Did Ma Chao deserve to be one of the Five Tigers?

Best threads of the SGYYS, for your viewing pleasure.

Do You think Ma Chao deserved to be ranked amoung Guan Yu, Zhao Zilong and the others?

Yea
70%
nope
30%

Total votes : 220

Re: Did Ma Chao deserve to be one of the Five Tigers?

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:00 pm

It was going on long before tumbler. Why? I think for a lot of people, discovering how different Ma Teng's fate was in history from novel went down very badly, Chen Shou's commentary about Ma Chao and the Qiang plus figures like Lady Jiang's tongue lashing stuck in heads. I don't think people warm to Ma Chao given his general history either and people vary on his ability

I agree with you that Cao Cao was very likely trying to provoke the Liang warlords and he ignored all their offers for treaty after the attack.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Re: Did Ma Chao deserve to be one of the Five Tigers?

Unread postby Han » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:53 pm

Yeah I know. But theres something about tumblr that irks me. Maybe because its so 'loud', perpetuate many things that are straight up false in a matter of fact manner and shows up in r/badhistory an awful lot of times but oh well.

Oh I definitely agreed that Ma Chao was an awful individual. But I believe, along with his contemporaries and various historians that Ma Chao was a capable and proven talent.
Liu Bei did nothing wrong.
Han
Changshi

Previous

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium Archives