A Guide to English Language Sources on the Three Kingdoms

Best threads of the SGYYS, for your viewing pleasure.

Re: A Guide to English Language Sources on the Three Kingdom

Unread postby patrickrafferty9 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:30 pm

I've looked at China a history before and I know this topic is just about three kingdoms publications but it has nothing about King Goujian's perseverance or anything about Wu Zixu which I find really odd considering he still plays a big part in southern China today with the dragon boat festival.
patrickrafferty9
Apprentice

Unread postby Ender » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:28 pm

Thank you two for assembling this. As it's something that I've always loved, I've been looking to early Chinese history for a bit of inspiration in what I'm writing, and this certainly helps. While I haven't been involved nearly as much over the years as I was, I've still managed to keep up a bit and snag a copy of things like Fang's translation of the ZZTJ and Empresses and Consorts. This puts everything at one's fingertips and most of it I simply didn't know about. Extremely helpful!
"Tell me not in mournful numbers,
Life is but an empty dream!
For the soul is dead that slumbers,
And things are not what they seem."
-- Longfellow
Ender
Wandering Darkness

Unread postby James » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:31 pm

Excellent work, Sun Fin! Thank you so much for putting this together.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Sun Fin » Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:50 pm

Thanks Ender and James. Its not a problem though, I was doing it for my own benefit and thought I'd share it with others, as it turns out I'm benefiting from all the amazing resources others are recommending me that I'd never heard of before!

Please note I've now edited in Jordan's suggested source about Nanzhong (under Shu history), a review of Rafe's Tome (kindly written by Dong Zhou) and lastly I've added three sources that waw recommended in the questions thread.
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:12 am

The member plunged who runs Gonjin's Campaign Memorials (the 3k wiki) has just sent me a list of all of his sources. You can access it here.

There are a tremendous amount of books there not yet listed in this thread. It is going to take me quite a lot of time to format them and I'm going to busy for the next few days (I'm leaving my university after 4 years on Friday) so I thought it best in the meantime to post them here so the curious (Jordan?) could cast an eye over them!
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jordan » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:48 am

While I haven't heard of many of these books or articles, the authors are familiar to me. Some of them I've read and forgot to mention, like G. haloun's the Liangzhou rebellion. That particular article should actually be on the forums somewhere. I think Dong Zhou posted it before. It's short but well-worth a read. It discusses figures such as Beigong Boyu, Song Jian, Han Sui and Ma Teng, how they rebelled in Liangzhou Province and how the Han dynasty reacted to their rebellions.

I'm genuinely impressed by how much research plunged has done. I feel like I have a lot of reading I should do myself.
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:57 pm

So after a long break from this I'm planning on picking this back up sometime this week. I've read couple more books on this to write reviews for and I still need to add the books that I got from plunged!
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby WeiWenDi » Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:27 am

Wow - thanks for putting this together, Sun Fin! I'm familiar with a couple of these, but I didn't know that the relevant chapters of Sima Guang's ZZTJ had been translated into English, for example! I'll definitely have to check some of these resources out.

(I won't get into my opinion of Sima Guang here, though. Suffice it to say I'm not a fan.)
Some more blood, Chekov. The needle won't hurt, Chekov. Take off your shirt, Chekov. Roll over, Chekov. Breathe deeply, Chekov. Blood sample, Chekov! Marrow sample, Chekov! Skin sample, Chekov! If I live long enough... I'm going to run out of samples.
WeiWenDi
Hedgehog Emperor

Unread postby Sun Fin » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:49 am

I've been researching a few more books and I came across this one by Michael Loewe. It is called 'Early Chinese Texts: A Bibliographic Guide' and I was wondering if anyone has encounter it before and knows whether it covers things like SGZ and ZZTJ?
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby WeiWenDi » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:44 am

Moved post to a new thread.
Last edited by WeiWenDi on Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Some more blood, Chekov. The needle won't hurt, Chekov. Take off your shirt, Chekov. Roll over, Chekov. Breathe deeply, Chekov. Blood sample, Chekov! Marrow sample, Chekov! Skin sample, Chekov! If I live long enough... I'm going to run out of samples.
WeiWenDi
Hedgehog Emperor

PreviousNext

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium Archives