The Chronicle of the Three Kingdoms

Best threads of the SGYYS, for your viewing pleasure.

Unread postby iamnick » Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:16 pm

Since you are missing volume two, do you want me to make a seperate thread to start typing that one? I only have my copies on loan, and as tempted as I am to photocopy/scan the whole two volumes, I think that I may be to lazy. :wink:
iamnick
Assistant

Unread postby iamnick » Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:03 am

also, I noticed you were not including notes... if you wanted me to help, I would be including the notes to the sectios that I do.
iamnick
Assistant

Unread postby Gabriel » Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:34 pm

Don't worry about making another topic or writing the notes, but feel free to copy the two volumes.
You don't need to go to church to be saved, and you don't need to go to rehab to get off drugs. You just need to make the right decisions.
Gabriel
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Gabriel » Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:02 pm

17. When the Emperor first took charge of the government, Chen Qun sent up a memorial saying, "The Shih says, 'Take your pattern from King Wen, and the myriad regions will repose confidence in you'. It also says, 'And his example acted on his wife, extended to his brethren, and was felt by all the clans and states'.

"The Way begins with those close by, and the transformation to good permeates the whole empire. Now, war gear and weapons have not been laid down since the disorders, and the people are unacquainted with the foundation of royal instruction; I am much afraid it will fall into decay. Your Majesty finds himself in the midst of the greatness of the flourishing Wei dynasty, having inherited the work of your two ancestors (i.e., Cao Cao and Cao Pi). The whole empire looks to you to bring about good government. You have only to revere virtue to spread moral transformation, and show benevolence toward the people as a whole; then all will be surpassingly fortunate for the multitudes.

"Now if officials but echo each other's opinion, right and wrong will become confused, and this will be a great calamity for the state. On the other hand, if they are not in harmony with each other, there will be enmity among them; if there is enmity among them, slander and praise will be indiscriminate. If slander and praise are indiscriminate, true and false will be confused. These are things which must be looked into thoroughly."

18. On the day kuei-wei the Emperor canonized posthumously his mother Lady Zhen as "Illustrious Empress, Consort of Wen-di".

19. On the day jen-ch'en the Emperor named his younger brother Cao Rui Prince of Yang-p'ing. [Note that the Emperor's ming was Rui.]

20. Sixth month. On the day July 20 Wen-di was buried in the musoleum at Shou-yang.

21. The King of Wu got news of the imperial mourning in Wei.

Autumn, eighth month (Sept 10 - Oct. 8). He personally led an attack on Jiang-xia-chun. Its Prefect Wen Ping stoutly defended the place; at court it was decided to send troops to reinforce him.

The Emperor said, "The reason Sun Quan, who is versed only in naval warfare, has dared to leave his ships and make a land attack is that he hoped to surprise us unprepared. At present he has been contending with Wen Ping. In general, attack requires twice as much strength as defense; he will not dare prolong it to the finish."

The court had already sent the chih-shu shih-yu-shih Xun Yu to encourage the frontier region. Reaching Jiang-xia, Xun Yu mobilized the troops of the hsien he had passed through as well as the thousand infantry and cavalry in his suite, and had them mount the hills and set fires. The King of Wu fled.

22. On the day Sept. 23, Cao Chiung, a son of the Emperor, was named Prince of Ch'ing-ho.

23. The Wu tso chiang-chun Zhuge Jin and others invaded Xiang-yang. Sima Yi attacked and repulsed them, killing Zhang Ba, a subordinate general. Cao Zhen also defeated the general of a detachment at Hsun-yang. They (i.e., Sima Yi, Cao Zhen and their subordinates) were rewarded individually in accordance with their merits.
You don't need to go to church to be saved, and you don't need to go to rehab to get off drugs. You just need to make the right decisions.
Gabriel
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jordan » Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:30 am

Sometime in summer, I might have an opportunity to get this. Liang Shuo, where did you purchase the two Achilles Fang chronicles? And how much did they cost? I really want to get this book...

Edit-Also Nick you said you borrowed it or something? Can you check it out at certain libraries or anything like that?
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Gabriel » Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:29 am

Mine's only one volume(one book), and the place(website) I purchased it from no longer has it. I bought it for about $150.00, something around that.
Gabriel
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby iamnick » Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:57 am

SlickSlicer wrote:Sometime in summer, I might have an opportunity to get this. Liang Shuo, where did you purchase the two Achilles Fang chronicles? And how much did they cost? I really want to get this book...

Edit-Also Nick you said you borrowed it or something? Can you check it out at certain libraries or anything like that?

Western Michigan university has the only copy of it in michigan that is at collegic libraries, and I was able to get it through a inter-library loan system thing (actually, my ex-girlfriend got it for me through it.. I have no idea how it works). I am supposed to return it by may 1st, but since the last time it was checked out was 1992, I am going to ask them if I can simply buy it.
iamnick
Assistant

Unread postby Gabriel » Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:12 pm

24. In Wu the Mountain People of Dan-yang, Wu, and K'uai again made incursions, raiding and taking districts. The King of Wu set off the hilly districts of the three chun to form Tung-an-chun, appointing the sui-nan chiang-chun Quan Song as its Prefect. On his arrival Quan Song made clear what the rewards and punishments would be, and summoned the unruly to come and surrender. In a few years he had won over more than ten thousand persons, and the King of Wu recalled Quan Song to Niu-chu and abolished Tung-an-chun.

25. Winter, tenth month (Nov. 8 - Dec. 6). Cao Chiung, Prince of Ch'ing-ho, died.

26. In Wu, Lu Xun set forth his views on state affairs and advised the King of Wu to dispense goodness and punish leniently, to lighten taxation and stop levying troops. He said further, "One is not able to bring forth in full one's words of loyal advice; I petition to give you profitable information."

The King repleid, "Laws are promulgated to stop misdeeds and prevent wickedness, to give warning in advance. How could there not be punishments to put the little people in awe? The laws I have promulgated have only this purpose -- in the first place to teach the people by commands, and then to punish them if they disobey, so that there will be no transgressors. Laws which you consider too harsh cannot profit me, either. But there were no alternatives presented, so I was obliged to make them. Now that I have received your opinion, it is fitting to hold consultations again, and I will try to adopt what is best. Furthermore, it is for privy officials to offer corrective admonitions; relatives, examining and supplementing these, should also give their advice. Thus will a prince be supported, a sovereign rectified, loyalty and faithfulness made manifest.

"The Shu says, 'When I am doing wrong, it is yours to correct me -- do not follow me to my face.' How can I fail to take pleasure in loyal words for my profit and assistance?

"Yet you say one does not dare to set fourth his views in full; in that case, how can there be loyal admonition?

"If there is in the advice of a minor official something worth adopting, would I reject words because of the person, and not accept them? On the other hand, stupid though I am, I can see through flattery practiced to please me. As for levying troops, this is done solely because the empire is not yet settled, and the interests of the multitudes have to be taken care of. If I am to do nothing more than defend Jiang-dong, revere virtue and practice lenient rule, then the troops now under arms will be sufficient, and to have more will be very toilsome. But to defend the troops in advance, I am afraid that when they are needed they will not be available. Furthermore, you and I understand each other extraordinarily well; our interests are indentical. In your memorial you say, 'I dare not follow the example of the masses and put myself at ease and peace.' This attitude is just what I should expect from you."

And he straightway commanded his officials to write down all the laws and regulations, and had the lang-chung Ch'u Feng take them to Lu Xun and Zhuge Jin. If there was anything they did not find satisfactory, they were authorized to modify it.

27. Twelfth month (Jan. 6 - Feb. 3, 227). The t'ai-yu Zhong Yu was appointed to be t'ai-fu; the cheng-tung ta chiang-chun Cao Xiu to be ta ssu-ma, while retaining his position as tu-tu of Yang-zhou; the chung-chun ta chiang-chun Cao Zhen to be ta chiang-chun; the ssu-t'u Hua Xin to be t'ai-yu; the ssu-k'ung Wang Lang to be ssu-t'u; the chen-chun ta chiang-chun Chen Qun to be ssu-k'ung; and the fu-chun ta chiang-chun Sima Yi to be p'iao-chi ta chiang-chun.

28. Hua Xin wished to yield his position to Guan Ning. The Emperor did not permit this, but summoned Guan Ning and appointed him kuang-lu ta'fu. He commanded the prefect of Qing-zhou to furnish him a carriage and attendants, and to dispatch him with due respect to court. But this time again, Guan Ning did not come.
Gabriel
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jordan » Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:36 am

K'uai? Is that the same thing as Qu'a Liang? This translation is so confusing to me. And thanks guys for the information. It looks like this thing is going to be hella hard, if not impossible to find.
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Gabriel » Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:14 pm

Beats me. If I knew what it was I wouldn't have put it that way in my post.
Gabriel
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium Archives