Fun facts about lesser known heroes (Inspired by Chris)

Best threads of the SGYYS, for your viewing pleasure.

Re: Fun facts about lesser known heroes (Inspired by Chris)

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:42 pm

Striga wrote:Who were the other two regents, and how did they fall out of favour?

The original 5 were Xiahou Xian, Cao Shuang, Cao Zhao, Rui's possible lover Qin Lang and Cao Yu. Some of Cao Rui's advisers did not get on with two of them so argued for Cao Shuang and Sima Yi instead while Cao Yu rejected the offer.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Shen Ai » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:27 pm

Where Qin Lang and Cao Zhao known for anything, like as being capable? Maybe they could have stopped Cao Shuang from running Wei into the ground.
I've a brave warrior in my army. Shen Ai is his name, and he can slay this Hua Xiong.

Wei has no more famous commanders, Shen Ai takes lead of the vanguard!

Even a commoner on the street knows what Shen Ai is thinking!
Shen Ai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Striga » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:52 pm

Qin Lang was Sima Yi's vanguard as I remember.
"Immense power is fun! You should try it sometime." -Syndra (favourite quote XD)
Striga
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shen Ai » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:02 pm

He fought at Wuzhang and died there. Hmmm... Maybe he would be a rather reckless regent after all...
I've a brave warrior in my army. Shen Ai is his name, and he can slay this Hua Xiong.

Shen Ai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Striga » Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:19 am

He was killed in a trap set up by Zhuge Liang according to his SGZ. That doesn't mean much. Guan Yu was killed by Lü Meng as he fled, Dian Wei was killed by archers. Each person dies at their own time. His death was no worse than anyone elses.
"Immense power is fun! You should try it sometime." -Syndra (favourite quote XD)
Striga
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:52 am

If he was dead, he would hardly be considered for the regency.

Shen Ai wrote:Where Qin Lang and Cao Zhao known for anything, like as being capable? Maybe they could have stopped Cao Shuang from running Wei into the ground.

Lang was mostly known for being close to Rui and possibly being Rui's lover, no idea about Cao Zhao.

I would also dispute the last sentence.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Striga » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:01 pm

What do you mean by Rui's lover? They were both men, and Rui had his own wives, and Qin Lang was probably married as well. :?
Striga
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:58 pm

The texts suggest, depending quite how you read it, that Lang and Rui were lovers. China had a gay Emperor before then I believe so it wasn't unheard of for a gay (or in this case, bisexual) ruler and some say Cao Cao also had a male lover (less convinced on that one) in Kong Gui. As for the whole marriage thing, that has never proved a 100% way of stopping affairs so that doesn't rule anything out.

Also Rui was romantically linked with Cao Zhao but no idea how true that one is.
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Shen Ai » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:00 pm

Homosexual royals is not uncommon. Though, given Rui's sexual desires and hunger, I find it slightly unlikely.

Cao Shuang didn't run Wei into the ground?
Well, he must have done something because the court was corrupt and the army was in chaos after he attacked Shu.

Shen Ai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:32 pm

Was the court corrupt though or was that a Jin claim to justify a drastic, Emperor endangering coup though? The court was filled with highly talented men with idea's that even Sima Yi admitted were good but vetoed on petty grounds so it seems a bit odd that these talented men suddenly brought nearly brought Wei down. The problem was, as well as He Yan's "effeminate" ways and drug habit which did damage the image of Shuang's regime, that Cao Shuang's core were seen as non Confucian and were loosening the gentry's grip with said reforms. Have a guess what Sima Yi's major backers were? Hint: Confucian and gentry :wink:

Now his disastrous invasion was a bad move indeed.
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

PreviousNext

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium Archives