afraid, and he sent his general Du Rui to guard Jiangling, while he moved his own base to Canling, and soon further fled to Tazhong. Wang Cheng's Attendant Officer With Separate Carriage, Guo Shu, remonstrated with him, saying, "Commissioner, so long as you remain close to your province, even if you change nothing about your administration, the people of the province will still bind their hearts to you. If you gather up the soldiers of Huarong to the west, that will be quite sufficient to deal with this wretch. Why then have you abandoned the province and been so hasty to run away?"

Wang Cheng would not listen to him, and he only wanted to have Guo Shu return east. Guo Shu said, "Commissioner, I would just be enforcing policies from ten thousand li away, and I could not rectify or correct anything, since you have run away and truly cannot bear to cross the Yangzi."

So Guo Shu remained camped at Dunkou.

When Sima Rui heard what had happened, he summoned Wang Cheng to Jianye to serve as an Army Libationer-Consultant, while he appointed another Army Libationer-Consultant, Zhou Yi, to replace Wang Cheng as Inspector of Jingzhou. Wang Cheng answered the summons.

〈作唐縣,後漢屬武陵郡,晉屬南平郡。《五代志》:澧陽郡孱陵縣,舊曰作塘。〉〈南平郡,治江安。〉〈孱陵縣,漢屬武陵郡,晉屬南平郡。應劭曰:孱,音踐。師古音士連翻。劉昫曰:澧州安鄕縣,漢孱陵地。〉〈此沓中,非姜維種麥之沓中,蓋在孱陵之東。〉〈華容縣,屬南郡。〉〈舒爲州別駕,故自謂萬里紀綱。〉〈《水經註》:沌水南通沔陽縣之太白湖,湖水東南通江,謂之沌口。沌,持兗翻。〉

(During Later Han, Zuotang County was part of Wuling commandary. During Jin, it was part of Nanping commandary. The Records of the Five Dynasties states, "Canling County in Liyang commandary was once called Zuotang County."

Nanping commandary was adminstered from Jiang'an.

During Han, Canling County was part of Wuling commandary. During Jin, it was part of Nanping commandary. Ying Shao remarked, "The first character of Canling, 孱, is pronounced 'jian'." Yan Shigu says that 孱 is pronounced "sh-ian". Liu Xu remarked, "Anxiang County in Lizhou was Han's Canling County."

The Tazhong mentioned here was not the same Tazhong where Jiang Wei once grew grain, though they have the exact same name. This Tazhong was east of Canling.

Huarong County was part of Nan commandary.

Guo Shu was Jingzhou's Attendant Officer With Separate Carriage, so he says that he would be "enforcing policies from ten thousand li away".

The Commentary on the Water Classic states, "The Dun River flows south, passing into Lake Taibai in Mianyang County. From that lake, it flows southeast into the Yangzi; this place is called Dunkou ('mouth of the Dun'). 沌 is pronounced 'chan (ch-an)'.")

顗始至州,建平流民傅密等叛迎杜弢,弢別將王眞襲沔陽,顗狼狽失據。征討都督王敦遣武昌太守陶侃、尋陽太守周訪、歷陽內史甘卓共擊弢,敦進屯豫章,爲諸軍繼援。

43. Zhou Yi had only just arrived in Jingzhou when a refugee from Jianping, Fu Mi, and others rose in rebellion to welcome Du Tao, and Du Tao's subordinate general Wang Zhen invaded Mianyang. Zhou Yi felt he was trapped between two fires and could hold nothing.

The Commander of the Expeditionary Forces, Wang Dun, sent the Administrator of Wuchang, Tao Kan, the Administrator of Shunyang, Zhou Fang, and the Interior Minister of Liyang, Gan Zhuo, to attack Du Tao together, while Wang Dun himself advanced to camp at Yuzhang in order to serve as a reserve force for these forward elements.

〈沔陽,梁武帝時方置郡。據沈約《志》,陶侃爲荊州刺史,初治沔陽;則是時已有沔陽城矣,當屬竟陵郡界。宋白曰:復州沔陽縣,漢縣也。《郡國志》曰:沔陽縣,卽楚王城。〉〈懷帝永嘉五年,睿加敦都督征討諸軍事。惠帝永興元年,分淮南之烏江、歷陽二縣,置歷陽郡。〉〈《考異》曰:《王澄傳》曰:時王敦爲江州,鎭豫章。」按:敦時爲揚州刺史,都督征討諸軍,非爲江州也。〉

(It was Emperor Wu of Southern Liang who created Mianyang as a commandary. According to Shen Yue's Records, when Tao Kan was Inspector of Jingzhou, he originally administered the province from Mianyang. So it must be that at the time of this passage, there was already at least a city of Mianyang, within the territory of Jingling commandary. Song Bai remarked, "Mianyang County in Fuzhou was a county established by Han." The Records of Commandaries and Fiefs states, "Mianyang County was the city of the King of Chu."

In Emperor Huai's fifth year of Yongjia (311), Sima Rui had further promoted Wang Dun as Commander of Expeditionary Forces.

In Emperor Hui's first year of Yongxing (304), he split off the two counties of Wujiang and Liyang from Huainan commandary and formed Liyang commandary from them.

Sima Guang's commentary in the Textual Analysis states, "The Biography of Wang Cheng in the Book of Jin states, 'At this time, Wang Dun was in Jiangzhou, stationed at Yuzhang.' But Wang Dun was currently Inspector of Yangzhou, and serving as Commander over the various expeditionary armies. He could not have been in Jiangzhou.")

王澄過詣敦,自以名聲素出敦右,猶以舊意侮敦。敦怒,誣其與杜弢通信,遣壯士搤殺之。王機聞澄死,懼禍,以其父毅、兄矩皆嘗爲廣州刺史,就敦求廣州,敦不許。會廣州將溫卲等叛刺史郭訥,迎機爲刺史,機遂將奴客門生千餘人入廣州。訥遣兵拒之,將士皆機父兄時部曲,不戰迎降;訥乃避位,以州授之。

44. As Wang Cheng was passing by on his way to Jianye, he stopped to visit Wang Dun. Although over time Wang Cheng's reputation had been eclipsed by Wang Dun's, Wang Cheng still treated Wang Dun the same as before and so slighted him. Wang Dun was furious, and he slandered Wang Cheng by saying he was in secret correspondence with Du Tao, then ordered his strong men to beat Wang Cheng to death.

When Wang Ji heard that Wang Cheng was dead, he feared disaster for himself as well. Now Wang Ji's father Wang Yi and his elder brother Wang Ju had both once been Inspector of Guangzhou, so Wang Ji asked that Wang Dun grant him this post as well, but Wang Dun refused.

Soon, a general of Guangzhou, Wen Shao, and others rebelled against the current Inspector, Guo Ne, and clamored for Wang Ji to come serve as their Inspector. So Wang Ji led his slaves, guests, students, and others, more than a thousand people in all, to Guangzhou. Guo Ne sent soldiers to oppose their entrance, but the generals and officers in this army had all served during the time that Wang Ji's father and elder brother had been Inspector, and rather than fight Wang Ji they surrendered to him. Guo Ne then fled his post, and the province welcomed Wang Ji.

〈《考異》曰:王澄死,周顗敗,王敦鎭豫章,機入廣州,《紀》、《傳》皆無年月。按《衞玠傳》,玠依敦於豫章,以永嘉六年卒,故附於此。〉〈王機父毅爲廣州刺史,甚得南越之情。〉

(Sima Guang's commentary in the Textual Analysis states, "Regarding the dates of Wang Cheng's death, Zhou Yi's defeat, Wang Dun's shifting of his camp to Yuzhang, and Wang Ji's entrance into Guangzhou, neither the Annals nor the Biographies of those concerned in the Book of Jin list either the years or the months. But according to the Biography of Wei Jie in the Book of Jin, Wei Jie served under Wang Dun at Yuzhang, and he passed away in the sixth year of Yongjia (312). So I have appended all of these events onto the end of this year."

When Wang Ji's father Wang Yi had been Inspector of Guangzhou, he had deeply won the regard of the people of Nanyue.)

王如軍中飢乏,官軍討之,其黨多降;如計窮,遂降於王敦。

45. Wang Ru's army was growing smaller and weak from hunger, and when the government armies attacked him, most of his partisans surrendered. Wang Ru felt that he was too weak to continue, so he surrendered to Wang Dun.

〈《考異》曰:如降亦無年月,明年有如餘黨入漢中,故附此。〉

(Sima Guang's commentary in the Textual Analysis states, "There is no record of what year or month that Wang Ru surrendered. But the following year (that is, 313), many of his former partisans entered Hanzhong. So I have also appended this event to the end of this year.")

鎭東軍司顧榮、前太子洗馬衞玠皆卒。玠,瓘之孫也,美風神,善清談;常以爲人有不及,可以情恕,非意相干,可以理遣,故終身不見喜慍之色。

46. The Army Director to the General Who Guards The East, Gu Rong, and the former Horse Washer of the Crown Prince, Wei Jie, both passed away.

This Wei Jie was the grandson of Wei Guan. He was devilishly handsome and charming, and practiced in Pure Conversation. Whenever there were people who were inferior to him, he could be accomodating with them, and whenever there were people who disagreed with them, he could reason with them. For that reason, to the end of his life, he never displayed either a joyous or an angry expression.

江陽太守張啓殺益州刺史王異而代之。〈異行三府事見上卷五年。〉啓,翼之孫也,尋病卒。三府文武共表涪陵太守向沈行西夷校尉,南保涪陵。

47. Jin's Administrator of Jiangyang, Zhang Qi, killed the (acting) Inspector of Yizhou, Wang Yi, and took over from him. This Zhang Qi was the grandson of Zhang Yi. But Zhang Qi soon fell ill and passed away.

The civil and military officials of the Three Offices in Yizhou jointly petitioned that the Administrator of Fuling, Xiang Chen, be appointed as acting Colonel of Western Yi Tribes, and that their base be shifted south to guard Fuling.

〈江陽縣,漢屬犍爲郡,劉蜀分置江陽郡,隋併入陵州隆山縣,唐爲眉州彭山縣。〉〈【章:甲十一行本「殺」下有「行」字;乙十一行本同;孔本同;張校同。】〉

(During Han, Jiangyang County was part of Jianwei commandary. Shu-Han split it off as Jiangyang commandary. Sui folded it back into Longshan County in Lingzhou, and during Tang it was Pengshan County in Meizhou.

Some versions state that Wang Yi was the "acting" Inspector of Yizhou.)

南安赤亭羌姚弋仲東徙榆眉,戎、夏襁負隨之者數萬,自稱護羌校尉、雍州刺史、扶風公。

48. A leader of the Chiting Qiang of Nan'an commandary, Yao Yizhong, moved his base east to Yumei. Tens of thousands of tribesmen and ethnic Han carried their children on their backs and came to join Yao Yizhong. He proclaimed himself as Colonel Who Protects The Qiang, Inspector of Yongzhou, and Duke of Fufeng.

〈《水經註》:漢靈帝分獂道爲南安郡。赤亭水出郡之東山赤谷,西流逕城北,南入渭水,謂之赤亭川。榆眉,卽漢扶風隃麋縣,晉省。宋白曰:隴州汧源縣東有隃麋澤,有古城。吳山縣,亦漢榆麋縣地。〉

(The Commentary on the Water Classic states, "Emperor Ling of Han split off Yuandao County as Nan'an commandary. The Chiting River flows out of the Chi Valley in the eastern mountains of that commandary. It flows west, passing north of that city, and then south into the Wei River. That place is called Chitingchuan."

Yumei was Shumi County in Han's Fufeng commandary; Jin abolished it. Song Bai remarked, "In the east of Qianyuan County in Longzhou is the Shumi Marsh, where an old city was. Wushan County was also within the territory of Han's Yumi County.")
Last edited by Taishi Ci 2.0 on Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:58 am, edited 3 times in total.
Taishi Ci 2.0

BOOK 88

Unread postby Taishi Ci 2.0 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:59 am

孝愍皇帝上

Beginning of the Reign of Sima Ye, Emperor Min

〈諱鄴,字彥旗;武帝孫,吳孝王晏之子也,出繼伯父秦王柬,後襲封秦王。《諡法》:禍亂方作曰愍;在國遭憂曰愍。〉

(Sima Ye, styled Yanqi, was the grandson of Emperor Wu (Sima Yan) and the son of Prince Xiao of Wu, Sima Yann. He was sent out from his father's line to continue the line of the Prince of Qin, his uncle Sima Jian, and so Sima Ye was later granted that title of Prince of Qin. The Laws of Posthumous Surnames states, "One who encounters misfortune and turmoil may be called Min ('the Pitied'); one who experiences anxiety on behalf of the state may be called Min.")

建興元年(癸酉、三一三)

The First Year of Jianxing (The Guiyou Year, 313 AD)

〈是年夏四月,方改元建興。〉

(The reign era title changed to the first year of Jianxing in summer, the fourth month.)

春,正月,丁丑朔,漢主聰宴羣臣於光極殿,使懷帝著青衣行酒。庾珉、王雋等不勝悲憤,因號哭;聰惡之。有告珉等謀以平陽應劉琨者,二月,丁未,聰殺珉、雋等故晉臣十餘人,懷帝亦遇害。大赦,復以會稽劉夫人爲貴人。

1. In spring, the first month, on the new moon of the day Dingchou (February 12th), Liu Cong held a feast for his ministers at the Guangji Hall. He made Emperor Huai dress in green clothing and serve the wine. Yu Min, Wang Juan, and other former Jin ministers could not contain their grief and indignation at the sight of this display, and they began to weep. Liu Cong resented them.

Then someone told Liu Cong that Yu Min and the others were plotting to hand Pingyang over to Liu Kun. So in the second month on the day Dingwei (March 14th), Liu Cong killed Yu Min, Wang Juan, and other former Jin ministers, more than ten in all. Emperor Huai also came to harm.

Liu Cong declared a general amnesty, and he reclaimed the Duchess of Kuaiji, Lady Liu, as one of his Honored Women.

〈永嘉三年,珉、雋與帝俱沒于虜。〉〈年三十。〉〈永嘉六年,聰以夫人妻帝,聰封帝爲會稽公,故曰會稽劉夫人。〉

(In the third (fifth?) year of Yongjia (309; 311?), Yu Min, Wang Juan, and Emperor Huai had all been taken prisoner by Han.

Emperor Huai was twenty-nine years old when he died.

In the sixth year of Yongjia (312.9), Liu Cong had granted Lady Liu to Emperor Huai as a wife. Under Han, Emperor Huai's title was Duke of Kuaiji, and so this Lady Liu is here called the Duchess of Kuaiji.)

荀崧曰:懷帝天姿清劭,少著英猷,若遇承平,足爲守文佳主。而繼惠帝擾亂之後,東海專政,故無幽、厲之釁而有流亡之禍矣!

2. Regarding Emperor Huai's life, Xun Song remarked: Emperor Huai had a natural bearing that was clear and exceptional, and even though he was young, he had a hero's cunning. If he had come to power in an age of peace, he would have been able to maintain culture as an excellent lord. But he rose to the throne after the chaos of Emperor Hui's reign, and was faced with the dominance of the Prince of Donghai (Sima Yue). This was why, even though he did not even have the infamies of Kings You and Li of Zhou to reproach him, he still suffered from disaster and was sent into ruin!

〈劭,高也。〉

(劭 here means "high, exceptional".)

乙亥,漢太后張氏卒,諡曰光獻。張后不勝哀,丁丑,亦卒,諡曰武孝。

3. On the day Yihai (April 11th), Han's Empress Dowager Zhang passed away. She was posthumously known as Empress Guangxian ("the Presented").

Empress Zhang could not endure her grief at the loss, and on the day Dingchou (?), she also passed away. She was posthumously known as Empress Wuxiao ("the Filial").

〈張后,張太后之姪女。〉

(Empress Zhang was Empress Dowager Zhang's nephew's daughter.)

己卯,漢定襄忠穆公王彰卒。

4. On the day Jimao (?), the Han minister Wang Zhang passed away. He was posthumously known as Duke Zhongmu ("the Loyal and Solemn") of Dingxiang.

三月,漢主聰立貴嬪劉娥爲皇后,爲之起䳨儀殿。廷尉陳元達切諫,以爲「天生民而樹之君,使司牧之,非以兆民之命窮一人之欲也。晉氏失德,大漢受之,蒼生引領,庶幾息肩。是以光文皇帝身衣大布,居無重茵,后妃不衣錦綺,乘輿馬不食粟,愛民故也。陛下踐阼以來,已作殿觀四十餘所,加之軍旅數興,餽運不息,饑饉、疾疫,死亡相繼,而益思營繕,豈爲民父母之意乎!今有晉遺類,西據關中,南擅江表;李雄奄有巴、蜀;王浚、劉琨窺窬肘腋;石勒、曹嶷貢稟漸疏;陛下釋此不憂,乃更爲中宮作殿,豈目前之所急乎!昔太宗居治安之世,粟帛流衍,猶愛百金之費,息露臺之役。陛下承荒亂之餘,所有之地,不過太宗之二郡,戰守之備,非特匈奴、南越而已。而宮室之侈乃至於此,臣所以不敢不冒死而言也。」聰大怒曰:「朕爲天子,營一殿,何問汝鼠子乎,乃敢妄言沮衆!不殺此鼠子,朕殿不成!」命左右:「曳出斬之!幷其妻子同梟首東市,使羣鼠共穴!」時聰在逍遙園李中堂,元達先鎖腰而入,卽以鎖鎖堂下樹,呼曰:「臣所言者,社稷之計,而陛下殺臣。朱雲有言:『臣得與龍逢、比干遊,足矣!』」左右曳之不能動。

5. In the third month, Liu Cong selected his Honored Lady, Liu E, as his new Empress.

To honor Liu E, Liu Cong built the Huangyi Hall. The Minister of Justice, Chen Yuanda, sharply remonstrated with Liu Cong over this. Chen Yuanda said, "When Heaven establishes a superior fellow as a trunk for the branches of the common people, it is in order that such a man may guide and direct them, not so that he may toil the people to gratify the wishes of a single person. Now the royal family of Jin has surrendered their virtue, and our Great Han has taken it up. The eyes of the people are upon you, watching to find a place where they may enjoy repose.

"It was for such reasons that Emperor Guangwen (Liu Yuan) dressed himself mostly in cloth and dwelled in places without heavy mattresses. He neither adorned his Empresses and his concubines with fine brocades and silks, nor fed his carriage horses on millet. And the people loved him because of such frugality. But in the time since your accession to the throne, Your Majesty, you have already built more than forty great halls and temples, not to mention your military adventures. Supplies have been transported about so incessantly that hunger and plague have sprung up, and the dead perish one after another. Yet even now, you are still considering more such construction projects. How can this be the sort of regard that a parent shows to their people?

"Even now, there are still remnants of the Jin dynasty; they occupy Guanzhong in the west and possess the Southland beyond the Yangzi. Furthermore, Li Xiong has taken hold of Ba and Shu, Wang Jun and Liu Kun are so close at hand as to be peering over your ramparts at you, and Shi Le and Cao Yi have been sending in fewer tributes and fewer reports of their activities. Yet rather than worry about such things, Your Majesty is planning to build more halls and palaces, as though there were no emergencies right before your very eyes!

"In former times, Taizong (Emperor Wen of Han) ruled the land during an age of peace, when millets and silks were spread far and wide. Yet even he considered the expenditure of a hundred gold to be a matter for serious consideration, and he decided against building his terraces rather than spend such a sum for their construction. Now Your Majesty is ruling during an age of turmoil and want, and all your territory amounts to no more than a mere two commandaries of Taizong's former domain. Furthermore, Taizong needed only to make military defenses to guard against the Xiongnu and the Shanyue, much unlike your own military needs.

"For Your Majesty's construction projects of palaces and other such things to have gone on to such an extent, how can I dare not to speak up against it, even at the cost of my own life?"

Liu Cong was furious at such a rebuke, and he cried, "I am the Son of Heaven! If I want to build a hall, who are you to question me, you rat! You even dare to pile on with your ranting! Unless I kill a rat like you, my hall will not be completed!" And he ordered his attendants, "Drag him out and behead him! Hang his head at the east market, along with the heads of his wife and sons! That will send the rats scurrying back into their holes!"

Before this time, Liu Cong had built the Lizhong Court in the Xiaoyao Garden, and Chen Yuanda had a lock placed around his waist and was brought into the Lizhong Court. As he was being led in chains under the trees of the garden, Chen Yuanda exclaimed, "The words that I said were for the benefit of the altars of state, yet His Majesty is now going to kill me. But it is as Zhu Yun once said: 'So long as I may wander with Longfeng and Bi Gan, it is enough!'" The attendants who were dragging him could not move him.

〈雄曰鳳,雌曰䳨,《書》曰:鳳凰來儀。〉〈劉淵,諡光文。〉〈貢,謂貢獻;稟,謂稟承詔命。〉〈事見十五卷漢文帝後七年。〉〈時聰所有之地,漢河東、西河二郡耳。〉〈漢文帝時,惟備匈奴、南越。〉〈朱雲事見三十二卷漢成帝元延元年。逢,蒲江翻。〉

(Regarding the name of the 䳨儀 Huangyi Hall, the male version of a phoenix is called the Feng, and the female version the 䳨 Huang. The Book of Documents states, "The male and female phœnix come with their 儀 measured frolicking (into the court). (Yi & Ji 5)"

Liu Yuan's posthumous name was Emperor Guangwen.

Regarding Shi Le and Cao Yi, when Chen Yuanda speaks of their "tributes", he means their tributes and offerings as subordinates; when he speaks of their "reports", he means their actions in fulfillment of imperial orders.

Emperor Wen of Han's halting of his terrace construction project for the sake of not taxing the people for the needed one hundred gold is mentioned in Book 15, in the seventh year of the latter half of Emperor Wen's reign (157 BC).

At the time of this passage, Liu Cong's territory only encompassed the two Han commandaries of Hedong and Xihe.

During Emperor Wen of Han's era, he only needed military defenses against the Xiongnu and the Shanyue.

The Han minister Zhu Yun made this statement in Book 32, in Emperor Cheng of Han's first year of Yuanyan (12 BC).

The second character of Longfeng's name, 逢, is pronounced "piang (p-iang)".)

大司徒任顗、光祿大夫朱紀、范隆、驃騎大將軍河間王易等叩頭出血曰:「元達爲先帝所知,受命之初,卽引置門下,盡忠竭慮,知無不言。臣等竊祿偷安,每見之未嘗不發愧。今所言雖狂直,願陛下容之。因諫諍而斬列卿,其如後世何!」聰默然。

6. The Grand Minister Over The Masses, Ren Yi, the Household Counselors With Golden Tassel, Zhu Ji and Fan Long, the Grand General of Agile Cavalry and Prince of Hejian, Liu Yii, and others all kowtowed before Liu Cong until blood flowed from their heads, begging him, "Chen Yuanda was long known by His Late Majesty, and from the very moment he first received his orders from your father, he came and conducted himself as a devoted follower of the state, exhausting his full loyalty in consideration for the affairs of the dynasty. He held back nothing which he did not know to be true. We foolish ministers were the ones who did no more than collect our salaries without saying anything about such matters, and not a one of us can see what is happening now without feeling ashamed. Although Chen Yuanda's words may have been blunt, even presumptuous, we pray that Your Majesty will put up with them. If on account of a harsh criticism you now execute an exceptional minister, what will you be doing to future generations?"

Liu Cong could make no response.

〈見八十五卷惠帝永興元年。〉

(Chen Yuanda's appointment as a Han-Zhao minister is mentioned in Book 85, in Emperor Hui's first year of Yongxing (304.29).)

劉后聞之,密敕左右停刑,手疏上言:「今宮室已備,無煩更營,四海未壹,宜愛民力。廷尉之言,社稷之福也,陛下宜加封賞;而更誅之,四海謂陛下何如哉!夫忠臣進諫者固不顧其身也,而人主拒諫者亦不顧其身也。陛下爲妾營殿而殺諫臣,使忠良結舌者由妾,遠近怨怒者由妾,公私困弊者由妾,社稷阽危者由妾,天下之罪皆萃於妾,妾何以當之!妾觀自古敗國喪家,未始不由婦人,心常疾之,不意今日身自爲之,使後世視妾由妾之視昔人也!妾誠無面目復奉巾櫛,願賜死此堂,以塞陛下之過!」聰覽之變色。

7. When Empress Liu E heard what was going on, she secretly ordered her attendants to halt the execution, while she sent Liu Cong a petition she wrote in her own hand: "The palaces and buildings are already built to a proper state, and there is no need to further trouble the people for the sake of building more. The lands within the Four Seas are not yet united, and one should respect the people's strength.

"The Minister of Justice's words were said for the good fortune of the altars of state, and so Your Majesty ought to be rewarding him with titles and awards. But rather than do that, you are actually going so far as to execute him. What will those within the Four Seas say about Your Majesty for having done such a thing? When a loyal minister steps forth to offer remonstration, he does so even though it means disregarding his own personal interests. The ruler of men who finds himself so rebuked must also not consider his own personal interests.

"Your Majesty, if you kill a remonstrating minister just in order to build a palace hall for me, then it will be because of me that loyal and excellent men will now guard their tongues, it will be because of me that those near and far grow to hate and despise you, it will be because of me that public and private resources will suffer strain, and it will be because of me that the fortunes of state will be threatened. With the sins of all the realm falling on my head, how could I keep on living?

"From all that I have read on the downfalls of states or the destructions of families ever since ancient times, there has never once been such ruin that did not come about because of a favored woman, and this fact has often pained my heart. Do not do such a thing merely to gratify your desires in the present day, or else you will make future generations see me in the same way that we see those ancient women!

"I am so earnest in this plea that I have neither put my face in order nor prepared my hair with scarves or combs, and I am willing to end my life here in this hall if it would prevent Your Majesty from committing such a transgression!"

Liu Cong reflected upon this petition, and his expression changed.

〈如淳曰:阽近邊,知墮意。〉〈櫛,梳枇總名。〉

(When describing the danger to the fortunes of state, Liu E uses the term 阽. Ru Chun remarked, "When 阽 danger is near, one knows that ruin is imminent."

Liu E mentions a 櫛; this is the name for a kind of comb or hair binding.)

任顗等叩頭流涕不已。聰徐曰:「朕比年已來,微得風疾,喜怒過差,不復自制。元達,忠臣也;朕未之察。諸公乃能破首明之,誠得輔弼之義也。朕愧戢于心,何敢忘之!」命顗等冠履就坐,引元達上,以劉氏表示之,曰:「外輔如公,內輔如后,朕復何憂!」賜顗等穀帛各有差,更命逍遙園曰納賢園,李中堂曰愧賢堂。聰謂元達曰:「卿當畏朕,而反使朕畏卿邪!」

8. Ren Yi and the others continued to kowtow, weeping without end. At last, Liu Cong told them, "Having been Emperor for this long by now, I have let my passions get the better of me; I expressed my joy and my anger more than I should have, and I did not control myself. Chen Yuanda is a loyal minister, and I have not given him his due treatment. You gentlemen have struck your heads in order to enlighten me to this fact, and your honest appeals on behalf of assisting the state have been righteous indeed. I let my shame hide away in my heart; how now shall I ever forget it?"

And he ordered Ren Yi and the others to put their caps back on and retake their seats. Liu Cong himself led Chen Yuanda back into the court building and showed Empress Liu E's petition to him, telling him, "With assistance from without like you, and assistance from within like the Empress, what will I need to worry about any longer?"

He awarded Ren Yi and the others great amounts of grains and silks each, and he further ordered the Xiaoyao Garden to be renamed the Naxian ("Receiving the Worthies") Garden and the Lizhong Court to be renamed the Kuixian ("Shamed by the Worthies") Court.

Liu Cong said to Chen Yuanda, "You ought to be the one who fears me, and yet you made me afraid of you!"

〈戢,藏也。〉〈上,升堂也。〉

(Liu Cong uses the term 戢; it means "to hide, conceal".

The use of the term "up" in this passage means "to ascend the steps of the court building".)

西夷校尉向沈卒,衆推汶山太守蘭維爲西夷校尉。維率吏民北出,欲向巴東;成將李恭、費黑邀擊,獲之。

9. In the Shu region, Jin's Colonel of Western Yi Tribes, Xiang Chen, passed away. His subordinates acclaimed the Administrator of Wenshan, Lan Wei, as the new Colonel. Lan Wei led his officials and other subordinate people north out of the region, wanting to march towards Badong. The Cheng generals Li Gong and Fei Hei intercepted his march and attacked him, and they captured him.

〈向,姓也。汶,音㟭。《姓譜》︰鄭穆公名蘭,支庶以爲氏;漢有武陵太守蘭廣。又《匈奴傳》亦有蘭氏,非此蘭也。〉〈欲歸晉也。〉

(向 Xiang is a surname.

The first character of Wenshan, 汶, is pronounced "min".

The Registry of Surnames states, "The given name of Duke Mu of Zheng was 蘭 Lan, and his various branch descendants took that as their clan name. During Han, there was a Lan Guang who served as Administrator of Wuling." The Accounts of the Xiongnu mentions a Xiongnu clan named 蘭 Lan, but this is not the same Lan clan mentioned here.

Lan Wei wanted to return to Jin.)

夏,四月,丙午,懷帝凶問至長安,皇太子舉哀,因加元服;壬申,卽皇帝位,大赦,改元。以衞將軍梁芬爲司徒,雍州刺史麴允爲尚書左僕射、錄尚書事,京兆太守索綝爲尚書左僕射、領吏部、京兆尹。是時,長安城中,戶不盈百,蒿棘成林;公私有車四乘,百官無章服、印綬,唯桑版署號而已。尋以索綝爲衞將軍、領太尉,軍國之事,悉以委之。

10. In summer, the fourth month, on the day Bingwu (May 12th), news of Emperor Huai's demise reached Chang'an. The Crown Prince, Sima Ye, began mourning for Emperor Huai, and he put on his original clothing.

On the day Renshen (June 7th), Sima Ye assumed the imperial title himself, as Emperor Min. A general amnesty was declared, and the reign era title was changed to the first year of Jianxing.

Emperor Min appointed the Guard General, Liang Fen, as Minister Over The Masses. He appointed the Inspector of Yongzhou, Qu Yun, as Supervisor of the Left of the Masters of Writing with chief authority over the affairs of that bureau. He appointed the Administrator of Jingzhao, Suo Chen, as Supervisor of the Left of the Masters of Writing and as acting Director of the Ministry of Personnel and Intendant of Jingzhao.

At this time, there were not even a hundred households still living inside of Chang'an, and there were great thickets of sagebrush and thorns all around. Only four carts remained to handle any business, public or private. The imperial officials did not even have official robes to wear or seals to carry; they merely wrote their names on mulberry slats and called that good.

Suo Chen was soon appointed as Guard General and as acting Grand Commandant, and he handled all national military affairs.

〈鄭樵《通志略》曰:魏氏,天子冠一加。其說曰:古之士禮,冠必三加彌尊,所以喻其志。至於天子、諸侯無加數之文者,將以踐阼臨人,尊極德成,不復與士以加喻勉爲義。禮,冠於廟;自魏不復在廟矣。冠,太子再加,是時蓋仍魏禮。〉〈始改元建興。〉

(Zheng Qiao's Tongzhi encyclopedia states, "During the Wei era, the Son of Heaven was capped for his coming of age ceremony a single time. It should be mentioned that according to ancient tradition among the gentry, there were three successive capping ceremonies, to further honor the young man and display his intentions. But as for the Son of Heaven and the feudal lords, they do not have this additional ceremony; being so close to their seats of power, their honor is great and their virtue complete, and they need not further announce their intents to the gentry." According to tradition, the capping ceremony was at the ancestral temple. But from the time of Wei on, it no longer took place there. The capping ceremony, as well as the accession as the Crown Prince, followed the traditions of Wei by this time.

It was at this time that the reign era title became Jianxing.)

漢中山王曜、司隸校尉喬智明寇長安,平西將軍趙染帥衆赴之,詔麴允屯黃白城以拒之。

11. Liu Yao and Han's Colonel-Director of Retainers, Qiao Zhiming, attacked Chang'an, and their General Who Pacifies The West, Zhao Ran, led his forces to join them. Jin issued an edict ordering Qu Yun to camp at the city of Huangbai to resist this attack.

石勒使石虎攻鄴,鄴潰,劉演奔廩丘,三臺流民皆降於勒。勒以桃豹爲魏郡太守以撫之;久之,以石虎代豹鎭鄴。

12. Shi Le sent Shi Hu to attack Ye. The Jin defenders at Ye scattered, and their commander Liu Yan fled to Linqiu.

The refugees in the Three Terraces at Ye all surrendered to Shi Le. Initially, Shi Le appointed Tao Bao as Administrator of Wei commandary to comfort these people. Sometime afterwards, he had Shi Hu replace Tao Bao to guard Ye.

〈廩丘縣,前漢屬東郡,後漢屬濟陰郡,晉屬濮陽國。賢曰:廩丘故城,在今濮州雷澤縣北。〉

(During Former Han, Linqiu County was part of Dong commandary. During Later Han, it was part of Jiyin commandary. During Jin, it was part of the Puyang princely fief. Li Xian remarked, "The capital city of Linqiu was in the north of Leize County in modern Puzhou.")

初,劉琨用陳留太守焦求爲兗州刺史,荀藩又用李述爲兗州刺史;述欲攻求,琨召求還。及鄴城失守,琨復以劉演爲兗州刺史,鎭廩丘。前中書侍郎郗鑒,少以清節著名,帥高平千餘家避亂保嶧山,琅邪王睿就用鑒爲兗州刺史,鎭鄒山。三人各屯郡,兗州吏民莫知所從。

13. Before this time, Liu Kun had appointed the Administrator of Chenliu, Jiao Qiu, as Inspector of Yanzhou. But it happened that Xun Fan had appointed Li Shu as Inspector of Yanzhou as well. Li Shu wanted to attack Jiao Qiao, and so Liu Kun ordered Jiao Qiu to return to him.

Now, with Ye having been lost to Shi Le, Liu Kun appointed Liu Yan as the next Inspector of Yanzhou, and ordered him to guard Linqiu.

There lived a certain former Gentleman-Attendant of the Palace Secretariat, Chi Jian, who gained a reputation as a youth for his integrity and fortitude. This Chi Jian led more than a thousand families from Gaoping to take refuge from the turmoil, and they guarded themselves at Mount Yi. Sima Rui, making his own appointment, selected Chi Jian as the new Inspector of Yanzhou, to be stationed at Qushan.

These three men, Li Shu, Liu Yan, and Chi Jian, each camped in a different commandary, and the officials and people of Yanzhou did not know which of them they should follow.

〈《水經註》:嶧山在鄒縣北,繹邑之所依以爲名也。山東西二十里,高秀獨出,積石相臨,殆無土壤。石間多孔穴,洞達相通,往往有如數間屋處,其俗謂之「嶧孔」。遭亂,輒將家入嶧,外寇雖衆,無所施害。晉永嘉中,郗鑒保此山。今山南有大嶧,名曰鄒公嶧,《詩》所謂「保有鳧繹。」〉〈鄒山,在魯郡鄒縣。《考異》曰:《劉琨集》,建興二年十一月,壬寅朔,《與丞相牋》曰:「焦求雖出寒鄕,有文武膽幹。苟晞用爲陳留太守,獨在河南距當石勒,撫綏有方。琨以求行領兗州刺史。後聞荀公以李述爲兗州,以素論門望,不可與求同日而論;至於膽幹可以處危,權一時之用,李述亦不能及求。而王玄年少,便欲共討求。琨以求已與玄構隙,便召還。而州界民物,甚不安服述;二千石及文武大姓,連遣信使求刺史,是以遣兄子演代求領兗州事。往年春正月,遣詣鄴,至是斬王桑、走趙固」云云。「今勒據襄國,逼近鄴城,故令演轉南。演今治在廩丘,而李述、郗鑒並欲爭兗州,或云爲荀公所用,或云爲明公所用。大寇未殄而自共尋干戈,此亦大潰也。輒敕演謹自守而已。」按:王桑、趙固之敗及石勒攻鄴,皆在永嘉六年。琨《牋》又云:「傳長安消息,主上是秦王。」又建興二年十一月丙申朔,元年十一月壬申朔,十二月壬寅朔,然則琨發牋之日,建興元年十二月壬寅朔也,傳寫襄耳。〉

(The Commentary on the Water Classic states, "Mount Yi is in the north of Qu County, taking its name from the village of Yi. The mountain stretches twenty li from east to west. It is a lofty peak which stands alone, and it had boulders in plenty which are all arrayed by one another, while being almost entirely lacking in soil. Many of the great stones have holes or cavities in them, and there are many interconnected tunnels, to the extent that there are a great many dwelling places in the mountain, and so it is commonly called 'the Yi Caves'. When danger threatens, all of the local families retreat to this Mount Yi. No matter how vast the host of invaders who approach it, they cannot do any harm to the people there. During the Yongjia era of the Jin dynasty, Chi Jian led the defenses of families on this mountain. There is now a great marsh south of the mountain, called the Qugong Marsh. Thus is there the verse in the Book of Poetry, "He shall maintain the possession of Hu and Yi. (Bi Gong 7)"

Qushan is in Qu County in Lu commandary.

Sima Guang's commentary in the Textual Analysis states, "According to the Collected Writings of Liu Kun, on the eleventh month of the second year of Jianxing (314), on the new moon of the day Renyin (December 29th), Liu Kun wrote his Response to the Prime Minister (Sima Rui) which states, 'Although Qiao Jiu comes from a poor background, he has courage and skill in both civil and military affairs. Gou Xi had appointed him as Administrator of Chenliu, but he was still in Henan fighting against Shi Le, and he knew the methods to keep that region calm and secure. It was for such reasons that I appointed him as acting Inspector of Yanzhou. When I later heard that Lord Xun Fan had appointed Li Shu to Yanzhou, he spoke much of Li Shu's family's prestige, and he would not hear of Qiao Jiu sharing command with him on the same day. When I proposed that, on account of Qiao Jiu's courage and skill and his ability to confront the dangers, he might be employed in that capacity just for the time being, Li Shu still could not abide being together with him. And even though Wang Xuan is a young man, he went so far as to want to attack Qiao Jiu together with Li Shu. Considering the enmity that already existed between Qiao Jiu and Wang Xuan, I ordered Qiao Jiu to return. But now, the people of the province will not submit or obey Li Shu. The officials of Two Thousand 石 salary rank and the chief civil and military luminaries keep sending me letters asking me to send them Qiao Jiu as their Inspector. I sent my nephew Liu Yan to take over the affairs of Yanzhou in Qiao Jiu's stead. In the first month of last year, I sent him to visit Ye. When he arrived, he beheaded Wang Sang and drove off Zhao Gu...'

"Here I cut out some other material of this sort before continuing with the letter.

"'Now Shi Le is occupying Xiangguo and is posing a threat to Ye, and so I have ordered Liu Yan to go south. Liu Yan is currently administering his domain from Linqiu. However, Li Shu and Chi Qian both want to contend with him for control of Yanzhou, with some people saying they have been appointed by Lord Xun Fan and some saying they have been appointed by yourself, Your Highness. For our people to be at each other's throats when the great invaders have not even been destroyed is the way to destruction, so I have ordered Liu Yan to merely defend his own territory and do no more.'

“Now, Wang Sang and Zhao Gu's defeat and Shi Le's initial attack on Ye both took place in the sixth year of Yongjia (312). Furthermore, Liu Kun's Response includes the sentence, 'News has arrived from Chang'an indicating the Prince of Qin (Sima Ye) is our sovereign.' And as for dates, the first day of the eleventh month of the second year of Jianxing (314) was a Bingshen day, the first day of the eleventh month of the first year of Jianxing (313) was a Renshen day, and the first day of the twelfth month of that year was a Renyin day. So it must be that this letter from Liu Kun was written on the Renyin day that was the first day of the twelfth month of the first year of Jianxing (313), and the date was only marked down as a reminder.")

琅邪王睿以前廬江內史華譚爲軍諮祭酒。譚嘗在壽春依周馥。睿謂譚曰:「周祖宣何故反?」譚曰:「周馥雖死,天下尚有直言之士。馥見寇賊滋蔓,欲移都以紓國難,執政不悅,興兵討之,馥死未踰時而洛都淪沒。若謂之反,不亦誣乎!」睿曰:「馥位爲征、鎭,握強兵,召之不入,危而不持,亦天下之罪人也。」譚曰:「然。危而不持,當與天下共受其責,非但馥也。」

14. Sima Rui appointed the former Interior Minister of Lujian, Hua Tan, as an Army Libationer-Consultant.

It was earlier mentioned that Zhou Fu had refused a summons from Luoyang, and Sima Rui had dispatched an army to defeat his forces. This Hua Tan had himself once served under Zhou Fu at Shouchun. So Sima Rui asked Hua Tan, "Why did Zhou Zuxuan rebel?"

Hua Tan replied, "Even after Zhou Fu is already dead, the whole realm still has such harsh words to say about him. Zhou Fu could see that the invaders and the bandits were growing more powerful, and so he wanted to move the capital to remove the danger posed to the state. Those who held power over the government were not pleased with him, and that was why they raised soldiers to campaign against him. Yet it was hardly any time at all after Zhou Fu's death that Luoyang was indeed lost. Is it not slander to call such actions rebellion?"

Sima Rui said, "Zhou Fu held a border post as a General Who Conquers or Who Guards, and he commanded strong soldiers. Yet when he was summoned he would not go, and when danger threatened he did not help against it. It was for those reasons that the realm considers him guilty."

Hua Tan replied, "It was indeed as you say. But to not lend aid when danger threatened is a thing that all the realm was guilty of; Zhou Fu was not the only one who failed to do so."

〈周馥,字祖宣。〉〈事見上卷永嘉四年、五年。〉

(Zhou Fu's style name was Zuxuan.

The particulars of Zhou Fu's rebellion are mentioned in Book 87, in the fourth and fifth years of Yongjia (310.28, 311.6).)

睿參佐多避事自逸,錄事參軍陳頵言於睿曰:「洛中承平之時,朝士以小心恭恪爲凡俗,以偃蹇倨肆爲優雅,流風相染,以至敗國。今僚屬皆承西臺餘弊,養望自高,是前車已覆而後車又將尋之也。請自今,臨使稱疾者,皆免官。」睿不從。三王之誅趙王倫也,制《己亥格》以賞功,自是循而用之。頵上言:「昔趙王篡逆,惠皇失位,三王起兵討之,故厚賞以懷嚮義之心。今功無大小,皆以《格》斷,乃至金紫佩士卒之身,符策委僕隸之門,非所以重名器,正紀綱也,請一切停之!」頵出於寒微,數爲正論,府中多惡之,出頵爲譙郡太守。

15. Many of Sima Rui's advisors and ministers were inclined to not attend to their duties, preferring to act above it all. So the Copyist Army Advisor, Chen Yun, said to Sima Rui, "When times were still peaceful in the capital at Luoyang, the court ministers considered the virtues of caution, respect, and circumspection to be mean and vulgar values, and they instead exulted in acting haughty, unconcerned, and whimsical. The spread of these attitudes was what led to the loss of the state in the first place. Yet even now, your officials and your subordinates are still indulging in the excesses of the Western Terrace (Luoyang), and they focus on furthering their influence and glorifying themselves. The front cart has already toppled over, yet the rear cart is following the exact same path and will suffer the same fate. From now on, I ask that you remove all such people who are afflicted by this disease from office."

But Sima Rui did not listen to him.

Now after Sima Jiong, Sima Ying, and Sima Yong had risen up against Sima Lun and overthrown him, they had published the Jihai Registry, in which they recorded those who had achieved merits on behalf of the cause and how they had been rewarded. Ever since, the Jihai Registry had been consulted for further usage. Chen Yun argued against this practice as well, saying, "When the Prince of Zhao (Sima Lun) usurped power and turned traitor, and Emperor Hui lost his place on the throne, the three Princes rose up with their soldiers to punish him, and it was for that particular purpose that they showed their grace and favor to people in order to show appreciation for the righteous actions that they had done. But even now, merits are evaluated or not and appraised as great or small all according to how people were listed in the Jihai Registry, to the extent that even mere private soldiers go about wearing gold and purple medals and household servants are entrusted with authority and planning duties, rather than these things being assigned to those whose reputations and performance deserve them. For the sake of true moral standards, I ask that you do away with all of this!"

Chen Yun came from a poor and obscure family, and he often discussed rectifying things in such ways. These things earned him the ire of many within Sima Rui's government, and they had him sent away to serve as Administrator of Qiao commandary.

〈錄事參軍,掌總錄衆曹,管其文案,自上佐以下,違失者彈正以法,掌凡諸司察之事。《白氏六帖》曰:州主簿、郡督郵,並今錄事參軍之職。余據睿以頵爲錄事參軍,自別有主簿,詳見《辨誤》。〉〈江東謂洛都爲西臺。〉〈見八十四卷惠帝永寧元年。〉〈斷,決也;言功之輕重、差次,皆以《己亥格》決之。〉

(The Copyist Army Advisor was the subordinate officer of the 總錄, and handled his civil cases. From above, he assisted those below, advocating proper and lawful behavior against those who had fallen short of the law. He also attended to the several affairs of the sacrificial offices. The 白氏六帖 states, "The Registrar in a province and the Postal Director in a commandary had the same duties as a Copyist Army Advisor." Now I, Hu Sanxing, note that Sima Rui had employed Chen Yun as a Copyist Army Advisor; he must have also had a Registrar, as may be seen in the 辨誤.

People in the Southland called the capital at Luoyang the Western Terrace.

The uprising of Sima Jiong and the other princes against Sima Lun is mentioned in Book 84, in Emperor Hui's first year of Yongning (301.11).

Chen Yun uses the term 斷; he means "decided by", in the sense that all merits, whether great or slight, lacking or exceptional, were determined in accordance with the entries in the Jihai Registry.)

吳興太守周玘,宗族強盛,琅邪王睿頗疑憚之。睿左右用事者,多中州亡官失守之士,駕御吳人,吳人頗怨。玘自以失職,又爲刁協所輕,恥恚愈甚,乃陰與其黨謀誅執政,以諸南士代之。事泄,玘憂憤而卒。將死,謂其子勰曰:「殺我者,諸傖子也;能復之,乃吾子也。」

16. The Administrator of Wuxing, Zhou Qi, came from a clan that was strong and extensive, so Sima Rui was inclined to suspect and fear him. Furthermore, many of Sima Rui's close advisors and aides were people who had fled from their original offices or defense posts in the north and had come south to join him, and they had pushed aside the longtime natives of the Wu region, earning their ire. Zhou Qi himself lost his position because of this tendency, and he was also belittled by Diao Xie, both of which pushed his shame and his anger past the breaking point. So Zhou Qi secretly plotted with his partisans to throw out the offenders and take over the government, then let the gentry of the Southland resume their former places. But this plot leaked, and Zhou Qi was so afraid and agitated that he passed away.

Before he died, he said to his son Zhou Xie, "It was those bumpkins who have killed me; if you can drive them out, then you will truly be my son."

〈玘,墟里翻。〉〈吳人謂中州爲傖。〉

(Zhou Qi's given name 玘 is pronounced "xi (x-i)".

The people of the Wu region called those from the Central Provinces "bumpkins".)

石勒攻李惲於上白,斬之。王浚復以薄盛爲青州刺史。

17. Shi Le attacked Li Yun at Shangbai and killed him. Wang Jun reappointed Bao Sheng as Inspector of Qingzhou.

〈上白城,在安平廣宗縣。李惲、薄盛皆乞活帥。〉

(The city of Shangbai was in Guangzong County in Anping commandary.

Li Hun and Bao Sheng were both commanders of Lifeseeker armies.)

王浚使棗嵩督諸軍屯易水,召段疾陸眷,欲與之共擊石勒,疾陸眷不至。浚怒,以重幣賂拓跋猗盧,幷檄慕容廆等共討疾陸眷。猗盧遣右賢王六脩將兵會之,爲疾陸眷所敗。廆遣慕容翰攻段氏,取徒河、新城,至陽樂,聞六脩敗而還,翰因留鎭徒河,壁青山。

18. Wang Jun sent Zao Song to lead several armies to camp at the Yi River. He also summoned Duan Jilujuan, planning to coordinate with him to attack Shi Le together. But Duan Jilujuan would not come to him. Furious, Wang Jun sent heavy bribes to Tuoba Yilu to buy his help, and he sent out a call to arms to Murong Hui and other local commanders to campaign against Duan Jilujuan. Tuoba Yilu sent his Worthy King of the Right, Tuoba Liuxiu, to lead soldiers to join up with Wang Jun, but this force was defeated by Duan Jilujuan.

Murong Hui sent his son Murong Han to attack the Duan clan, and he captured Tuhe and Xincheng. But by the time Murong Han reached Yangle, he heard that Tuoba Liuxiu had been defeated, so he turned back as well. Murong Han stayed behind at Tuhe to guard it, taking advantage of its natural defenses.

〈以釋其弟末柸德石勒,故不肯會浚兵。〉〈陽樂縣,屬遼西郡。賢曰:陽樂,在今平州東。〉

(Duan Jilujuan had made peace with Shi Le to free his younger brother Duan Mopei from Shi Le's control, and so he was not willing to join Wang Jun to attack Shi Le again.

Yangle County was part of Liaoxi commandary. Li Xian remarked, "Yang County was in the east of modern Pingzhou.")

初,中國士民避亂者,多北依王浚,浚不能存撫,又政法不立,士民往往復去之。段氏兄弟專尚武勇,不禮士大夫。唯慕容廆政事脩明,愛重人物,故士民多歸之。廆舉其英俊,隨才授任,以河東裴嶷、北平陽躭、廬江黃泓、代郡魯昌爲謀主,廣平游邃、北海逄羨、北平西方虔、西河宋奭及封抽、裴開爲股肱,平原宋該、安定皇甫岌、岌弟眞、蘭陵繆愷、昌黎劉斌及封奕、封裕典機要。裕,抽之子也。

19. At first, many of the people who had fled from the turmoil of the Middle Kingdom had gone north to live under Wang Jun. But Wang Jun had not been able to sustain them or keep them assured, and he did not maintain good government or proper law. So the gentry and the common people began to leave him in turn. Nor were the brothers of the Duan clan any more enticing: they were uncouth fighting fellows, and they did not treat scholar-officials with any proper respect. Only Murong Hui administered his domain with culture and wisdom, and this won him the great love of the people, so many of them flocked to him.

Murong Hui raised up those of his people who were heroic and talented, and those with ability were granted offices suited to them. For advisors, he employed Pei Yi of Hedong, Yang Dan of Beiping, Huang Hong of Lujiang, and Lu Chang of Dai. And for his closest men, he employed You Sui of Guangping, Pang Xian of Beihai, Xifang Qian of Beiping, Song Shi of Xihe, and Feng Chou and Pei Kai. To manage confidential affairs, he employed Song Gai of Pingyuan, Huangfu Ji of Anding and his younger brother Huangfu Zhen, Mou Kai of Lanling, Liu Bin of Changli, and Feng Yi and Feng Yu. This Feng Yu was the son of Feng Chou.

〈何氏《姓苑》:少昊金天氏,位主西方,子孫以爲姓。〉

(Regarding the surname 西方 Xifang, Master He's Garden of Surnames states, "Shaohan or Master Jintian had his domain in the 西方 west, and so his descendants took 西方 Xifang ('the west') as their clan name.")

裴嶷清方有幹略,爲昌黎太守,兄武爲玄菟太守。武卒,嶷與武子開以其喪歸,過廆,廆敬禮之,及去,厚加資送。行及遼西,道不通,嶷欲還就廆。開曰:「鄕里在南,柰何北行!且等爲流寓,段氏強,慕容氏弱,何必去此而就彼也!」嶷曰:「中國喪亂,今往就之,是相帥而入虎口也。且道遠,何由可達!若俟其清通,又非歲月可冀。今欲求託足之地,豈可不愼擇其人。汝觀諸段,豈有遠略,且能待國士乎!慕容公修行仁義,有霸王之志,加以國豐民安,今往從之,高可以立功名,下可以庇宗族,汝何疑焉!」開乃從之。旣至,廆大喜。陽躭清直沈敏,爲遼西太守,慕容翰破段氏於陽樂,獲之,廆禮而用之。游邃、逄羨、宋奭,皆嘗爲昌黎太守,與黃泓俱避地於薊,後歸廆。王浚屢以手書召邃兄暢,暢欲赴之,邃曰:「彭祖刑政不修,華、戎離叛,以邃度之,必不能久,兄且磐桓以俟之。」暢曰:「彭祖忍而多疑,頃者流民北來,命所在追殺之。今手書殷勤,我稽留不往,將累及卿。且亂世宗族宜分,以冀遺種。」邃從之,卒與浚俱沒。宋該與平原杜羣、劉翔先依王浚,又依段氏,皆以爲不足託,帥諸流寓同歸於廆。東夷校尉崔毖請皇甫岌爲長史,卑辭說諭,終莫能致;廆招之,岌與弟眞卽時俱至。遼東張統據樂浪、帶方二郡,與高句麗王乙弗利相攻,連年不解。樂浪王遵說統帥其民千餘家歸廆,廆爲之置樂浪郡,以統爲太守,遵參軍事。

20. Pei Yi was honest, just, and had great calculation. He was serving as Jin's Administrator of Changli, and Pei Yi's elder brother Pei Wu was Administrator of Xuantu.

When Pei Wu passed away, Pei Yi and Pei Wu's son Pei Kai began a journey back to their homeland to mourn for him. When they were passing through Murong Hui's city, Murong Hui received them with great respect and ceremony, and as they were leaving his city, he gave them great funds to finance their trip.

The pair travelled as far as Liaoxi, where the road further on was blocked. Pei Yi wanted to return to Murong Hui's domain. Pei Kai said, "Our homeland is in the south; why should we return to the north? Besides, we are all adrift right now; the Duan clan are the strong ones, while the Murong clan is weak. Why would you leave this place to go back to that one?"

Pei Yi replied, "The Middle Kingdom is still wracked by chaos; to go there now would be to cast ourselves into the tiger's maw. And the road to our homeland is so long that how could we ever successfully reach it? If we simply wait right here hoping that the chaos will be quelled, there is no telling how many months or years it will be.

"Now you want to find some place where you can be secure, but how can you be so rash as to consider someone like the Duan brothers? Just look at them; how can they possibly make plans to sustain themselves in the long run, much less receive the great men of the state? Lord Murong has cultivated his conduct and acts with benevolence and justice, and he has the ambition of a hegemon king. Not only that, but his territory is bountiful and his people are settled. If we were to follow him, in the best case we could perform great deeds and make a great name for ourselves, and even if not, we could at least ensure the safety of our family and our clan. How can you doubt him so?"

This won Pei Kai over. And when they returned to Murong Hui's domain, Murong Hui was overjoyed to see them.

Yang Dan was honest, forthright, profound, and nimble-minded. He was serving as Jin's Administrator of Liaoxi. When Murong Han routed the Duan clan at Yangle, he captured Yang Dan, and Murong Hui treated Yang Dan with ceremony and employed him.

You Sui, Pang Xian, and Song Shi had all once served as Administrator of Changli. The three of them, along with Huang Hong, had all fled to Wang Jun’s base at Ji, and later went to join Murong Hui.

Wang Jun had handwritten several letters to You Sui's elder brother You Chang summoning him, and You Chang was inclined to go join him. You Sui told him, "Pengzu (Wang Jun) does not rule fairly when it comes to either governance or justice, and the Hua (ethnic Han) and Rong (tribesmen) are all turning against him. Even I would not be able to maintain them for long. Elder Brother, you would certainly find it 'difficult to advance'."

You Chang replied, "Pengzu is the kind of man to hold grudges, and he is very suspicious as well. Whenever someone abandons him to go north with the refugees, he orders them pursued and killed. Now he has eagerly written me these letters in his own hand, and if I delay in going to join him, that will implicate you too. Besides, the realm is in chaos, and our clan should split up so that not all of us will be lost."

You Sui agreed to his advice, and so You Chang remained with Wang Jun and perished with him.

Song Gai had once served under Wang Jun together with Du Qun and Liu Xiang of Pingyuan. Then later they had gone to serve under the Duan clan, but since neither Wang Jun nor the Duan clan could provide them sufficient protection, they all led their various refugees to join Murong Hui.

Jin's Colonel of Eastern Yi Tribes, Cui Bi, asked Huangfu Ji to serve as his Chief Clerk. But even though Cui Bi used humble words to entice Huangfu Ji to join him, he could not win him over. Then Murong Hui summoned Huangfu Ji as well, and Huangfu Ji and his younger brother Huangfu Zhen both went to join Murong Hui.

Zhang Tong of Liaodong was occupying the two commandaries of Lelang and Daifang. He had been fighting a running battle with the King of Goguryeo, Go Eulbul, and the war had dragged on for over a year without success. Wang Zun of Lelang urged Zhang Tong to lead his people, more than a thousand families, to go join Murong Hui. Murong Hui created Lelang commandary for Zhang Tong and appointed him as the Administrator, and he appointed Wang Zun as an Army Advisor.

〈自玄菟西歸,道過棘城。菟,同都翻。〉〈言昌黎去河東旣遠,又路梗,無由得達。〉〈言天下方亂,道路未有清通之時。〉〈《易‧屯卦》初九《爻辭》曰:磐桓,利居貞。王弼曰:不可以進,故磐桓也。馬曰:磐桓,旋也。〉〈古語有之:鳥則擇木,木豈能擇鳥!〉

(When Pei Yi and Pei Kai went west from Xuantu to travel towards their homeland, the road they took passed through Murong Hui's city of Jicheng.

The second character of Xuantu, 菟, is pronounced "tou (t-ou)".

Pei Yi was saying that the road from their starting point at Changli to their homeland in Hedong was very long, and the road was blocked, so they could not make it back to their homeland. He was also saying that the whole realm was in chaos, and the roads would not have cleared up by then.

You Sui quotes the Book of Changes when he says it will be "difficult to advance". The First Nine Undivided entry of the Book of Changes states, "It will be difficult to advance. It will be advantageous for one to abide correct and firm." Regarding this passage, Wang Bi remarked, "When one cannot move forward, that is what is meant by being 'difficult to advance'." Ma remarked, "To be difficult to advance is to spin in place."

Regarding Huangfu Ji, the ancients had a saying: "The bird chooses its tree; how can the tree choose its bird?")

王如餘黨涪陵李運、巴西王建等自襄陽將三千餘家入漢中,梁州刺史張光遣參軍晉邈將兵拒之。邈受運、建賂,勸光納其降,光從之,使居成固。旣而邈見運、建及其徒多珍寶,欲盡取之,復說光曰:「運、建之徒,不修農事,專治器仗,其意難測,不如悉掩殺之,不然,必爲亂。」光又從之。五月,邈將兵攻運、建,殺之。建壻楊虎收餘衆擊光,屯于厄水;光遣其子孟萇討之,不能克。

21. It was earlier mentioned that the rebel leader Wang Ru had surrendered to Wang Dun. Li Yun of Fuling, Wang Jian of Baxi, and some of Wang Ru's other former followers led more than three thousand families from Xiangyang into Hanzhong. Jin's Inspector of Lianzhou, Zhang Guang, sent his Army Advisor Jin Miao to lead soldiers to block the approach of these forces. But Jin Miao took bribes from Li Yun and Wang Jian and so urged Zhang Guang to accept their surrender to him. Zhang Guang followed his advice, and allowed the people to settle at Chenggu.

But then, once Jin Miao had seen how many fine treasures that Li Yun, Wang Jian, and their followers possessed, he wanted to take all of them for himself. So he now advised Zhang Guang, "The followers of Li Yun and Wang Jian have not taken up the plow, but only grip their weapons all the tighter. It is not difficult to guess what they mean to do. Better to smash and kill the whole lot of them. Otherwise, they will definitely become a threat."

Zhang Guang once again followed his advice. In the fifth month, Jin Miao led soldiers to attack and kill Li Yun and Wang Jian.

Wang Jian's son-in-law Yang Hu gathered up their remaining followers to attack Zhang Guang, and he camped at the E River. Zhang Guang sent his son Zhang Mengchang to campaign against Yang Hu, but without success.

〈將貪於下,帥闇於上,梁州之禍,復自此始。〉

(A greedy subordinate and a blind leader; it was from this that Lianzhou's troubles began.)

壬辰,以琅邪王睿爲左丞相、大都督,督陝東諸軍事;南陽王保爲右丞相、大都督,督陝西諸軍事。詔曰:「今當掃除鯨鯢,奉迎梓宮。令幽、幷兩州勒卒三十萬直造平陽,右丞相宜帥秦、涼、梁、雍之師三十萬徑詣長安,左丞相帥所領精兵二十萬徑造洛陽,同赴大期,克成元勳。」

22. On the day Renchen (June 27th), Emperor Min appointed Sima Rui as Prime Minister of the Left, Grand Commander, and Commander of all military affairs east of Shan (that is, east of Luoyang). He appointed the Prince of Nanyang, Sima Bao, as Prime Minister of the Right, Grand Commander, and Commander of all military affairs west of Shan.

He issued an edict stating, "You are hereby ordered to sweep away and cast out these leviathans, and recover the coffin of His Late Majesty. I order the two provinces of Youzhou and Bingzhou (Wang Jun and Liu Kun) to send three hundred thousand soldiers to advance straight for Pingyang. The Prime Minister of the Right (Sima Bao) shall lead a further three hundred thousand soldiers from Qinzhou, Liangzhou, Lianzhou, and Yongzhou to march for Chang'an, and the Prime Minister of the Left (Sima Rui) shall likewise send two hundred thousand elite troops to march for Luoyang. Once these forces have joined together, then the great undertaking may be achieved."

〈所謂「分陝」也。〉〈鯨鯢,大魚,鈎網所不能制,以比敵人之魁桀者。〉〈謂懷帝遇害於平陽,梓宮未返也。〉

(This is what the expression "to divide the realm at Shan" means, to split the realm east and west at Shan, or Luoyang.

Emperor Min refers to the 鯨鯢. This is a great fish, which cannot be controlled when it is on the hook. It is a term used for describing an especially cruel enemy.

Emperor Min meant that since Emperor Huai had come to harm at Pingyang, his coffin had not yet returned to the imperial palace.)

漢中山王曜屯蒲坂。

23. Liu Yao camped at Puban.

石勒使孔萇擊定陵,殺田徽;薄盛率所部降勒,山東郡縣,相繼爲勒所取。漢主聰以勒爲侍中、征東大將軍。烏桓亦叛王浚,潛附於勒。

24. Shi Le sent Kong Chang to attack Dingling, where he killed Tian Hui. Bao Sheng led his forces to surrender to Shi Le, and Shi Le captured the other commandaries and counties east of the mountains in turn. Liu Cong appointed Shi Le as Palace Attendant and Grand General Who Conquers The East.

The Wuhuan also turned against Wang Jun, and secretly went over to Shi Le.

〈定陵縣,漢屬潁川郡,晉屬襄城郡。田徽,王浚用爲兗州刺史。〉〈史言王浚之勢浸以孤弱。〉

(During Han, Dingling County was part of Yingchuan commandary. During Jin, it was part of Xiangcheng commandary.

Wang Jun had appointed Tian Hui as his Inspector of Yanzhou.

This passage shows how Wang Jun was gradually becoming isolated and weaker.)

六月,劉琨與代公猗盧會于陘北,謀擊漢。秋,七月,琨進據藍谷,猗盧遣拓跋普根屯于北屈。琨遣監軍韓據自西河而南,將攻西平。漢主聰遣大將軍粲等拒琨,驃騎將軍易等拒普根,蕩晉將軍蘭陽等助守西平。琨等聞之,引兵還。聰使諸軍仍屯所在,爲進取之計。

25. In the sixth month, Liu Kun and Tuoba Yilu joined their forces north of the mountain passes, plotting to attack Han. In autumn, the seventh month, Liu Kun advanced and occupied Lan Valley, while Tuoba Yilu sent Tuoba Pugen to camp at Beiqu County. Liu Kun sent his Director of the Army, Han Ju, to march south from Xihe, planning to have him attack Xiping.

Liu Cong sent his Grand General, his son Liu Can, and others to oppose Liu Kun, while sending his General of Agile Cavalry, Liu Yii, and others to oppose Tuoba Pugen, and sending his General Who Sweeps Away Jin, Lan Yang, and others to reinforce Xiping.

When Liu Kun and the others heard of these troop movements, they withdrew their own forces. Liu Cong had his armies press on and camp in the field, plotting how they might further advance and capture territory.

〈北屈縣,漢屬河東郡,晉屬平陽郡,春秋晉公子夷吾所居邑也。宋白曰:慈州夾城縣,本漢北屈縣地。師古曰:屈,音居勿翻。〉〈西平城,在平陽西,漢主聰築以居其子濟南王驥。〉

(During Han, Beiqu County was part of Hedong commandary. During Jin, it was part of Pingyang commandary. During the Spring and Autumn era, the son of the Duke of Jin, Yiwu, had dwelled in the village there. Song Bai remarked, "Jiacheng County in Cizhou was originally Han's Beiqu County." Yan Shigu remarked, "The second character of Beiqu, 屈, is pronounced 'ju (j-u)'."

The city of Xiping was west of Pingyang. Liu Cong had built it as a dwelling place for the Prince of Jinan, his son Liu Ji.)

帝遣殿中都尉劉蜀詔左丞相睿以時進軍,與乘輿會於中原。八月,癸亥,蜀至建康,睿辭以方平定江東,未暇北伐。以鎭東長史刁協爲丞相左長史,從事中郎彭城劉隗爲司直,邵陵內史廣陵戴邈爲軍諮祭酒,參軍丹陽張闓爲從事中郎,尚書郎潁川鍾雅爲記室參軍,譙國桓宣爲舍人,豫章熊遠爲主簿,會稽孔愉爲掾。劉隗雅習文史,善伺候睿意,故睿特親愛之。

26. Emperor Min sent his Commandant of the Central Hall, Liu Shu, to bear his edict to Sima Rui to arrange for a time for Sima Rui's forces to advance and restore Emperor Min back to the Central Plains. In the eighth month, on the day Guihai (September 26th), Liu Shu arrived at Sima Rui's base at Jiankang. Sima Rui explained to him that as he was still occupied in pacifying the Southland, he was not yet free to launch a northern expedition.

Sima Rui appointed his Chief Clerk to the General Who Guards The East, Diao Xie, as Chief Clerk to the Prime Minister of the Left. He appointed his Attendant Officer of the Household Gentlemen, Liu Kui of Pengcheng, as his Director of Justice. He appointed the Interior Minister of Shaoling, Dai Miao of Guangling, as an Army Libationer-Attendant. He appointed his Army Advisor, Zhang Kai of Danyang, as the new Attendant Officer of the Household Gentlemen. He appointed the Master of Writing, Zhong Ya of Yingchuan, as his Recordskeeping Army Advisor. He appointed Huan Xuan of the Qiao princely fief as a Retainer. He appointed Xiong Yuan of Yuzhang as his Registrar. He appointed Kong Yu of Kuaiji as his Official.

This Liu Kui was skilled and well-versed in the classics and the histories, and he delighted in attending upon Sima Rui, which was why Sima Rui was especially close to him and treasured him.

〈殿中都尉,屬二衞。〉〈吳孫晧寶鼎元年,分零陵北部都尉立邵陵郡。宋白曰:邵陵,漢之昭陵縣,吳立邵陵郡,唐爲邵州。〉〈爲刁、劉間王敦兄弟張本。〉

(The Commandant of the Central Hall was subordinate to the two Generals of the Guards.

In Sun Hao of Eastern Wu's first year of Baoding (266), he had split off the northern half of the Lingling Command Post to form Shaoling commandary. Song Bai remarked, "Shaoling was Han's Zhaoling County. Eastern Wu established it as Shaoling commandary, and during Tang it was Shaozhou."

This was why Diao Xie and Liu Kui later alienated Wang Dun and his brothers.)

(It was during this year that the city of Jianye was renamed Jiankang. Emperor Min’s given name was 業 Ye, and to avoid the naming taboo, 建業 Jianye was renamed to Jiankang.)

熊遠上書,以爲:「軍興以來,處事不用律令,競作新意,臨事立制,朝作夕改,至於主者不敢任法,每輒關諮,非爲政之體也。愚謂凡爲駁議者,皆當引律令、經傳,不得直以情言,無所依準,以虧舊典。若開塞隨宜,權道制物,此是人君之所得行,非臣子所宜專用也。」睿以時方多事,不能從。

27. Xiong Yuan sent up a petition to Sima Rui, stating, "Ever since you have set yourself up here, the management of affairs has not been in accordance with established laws and practices. Systems are only cobbled together at the particular moment when they are called for, and the whole system of the court changes overnight. Things are such that the directors do not dare to rely upon any precedents or laws at all, and have to report on and seek counsel for every single case that comes their way. This is no way to run a government.

"Foolish I may be, but whoever would criticize my words ought to draw from established laws or from the classics and commentaries as the basis of their reasonings. Without forthright speech to express one's thoughts, and without precedents for guidance, the old laws and canons will be lost. If you could clear up these obstructions and make established systems, so that there are clear paths and practices to follow, that would be to achieve the conduct of a superior fellow, and prevent the ministers from exercising full control."

But because of the numerous affairs he was dealing with, Sima Rui could not follow this advice.

〈關,白也。〉

(Xiong Yuan uses the term 關; this means "report on".)

初,范陽祖逖,少有大志,與劉琨俱爲司州主簿,同寢,中夜聞雞鳴,蹴琨覺曰:「此非惡聲也!」因起舞。及渡江,左丞相睿以爲軍諮祭酒。逖居京口,糾合驍健,言於睿曰:「晉室之亂,非上無道而下怨叛也,由宗室爭權,自相魚肉,遂使戎狄乘隙,毒流中土。今遺民旣遭殘賊,人思自奮,大王誠能命將出師,使如逖者統之以復中原,郡國豪傑,必有望風響應者矣!」睿素無北伐之志,以逖爲奮威將軍、豫州刺史,給千人廩,布三千疋,不給鎧仗,使自召募。逖將其部曲百餘家渡江,中流,擊楫而誓曰:「祖逖不能清中原而復濟者,有如大江!」遂屯淮陰,起冶鑄兵,募得二千餘人而後進。

28. It was earlier mentioned that Zu Ti of Fanyang had served under Sima Ai. This Zu Ti had had great ambitions ever since youth. He once served with Liu Kun as Registrars in Sizhou. They were sleeping on the same bed together when, during the middle of the night, Zu Ti heard a rooster crow. He kicked Liu Kun awake and said, "This is no evil sound!" And he got up and did a sword dance.

Zu Ti later crossed the Yangzi, and Sima Rui appointed him as an Army Libationer-Consultant. Zu Ti resided at Jingkou, where he rounded up local brave fellows. With such men in hand, he said to Sima Rui, "The cause of the turmoil within the Jin royal family was not because of lack of virtue among those above, but because of anger and rebellion among those below. Thus did the royal clan fight one another for power, and turned themselves all into fishbait. They even brought in the Rong and Di tribes through the border defenses, and let their poison seep into the Middle Land.

"Now the people have been abandoned to suffer the ravages of these cruel invaders. But they wish to exert themselves, and Great Prince, you are truly the one who can command them and send them forth. If you will send someone like me to lead them and recover the Central Plains, then all the heroes of every fief and commandary will see how the wind blows and come rushing to heed your call!"

But Sima Rui had never had any inclination to conduct a northern expedition. He merely appointed Zu Ti as General Who Exerts Might and as Inspector of Yuzhou. Although he gave him food stores to feed a thousand troops and three thousand bolts of cloth to dress them in, he did not supply Zu Ti with any arms or armor, and he told Zu Ti to recruit his own soldiers.

Zu Ti was leading his forces, more than a hundred families, back north across the Yangzi. During the crossing, he tapped on an oar and declared, "If I, Zu Ti, cannot purge the Central Plains and restore them, then I shall be like this great Yangzi River!"

Having crossed the Yangzi, he camped at Huaiyin County, where he built smithies and foundries for weapons. He recruited more than two thousand soldiers before beginning his advance.

〈漢涿郡,魏文帝更名曰范陽郡。〉〈蹴,蹋也。覺,寤也。〉〈吳孫權自吳徙丹徒,謂之京城,有京峴山在其東,其城因山爲壘,俯臨江津,故曰京口。〉〈繩三合爲糾;糾,言合三爲一也。〉〈給千人糧廩及布三千疋而已。〉〈淮陰縣,前漢屬臨淮郡,後漢屬下邳國,晉屬廣陵郡。〉

(Han's Zhuo commandary was renamed by Emperor Wen of Cao-Wei (Cao Pi) to Fanling commandary.

This passage states that Zu Ti 蹴ed Liu Kun to 覺 him. To 蹴 is to kick, and to 覺 is to awaken.

When Sun Quan of Eastern Wu had moved from Wu to Dantu, he renamed that place to Jingcheng; Mount Jingxian was to the east of it. Because of the mountains, this city served as a natural fortress. And since it was so close to a crossing of the Yangzi, it was called Jingkou ("river mouth at the capital").

This passage state that Zu Ti 糾ed up some brave fellows. When one binds a cord around three times, one 糾s; so to 糾 is to round up three times into one.

Sima Rui gave Zu Ti food stores for a thousand soldiers and cloth bolts for three thousand, but no more.

During Former Han, Huaiyin County was part of Linhuai commandary. During Later Han, it was part of the Xiapi princely fief. During Jin, it was part of Guangling commandary.)

胡亢性猜忌,殺其驍將數人。杜曾懼,潛引王沖之兵使攻亢。亢悉精兵出拒之,城中空虛,曾因殺亢而幷其衆。

29. It was earlier mentioned that Hu Kang had formed a group of rebels in Jingzhou, with Du Zeng and others as his subordinates. But Hu Kang was suspicious and paranoid by nature, and he killed several of his valiant generals. Du Zeng was thus afraid. He secretly arranged to have Wang Chong's soldiers come attack Hu Kang. Hu Kang sent all of his elite soldiers outside to face this threat, leaving the inside of his city exposed. Du Zeng then killed Hu Kang and took over his forces.

〈王沖,荊州賊也。〉

(Wang Chong was a bandit leader in Jingzhou.)

周顗屯潯水城,爲杜弢所困;陶侃使明威將軍朱伺救之,弢退保泠口。侃曰:「弢必步向武昌。」乃自徑道還郡以待之,弢果來攻。侃使朱伺逆擊,大破之,弢遁歸長沙。周顗出潯水投王敦於豫章,敦留之。陶侃使參軍王貢告捷於敦,敦曰:「若無陶侯,便失荊州矣!」乃表侃爲荊州刺史,屯沔江。左丞相睿召周顗,復以爲軍諮祭酒。

30. Sima Rui's minister Zhou Yi was camped at the city of Xunshui, where he was besieged by the rebel leader Du Tao. Tao Kan sent the General of Brilliant Might, Zhu Ci, to reinforce Zhou Yi, and so Du Tao broke off the siege and fell back to guard Lingkou.

Tao Kan mused, "Du Tao must be marching towards Wuchang." So he marched back along shortcuts to that commandary to await Du Tao, and as Tao Kan expected, Du Tao arrived to attack. Tao Kan then sent Zhu Ci to counter-attack Du Tao, and Zhu Ci greatly routed him. Du Tao ran away back to Changsha.

Zhou Yi came out of Xunshui and sought refuge with Wang Dun at Yuzhang, who accepted him.

Tao Kan sent his Army Advisor, Wang Gong, to report his victory to Wang Dun. Wang Dun remarked, "If it weren't for Marquis Tao, we would've lost all of Jingzhou!" And he sent in a petition asking that Tao Kan be appointed as Inspector of Jingzhou and stationed between the Mian River and the Yangzi.

Sima Rui summoned Zhou Yi back to Jiankang, and once more appointed him as Army Libationer-Consultant.

〈《廬山記》曰:尋陽縣,在大江之北,尋水之陽。潯水城,無乃古之尋陽城乎!〉〈沈約《志》:魏置將軍四十號,明威第三。《水經註》:泠水南出九疑山,北流逕泠道縣西南,又北流注于都溪水,又西北入于營水,所謂泠口也。余考此泠口去武昌甚遠,又《水經註》,江水自蘄春故城南,又東得銅零口,此無乃是乎!〉〈徑道,捷出之路。〉〈《水經註》:沌水上承沔陽之白湖,東南流,逕沔陽縣南注于江,謂之沌口。陸游曰:江陵之建寧鎭,蓋沌口也。王敦以陶侃爲荊州,鎭此,明年徙林鄣。《侃傳》云:初鎭沌口,移入沔江。《水經註》︰林障故城,在沔南。沔江,謂林障也。〉

(Regarding Xunshui, the Record of Mount Lu states, "Xunyang County was north of the Yangzi, on the north bank of the Xun River." Was this "Xunshui" not therefore just the old city of Xunyang?

Shen Yue's Records states, "Of the forty general ranks created by Cao-Wei, General of Brilliant Might was the third-ranking one."

This passage claims that Du Tao fell back to defend 泠口 Lingkou. The Commentary on the Water Classic States, "The Ling River has its source flowing south out of Mount Jiuyi. It then flows north through the southwest of Lingdao County, and on east until it enters the Duxi River. It also flows northwest to where it enters the Ying River, at a place called 泠口 Lingkou." Now I, Hu Sanxing, note that this Lingkou was very far away from Wuchang. Meanwhile, according to the Commentary, the Yangzi turns south at the capital city of Qichun, and then east until it reaches 銅零口 Tonglingkou. Could this not be the "Lingkou" in question?

Shortcuts are roads for quick travel.

The Commentary on the Water Classic further states, "The Dun River becomes White Lake at Mianyang, and then flows southeast from there, passing south of Mianyang County until it enters the Yangzi. That place is called Dunkou." Lu You remarked, "The Jianning Garrison at Jiangling was at Dunkou." When Wang Dun had Tao Kan appointed as Inspector of Jingzhou, this was where he initially posted him, and had him moved to Linzhang the following year. The Biography of Tao Kan in the Book of Jin states, "He initially guarded Dunkou, and then moved into the Mian and Yangzi region." The Commentary further states, "The capital city of Linzhang was south of the Mian River." So this passage's "between the Mian River and the Yangzi" meant at Linzhang.)

初,氐王楊茂搜之子難敵,遣養子販易於梁州,私賣良人子一人,張光鞭殺之。難敵怨曰:「使君初來,大荒之後,兵民之命仰我氐活,氐有小罪,不能貰也?」及光與楊虎相攻,各求救於茂搜,茂搜遣難敵救光。難敵求貨於光,光不與。楊虎厚賂難敵,且曰:「流民珍貨,悉在光所,今伐我,不如伐光。」難敵大喜。光與虎戰,使張孟萇居前,難敵繼後。難敵與虎夾擊孟萇,大破之,孟萇及其弟援皆死。光嬰城自守。九月,光憤激成疾,僚屬勸光退據魏興。光按劍曰:「吾受國重任,不能討賊,今得死如登仙,何謂退也!」聲絕而卒。州人推其少子邁領州事,又與氐戰沒,衆推始平太守胡子序領梁州。

31. It was earlier mentioned that the Di ruler Yang Maosou had made himself Worthy Prince of the Right in the small western state of Chouchi. Sometime afterwards, Yang Maosou's son Yang Nandi had sent his own adopted son Yang Fanyi to visit Lianzhou. Yang Fanyi had secretly sold a slave to an esteemed man. As punishment, Zhang Guang had Yang Fanyi whipped and then killed. Yang Nandi was furious, saying, "This Inspector has only newly arrived and in the wake of a great famine, yet he places the lives of our Di people in the hands of his soldiers and people. If a Di man had committed some minor offense, could he not pardon it?"

When Zhang Guang began fighting with Yang Hu, both sides sent word to Yang Maosou asking him to help them. Yang Maosou sent Yang Nandi to assist Zhang Guang. Yang Nandi asked Zhang Guang to send him funds, but Zhang Guang refused to do so. Meanwhile, Yang Hu showered Yang Nandi with bribes, and he also told him, "Zhang Guang had taken all the fine treasures that the refugees had before. Rather than fight me now, you should be fighting him." Yang Nandi was greatly pleased.

When Zhang Guang went to fight Yang Hu, he placed Zhang Mengchang in the front line and put Yang Nandi in the rear as his reserves. But Yang Nandi and Yang Hu pressed together and attacked Zhang Mengchang between them, greatly routing him. Zhang Mengchang and his younger brother Zhang Yuan both died. Zhang Guang withdrew into his city to defend himself.

By the ninth month, Zhang Guang had become so agitated and stressed that he developed an illness. His subordinates and officials urged him to fall back to occupy Weixing. But Zhang Guang drew his sword and declared, "I have received a heavy responsibility from the state. If I cannot punish these bandits, then I must accept death like becoming an immortal. Why speak of retreat?" As soon as he finished speaking, he passed away.

The provincial officials acclaimed his youngest son Zhang Mai to take over the provincial affairs. But Zhang Mai was lost in battle against the Di, so the officials acclaimed the Administrator of Shiping, Hu Zixu, as the acting leader of Lianzhou.

〈貰,貸也,恕也。〉〈謂晉邈所殺奪者。〉〈張光雖以信用晉邈致寇,其氣烈亦可尚也。〉

(Yang Nandi uses the term 貰; it means to pardon or to forgive.

Yang Hu was referring to how Jin Miao had killed the refugee leaders and taken their treasures.

Although Zhang Guang trusted Jin Miao and brought about the invasion in the first place, his spirit and zeal were also commendable.)

荀藩薨于開封。

32. Xun Fan passed away at Kaifeng.

〈荀藩、傅祗相繼而沒,陝東二行臺,惟荀組在耳。《考異》曰:《帝紀》曰「薨於滎陽。」今從《藩傳》。〉

(Xun Fan and Fu Zhi each passed away one after the other, and so of the two Acting Terrace administrations east of Shan, now only Xun Zu's remained.

Sima Guang's commentary in the Textual Analysis states, "The Annals of Emperor Min in the Book of Jin states, 'Xun Fan passed away at Xingyang.' But I follow the account of the Biography of Xun Fan in the Book of Jin.")

漢中山王曜、趙染攻麴允于黃白城,允累戰皆敗;詔以索綝爲征東大將軍,將兵助允。

33. Liu Yao and Zhao Ran attacked Qu Yun at the city of Huangbai. Qu Yun fought them several times, but was always defeated. Emperor Min issued an edict appointing Suo Chen as Grand General Who Conquers The East, and sent him with troops to assist Qu Yun.

王貢自王敦所還,至竟陵,矯陶侃之命,以杜曾爲前鋒大都督,擊王沖,斬之,悉降其衆。侃召曾,曾不至。貢恐以矯命獲罪,遂與曾反擊侃。冬,十月,侃兵大敗,僅以身免。敦表侃以白衣領職。侃復帥周訪等進擊杜弢,大破之,敦乃奏復侃官。

34. Wang Gong was returning to Tao Kan after giving his report to Wang Dun. When Wang Gong arrived at Jingling, he forged an order from Tao Kan, appointing Du Zeng as Grand Commander of the Vanguard. He attacked Wang Chong and beheaded him, and accepted the surrender of his full force.

Tao Kan then summoned Du Zeng, but Du Zeng would not come. Afraid that he would be punished for forging Tao Kan's order, Wang Gong joined with Du Zeng to rebel against Tao Kan. In winter, the tenth month, Tao Kan's soldiers were greatly defeated, and he barely escaped with his life. Wang Dun petitioned to have Tao Kan demoted to commoner status while keeping his office.

Tao Kan then led his forces, including Zhou Fang and others, to advance and attack Du Tao, greatly routing him. So Wang Dun then petitioned to have Tao Kan's status restored.

漢趙染謂中山王曜曰:「麴允率大衆在外,長安空虛,可襲也。」曜使染帥精騎五千襲長安,庚寅夜,入外城。帝奔射鴈樓。染焚龍尾及諸營,殺掠千餘人;辛卯旦,退屯逍遙園。壬辰,將軍麴鑒自阿城帥衆五千救長安。癸巳,染引還,鑒追之,與曜遇於零武,鑒兵大敗。

35. Zhao Ran said to Liu Yao, "Qu Yun has led the bulk of his forces out into the field, leaving Chang'an defenseless. We can attack it." So Liu Yao sent Zhao Ran to led five thousand elite cavalry to raid Chang'an.

On the night of the day Gengyin (?), Zhao Ran's cavalry entered the outer walls of Chang'an. Emperor Min retreated to the Sheyan Tower. Zhao Ran set fire to the Dragon's Tail and the various barracks, and killed or plundered more than a thousand people. At dawn on the day Xinmao (?), he fell back to camp at the Xiaoyao Garden.

On the day Renchen (?), the Jin general Qu Jian led five thousand soldiers from Echeng to reinforce Chang'an. On the day Guisi (?), Zhao Ran led his cavalry away. Qu Jian pursued them, but he encountered Liu Yao at Lingwu, where Qu Jian's soldiers were greatly defeated.

〈龍尾者,依城築道,陂陁漸高,登陴所由之路也。又《水經》曰:秦時有黑龍,從南山出,飲渭水,其行道因山成跡,長六十餘里,頭臨渭水,尾達樊川。漢蕭何起未央宮,斬龍首山而營之,頭高二十丈,尾漸下,高五六丈。所謂龍尾者,此山之尾也。〉〈《水經註》:沈水,上承皇子陂於樊川,北逕長安城西,與昆明池水合。沈水又東北流,逕鄧艾祠南,又東分爲二水,一水東入逍遙園。〉〈阿城,卽秦阿房宮城也。〉〈前漢北地郡有靈武縣,後漢、晉省;至後魏置咸陽郡,池陽、靈武二縣並屬焉。黃白城在池陽。則此零武爲前漢北地郡、魏咸陽郡之靈武明矣。〉

(The Dragon's Tail was a road constructed along the walls of the city, a narrow slope that gradually rose higher, as a means of ascending the walls. The Water Classic also states, "During the time of the Qin dynasty, there was a black dragon which arose from out of the southern hills near Chang'an and drank from the Wei River. The path it took through the hills created a road, more than sixty li in length, with its head at the Wei River and its tail at Fanchuan. When Xiao He of Han built the Weiyang Palace, he carved off the top of Mount Dragon Head and placed it there. The head was twenty zhang in heigh, and the way down from there became lower until reaching the tail, which was five or six zhang in height." So the Dragon's Tail mentioned in this passage was the tail of this mountain.

The Commentary on the Water Classic further states, "The Chen River emerges from Huangzi Slope at Fanchuan. It flows north, passing west of the walls of Chang'an, and joins the waters of Kunming Pond. The Chen River then flows further northeast, passing south of the shrine of Deng Ai, and further east of there it splits into two rivers, with one river flowing east into the Xiaoyao Garden."

Echeng was the Qin dynasty's Epang Palace.

Former Han's Beidi commandary had a Lingwu County, but it was abolished during Later Han and Jin. During the time of Northern Wei, they created Xianyang commandary, which had the two counties of Chiyang and Lingwu as subordinate counties. The city of Huangbai was in Chiyang. So the Lingwu mentioned in this passage must have been the same Lingwu that was in Former Han's Beidi commandary and Northern Wei's Xianyang commandary.)

楊虎、楊難敵急攻梁州,胡子序棄城走,難敵自稱刺史。

36. Yang Hu and Yang Nandi continued to press their attack against Lianzhou. Hu Zixu abandoned his city and fled. Yang Nandi declared himself the Inspector of Lianzhou.

漢中山王曜恃勝而不設備,十一月,麴允引兵襲之,漢兵大敗,殺其冠軍將軍喬智明;曜引歸平陽。

37. Liu Yao became complacent because of his recent victory and did not make any defensive preparations. In the eleventh month, Qu Yun led his troops to attack Liu Yao. The Han soldiers were greatly defeated, and Qu Yun's army killed Liu Yao's Champion General, Qiao Zhiming. Liu Yao led his soldiers back to Pingyang.

王浚以其父字處道,自謂應「當塗高」之讖,謀稱尊號。前勃海太守劉亮、北海太守王摶、司空掾高柔切諫,浚皆殺之。燕國霍原,志節清高,屢辭徵辟。浚以尊號事問之,原不答。浚誣原與羣盜通,殺而梟其首。於是士民駭怨,而浚矜豪日甚,不親政事,所任皆苛刻小人,棗嵩、朱碩,貪橫尤甚。北州謠曰:「府中赫赫,朱丘伯;十囊、五囊,入棗郎。」調發殷煩,下不堪命,多叛入鮮卑。從事韓咸監護柳城,盛稱慕容廆能接納士民,欲以諷浚;浚怒,殺之。

38. There had once been a prophecy that stated, "The one to replace Han shall be 'High Road'." Wang Jun considered that since his father's style name had been Chudao ("Place Road"), he himself was the fulfilment of this prophecy. So he plotted to claim imperial title for himself. The former Administrator of Bohai, Liu Liang, the Administrator of Beihai, Wang Tuan, and the Official to the Minister of Works, Gao Rou, sharply criticized Wang Jun for considering this step, but Wang Jun killed them all.

Huo Yuan of the Yan princely fief was a fellow who kept aloof from political affairs in his ambitions and desires, and he had often declined to respond to summons or requests. Wang Jun now asked him what he thought about his imperial prospects. But when Huo Yuan would not respond to him, Wang Jun slandered Huo Yuan as being in communication with the enemies of state, and he killed Huo Yuan and hung up his head.

Thus were the gentry and the people further shocked and incensed at Wang Jun. Furthermore, Wang Jun became more proud and arrogant by the day. He no longer personally attended to government affairs, but left everything in the hands of severe miscreants, especially the trio of Zao Song, Zhu Shuo, and Tan Heng. A ditty spread among the northern provinces which went, "Among the men of government, Zhu Qiubo is the worst. And it's Young Master Zao who's got the whole place in his purse." Their policies were so troublesome that those living under Wang Jun could not bear to obey them, and many people rebelled and went over to the Xianbei.

The Attendant Officer, Han Xian, was watching over Liucheng County. He spread a claim that Murong Hui was able to receive and accept the scholars and the people, wishing thereby to mock Wang Jun. Wang Jun was furious, and he killed Han Xian.

〈王浚,又一袁術也。〉〈此又一高柔,非魏之高柔。〉〈朱丘伯,朱碩字也。嵩,浚之壻,故曰棗郎。〉〈柳城縣,前漢屬遼西郡,後漢、晉省。〉

(Wang Jun was another Yuan Shu.

Despite having the exact same name, the Gao Rou in this passage was not the same Gao Rou who served Cao-Wei.

Qiubo was Zhu Shuo's style name. Zao Song was Wang Jun's son-in-law, and so the ditty calls him Young Master Zao.

During Former Han, Liucheng County was part of Liaoxi commandary. Later Han and Jin abolished it.)

浚始者者唯恃鮮卑、烏桓以爲強,旣而皆叛之。加以蝗旱連年,兵勢益弱。石勒欲襲之,未知虛實,將遣使覘之,參佐請用羊祜、陸抗故事,致書於浚。勒以問張賓,賓曰:「浚名爲晉臣,實欲廢晉自立,但患四海英雄莫之從耳;其欲得將軍,猶項羽之欲得韓信也。將軍威振天下,今卑辭厚禮,折節事之,猶懼不信,況爲羊、陸之亢敵乎!夫謀人而使人覺其情,難以得志矣。」勒曰:「善!」十二月,勒遣舍人王子春、董肇多齎珍寶,奉表於浚曰:「勒本小胡,遭世饑亂,流離屯厄,竄命冀州,竊相保聚以救性命。今晉祚淪夷,中原無主;殿下州鄕貴望,四海所宗,爲帝王者,非公復誰!勒所以捐軀起兵,誅討暴亂者,正爲殿下驅除爾。伏願殿下應天順人,早登皇祚。勒奉戴殿下如天地父母,殿下察勒微心,亦當視之如子也。」又遺棗嵩書,厚賂之。

39. Wang Jun had only been powerful to begin with because he relied upon the support of the Xianbei and the Wuhuan to give him strength. But by now, they had all turned against him. Even worse, his territory suffered from locusts and drought in successive years, making his soldiers even weaker.

Shi Le wanted to attack Wang Jun, but he was uncertain of Wang Jun's exact situation. He was about to send envoys to Wang Jun to better observe his condition, and his advisors suggested that he follow the example of Yang Hu and Lu Kang by exchanging letters with Wang Jun.

Shi Le asked Zhang Bin what he thought should be done. Zhang Bin replied, "Wang Jun earned his reputation as a minister of Jin, but what he really wants is to overthrow Jin and establish himself as sovereign. He is only held back by the fact that none of the great heroes from within the Four Seas has come to join him, and so his great desire is to gain himself a fine general. He is like a Xiang Yu who is searching for his own Han Xin.

"Now General, your own might is known throughout the realm. Even if you were to use humble words and excessive ceremony and fully placed yourself at Wang Jun's disposal, even then I am not certain he would trust you. How much less can you address him as an equal and an enemy, as though the two of you were Yang Hu and Lu Kang? When you are dealing with a fellow who is plotting something, you must send an envoy to measure his intentions, or else it will be hard to be sure of his ambitions."

Shi Le replied, "Excellent!"

In the twelfth month, Shi Le sent his Retainers Wang Zichun and Dong Zhao to bring Wang Jun many precious treasures, and they presented a petition to him from Shi Le which stated, "I, Shi Le, am a mere meager barbarian. Thrust into an age of famine and turmoil, I drifted about and encountered dangers, scurrying into Jizhou in order to save my life, and hiding away and gathering together a host to defend ourselves and preserve our futures.

"Now the altars of Jin have been swept away by the tribes, and the Central Plains are without a sovereign. Your Highness, you and I are neighbors of the same province. You are honored and exalted, and every clan within the Four Seas wants to have you as their Emperor; for if not you, who else could it be? I have risked my life and raised up soldiers to punish evil and quell chaos purely so that I could clear Your Highness's road to rule. Now I earnestly plea that Your Highness will heed the will of Heaven and obey the wishes of the people, and quickly mount the imperial throne.

"I shall serve Your Highness as I serve Heaven and Earth or my own mother and father. May Your Highness kindly consider the desires of my simple heart, and look upon me as a son."

The envoys also presented a letter to Zao Song, and heavily bribed him.

〈欲用敵國交鄰之禮。〉〈屯,難也。〉〈勒,上黨武鄕人,而浚太原人,故云州鄕。〉

(The advisors wanted Shi Le to exchange letters with Wang Jun following the ceremonies of contact between enemy states.

Shi Le uses the term 屯; this means "difficulties".

Shi Le was a native of Wuxiang in Shangdang commandary, while Wang Jun was a native of Taiyuan commandary, so Shi Le calls them "neighbors of the same province".)

浚以段疾陸眷新叛,士民多棄己去,聞勒欲附之,甚喜,謂子春曰:「石公一時豪傑,據有趙、魏,乃欲稱藩於孤,其可信乎?」子春曰:「石將軍才力強盛,誠如聖旨。但以殿下中州貴望,威行夷、夏,自古胡人爲輔佐名臣則有矣,未有爲帝王者也。石將軍非惡帝王不爲而讓於殿下,顧以帝王自有曆數,非智力之所取,雖強取之,必不爲天人之所與故也。項羽雖強,終爲漢有。石將軍之比殿下,猶陰精之與太陽,是以遠鑒前事,歸身殿下,此乃石將軍之明識所以遠過於人也,殿下又何怪乎!」浚大悅,封子春、肇皆爲列侯,遣使報聘,以厚幣酬之。

40. By this time, Duan Jilujuan had just rebelled against Wang Jun, and many of the gentry and the people living under him had already abandoned him and left. So when he heard that Shi Le wanted to serve under him, Wang Jun was greatly pleased.

He asked Wang Zichun, "Lord Shi is a hero of the age, and he occupies the regions of Zhao and Wei. Yet he would make himself my vassal? Can I trust him?"

Wang Zichun replied, "General Shi's strength and talents are great and extensive, just as you say. However, it is Your Highness who is honored and exalted throughout the Central Provinces, and your might has spread among the tribes and the Xia (ethnic Han). It is true that ever since ancient times there have been barbarians who have served as famous ministers that upheld the state, but not a one of them has ever become King or Emperor in their own right.

"It is not that General Shi despises kingship and so is offering the throne to Your Highness. Rather, it has always been the case that kingship is not a matter of one's strength or cunning. Although General Shi is strong enough to become a king, he would certainly not have the approval of either Heaven or the people. Xiang Yu was just as strong, but he lost to Han in the end. To compare General Shi to Your Highness is to compare the morning dew to the light of the sun.

"With these distant examples serving as a mirror to current events, General Shi is presenting himself to Your Highness. Thus does General Shi grasp the wisdom of the prophecy and display his foresight ahead of other men. Your Highness, what further cause do you have to doubt him?"

Wang Jun was delighted. He appointed Wang Zichun and Dong Zhao as minor Marquises, and he sent back a favorable response, sending a great sum of funds as a reward.

游綸兄統,爲浚司馬,鎭范陽,遣使私附於勒;勒斬其使以送浚。浚雖不罪統,益信勒爲忠誠,無復疑矣。

41. It was earlier mentioned that Shi Le had accepted the surrender of You Lun, who had been serving Wang Jun. You Lun's elder brother You Tong was also serving Wang Jun as his Marshal, and was guarding Fanyang. You Tong secretly sent a messenger to Shi Le, offering to surrender to him. Shi Le beheaded the messenger and sent the head to Wang Jun. Although Wang Jun did not punish You Tong, he trusted Shi Le all the more, seeing him as loyal and true to him. He no longer doubted Shi Le.

〈游綸保據苑鄕,僞降於勒,勒已襲禽之。〉

(You Lun had occupied and been guarding Yuanxiang. He falsely surrendered to Shi Le, but Shi Le had already attacked and captured him.)

是歲,左丞相睿遣世子紹鎭廣陵,以丞相掾蔡謨爲參軍。謨,克之子也。

42. During this year, Sima Rui sent his eldest son by his wife, Sima Shao, to guard Guangling. He also appointed his Official to the Prime Minister, Cai Mo, as an Army Advisor. This Cai Mo was the son of Cai Ke.

漢中山王曜圍河南尹魏浚於石梁,兗州刺史劉演、河內太守郭默遣兵救之,曜分兵逆戰於河北,敗之;浚夜走,獲而殺之。

43. Liu Yao besieged Jin's Intendant of Henan, Wei Jun, at the Shiliang fortress. Jin's Inspector of Yanzhou, Liu Yan, and the Administrator of Henei, Guo Mo, sent troops to reinforce Wei Jun. Liu Yao split up his soldiers to counter-attack these two thrusts at Hebei, and he defeated them. Wei Jun fled during the night, but he was captured and killed.

〈石梁塢,在洛水北。〉〈河北,大河之北,卽富平津之北也。〉

(The Shiliang fortress was north of the Luo River.

Hebei was north of the Yellow River, north of the Fuping Crossing.)

代公猗盧城盛樂以爲北都,治故平城爲南都;又作新平城於灅水之陽,使右賢王六脩鎭之,統領南部。

44. Tuoba Yilu selected the city of Shengle to be the northern capital of his domain, while he administered from Pingcheng as the southern capital. He also built the city of Xinping on the north bank of the Lei River, and sent Tuoba Liuxiu to guard it, placing him in acting command of the southern part of his domain.

〈盛樂縣,前漢屬定襄郡,後漢屬雲中郡。平城,漢屬鴈門郡。《括地志》曰:朔州定襄縣,本漢平城縣。拓拔魏之盛也,置朔州於盛樂,置恆州於平城;平城,謂之代都。自高祖遷洛,其後破六韓拔陵作亂,故都爲墟,恆州寄治肆州秀容郡城,雲州寄治幷州界。魏收《地形志》,自陘嶺以北,所記略矣。隋之盛也,北逐突厥,復漢故塞,省併後魏所置郡縣,盛樂蓋在定襄郡大利縣界,平城在馬邑郡雲內縣界。唐破突厥,北盡魏、隋之略:朔州善陽縣,則漢定襄、魏桑乾之地;單于都護府金河縣,則後魏道武所都也;雲州雲中縣,則後魏所都平城也。然自單于都護府東北至朔州三百五十七里,則盛樂距平城,其道里可知矣。杜佑曰:雲中,今馬邑郡北;平城,卽今郡,隋雲內縣恆安鎭。《魏書‧帝紀》:猗盧脩故平城以爲南都,更南百里,於灅水之陽黃瓜堆築新平城,晉人謂之小平城。杜佑又曰:朔州馬邑郡,魏都平城,於郡北置懷朔鎭;及遷洛後,置朔州。後魏初,雲中在今郡北三百餘里定襄故城北;北齊置朔州,在故都西南新城,一名平城也;後移於馬邑,卽今郡城也。郡治善陽縣,亦漢定襄縣地,有秦馬邑城、武周塞,紫河發源於此。宋白曰:唐振武軍,舊單于都護府,卽漢定襄郡之盛樂縣也,在陰山之陽,黃河之北,後魏所都盛樂是也。唐平突厥,於此置雲中都督府,後改單于府。班固《地理志》:右北平俊靡縣,灅水南至無終,東入庚。酈道元《水經註》:庚水與鮑丘水合,俊靡在東,與平城相去甚遠,新平城不在此灅水之陽也。據《魏書》,道武帝西如馬邑,觀灅源;則灅水蓋出於馬邑,而東北流逕平城之南也。酈道元,魏人也,其註《水經》,敍代都之事宜詳,初不言平城有灅水,但言濕水逕平城南耳。《註》曰:濕水,出鴈門陰館縣濕頭山,一曰治水,東北流,出山,逕陰館縣故城西,故樓煩鄕也。又有馬邑川水,會桑乾水而注于濕水。濕水東流過平城南,又東流逕廣甯下洛縣南,東至漁陽,入笥溝。又考班固《地理志》,鴈門陰館縣樓煩鄕累頭山,治水所出,東至泉州入海。師古曰:治,音弋之翻。竊謂水出累頭山,疑當時亦有累水之名。師古音從平聲,音相近也。意道元所謂濕水,卽灅水也。又考丁度《集韻》,「漯」「灅」「㶟」三字,同註云「水出鴈門」,則亦有見於此矣。灅,《類篇》音魯水翻。〉

(During Former Han, Shengle County was part of Dingxiang commandary. During Later Han, it was part of Yunzhong commandary. Pingcheng was part of Han's Yanmen commandary. The Comprehensive Gazetteer states, "Dingxiang County in Shuozhou was originally Han's Pingcheng County. When Northern Wei flourished, they created Shuozhou at Shengle, and created Dengzhou at Pingcheng. So Pingcheng was also called Daidu ('capital of Dai'). After Gaozu (Emperor Xiaowen of Northern Wei) moved the Northern Wei capital to Luoyang, the rebel Poliuhan Baling later caused trouble in this region, and so this former capital became a ruin. Dengzhou then had to be administered from the capital city of Sizhou's Xiurong commandary, and Yunzhou had to be administered as part of Bingzhou." In Wei Shou's Geographical Records, everything north of the mountain passes is given a mere summary account. After Sui began to flourish, they drove out the Rouran to the north and restored the former border from Han times, abolishing or merging the commandaries and counties that had been set up during Northern Wei. Shengle was thus folded into Dali County in Dingxiang commandary, and Pingcheng was folded into Yunnei County in Mayi commandary. After Tang routed the Rouran, they did away with all of Northern Wei's and Sui's northern territory changes. So Eyang County in Shuozhou was Han's Dingxiang and Northern Wei's Sanggan territory; Jinhe County in the Chanyu Commandary Post was Emperor Daowu of Northern Wei's former capital; and Yunzhong County in Yunzhou was Northern Wei's capital at Pingcheng. Naturally, since it was three hundred and fifty-seven li from the Chanyu Command Post north to Shuozhou, the distance between Shengle and Pingcheng may be reckoned accordingly. Du You remarked, "Yunzhong was in the north of modern Mayi commandary; Pingcheng, in that modern commandary, was the Deng'an Garrison in Sui's Yunnei County." The Imperial Annals in the Book of Northern Wei states, "Tuoba Yilu established the city of Pingcheng as the southern capital, and a further hundred li to the south, on the northern bank of the Lie River at the Huanggua Mound, he built the city of Xinping, which the people of Jin called the city of Xiaoping." Du You further remarked, "Mayi commandary in Shuozhou was Northern Wei's capital city of Pingcheng, and in the north of the commdanry they created the Huaishuo Garrison. After Northern Wei moved their capital to Luoyang, they created this region as Shuozhou. At the beginning of Northern Wei, Yunzhong was more than three hundred li north of the capital city of Dingxiang in the modern commandary. When Northern Qi created Shuozhou, they built a new city southwest of the old capital, and once again named it Pingcheng. Later, they moved it to Mayi, and so that is the city in modern commandary which bears that name. The commandary was administered from Eyang County, which was also Han's former Dingxiang County. It contained Qin's city of Mayi and the Wuzhou Pass, and the Zi River also had its origin there." Song Bai remarked, "Tang's Zhenwu Garrison was at the old Chanyu Command Post, which was Han's Shengle County in Dingxiang commandary. It was south of Mount Yi and north of the Huang River, at the place where Northern Wei had their capital of Shengle. After Tang pacified the Rouran, they created the Yunzhong Command Post there, and later changed it to the Chanyu Command Post."

Ban Gu's Geographical Records states, "In Junmi County in Zuobeiping commandary, the Lei River flows south to Wuzhong, and then east until it enters the Geng River." Li Daoyuan's Commentary on the Water Classic states, "The Geng River and the Baoqiu River flow together. East of Junmi, at Pingcheng, they both split very far apart." So the city of Xinping was not on the north bank of this Lei River. According to the Book of Northern Wei, Emperor Daowu went west to Mayi to view the Head of the Lei. So the Lei River must have had its source in Mayi, and then flowed northeast to pass south of Pingcheng. Li Daoyuan was a man of Northern Wei, and he wrote a commentary for the Water Classic; although he wrote extensively on the affairs of the Dai capitals, at first he did not say that there was a Lei River at Pingcheng, but only said that the Shi River flowed south of Pingcheng. The Commentary states, "The Shi River has its origin at Mount Shitou in Yinguan County in Yanmen commandary; it is also called the Zhi River. It flows northeast, out of the mountain, and passing west of the capital city of Yinguan County, which is thus called Loufan District. There is also the Chuan River in Mayi, which joins with the Sanggan River and flows into the Shi River. The Shi River then flows east, passing south of Pingcheng, and further east, passing south of Xialuo County in Guangning, and then still further east until it reaches Yuyang, where it enters the Si Canal." Furthermore, according to Ban Gu's Geographical Records, Mount Leitou was in Loufan District in Yinguan County in Yanmen commandary; this was the origin of the Zhi River, which flowed east until Quanzhou where it entered the sea. Yan Shigu remarked that the name of this other name for the Shi River, 治, was pronounced "Yi" (rather than Zhi). I, Hu Sanxing, propose that the river that flowed out of this Mount Leitou probably also had the name Lei River at this time. And according to how Yan Shigu says it should be pronounced, the sound is relatively similar. So when Li Daoyuan describes the Shi River in his Commentary, he must mean the Lei River. What's more, according to Ding Du's Collected Sounds, the characters 漯 Luo, 灅 Lei, and 㶟 Lei are all described as "a river that flows out of Yanmen". This must be another case of that. Lastly, according to the Leipian dictionary, 灅 is pronounced "lei (l-ui)".)
Last edited by Taishi Ci 2.0 on Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Taishi Ci 2.0

Re: ZZTJ Translations: Western Jin (Book 79-88)

Unread postby Jia Nanfeng » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:46 pm

Ooooh, another chunk of the translation just in time for my day off from work. I was going to catch up on some chores but this is more exciting. :P

We're nearing the end!
Jia Nanfeng
Apprentice

Unread postby DaoLunOfShiji » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:48 am

The amount of work you've put into this is stellar. Bravo, man. Bravo.
"Since our eternal parting will come in a few days, I write this in a passion, to reveal my heart and to bid farewell to you, my prince."
DaoLunOfShiji
Apprentice

Unread postby Taishi Ci 2.0 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:52 pm

Thank you to everyone for your support.

I've created a Patreon page regarding my work; any donations would be greatly appreciated.
Taishi Ci 2.0

Previous

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium Archives