A Guide to English Language Sources on the Three Kingdoms

Best threads of the SGYYS, for your viewing pleasure.

Re: A Guide to English Language Sources on the Three Kingdom

Unread postby Sun Fin » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:04 pm

:lol:

It seems you are determined to give me a stack of work to edit in to my original post!

But thanks, you are uncovering so much information, I also had no idea that so many English sources when I started to compile them!
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby waywardauthor » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:49 pm

Sun Fin wrote::lol:

It seems you are determined to give me a stack of work to edit in to my original post!

But thanks, you are uncovering so much information, I also had no idea that so many English sources when I started to compile them!

Sorry to do that to you Fin, but once I started I just couldn't stop! :mrgreen:

There shouldn't be too much more out there in the world, and a lot of it skews towards the end of the period and the early Jin period in general terms. Philosophy and poetry take far greater emphasis in the journals than war and individual characters. Wei seems to occupy the prized spot, Rafe dominates the Wu material, and there are only a handful of articles on Shu - and none on Liu Bei.
Alone I lean under the wispy shade of an aged tree,
Scornfully I raise to parted lips a cup of warm wine,
Longingly I cast an empty vessel aside those exposed roots,
And leave behind forgotten memories and forsaken dreams.
waywardauthor
Sage

Unread postby waywardauthor » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:16 pm

Dynamics of Disintegration: The Later Han Empire (25-220CE) & Its Northwestern Frontier
WAI KIT WICKY TSE University of Pennsylvania, wtse0709@gmail.com
[PhD Dissertation Piece]

It does not really focus on our period, but it adds a bit of layered context. Furthermore, he's working with resources in China directly through their experts, so there is a different perspective to the material. Rafe gets mentioned 27 times in the text, and it looks thoroughly researched. Not sure how authoritative I would call it, I will need to finish reading it first, but I would give it a look if you want more direct context for the Three Kingdoms, even if he stops shy of bringing us there.
waywardauthor
Sage

Unread postby Jordan » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:07 am

Does anybody have access to Killigrew's article on the conquest of Wu? I can access his articles on Zhuge Liang's Northern Campaigns and Wei's conquest of Shu-Han but my school database doesn't have the Wu article anywhere.
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby waywardauthor » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:55 am

Jordan wrote:Does anybody have access to Killigrew's article on the conquest of Wu? I can access his articles on Zhuge Liang's Northern Campaigns and Wei's conquest of Shu-Han but my school database doesn't have the Wu article anywhere.

I wish I could help on this point, but I don't have access to most of Killigrew's stuff. In fact, I just have one + his reviews of some articles.

Wei-Jin Sacrificial Ballets: Reform versus Conservation by Kevin A. Jensen is a thesis on the music and context of music that starts in our era, and moves out to just beyond the Jin.
waywardauthor
Sage

Unread postby Civic » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:17 pm

Thank you Sun Fin, I've been wanting to find a collection of books covering Later Han/Three Kingdoms era, but the information tends to be scarce. :D
Civic
Tyro

Unread postby waywardauthor » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:33 am

In my quest to learn more on Tao Qian, I have uncovered some additional sources of information.

Two years ago there was an article published in Monumenta Serica that deals with how Cao Cao's historical evaluation changed during the Song Dynasty by Anne McLaron. I do not have access to it, but it may be a good read if you have access to the journal.

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1 ... 2.60.1.003

Shi Xianglin published a dissertation piece at the University of Washington that focused on the last three decades of the Later Han Period with respect to Jian'An poetry. It is free to read, and is just about book length.

https://digital.lib.washington.edu/rese ... 1773/23343

Hyung-Jong Lee published a much shorter piece in support of his dissertation at the University of Washington in Saint Louis. This one is on the role of Sun Quan and his role in historiography from Sanguozhi to Sanguoyanyi. Also free for reading.

http://openscholarship.wustl.edu/cgi/vi ... ontext=etd

Last, but not least, there is an attempt to showcase the Three Kingdoms from the perspective of Shu and Wu published in the December 2016 edition of the American Oriental Society. I do not know how good it is, as I do not have access to it.

http://www.jstor.org/stable/10.7817/jam ... b_contents
waywardauthor
Sage

Previous

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium Archives