Tell us something interesting about yourself

Best threads of The Pub, for your viewing pleasure.

Re: Tell us something interesting about yourself

Unread postby Sun Fin » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:21 pm

My accent doesn't fit in with TOWIE so many people don't believe that I am from Essex. Not that bothers me to much, I now say I'm from Lampeter.
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby SunXia » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:57 pm

You actually say you're from Lampeter?? I know you go to uni there but I wouldn't say I'm from Liverpool even when I lived there!! And yeah I do hate the accents that force people to call you a liar just because you don't fall under the blanket accent!! I get called a snob by members of my family because I actually pronounce words correctly!!
If becoming enlightened or an intellectual means I must become arrogant and coldly cynical about the world around me then I'd gladly remain a fool for the rest of my life!!

I'm Out4Marriage!!!Are You??

It is a CHOICE!!
SunXia
Warrior Princess
Warrior Princess

Location: Keeping Evils from this world at bay...with a smile!!

Unread postby Sun Fin » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:07 pm

Yeah until they question the lack of a welsh accent and it becomes all one big joke :lol:
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby SunXia » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:16 pm

OH right!! Lol well there's a lack of Essex accent too what do you do then?? Does it become a joke??
If becoming enlightened or an intellectual means I must become arrogant and coldly cynical about the world around me then I'd gladly remain a fool for the rest of my life!!

It is a CHOICE!!
SunXia
Warrior Princess
Warrior Princess

Unread postby Mitsunari » Wed May 01, 2013 9:29 am

Since living in Wales I've perfected the accent (bwahahaha Finley lol) but it tends to vary a lot...from the Valleys it's very rapid and broad, from Newport, Cardiff and that region it's just plain odd...out here in Carmarthenshire it's broad but softer, and of course, they break into actual Welsh randomly up here.

It's definitely an interesting journey trying to learn actual Welsh.
''Even through the darkest of days, this fire burns, always...''
Mitsunari
Akaoni of the Red Fire Unit

Location: Facing the hoardes of Darkness, with a sword in my hand and a fire in my heart...

Unread postby Sun Fin » Wed May 01, 2013 9:38 am

Mitsunari wrote:Since living in Wales I've perfected the accent (bwahahaha Finley lol) but it tends to vary a lot...from the Valleys it's very rapid and broad, from Newport, Cardiff and that region it's just plain odd...out here in Carmarthenshire it's broad but softer, and of course, they break into actual Welsh randomly up here.

I was back in Essex for Easter and ordering a pint in my local pub and the barman asks casually,
"So where are you from?"
"I live just up the road." I replied
"Nahhhhhhhh, thats not it"
"Well I go to university in Wales..."
To my horror he comes back with, "Ah thats what I can hear, you've got a welsh twang!"

I didn't know whether to laugh or cry :?
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby SunXia » Wed May 01, 2013 2:37 pm

I regularly get this from customers: "So what part of Canada/America are you from...."

I always splutter "Uh...Ireland" because they never ask "Are you American" they skip that part!!

It is a CHOICE!!
SunXia
Warrior Princess
Warrior Princess

Unread postby Mitsunari » Thu May 02, 2013 5:20 pm

Sun Fin wrote:
Mitsunari wrote:Since living in Wales I've perfected the accent (bwahahaha Finley lol) but it tends to vary a lot...from the Valleys it's very rapid and broad, from Newport, Cardiff and that region it's just plain odd...out here in Carmarthenshire it's broad but softer, and of course, they break into actual Welsh randomly up here.

I was back in Essex for Easter and ordering a pint in my local pub and the barman asks casually,
"So where are you from?"
"I live just up the road." I replied
"Nahhhhhhhh, thats not it"
"Well I go to university in Wales..."
To my horror he comes back with, "Ah thats what I can hear, you've got a welsh twang!"

I didn't know whether to laugh or cry :?

Embrace the welsh-ness, young Valley-Walker, haha...next year it'll be 'Aye. chuck us a pint'a Carling butty, if i's flat and headless mind eww'll be the same in 30 sehcands...' :wink:
''Even through the darkest of days, this fire burns, always...''
Mitsunari
Akaoni of the Red Fire Unit

Location: Facing the hoardes of Darkness, with a sword in my hand and a fire in my heart...

Unread postby Shu Ryorin » Thu May 02, 2013 7:39 pm

I realized last night that every paper I have written since entering grad school has been about monsters, gender, or both.

I am okay with this.
"Only dummies call people dummy, dummy!"
-some fairy in "Breath of Fire III"

Grad school is hard, you guys.
Shu Ryorin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Location: Canada, wandering the less-frozen-than-Alaska-but-still-cold wastes of grad school

Unread postby Striga » Fri May 03, 2013 2:00 am

Shu Ryorin wrote:I realized last night that every paper I have written since entering grad school has been about monsters, gender, or both.

I am okay with this.

What kind of study are you going into that has grad papers on monsters? :O
"Immense power is fun! You should try it sometime." -Syndra (favourite quote XD)
Striga
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to The Pub, Timeless Threads