Where do you live?

Best threads of The Pub, for your viewing pleasure.

Re: Where do you live?

Unread postby WeiWenDi » Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:11 pm

I like snow. [<3]

Jake wrote:So, I'm from Finland, and the so called "state" what you have in the States, is Pohjois-Savo (Northern Savo, in English), and the city is so called "central" of the state, Kuopio. Althought I have never lived inside the actual town, I have always wanted to. But well, I live outside the actual town in little place which has it's street address called as Levänen (some foreign computers may not show the finnish letter ä [as taken complicately in the keyboard with the two dots above the a = ä]) - it's a very nice place to live, even thought the distance to the city is 6.5 kilometres (as in miles, it's somewhere around 4.038 miles) and everywhere else somewhere around two kilometres. But althought, I enjoy living here.

Finland is a really cool country (in more than one sense of the word) - I spent three weeks in Oulu overseeing some field experiments for our bio lab, which is admittedly a ways further north of where you're at, but still a beautiful town. (I came during July, so I'm afraid I didn't get much sleep...) I also got to visit some friends of mine in Jyväskylä while I was there - some more hills and lakes down there, also really beautiful but in a different way.

I'm afraid I haven't been to Kuopio, though... is it about the same geography as Jyväskylä?
Some more blood, Chekov. The needle won't hurt, Chekov. Take off your shirt, Chekov. Roll over, Chekov. Breathe deeply, Chekov. Blood sample, Chekov! Marrow sample, Chekov! Skin sample, Chekov! If I live long enough... I'm going to run out of samples.
WeiWenDi
Hedgehog Emperor

Unread postby James » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:04 pm

Jake wrote:Firstly, for James. Is it nice to live in California? Few of my friends have visited there, and they said it's nice place to travel to. Is it nice place to live?

There's something timeless and incredible about living in the Bay Area. San Francisco is probably the most incredible place in all the world and I have loved every moment of my life I've spent in and around it. California, too, has been an amazing experience for all the six years I've lived here. It is screwed up politically, impossible to run reliably, and governed by anything but sound reason, but man oh man is it an incredible place to live. I know only the bay area, though.

I've heard people say similar things about Manhattan.

I'm not the only person who feels this way. Even radical talk-show host Michael Savage, known well for his catch-line "liberalism is a mental disorder," lives in San Francisco [San Fransicko] and absolutely loves the city. I can understand that. He's surrounded by all he despises, but yet the incredible city and its culture are enough to outweigh the cost.

I'm moving back to Utah in one week. I will miss California as a place to live and experience life.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Jake » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:19 pm

Nice to hear that James, because in the future I have planned to spent a week, or two (considering to the amount of money I own at that moment) in California or L.A.

WeiWenDi wrote:Finland is a really cool country (in more than one sense of the word) - I spent three weeks in Oulu overseeing some field experiments for our bio lab, which is admittedly a ways further north of where you're at, but still a beautiful town. (I came during July, so I'm afraid I didn't get much sleep...) I also got to visit some friends of mine in Jyväskylä while I was there - some more hills and lakes down there, also really beautiful but in a different way.

I'm afraid I haven't been to Kuopio, though... is it about the same geography as Jyväskylä?

It's the most pleasant thing to hear that almost all of the foregners who visit Finland say it's a very beautiful at the time of Winter and Summer. Glad you liked the country.

I'm not sure what you exactly meant with the geography, but if you mean the lakes and hills, it's very beautiful, maybe 15 or 25 kilometres away from the city, where in example my aunt lives. If you meant something else, please inform. Anyway, Kuopio is in overall a very nice place to live, or even it's only meaning visiting.

Oh! I noticed you mentioned that you like snow, so thought to inform you a bit. Even if you're visiting the city at the winter (yes, still talking about Kuopio) it's very nice to see when it's dark and all the lights on and things like these. And from the town you can see clearly a few hundred meters tall building named Kuopiotorni (as translated: Tower of Kuopio, Kuopio-tower) which is a very beautiful landmark at the time of winter, because every time of the year when it gets dark earlier, they decorate the tip of the tower with all kinds of colorful lamps and all things like these. The following picture is little one but only one I could find of the towr at wintertime.

Notice that it isn't decorated, but I could take a picture and send you it with a PM to you sometime when I'm next time visiting the city.

Very beautiful thing to see in the dark times of winter.
Puhkon silmäni, että näkisin
En tahdo nähdä, mutta näen sen väkisin
Runtelen korvani, jotta kuulisin
En ymmärrä, mutta kuulen sen väkisin
Jake
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Ding Feng » Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:48 pm

Virginia...extremely sick of it and want to move! :P
"Know thy enemy and know thy self, find naught to fear in 100 battles. Know not thy enemy, but know thy self, find victory and defeat in equal measure. Know thy enemy, but know not thy self, find defeat in every battle." -Sun Tzu
Ding Feng
Academic

Unread postby tofu » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:55 am

Wow so many people are from America.
I'm from Australia. :)
"His head looks as though it was stuck on a pole for sale," said Guan Yu, just glancing over the army at his feet.

"O green-eyed boy! O purple-bearded rat! Do you know me?"
tofu
Scholar

Unread postby brinapingu » Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:28 am

I'm from Sarawak, Malaysia - and no, we don't live on top of trees :)
brinapingu
Tyro

Unread postby Koei Girl » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:18 pm

Concord/Clayton Border-- NorCal
Koei Girl
Initiate

Unread postby HowSwiftThySword » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:37 pm

Beirut, Lebanon.
(Lebanon is a country in the Middle East, and Beirut is the capital of Lebanon, for those of you who don't know).
Quote of the Day:

"Someday I'll strangle you with your own beard, Cao Cao!" - Dong Zhou
HowSwiftThySword
Scholar

Unread postby SunXia » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:24 am

I should update that I've now moved back to Ireland!! I love it but I miss my independence!!
If becoming enlightened or an intellectual means I must become arrogant and coldly cynical about the world around me then I'd gladly remain a fool for the rest of my life!!

I'm Out4Marriage!!!Are You??

It is a CHOICE!!
SunXia
Warrior Princess
Warrior Princess

Location: Keeping Evils from this world at bay...with a smile!!

Unread postby Human5 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:57 am

i live in the southern united states.
Human5
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to The Pub, Timeless Threads