Fun facts about lesser known heroes (Inspired by Chris)

Best threads of the SGYYS, for your viewing pleasure.

Fun facts about lesser known heroes (Inspired by Chris)

Unread postby Dennis » Mon Oct 21, 2002 4:25 pm

I'll keep Great Deer's thread to it's theme of unshakeable loyalty, and make my own little fun facts thread here, I greatly encourage others to post cited work, because I myself do not have access to quite so much information.

Fei Yi/Wei Another Shu good men, hahah punny..

Fei Wei (?-253 A.D.) was a native of Jiang Xia (West of Lou Shan in Henan), and a general of Shu during the Three Kingdoms. When Zhuge Liang (Zhuge Kong Ming) returned from his expedition to the south, Fei Wei was in the same chariot with him. Everyone was surprised and wanted to know why Fei deserved such honor. Zhuge allowed Fei to travel with him, because he respected Fei'd talent and ability. Before Zhuge died in 233 A.D., he proposed that Fei should replace him as the prime minister. Within two years, Fei indeed became the prime minister of Shu. In 243 A.D., he resigned his position and became a general. Interestingly, what Zhuge liked about Fei, was his ability as a general. In 244 A.D., general Cao Shuang of the Wei kingdom led a hundred thousand army to attack the north-east Shu kingdom from Lejiu. Emperor Liu Chan (son of Liu Bei) heard the news and was dead worried. Fei Wei asked Emperor Liu Chan to relax, because he had a good defensive plan. The next day, Liu Chan sent Lai Ming to learn about his plan. When Fei saw Lai, he said, 'Officer Lai. You come at the right time. Let's play a game of Weiqi.' Lai Ming thought he was kidding, but Fei asked his guard to set up the game for them. When they were playing, messangers came one after another to report on the war. Lai was ready to adjourn the game when Fei said, 'The development of the war is like this game. Shenling, Wuling and Fengshuiling are on the outside of Shaanxi. If we can occupy these three mountains, we can surround our invaders.' When Lai Ming looked at the Weiqi board, he discovered that his black stones have been surrounded by White and realized that Fei Wei was using the Weiqi game to direct his army. After the game, Fei said goodbye to Lai, put on his armor and proceeded to join the attack. Cao Shuang's army was tired due to the long journey and shortage of supply. They were surrounded by the Shu army and were badly defeated.

--------------------------

Cao Zhang of Wei:

Cao Cao had twenty five sons. Cao Pi, Cao Zhang and Cao Zhi were born of the same mother, Bian Hou the Queen. Almost every Chinese know the story about Cao Pi trying to kill Cao Zhi by forcing him to make a poem in (the time it took to make) seven strides.

However, not too many people know the story about Cao Pi killing Cao Zhang during a Weiqi game. Cao Zhang was a great rider and archer. He had great strength and like his father, was an exceptional Weiqi player. He was very hairy, with a faceful of yellow beard Cao Zhang accompanied his father in conquering north and south and was awarded the title of Duke Yan Ling in 216 A.D., by Cao Cao. . Cao Cao once held on to Zhang's beard and said, 'My son of yellow beard is simply amasing!' When Cao Pi became king in 220 A.D., Cao Zhang was awarded the Duke of Jin.

In the fourth year of Cao Pi's reign (223 A.D.), Cao Pi summoned his brother to the palace. During a casual conversation, Cao Zhang asked his brother if he could see his royal stamp (a symbol of kingship). This got Cao Pi suspicious that his brother was after his throne and decided to kill him. Cao Pi knew that Zhang was his mother Bian Hou's favorite son, therefore he must not make it too obvious. After a few weeks, Pi invited Zhang to a weiqi game during their mother's birthday. The game was very close in the middle game when Pi's servants brought out the poisonous prunes. Pi would pick the unmarked ones that were safe to eat and leave the rest to his brother. When Zhang found out that he was poisoned, he screamed for help. Bian Hou rushed to the scene in bare feet and tried to get water to flush out the poison in Zhang's body. Pi hid all the containers ahead of time and Bian Hou failed to fetch the water, and Zhang dies. In Wei's Chun Qiu, a distorted story was painted by Pi as follows. 'Cao Zhang wanted to see the Emperor's stamp. The Emperor knew about Zhang's ambition and refused to see him. Zhang died of great anger.'

Copyright Yutopian Enterprises 1999.
Dennis
Mutha Canucka

Unread postby Han Xin » Mon Oct 21, 2002 4:34 pm

I am waiting for the story about Zhao Yun the Hemophiliac. :lol:
Han Xin's past-time - 沉湎於酒, 淫於聲色, 左手擁華姬,右手抱越女:lol:
Han Xin
Shu Emperor

Unread postby Qiang_Lord » Tue Oct 22, 2002 3:09 pm

I wouldn't exactly call Zhao Yun lesser known.

How about some of the prominent generals that just disappeared after joining other forces?
"Seek truth from facts."
Qiang_Lord
Initiate

Unread postby Cao Ren » Tue Oct 22, 2002 6:22 pm

hmm thats pretty interesting those are true right?
Cao Ren
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Stefanos » Wed Oct 23, 2002 1:45 am

Is Weiqi like the game called "Go"?
I told you I get paid for every letter.. like abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
Stefanos
我的甜孩子

Unread postby Lady Wu » Wed Oct 23, 2002 2:15 am

Zhou Yu wrote:Is Weiqi like the game called "Go"?

Yes.
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby Hotsuma Moritsune » Sun Oct 27, 2002 2:42 pm

Well Zhao Yun didn't get much recognition, he was a great warrior and bodyguard but didn't get to do much. Not like Dian Wei or Xu Zhu, on the otherhand this is because Jon told me he didn't get to do much in history. That doesn't stop him from being badass 8-)
Hotsuma Moritsune
Changshi

Unread postby Starscream » Sun Oct 27, 2002 6:43 pm

Zhao Yun...oh well, the most extraordinary thing he did was to keep Lady Sun's servants and minions in check. That was a task that either nobody wanted to do or nobody could do anything about. Liu Bei himself was nervous about his wife (and her servants). :lol:
”太慢了。“
Starscream
Decepticon Air Commander

Unread postby Danktrees » Mon Oct 28, 2002 1:38 am

err you took that out of context, liu bei was afraid of them because they carried weapons, not because he was afraid they would run away.
Danktrees
Apprentice

Unread postby Starscream » Mon Oct 28, 2002 4:05 am

Danktrees wrote:err you took that out of context, liu bei was afraid of them because they carried weapons, not because he was afraid they would run away.

Weapons? Liu Bei was the lord, I'm sure he had the power to command them to get rid of those arms, but why did he not do so? Was there something else to this? Those armed guards inevitably caused a strain in the relations between Liu Bei and Lady Sun, but this is getting off topic...heh. :wink:
”太慢了。“
Starscream
Decepticon Air Commander

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium Archives