Chinese Wiki Translations of People of Jin

Best threads of the SGYYS, for your viewing pleasure.

Chinese Wiki Translations of People of Jin

Unread postby Tarrot » Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:03 pm

I was doing some research on Jia Chong and came across Ren Kai and Yu Chun as people he slandered out of office. Finding nothing in English sources, I searched his name and found his Chinese wikipedia. If anyone whose Chinese is really good can help me double-check my translation of the wiki, please do so since there are some areas I'm fairly certain I got wrong. Anyways, a translation of his wiki, located at http://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E4%BB%BB%E6%81%BA

Ren Kai (223-284), zi Yuanbao, from Lean county (modern day Shandong province's Boxing county), son of Wei Minister of Ceremonies Ren Hao. Served in both the Wei and Jin dynasties. Said to be careful and hardworking with official business, and was praised by many people, however his career was hindered by Jia Chong.

Emperor Wu's Inner Circle

Ren Kai held jobs as Zhongshu assistant officer, and served the Sanqichang. In 263, Sima Zhao was made the Duke of Jin, and established the state of Jin. The Shizhong Ren Kai was made a marquis of Changguo county. He was skilled with previous works, always understanding things the first time he came across them, and was loyal and honest to the state as well as his position. He was intimate with Sima Yan, who would consult with him daily on political matters. During the Western Jin era, Zheng Chong, Wang Xiang, He Ceng, Xun Yi, and Pei Xiu were all old and wished to retire. Sima Yan was partial to them, and would not let them come before the court. He assigned Ren Kai to go to their houses to consult with them on important ideas and suggestions.

Arousing Jia Chong's hatred

Ren Kai hated how Jia Chong behaved, and couldn't bear his high rank, many times restricting Jia Chong. Although Jia Chong was very resentful, he came up with an unprecedented pla. Jia Chong praised Ren Kai, and recommended him to help the crown prince, with the intent of reducing Ren Kai's power. However, Sima Yan not only appointed Ren Kai the Crown Prince's tutor, but also had him continue to serve him, making Jia Chong unsuccessful. In 271, Qinzhou and Yongzhou were being harassed by Tufa Shujineng. Ren Kai took the opportunity to propose a prestigious officer to pacify the borderlands, and recommended Jia Chong. The zhongshuling Yu Chun also supported this, and Sima Yan ordered Jia Chong to take over the military affairs of Chang An. Xun Xu came up with a plan to let Jia Chong remain in Luoyang.

At that time, the court divided into two factions under Ren Kai and Jia Chong. Sima Yan attempted to reconcile them, but the two men held a deep hatred, on the surface showing respect, but holding extreme resentments in their hearts. Someone proposed a plan to Jia Chong, to first have Ren Kai leave the Emperor's side; Jia Chong would then praise Ren Kai's ability, and recommend him to select choice works of scholarship. Sima Yan appointed Ren Kai Libu Shangshu (Minister of History), as well as offering him a General rank. Ren Kai was impartial with the works he selected, and did his work diligently, but had few opportunities to meet with the Emperor. Jia Chong at this time had Xun Yi and Feng Dan slander Ren Kai's extravagance, such as using the Imperial utensils, in addition to sending his Shangshuyoupushe (Left Supervisor of the Masters of Writing), and had the King of Gaowang Sima Gui present a memorial to Sima Yan. Sima Yan dismissed Ren Kai from office. A later investigation would discover that imperial utensils were really bestowed on Ren Kai's wife and kids by the Princess Qichang? (Cao Rui's daughter). However, since Ren Kai had been dismissed from office and slandered, grew apart from Sima Yan. Later after capturing Shan Tao, he's be appointed Henan magistrated, once again dismissed from office, and would later get appointed Supervisor of Attendants.

Ren Kai from these experiences continued to be hardworking and scrupulously abided by his duty, but Jia Chong and his clique said he and Li Jinling conspired with Liu You(?), shangshu Du You as well as the Commandant of Justice Liu Liang made an appeal for Ren Kai, but they were all dismissed from office. Having lost office again, he turned to drinking, spending 10,000 dollars on a meal. At this time, Ren Kai recieved Sima Yan's summons, and was greeted by Sima Yan, which made Ren Kai weep. He'd later be appointed as a Grand Servant, as well as a Minister of Ceremonies.

Losing the will to live

In 283, the Shangshuzuopushe (Right Supervisor of the Masters of writing, and Youguangludaifu (Right Glorious Grand Master), Wei Shu was appointed Situ, replacing Shan Tao. Ren Kai was ordered to instruct him. Wei Shu had formerly been recommended for a promotion by Ren Kai, and was now one of the Three Ministers (I think), while Ren Kai was only a minister, never achieving the rank of the Three Ministers, with everyone feeling he was not worthy. Ren Kai lost his ambition, grew depressed and died, having lived to 61, with the posthumous title of Yuan.
Last edited by Tarrot on Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:17 am, edited 3 times in total.
Tarrot
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Re: Ren Kai, Jin Minister.

Unread postby capnnerefir » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:00 am

Oooh, interesting. I always wondered who Ren Kai was and how he could cause trouble for someone like Jia Chong.
capnnerefir
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jordan » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:31 am

Thanks for the translation. I don't have much to add other than a couple observations.

The Xianbei chieftain who caused problems on Jin's borders at the time was named Tufa Shujineng. Members of the Tufa clan of the Xianbei would play an important role after the Jin dynasty, setting up one of the Sixteen Dynasties--Southern Liang. Tufa Shujineng's raids were quelled, however, by the famous Jin general Ma Long.

Also something seems off about this part:

In 263, Sima Zhao established the Jin Dynasty, and was made a marquis of Changguo county.
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Tarrot » Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:31 am

The exact Chinese from that line:

景元四年(263年),司馬昭封晉公,建晉國,愷任侍中,封昌國縣侯.

Which far as I can translate, "In the 4th year of Jing yuan, Sima Zhao bestowed as the Duke of Jin, established the Jin dynasty, Ren Kai serving within, was made Marquis of Chang Guo." I streamlined it due to being unsure of how to properly do the Duke of Jin line, but I'll go edit the minor things to the translation.
Tarrot
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jordan » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:57 am

"In the 4th year of Jing yuan, Sima Zhao bestowed as the Duke of Jin, established the Jin dynasty, Ren Kai serving within, was made Marquis of Chang Guo."

That makes a lot more sense, yeah.
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby TigerTally » Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:29 pm

Jin Dynasty was established in 266, the Jin in 263 is still some kind of fief under Wei.
TigerTally
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Tarrot » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:52 pm

Going to use this thread for future translations. People from Ren Kai's bio who I'm looking to do translations of:

Tufa Shujineng (not in the Encyclopedia)
Feng Dan
Xun Yi
Xun Xu
Shan Tao
Sima Gui
Wei Shu (did his ZZTJ comp over on the sim, but I'll add him in here as well if there's anything new)
Tarrot
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Tarrot » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:36 pm

Tufa Shujineng http://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E7%A6%BF% ... F%E8%83%BD

Tufa Shujineng (? - 280), A Xianbei from the Hexi region, was the leader of the Tufa Xianbei during the Western Jin era, was appointed leader after his grandfather Tufa Shoutian passed away. Upon taking control there was an increased frequency in raids against Jin, and along with other non-Han tribes fought against the Jin army. In the end, they were defeated by the Jin general Ma Long and killed.

Whole Life

Tufa Shujineng was a cunning schemer as well as a strong and courageous person. In 270, Tufa Shujineng raised an army against the Jin forces, and in June warred with and killed the Qinzhou provisional govenor Hu Lie at Wanhudui (around roughly the modern day Gansu Province's Gaolan county). In 271, he united with other non-Han tribes and besieged and killed the Liangzhou provisional governor Qian Hong at Mt. Qing (modern-day the western part of Gansu Province's Huan County). He also defeated the Liangzhou provisional governor Su Yu at Mt. Jin (the southern part of moder-day Gansu Province's Shandan county).

In 275, Tufa Shujineng was suppressed and defeated by Sima Jun, losing over 3000 men, and sent a son to the Jin Empire as hostage. In 277, because Tufa Shujineng intended to steal troops to rebel, the Jin general Wen Yang lead troops to suppress him. Tufa Shujineng surrendered, and in total 200,000 men surrendered. In the first month of 279, Tufa Shujineng attacked Liangzhou. In the 11th month, he fought with Ma Long, but met with misfortune and was defeated by Ma Long's Leaning Box Chariot (anyone know what this exactly is?), and the Wuwei prefecture of Liangzhou was recaptured. The Xianbei Chieftains Cunbahan and Qiewanneng lead over 10,000 men to surrender back to Jin. In the 12th month, Tufa Shujineng was defeated again by Ma Long and killed, and the other rebels were suppressed. His younger cousin Tufa Wuwan replaced him to become the new leader of the Xianbei.

Tufa Wuwan's great-great-grandson Tufa Wugu would become the monarch of Southern Liang during the 16 kingdoms era.

People of note to add: Tufa Shoutian, Hu Lie, Qian Hong, Sima Jun.
Last edited by Tarrot on Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tarrot
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jordan » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:48 pm

Tarrot, this is extremely appreciated. Tufa Shujineng should probably be added to the encyclopedia since Ma Long is in there. Hell, I'll go do it right now.

Cunbahanqiewangneng

I might be mistaken, but I believe that these are actually several different chieftains listed in order:

Zubahen and Qiewaneng, possibly?

On 3kingdoms Frontier, somebody had translated a Ma Long biography which noted the following:

Long then traveled west and crossed the River and Wen(13). The rebel Shujineng(14) lead an army of several tens of thousands and they often either stopped Long from advancing by stationing at grounds to their advantage or ambushed Long from behind. Long made cargos that contained wooden tents which are based the theory of Eight Gate Formations. If he reaches a wide area, he would set up a formation for camping. If he reached a narrow area, he would put the tents on top of the cargoes and advance as they fight. The arrows of Jin army caused great casualties amongst the rebels. Long¡¯s tactics often caught the enemy out of their guard. He would place magnets on the roads, hence stopping the rebels, who wore heavy armors, from advancing. Long¡¯s army equipped themselves with armor made from hippocrate [this is supposed to be rhinocerous; I have no idea what a "hippocrate" is supposed to be] hides and hence are not affected. The rebels instead thought they were gods. He traveled thousands of li and killed several thousand people.

as well as

When Long arrived at Wuwei, the rebels ZuBahen, QieWaneng surrendered with a little more than ten thousand people. Throughout his campaign, Long killed or surrendered roughly 10,000 men. He then commanded MuGuneng(19) and fought against Shu Jineng, whom he executed and hence pacifying Liangzhou. The court, upon receiving the news, discussed ways of awarding Long and his people. Some official suggested that Long received high awards for their previous accomplishments and should not be further awarded.

The biography describes Zubahen, Qiewaneng and Muguneng as chieftains of the Qiang in the notes, but states that there is little information known about them.
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Tarrot » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:19 pm

The only thing I know is that there's no splitting of the names, as they lead all to one link. 且萬能 is Qiewanneng, who is one of the people you referenced. 猝跋韓 is Cubahan. Looking online, I don't see any alternate transliterations, so I'm thinking the other person you referenced was mistaken. I even double-checked my 8000 character dictionary, and there's no reference to alternate pronunciations. I'll edit the wiki translation since they probably are the chieftains. LW might know a little more on the archaic pronunciations.
Tarrot
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium Archives