Did Ma Chao deserve to be one of the Five Tigers?

Best threads of the SGYYS, for your viewing pleasure.

Do You think Ma Chao deserved to be ranked amoung Guan Yu, Zhao Zilong and the others?

Yea
70%
nope
30%

Total votes : 219

Did Ma Chao deserve to be one of the Five Tigers?

Unread postby Skull_Makoto » Wed Dec 01, 2004 3:48 am

Personally I like Ma Chao but I dont really think he should be one of the Five Tigers of Shu....I dont think He really did anything to really contribute to Shu while he served Liu Bei to deserve being one of the Five Tigers.
Accept your fate.

Or make your own.

Then die.
Skull_Makoto
Tyro

Unread postby Jeremy » Wed Dec 01, 2004 4:17 am

First off we should probably read the historical bio if you don't know or remember much about him. I know he was well ranked with Xu Chu as shown in his one rebellion against Cao Cao for killing his father. I think the Five Tiger Generals were supposed to be for the most known or best in fighting and such. It was probably not necessarily for the people who did the most for Shu considerng Huang Zhong was in it and had not done much yet except do well against Guan Yu.
Jeremy
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Huang Bob » Wed Dec 01, 2004 4:20 am

Yes.

He's not even comparable to Wei Yan. Wei Yan acted on his own accord sometimes and disobeyed orders which got him into trouble.

Wei Yan would be the only other replacement for Ma Chao.

MaChaoMaster: Huang Zhong's deeds came from the invasion of Shu, the battle for Han Zhong and to a smaller extent, Yiling.
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.
Huang Bob
United Abominations

Unread postby Skull_Makoto » Wed Dec 01, 2004 4:25 am

Ma Chao did have his valor, I mean he did almost kill Cao Cao...yeah I guess no one could really have taken his place cept for Wei Yan(which shouldve happened) but when he joined shu he didnt do anything really. If he had not died so early I think he couldve done more though.

yea what are u talking about Huang Zhong not doing anything, how bout Mt Ding Jun. He killed Xiahou Yuan!
Accept your fate.

Or make your own.

Then die.
Skull_Makoto
Tyro

Unread postby n06guy » Wed Dec 01, 2004 4:35 am

Just based on his valor in the field prior to joining Shu, and keeping the Qiang tribes in check, I suppose he deserves it.
n06guy
Assistant

Unread postby Jeremy » Wed Dec 01, 2004 5:03 am

I wasn't thinking there :oops: For some reason I was thinking the Five Tiger Generals were chosen before all of that, my bad, :oops:
Jeremy
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Master Fu Xi » Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:20 pm

I really like Ma Chao...but he didn't do much. I think Wei Yan deserved more to be a Tiger because he fought! He governed Han Zhong while Ma Chao kept the Qiang off of Shu... he may have dueled Xu Chu and if I'm correct that's the strongest person he dueled and Xu Chu has 93 war on ROTK while Ma Chao has 97 which makes no sense.
Master Fu Xi
Initiate

Unread postby Rommel » Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:36 pm

Master Fu Xi wrote:Xu Chu has 93 war on ROTK while Ma Chao has 97 which makes no sense.

It means that Xu Chu was ranked 93rd and Ma Chao was ranked 97th in the duel list. How does it sound now :D ?

With Ma Chao's resume I don't think that he could be honored to one of the tigers. However who else in Shu could have better record than Ma Chao's besides the other 4 tigers?
Rommel
Sage

Unread postby Master Fu Xi » Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:39 pm

Oh yes something else that was brought to my mind which is impressive in what Ma Chao did. He killed Wang Fang of Dong Zhuo's force when he was 16 in his first battle. And he was feared by Cao at Tong Gate. It still doesn't quallify enough for me though...
Master Fu Xi
Initiate

Unread postby Fei Yi » Wed Dec 01, 2004 9:59 pm

I believe the five tigers were the strongest generals of shu at that point. They were the most feared generals througout the land at that time. Most of Wei Yan's actions in battle were after appointing the five tiger generals. and after the death of three of them. Lets not forget that Liu Zhang surrendered simply because Ma Chao was heading towards Cheng Du. I think Ma Chao's appointment as a five tiger general is just, he showed his skill and valor on enough occasions to earn the title.
All we need to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us... "Gandalf the grey"

Death smiles to us all...., all we can do is smile back... "Marcus Aurelius"

Freedom lies behind the boundries we've created ourselves...
Fei Yi
Sage

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium Archives