The Chronicle of the Three Kingdoms

Best threads of the SGYYS, for your viewing pleasure.

Unread postby Gabriel » Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:30 am

If you think those are right, then I'll go back and edit my posts.... It may be a while though as I'm not off until next Friday :cry: .
You don't need to go to church to be saved, and you don't need to go to rehab to get off drugs. You just need to make the right decisions.
Gabriel
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby iamnick » Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:00 pm

some i am 100% about. I even double checked a few against some of the bios just to make sure. There are a few others that I am not so sure, but I mentioned most of those in the post.
I would leave the chinese and just add (general of the north) or whatever after it. Then, if anyone notices that it is incorrect, they can let you know. I'll try to get around to posting more tonight if I have time. Tonight, I work at lifeguard from 3-9, and then I have to run a lock-in at my lazer tag arena from midnight to 6 am, and then come back to it saturday at 6 pm until midnight. Sunday I am off, so I can definitly do it then if I havn't yet.
iamnick
Assistant

Unread postby vvill » Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:12 am

Wow. That is a big thick book, at least the copy I've read. Good luck with it.

It's quite a dry read to be honest, but a great historical source.
vvill
Apprentice

Unread postby Gabriel » Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:35 pm

6. [Intercalary third month.] On the day June 29, the Emperor with his marine troops again launched the campaign against Wu. The officials discussed the matter extensively; the censor Pao Hsun admonished him, saying, "The reason why we have never achieved success, in spite of the fact that Your Majesty's army repeated the campaign, is that Wu and Shu depend on one another as lips and teeth, and rely on the stronghold given them by mountains and waters, so that they are difficult to conquer. Last year when the Emperor's boat was shaken and drifted to the southern bank of the Jiang, the august person of the Emperor was endangerd and his officials were in dispair; at that time the foundation of the dynasty was almost on the verge of destruction. This was a warning for a hundred generations to come. Now you are again about to belabor the troops and attack far-away, expending a thousand units of money daily and draining Central China to emptiness. Now the treacherous rebels are showing disrespect to Your Majesty, I presume to think differently and disapprove."

The Emperor was angry and demoted Pao Hsun to be chih-shu chih-fa. Pao Hsun was Pao Hsin's son.

7. Summer, fifth month. On the day July 25, the Emperor went to Ch'iao.

8. In Wu, Sun Shao of Bo-hai, the ch'eng-hsiang, died.

9. Some time before this, Wu had to appoint a ch'eng-hsiang. The consensus was in favor of Zhang Zhao. The King of Wu said, "The affairs now requiring attention are many. One whose duty is great bears a great responsibility. It is not doing any one a favor to appoint him ch'eng-hsiang."

After the death of Sun Shao, the officials again recommended Zhang Zhao. The King of Wu said, "It is not that I begrudge it to Zibu! To be charged with the duty of a ch'eng-hsiang is an excessive task. And this gentleman is too uncomprimising by nature. If his words are not followed, there will be complaints and reproaches from him. It would not be a favor to him to appoint him ch'eng-hsiang." And he gave the appointment to Gu Yong.

10. Sixth month (July 23 - Aug. 21). The t'ai-ch'ang Gu Yong was appointed to be ch'eng-hsiang and to take charge of the business of the shang-shu.

11. As for his personality, Gu Yong abstained from alcoholic beverages, and was generally taciturn. His conduct was unexceptionable. The King of Wu one exclaimed, "Master Gu may not speak; but once he does, he speaks the right thing." Even during drinking parties, when there was general merriment, the participants feared that Gu Yong might discover follies committed in intoxication; therefore they did not dare to give free rein to their desires. The King of Wu also said, "When His Excellency Gu is with us, we do not enjoy ourselves." To such an extent was he held in awe.

12. When he was first appointed shang-shu-ling and eneoffed Lord of Yang-sui, he went back to his office after the eneoffment, but members of his family did not know of it [i.e., the eneoffment]. Eventually they heard of it and were taken by surprise.

13. When he became ch'eng-hsiang, he employed the civil officials and the generals of the army in accordance with their capacities, without being influenced by his personal likes or dislikes. He constantly inquired after the affairs of the people and the business of the government. He would always report on them secretly; if any of his suggestions were accepted, he attributed the credit to his sovereign, and if they were not accepted, he did not divulge in the matter at all. The King of Wu respected him because of this. When he discussed or criticized governmental business at court, he wore an affable expression, but the points he stuck to were correct and hence he was obstinate.

14. As for good or bad measures of army and state, and commendable or reprehensible conduct in others, he never spoke of them unless he himself was a witness.
You don't need to go to church to be saved, and you don't need to go to rehab to get off drugs. You just need to make the right decisions.
Gabriel
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Gabriel » Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:19 am

15. The King often sent a chung-shu-lang to Gu Yong's residence to ask his opinion. When a measure suited Gu Yong's view and he thought it practicable, he would study it from different angles, probing to the bottom of it. He would also bring out food and drink. If it did not coincide with his view, Gu Yong would look solemn and keep silent, and no hospitality was given. The chung-shu-lang would then retire and report to the King. The King said, "When His Excellency Gu is pleased, it means that the measure is right. It is because the measure is not proper that he did not speak. I had better think on it further." To such an extent was he respected and trusted.

The various generals stationed along the Jiang each wished to gain credit and further their own careers. They profusely set fourth their strategic plans, with the intent of launching surprise attacks on Wei. The King asked Gu Yong about it.

Gu Yong said, "We are told in the Art of War, that one should be warned against petty profit. These proposals are not for the cause of the state. Your Majesty ought to stop them. Anything less than illuminating your martial prowess and injuring the enemy deserves no heed."

The King followed his advice.

16. The soldiers of Li-ch'eng-chun, Ts'ai Fang and others, seized the chun and revolted, killing it's prefect Xu Zhi. They elected T'ang Tzu, a man of Li-ch'eng-chun to be ruler. The Emperor ordered the t'un-chi chiao-yu Jen Fu and others to attack and quell them. T'ang Tzu fled by the sea route to Wu; the Wu made him a general.

17. Autumn, seventh month (Aug. 22 - Sept. 19). Cao Jian, a son of the Emperor, was named Prince of Tung Wu-yang.

18. In Han, Zhuge Liang reached Nan-zhong, winning victories everywhere. Zhuge Liang enterd Nan-zhong from Yueh-hui and put Yong Kai and Gao Ding to death. He had the Inspector of Lai-hsiang, Li Huai of Yi-zhou, come in from Yi-zhou, and Ma Zhong of Ba-xi, the men-hsia-tu, come in from Tsang-k'o. They conquered the various hsien and finally joined Zhuge Liang. Meng Huo collected the remaining followers of Yong Kai and opposed Zhuge Liang.

19. Meng Huo was respected by both the barbarians and the Chinese; Zhuge Liang determined to take him alive. Having caught him, he made him inspect his camps. He asked, "What do you think of this army?"

Meng Huo said, "Formerly I did not know the actual strength of your army, hence I was defeated. Now that you have graciously permitted me to inspect the camps, which are only like this, I am certain to defeat you easily."

Zhuge Liang, laughing, released him. Seven times he captured him, and seven times he released him; still would Zhuge Liang let Meng Huo go. But at last Meng Huo stayed and would not go, saying, "Your Excellency has heavenly majesty. We southerners will not rebel anymore."

Zhuge Liang at length reach Tien-ch'ih.
Gabriel
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Gabriel » Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:32 am

20. The four chun, Yi-zhou, Yong-chang, Tsang-k'o, and Yueh-hui, were all pacified. Zhuge Liang employed natives of these places as local officials.

Some one advised Zhuge Liang against this measure. Zhuge Liang said, "If we leave behing outsiders, we must also leave soldiers with them, and the soldiers back there will not have any provisions. This is the first difficulty. Then, the barbarians have lately suffered injury and destruction, their fathers and elder brothers being killed. Leaving behing outsiders and no soldiers would be certain to bring calamity. This is the second difficulty. Lastly, the barbarians have frequently committed the crime of desposing and killing governers and they are aware how serious their misdeeds are. If we leave behing outsiders, they will never be at ease. This is the third difficulty. Now I intend to leave no soldiers behind nor transport provisions, and yet to bring about the same goverment and to make both the barbarians and the Chinese live more or less peacefully with each other. Hence my measure."

21. So Zhuge Liang appointed all of the worthy and competent among them, such as Meng Huo, to be officials. He took their gold, silver, red and black lacquer, plowing oxen and war horses, thus making good provision for both army and State. From that time the barbarians did not rebel again during the lifetime of Zhuge Liang.

22. Eighth month (Sept. 20 - Oct. 19). The Emperor finally sailed with his marine troops from Ch'iao on the Ko river and reached the Huai. Then he went by land to Xu(-zhou).

23. Jiang Ji, the shang-shu, memorialized the throne that the water route would be difficult to negotiate, but the Emperor did not follow his advice.

24. Winter, tenth month (Nov. 18 - Dec. 17). The Emperor went to the former residence-city of Kuang-ling; in view of the Jiang, he made a display of arms. Armed soldiers totalled a hundred and many ten-thousands, banners and flags stretched for several hundred li.

25. He was determined to cross the Jiang. The Wu forces were imposing and their preparation solid. At the time it was extremely cold and the waters partially frozen, so that boats could not enter the Jiang. Looking at the surging waves, the Emperor sighed, "Alas, it is indeed Heaven that separates south from north." In the end he withdrew.

Sun Shao then sent his general Kao Shou and others, with five hundred volunteers who risked death to take a short cut and surprise the Emperor during the night. The Emperor was taken completely unawares. Having captured the Emperor's secondary carriages, and some carriage-covers made of plumes, Kao Shou and his men returned.

26. There were in this campaign thousands of war boats, all obstructed and unable to move. Some one urged that the soldiers be left behing to settle in agricultural colonies. Jiang Ji maintained that with the lake close by to the east, and with the Huai on the north, when the water rose the rebels [i.e., the Wu] could easily raid, so that agricultural colonies were not advisable. The Emperor took his advice and then moved immediately, returning to the lake Ching-hu.

When the water fell slightly, the Emperor entrusted all the ships to Jiang Ji. The ships extended several hundred li. Jiang Ji dug four or five canals, bringing the ships together by punting them. He had previously built dikes which diverted the lake water to the rear of the ships. When the obstruction make by the dikes was suddenly broken open, the ships floated into the Huai, and thus they were able to return.

27. Eleventh month (Dec. 18, 225 - Jan. 15, 226). Cao Jian, the Prince of Tung Wu-yang, died.

28. Twelfth month (Jan. 16 - Feb. 14, 226). In Wu, P'eng Ch'i, a bandit of P'o-yang proclaiming himself a chiang-chun, attacked and seized chun and hsien. His followers numbered several tens of thousands.
Gabriel
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Gongli » Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:50 am

Ahhh, good ol' Sun Shao. Who's this Gao Shou chap though?
"There are those who try to shape the world to their own whim,
and then there are those who allow the world to shape them.
It is in the balance that greatness is achieved."
Sun Gongli
Poo Poo Pants

Unread postby Liu Yuante » Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:11 am

Just some quick notes to your rank info:

Grand Commandant is taiwei, not taiyu, and chun qiu means, literally, Spring and Autumn and, through the famous work by that name it comes to mean Annals.

Adrian
Liu Yuante
绯红王

Unread postby Gabriel » Sat Apr 08, 2006 7:04 pm

Seventh Year of Huang-ch'u (226 A.D.)
Shu: Fourth Year of Chien-hsing
Wu: Fifth Year of Huang-wu

1. [Spring, first month (Feb. 15 - Mar. 15). The Emperor was about to come to Xu-chang when the south gate of Xu-chang collapsed from some unexplained cause. The Emperor was displeased at this and did not enter the city.]

2. Spring, first month. On the day Feb. 24 the Emperor returned to Luo-yang. He said to Jiang Ji, "One cannot help but learn from experience. Before, I thought I would have to take half the ships and burn them in Lake Shan-yang. Here you had a later start than I and have brought them all, reaching Qiao at practiacally the same time as I. And whenever you set things forth you virtually enter into my own thought. From now on, in my plans for campaigns against the rebels, give me your best thought and discussion."

3. In Han, because the ch'eng-hsiang Zhuge Liang intended to lead an army to Han-zhong, the ch'ien chiang-chun Li Yan, who was to take charge of affairs behind the front, was transferred to Jiang-zhou. The hu-chun Chen Dao was left behind at Yong-an and stationed there, but under the command of Li Yan.

4. In Wu, Lu Xun, considering the widespread scarcity of grain, memorialized the throne to command the various generals to increase the area of arable land. The King of Wu replied, "Very good. Let me and my sons also receive our own allotments of land. We shall harness eight oxen to four pairs of plows; to be sure, this will not make us equal to the ancients, but my intention is to share the toil of the multitude."

5. While the Emperor was still Crown Prince, a younger brother of his wife Lady Kuo committed a crime. Bao Xun, Magistrate of the Western Section of Wei-chun, judged the case. The Crown Prince interceded in vain, and so bore a grudge against Bao Xun. After he ascended the throne, he was admonished by Bao Xun in unequivocal language, and as Emperor was all the more vexed.

6. Returning from his campaign against Wu, the Emperor encamped in the district of Chen-liu. Bao Xun was then chih-shu chih-fa, and the Prefect Sun Yung paid him an official visit. At the time barracks had not yet been built, only poles and walls had been set up. Sun Yung took a by-path and did not come by the proper road; Liu Yao, the Military Justice Officer, wished to indict him for this. On the ground that the barracks were not yet built, Bao Xun checked him and did not bring up the case.

Hearing of this, the Emperor said, "Bao Xun would point his finger at a deer and call it a horse", and had him arrested and sent to the t'ing-yu for sentencing. The t'ing-yu rendered judgment in accordance with the law, sentencing him to five years' servitude. The Three Officials, however, disallowed this sentence and ordered him to instead pay a fine of two catties of gold.

The Emperor was furious, and said: "Bao Xun is not entitled to live, yet you people wish to aquit him. The Three Officials and their subordinates shall be arrested and committed to the Censor so that the accomplices shall share the same fate."

The tai-yu Zhong Yu, the ssu-t'u Hua Xin, the chen-chun ta chiang-chun Chen Qun, the shih-chung Xin Pi, the acting shou t'ing-yu Kao Jou, the shang-shu Wei Zhen, etc., all memorialized the throne that Bao Xun's father Bao Xin had rendered meritorious services to T'ai-Tsu and interceded for him. The Emperor would not yield.

7. However, the acting t'ing-yu Kao Jou persisted in disobeying the Emperor commands. Greatly annoyed, the Emperor summoned Kao Jou to the shang-shu-t'ai and thus while Kao Jou was away from his office sent his messenger to the t'ing-yu to put Bao Xun to death. After Bao Xun's death the Emperor sent Kao Jou back to his office.
Gabriel
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Gabriel » Sun Apr 09, 2006 4:08 pm

8. Cao Hong, p'iao-chi chiang-chun and Lord of Tu-yang, was wealthy but by nature stingy. While in the Eastern Palace [i.e., as Crown Prince], the Emperor wished to borrow a hundred pieces of silk from Cao Hong, but the latter did not give him satisfaction; so he disliked him. Finally, because one of his subordinates committed an offense, he had him sent to prison and was about to put him to death. All the officials tried to rescue him, but to no avail. The Empress Dowager nee Pien angrily reproved the Emperor, saying, "Without Cao Hong, at the time of difficulty in the region of Liang and P'ei, there would not be this present day!"

She furthermore told the Empress nee Kuo, "If Cao Hong dies today, I shall demand tomorrow that the Emperor depose the Empress."

At this the Empress Kuo tearfully and repeatedly interceded. So Cao Hong was saved, but he was dismissed from his office and deprived of his eneoffment.

9. Now the Empress nee Kuo did not have a son of her own, and the Emperor let her adopt his son Cao Rui, the Prince of Ping-yuan. However, because Cao Rui's mother Lady Zhen had been put to death, the Emperor did not appoint him as his heir. Cao Rui nevertheless served the Empress assiduously, and she was very fond of him.

10. The Emperor and Cao Rui were once on a hunting party when they spied a doe and her young. The Emperor shot and killed the doe, and commanded Cao Rui to shoot the fawn. Cao Rui, with tears in his eyes, said, "Your Majesty has already killed the mother, I cannot bear to kill the son as well." The Emperor, moved to compassion, threw down his bow and arrows.

11. Summer, fifth month (June 13 - July 11). The Emperor was gravely ill, and appointed Cao Rui as Crown Prince.

12. On the day June 28 the Emperor summoned to his presence the chung-chun ta chiang-chun Cao Zhen, the chen-chun ta chiang-chun Chen Qun, the cheng-tung ta chiang-chun Cao Xiu, and the fu-chun ta chiang-chun Sima Yi. All these received an imperial testament appointing them to serve as guardian-regents.

13. On the day June 29 the Emperor passed away.

14. Chen Shou's Commentary reads: "Wen-di was endowed by nature with literary talent; to compose, he had only to apply his writing-brush. He was widely read and had a strong memory; his talents and accomplishments were equally comprehensive. Had he added to these a quality of breadth and greatness, and given encouragement through sincere fairness and openness of mind, exerting his will to preserve the Way and broaden his power and heart, he would hardly have been far removed from the worthy sovereigns of antiquity."

15. The Crown Prince ascended the imperial throne and issued general amnesty. He honored the Empress Dowager as Grand Empress Dowager and the Empress as Empress Dowager, and conferred various ranks and eneoffments on the different officials.

16. Now while in the Eastern Palace [i.e., as Crown Prince], Ming-di [i.e., Cao Rui as Emperor] did not make friends with the court officials, nor inquire into politics, but devoted himself soley to books. After he mounted the throne the officials were all eager to know more about him. After some days he received singly in audience the shih-chung Liu Ye. They conversed the whole day, the crowd listening outside. When Liu Ye came out, they asked what he was like. Liu Ye said, "He is on par with Qin Shi-Huang-Di and Han Xiao-Wu; his talent and capacity are in no way inferior to theirs."
Gabriel
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium Archives