Fun facts about lesser known heroes (Inspired by Chris)

Best threads of the SGYYS, for your viewing pleasure.

Re: Fun facts about lesser known heroes (Inspired by Chris)

Unread postby Striga » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:46 pm

Old man he may be, but he was quite a fool, and Zhuge Liang was old too by then.
"Immense power is fun! You should try it sometime." -Syndra (favourite quote XD)
Striga
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:52 pm

Real life: Cao Zhen dies of shame and illness

Real life, Cao Zhen dies in normal circumstances after a successful career.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Striga » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:13 pm

Was he actually successful, with the novel portraying him as a horrible general?
"Immense power is fun! You should try it sometime." -Syndra (favourite quote XD)
Striga
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shen Ai » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:25 pm

No he was quite capable. He defeated or at least repelled Zhuge Liang more than once. The novel just made him an idiot to make Sima Yi and Zhuge Liang smarter. Shame didn't kill him, but maybe he got ill, just like Cao Xiu did.
I've a brave warrior in my army. Shen Ai is his name, and he can slay this Hua Xiong.

Wei has no more famous commanders, Shen Ai takes lead of the vanguard!

Even a commoner on the street knows what Shen Ai is thinking!
Shen Ai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Striga » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:07 pm

What about a really bad temper, or Sima Yi killing him so that he will have no one else vying for the position of General, and thereby allowing himself the fame of outlasting Zhuge Liang.
Striga
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shen Ai » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:38 pm

He died in unknown circumstances, but Sima Yi wasn't that ambitious in real life. He did whatever task that people gave him. The novel and the DW games made him seem evil. Sima Yi became somewhat ambitious when he killed Cao Shuang, but apart from that, there was really nothing.
I've a brave warrior in my army. Shen Ai is his name, and he can slay this Hua Xiong.

Shen Ai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Striga » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:19 am

Actually, I think he probably killed Cao Shuang since he was getting in the way too much and making the defence against Shu a bit harder than it should have been.
Striga
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:29 am

Striga wrote:What about a really bad temper, or Sima Yi killing him so that he will have no one else vying for the position of General, and thereby allowing himself the fame of outlasting Zhuge Liang.

Shu was the second front, if Sima Yi wanted fame for military exploits he would have had to have murdered Man Chong, Wang Ling and the other commanders on the Wu front.

Striga wrote:Actually, I think he probably killed Cao Shuang since he was getting in the way too much and making the defence against Shu a bit harder than it should have been.

Shu had been at peace for years under the leadership of Jiang Wan and then Fei Yi so Wei wouldn't have been too worried about that. What motived Sima Yi's controversial coup is up for debate, ambition (and then how far did that ambition go?), an act of loyalty, personal rivalry/revenge or even idealogical reasons.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Shen Ai » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:53 pm

Personally, I like to believe it was out of loyalty. He served Wei well. Cao Pi wasted his talents by making him a Xun Yu type defender rather than a general of the front, but he never complained. Under Cao Rui he didn't really show too much ambition other than to fight as well as he could. I think it was Shuang's incompetence that got to him.

Shen Ai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Striga » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:52 pm

Or maybe Cao Rui's. He was kinda the opposite of his father. Cao Pi distrusted his family, but Cao Rui tried to put his family into the high positions, such as continually replacing Sima Yi with Cao Zhen before Cao Zhen died.
Striga
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium Archives