The Chronicle of the Three Kingdoms

Best threads of the SGYYS, for your viewing pleasure.

The Chronicle of the Three Kingdoms

Unread postby Gabriel » Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:50 pm

Here for your viewing pleasure, I present The Chonicle of the Three Kingdoms by Achilles Fang. I heard it was rare, so I decided to enlighten you all by writing it out for you. You all should be happy, and offer me many thanks :D. Unfortunetly though, the book is only from AD 220 - AD 245, but there's still alot of information there.

There are a few things(like ranks and names) that I haven't quite gotten yet, so any help would be appreciated.

Dong Zhou edit: Completed version, thanks to Jordon, here
Last edited by Gabriel on Tue May 23, 2006 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You don't need to go to church to be saved, and you don't need to go to rehab to get off drugs. You just need to make the right decisions.
Gabriel
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Gabriel » Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:56 pm

Chapter 69

First Year of Huang Chu (220 A.D.)

1. Spring, first month (Feb. 22 - Mar. 21). King Wu (i.e. Cao Cao) arrived in Luo Yang, where he died on the day Mar. 15.

2. The late King new men well, and was a good judge of them. It was difficult to dazzle him by false display. He recognized men of talent and promoted them, irrespective of humble origin; employing them according to their abilities, in each case he made the best use of them. In the face of enemy ranks he remained clam and unperturbed, as if he had no thought of battle; but seizing his oppurtunity, he would strike for victory in exuberant spirits. In acknowledging and rewarding service he was not one to begrudge a thousand gold pieces, but to those without merit who sought to profit from his largesse he would not give a single cash. In enforcement of laws he was strict and unrelenting, always putting the transgressors to death; sometimes he shed tears as he looked at them, but he would never grant a pardon. By nature he was temperate and frugal, not giving to pomp and adornment. For all these reasons he was able to bring low the numerous powerful men of his time, and to conquer well-nigh the whole empire.

3. At this time the Crown Prince of Wei (Cao Pi) was at Ye. The army was in a state of unrest, and Cao Cao's officials wanted to keep his death a secret and not hold funeral rites. However, the Admonisher Jia Kui considered that the secrecy in the matter was out of the question, so mourning was begun.

4. Some one said that the chief administrators of cities should all be dismissed and replaced entirely by the natives of Jiao and P'ei. The Prefect of Wei-jun, Xu Xuan of Kuang-ling, said in a loud voice, "At present far and near are united, every one cherishing loyalty. Why should the natives of Jiao and P'ei exclusively be employed, thereby disheartening those who have serving the royal house for so long?" The proposal was then rejected.

5. The troops of Qingzhou deserted thier barracks, beating battle-drums. Numerous officials maintained that they ought to be restrained, and suppressed by force of arms if they proved recalcitrant. Jia Kui disapproved. Eventually circular letters, or passports, were issued to the troops authorizing them to obtain provisions wherever they might be.

6. The Lord of Yen-ling, Cao Zhang, came to Luo Yang from Chang An. He asked Jia Kui where the state seal of the late King was. Jia Kui said stiffly, "The kingdom has an heir apparent. The seal of the late King is not a thing your Lordship should inquire about."

7. When knews of the King's death reached Ye, the Crown Prince lamented him unceasingly. The Grand Chamberlain to the Crown Price, Sima Fu, remonstrated with him: "With the death of the King, the whole empire depends on your Highness. You ought to think of your ancestors above and the myriad states below. Must you emulate the filial piety of a mere commoner?" Finally the Crown Prince desisted, saying, "You are right in your advice."

8. At this time, the officials of the Wei court had just heard of the King's death. Gathered in groups, they all lamented and did not keep to the court procession. Sima Fu reprimanded them: "Now the the King is dead, we ought to pay our respects to his successor as early as possible, for the stabilization of the myriad states. Must we indulge in weeping only?" He then dimissed all of the officals from court, appointed plalace guards, and attended to the buisness of the funeral. Sima Fu was a younger brother of Sima Yi.

9. The myriad officials held the opinion that before the Crown Prince acceded to the royal throne of Wei, there must be an edict from the Han Emperor. The State Sectretary, Chen Jiao said, " The King having died away from his domain, the whole empire has fallen into panic. It behooves the Crown Prince to moderate his mourning and ascend the throne, so that far and near may be calmed. Futhermore, the late King's favorite son is beside his corpse at Luo Yang; if anything untoward occurs, the foundation of the state itself will be endangered." Thereupon the officials were appointed and ceremonials provided for the enthronement, all being completed in a single day. On the following day the Crown Prince, by command of the Queen Dowager, ascended the royal throne and issued general amnesty.

10. Soon thereafter, the Han Emperor sent the Supervisor of Works, Hua Xin, with an edict empowering him to confer on the Crown Prince the seal of Premier of Han and seal of King of Wei, and to appoint him Governor of Jizhou.

11. The Queen of Wei was then given the title Queen Dowager.

12. The reign title of the Han was altered to Yen-k'ang.

13. Second month. On the day Feb. 22, the sun was eclipsed.

14. One the day Apr. 6, the Monitor Jia Xu was appointed to be Grand Marshal; the Supervisor of Works Hua Xin to be Premier; and the Attorney General Wang Lang to be Supervisor of Works.

15. On the day Apr. 11, King Wu was buried in the mausolem of Kao-ling.

16. The King's younger brothers, the Lord of Yen-ling Cao Zhang and others, all proceeded to their own territories.
You don't need to go to church to be saved, and you don't need to go to rehab to get off drugs. You just need to make the right decisions.
Gabriel
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Gabriel » Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:09 pm

Continued.....

17. The Overseer of a Fuedal Domain to Lord of Lin-tzu, Kuan Chun, with the intention of pleasing the throne, memorialized that the Lord of Lin-tzu Cao Zhi, in a drunken state, had acted irreverently and contemptuously towards the throne, threatening to lay hands on the King's emissary. The King degraded Cao Zhi to be lord of An-hsiang. He put to death the Anti-Espionage Officer of the Right P'ei-Kuo and his younger brother the Assistant Chamberlain Ding Yi, and all male members of their families; both were partisans of Cao Zhi.

18. Yu Huan comments:
" There is a saying, 'A poor man is thrifty without be taught; a lowly man is respectful without being taught.' This does not mean that their natures are different from those of others; they become what they are through circumstance. Such indeed is the force of necessity, never to be contradicted. Had Cao Cao in his time curbed the ambition of (his sons) Cao Zhi, could the latter, worthy man that he was, have become presumptuous and arrogant? Even Cao Zhang, with all his resentment, did not come to anything. How, then, could a man like Cao Zhi ever cause any trouble? What a pity that Yang Xiu was put to death because of his association with him, and Ding Yi got himself and his family exterminated through partisanship toward him. Whenever I read Cao Zhi's elegant and beautiful writings, they seem to me divinely inspired. I can understand well why Cao Cao favored him."

19. The King for the first time appointed Chamberlains and Junior Chamberlains, four of each. He also decreed that no eunuch should ever be appointed to offices higher then Director of the various palace bureaus; this regulation was inscribed on a metal tablet and placed for safe keeping in the Stone Chamber.

20. At this time the Grand Chamberlain and Chamberlains were to be selected. The King's retinue and his attendents from former days insinuated to the official in charge that he should select from among their number and not from other officials. Sima Fu said, "Even Yao and Shun had to have able miniters such as Ji and Qi. Since the new King has but lent talents and worthy character in the empire at large; in spite of our efforts, they perhaps may not be drawn to offer their service. Why take this oppurtunity of transition to recommend each? If those who are given official appointments cannot fulfill their duties, there is no glory for them in being appointed." In the end the officials in question were elected from various circles.

21. The State Secretary Chen Qun, alleging that the Celestial Court (i.e., the court of the Han), in it's selection of officials failed to recruit men of talents, instituted the Regulation for Rating all Officials into Nine Grades. In each province and each prefecture, an Equitable Rectifier was to be appoitned to take charge of selection of officials; the post was to be filled by a man of ability and insight in the province or prefecture in question. He was to assess the qualifications of men and grade them into nine ranks.

22. Summer, fifth month. On the day June 21, the Han Emperor conferred the posthumous appelation of August King on the King's grandfather the Grand Marshal and that of August Queen on his consort Ding.

23. The King appointed the Prefect of An Ding Tsou Ch'i to be Provincial Governer of Liangzhou. In the prefecture of Xi Ping a certain Chü Yen, in league with neighboring prefectures, rebelled and refused to accept Tsou Ch'i. In the prefecture of Chang-yeh Chang Chin seized the Prefect Tu T'ung and refused to accept the Prefect Hsin Chi, both rebels proclaiming themselves Prefects; thus they acted in concert with Chü Yen. In the prefecture of Wu-wei, Three Tribes of the Hu Barbarians appealed for help to the Prefect of Chin-ch'eng and Commissioner for the protection of the Qiang tribe, Su Tse, a native of Fu-feng. Su Tse was about to send him reinforcements; but the people of the prefecture were all of the opinion that, as the rebels were very powerful at that moment, heavier forces than his would be needed. At that time the geneals Hao Zhao and Wei P'ing had been garrisoning Chin-ch'eng for some time, but the King had commanded them not to cross the Yellow River to the west.

Su Tse then called an assembly of higher functionaries of the prefecture as well as Hao Zhao, etc...., and the chiefs of the Qiang tribe. He addressed them thus: " Powerful as they are at this moment, the rebels have joined hands but recently; possibly some of them have rallied through the coercion and not out of sympathy or conviction. If we take advantage of this heterogeneity and strike at them, the good will seperate from the bad, and once segregated, will come back to us, increasing our forces and decreasing theirs. By taking this course we not only will have more troops but also will redouble out spirits; when we lauch an attack, we shall be certain to destroy the enemy at one stroke. On the other hand, if we wait for the arrival of larger forces, much time will be wasted; meanwhile the good, unable to come back to us, will gradually coalesce with the bad; once the good and the bad are united, it will be difficult for us to seperate them. To be sure, there is the King's order to be taken into consideration. But we may disobey it to cope with the present emergency. Let us take the responsibility on our sholders."

Hao Zhao and the others agreed with him. He sent troops to reinforce the garrison at Wu-wei, so that the Three Tribes of the Hu barbarians were made to surrender. He then joined forces with Wu-ch'iu Hsing to attack Chang Chin at Chang-yeh. Hearing of this, Chu Yen with three thousand foot and horse came to see Su Tse; he gave forth that he had come to reinforce the latter's army, but his real intention was to attack him in his own camp. Su Tse inveigled him into his camp and killed him, after which he proclaimed the event throughout the army. The followers of the rebel took flight in all directions.

In the end Su Tse joined forces with various troops in laying seige to the city of Chang-yeh, and succeeded in capturing it. He killed Chang Chin; Huang Hua took fright and surrendered. Thus the region west of the Yellow River was pacified.
Gabriel
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Gabriel » Sat Jan 14, 2006 12:56 am

Continued.....

24. Some time ago, when the Prefect of Tun-huang Ma Ai died in his post, the people of the prefecture elected the Provincial Secretary for Personnel Chang Kung to act as Prefectural Chancellor. Chang Kung then sent his son Chang Chiu to court to convey his request for prompt appointment of a new Prefect. Meanwhile Huang Hua and Chang Chin rebelled and wanted the garrison at Tun-huang to join forces with them. They seized Chang Chiu and threatened him with drawn sword, but Chang Chiu would not go back to Tun-huang. He sent a letter secretly to his father Chang Kung: "You, sir, have been presevering in your duty at Tun-huang and are well known for your loyalty. Why should you become a turncoat because of the adversity in which I happen to find myself? Formerly Yo Yang had to eat his own son and Li T'ung brought his family to extermination. Can an official devoted to the weal of the land ever think of his wife and children? Large reinforcements will come soon. All you have to do is hearten your troops and continue to resist. I beg you not to let your paternal affection for me become cause for my grief in the netherworld."

Upon receiving this, Chang Kung led his troops forth to attack Chiu-ch'uan. He also had two hundred of his crack cavalry and the officials of the prefecture preceed eastward by way of the northern pass of Chiu-ch'uan to welcome the newly appointed Prefect Yin Feng. Huang Hua wished to come to Chang Chin's help, but he had to keep an eye in Chang Kung's troops, who might attack his rear; for this reason he was not in a position to do so and in the end surrendered. Chang Chiu did not suffer and harm, and Yin Feng was enabled to take his post in the prefecture. The King conferred the titular rank of Kuan-nei Lord on Chang Kung.

25. Sixth month. One the day Aug. 12, the King with his army started on a tour of inspection in the south.

26. Autumn, seventh month (Aug. 17 - Sept. 14). Sun Quan sent an envoy to offer tribute to the Wei court.

27. Meng Da, a general of Shu, had been garrisoning Shang-yong. But discord arose between him and the Commandant of the Auxiliary Corps Liu Feng, who encroached on his right. At the head of more then four thousand soldiers under his command Meng Da came and surrendered to Wei.

Meng Da had an imposing appearence and a fine mind; the King made very much of him, sharing his carrige with him. He conferred on Meng Da the title of Chamberlain and the military rank of General for Establishing Prowess, and efeoffed him Village Lord of P'ing-yang. Having merged the three prefectures of Fang-ling, Shang-yong and Hsi-ch'eng into a single prefecture, Hsin-ch'eng, he appointed Meng Da to be it's prefect, thereby entrusting him with the management of the southwestern region of the kingdom.

28. The Chancellor on the March Liu Ye said on this occasion: "Meng Da is an adventurer at heart; he is proud of his talent and fond of scheming. He certainly is not one to feel grateful and cherish loyalty. Hsin-ch'eng is so situated, adjacent to the domains of Sun Quan and Liu Bei, that should he cause any trouble, our state will suffer." The King paid no heed to him.

29. The King ordered the General of the Forces for Southern Expedition Xiahou Shang and the General of the Right Corps Xu Huang to cooperate with Meng Da in a campaign against Liu Feng. The Prefect of Shang-yong, Shen Dan rose against Liu Feng and gave himself over to Wei. Liu Feng suffered defeat and returned to Cheng Du, capital of Shu.

Now, Liu Feng was originally a son of a certain K'ou of Lo-hou. The King of Han-zhong Liu Bei, when he first came to Jing-zhou, had no heir, and so had adopted him as his son. Zhuge Liang feared that Liu Feng, a man of strong will and character, might not remain tractable after the death of his adoptive father, so he now advised the King of Han-zhong to do away with him. Thereupon Liu Feng was ordered to commit suicide.

30. Yang P'u, King of the Di barbarians in Wu-du, together with his tribesmen, pledged allegiance to the King of Wei.

31. On the day Sept. 9 the King and his army halted at Ch'iao. In the eastern part of the town he invited his army as well as the elders of Ch'iao to a grand feast, at which musical and sundry other entertainments were given, and officials and the common people toasted the King. The feast lasted till sunset.
Gabriel
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Liu Yuante » Sat Jan 14, 2006 2:09 am

I wonder if there are any copyright issues that this might violate...

Adrian
Liu Yuante
绯红王

Unread postby Gabriel » Sat Jan 14, 2006 2:25 am

Hey, I was thinking the exact same thing... Should I continue?
Gabriel
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby iamnick » Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:52 am

if u decide not to and to delete these, can u at least give us a little bit of a warning? :wink:
iamnick
Assistant

Unread postby DynastyWarriors6 » Sat Jan 14, 2006 4:40 am

Very well done, but watch your back with copyright issues.
DynastyWarriors6
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Re: The Chronicle of the Three Kingdoms

Unread postby Lexus Fiend » Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:31 pm

Liang Shuo wrote:Here for your viewing pleasure, I present The Chonicle of the Three Kingdoms by Achilles Fang. I heard was rare, so I decided to enlighten you all by writing it out for you. You all should be happy, and offer me many thanks :D. Unfortunetly though, the book is only from AD 220 - AD 245, but there's still alot of information there.

Perhaps I'm out of the loop, but I am not familiar with, and don't believe I have heard of these particular Chronicles before. Is there any background you (or anyone else for that matter) can give on it, such as any information about this Achilles Fang and it's historical accuracy? Is it just basically historical information put into this easy to read format for recordkeeping purposes, or is it more of a literary/non-fiction/entertainment type thing (for severe lack of a better term)?

Oh, and thanks and stuff :wink: Hopefully you will be able to post more without trouble because I'd like to continue on with it.
-Devin aka LuckyD
*Neighborhood Superstar*
"Street smarts on the level of a Harvard degree."
Lexus Fiend
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Gabriel » Sat Jan 14, 2006 5:18 pm

I don't know much on Achilles himself, but I do believe his works are historical. So I would say it's the first, "historical information put into this easy to read format" and since there are no objections I shall continue.
Gabriel
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium Archives