What do you hate?

Best threads of The Pub, for your viewing pleasure.

Re: What do you hate?

Unread postby FoxWithWings » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:48 pm

Shikanosuke:

I live in Virgina, I live in a very conservative area. I am still criticized for following my faith so strictly. The grand majority of those criticisms have come from nonbelievers.

Anyways, Christians are always being challenged, following the faith is difficult, like Sun Fin has said.
"There's no one I'd rather be, than me" -Ralph
FoxWithWings
Master

Unread postby Shikanosuke » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:46 pm

Fledgling Dragon wrote:Shikanosuke:

I live in Virgina, I live in a very conservative area. I am still criticized for following my faith so strictly. The grand majority of those criticisms have come from nonbelievers.

Sure, you may get flack from your peers. Especially if you engage them in theological conversations. But I don't really believe you are persecuted whatsoever. The US is insanely tolerant if not encouraging of faith and faith practice. I myself am from the Bible Belt, and you don't know what stigma or intolerance is until you're a minority faith or ardent atheist. In America hearing Christians complain about persecution is like hearing white males complain about white male privilege.

Anyways, Christians are always being challenged, following the faith is difficult, like Sun Fin has said.

I agreed with Sun Fin because he linked it to human nature. But don't blame it on others.
Shikanosuke
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby FoxWithWings » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:24 am

I'm not blaming others, not at all. And I am AGREEING with Sun Fin. Being a true Christian is difficult because we battle sin, which is in our nature to commit.

Persecution is hostility and ill-treatment based on religious or cultural reasons. So yeah, I'm pretty sure I'm being persecuted. Do I believe I'm being treated horribly and that my life is in danger? Assuredly not, but I'm still being persecuted, technically.
FoxWithWings
Master

Unread postby Shikanosuke » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:38 am

Fledgling Dragon wrote:I'm not blaming others, not at all. And I am AGREEING with Sun Fin. Being a true Christian is difficult because we battle sin, which is in our nature to commit.

And I have no problem at all with that sentiment.

Persecution is hostility and ill-treatment based on religious or cultural reasons. So yeah, I'm pretty sure I'm being persecuted. Do I believe I'm being treated horribly and that my life is in danger? Assuredly not, but I'm still being persecuted, technically.

It may fit the definition, but it lack some significance. The most you suffer, especially in the bible belt, is jests at your expense. In states where we have practicing Mennonites I don't think you'll receive much actual persecution.
Shikanosuke
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby FoxWithWings » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:52 am

Ah, okay, I misunderstood.

I know that very well. My situation could be much, much, worse.
FoxWithWings
Master

Unread postby Mitsunari » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:21 am

Shikanosuke wrote:
Mitsunari wrote:
Ditto. I didn't dissect a few remarks posted in a relaxed forum sub-section, with a haughty manner befitting someone with a superiority complex - and then perpetuate it with more 'well, my source material views are right, yours are wrong' crap.

No one has ever brought up source materials, sans an odd question about 'hey you ideas, did you get them from a textbook"? That isn't what you did? No what you seem to have done is thrown atheists under the bus and try 'lol' at them with a poorly thought out idea by advising someone to yell lounder than the next idiot.

I didn't realise I had to justify my life experiences and their relevance to hatred, to you, Shikanosuke. And no, I'm not interested in any more of your pontificating rhetoric, I shall refuse to read it. Thanks.

No one has brought up 'life experiences' but you, and I'm still not sure why they keep cropping up as something of import. But cool, don't read or read. Also don't bandwagon jump all over atheists until you understand what atheism is, and seemingly, what theism is.

I don't particularly care about the correct, source material, textbook definition of ANYTHING you're pouring at me, Shikanosuke. I'm not a scholar anymore, or an academic, and I haven't been for a long, long time and my advise, when followed, doesn't seem to set many people on the wrong path (I intend to begin studying to become a drugs counsellor in January, you see).

You're far too myopic to consider anything beyond your own academic learnings I.E. life experiences, so this is where I stop typing before I get a warning.

However, I'd like to emphasise your 'complex' afore I conclude, because according to you I'm an 'idiot' because my advise differs from yours. You have a lot to learn, my friend, despite your irresistible intellect. A LOT.

That is all.
''Even through the darkest of days, this fire burns, always...''
Mitsunari
Akaoni of the Red Fire Unit

Location: Facing the hoardes of Darkness, with a sword in my hand and a fire in my heart...

Unread postby Sun Fin » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:42 am

Shikanosuke wrote:Absolutely. But here its often just a rallying cry for conservative politics.

Our right wing party haven't tried the religious propaganda on in the same way the Republicans have because being Christian isn't popular here. Campbell famously told an interviewer who asked Blair about his faith 'We don't do God' because Christianity is a vote loser here.

Shikanosuke wrote:Well, I certainly find the number disparity pretty fascinating. But the fact that this disparity therefore leads to violence and actual persecution against what is the most Western faith there is surprising.

People react badly to what is different to them. Whether it was being mocking for believing in a higher being, or being excluded because I didn't want to get drunk or have sex or being physically abused because when asked I said I disagreed with homosexual actions. It might be the 'most western religion' but there are many things in it which run contrary to the mind-frame of the intolerant liberal left.
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

What do you hate?

Unread postby Shikanosuke » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:18 am

Mitsunari wrote:
I don't particularly care about the correct, source material, textbook definition of ANYTHING you're pouring at me, Shikanosuke.

I'm not sure what your obsessions with source material is. No one is pouring source material or definitions at you.

I'm not a scholar anymore, or an academic, and I haven't been for a long, long time

Alright? You don't have to be academic to have this conversation. I mainly just defended atheists and said its probably not best to tell kids to yell back at other kids.

and my advise, when followed, doesn't seem to set many people on the wrong path (I intend to begin studying to become a drugs counsellor in January, you see).

Uh. Ok ? Your advice just didn't seem mature to me.

You're far too myopic to consider anything beyond your own academic learnings I.E. life experiences, so this is where I stop typing before I get a warning.

I think I'm quite able to see other points of view. I'm not sure what life experiences have to do with anything.

However, I'd like to emphasise your 'complex' afore I conclude, because according to you I'm an 'idiot' because my advise differs from yours. You have a lot to learn, my friend, despite your irresistible intellect. A LOT.

That is all.

To be clear I didn't call you an idiot, nor did I intend for you take that from the exchange. So if you did, we've miscommunicated. What I said was you're advice is essentially telling kids to yell louder than the idiot next to him.

Sun fin wrote:
Our right wing party haven't tried the religious propaganda on in the same way the Republicans have because being Christian isn't popular here.

Here when you can't pray in schools it becomes a human right violation where conservatives think they're about to be the next sacrifices.

People react badly to what is different to them. Whether it was being mocking for believing in a higher being, or being excluded because I didn't want to get drunk or have sex or being physically abused because when asked I said I disagreed with homosexual actions. It might be the 'most western religion' but there are many things in it which run contrary to the mind-frame of the intolerant liberal left.

I can easily see school age kids mocking the perceived 'goody two shoes' as it were. That's endemic in kids. Outside of that is weird.
Last edited by Shikanosuke on Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Shikanosuke
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Mitsunari » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:52 am

@Shikanosuke

Since I have neither the time, patience or inclination to perpetuate this any longer, I'll ask you this:

Do you have children?

If you do, fair enough, if you don't; do NOT preach to me about 'mature' advice when you have no emotional frame of reference.

Advice is subjective, person to person, it's not a rigid formula - you'd do well to remember that.
''Even through the darkest of days, this fire burns, always...''
Mitsunari
Akaoni of the Red Fire Unit

Location: Facing the hoardes of Darkness, with a sword in my hand and a fire in my heart...

Unread postby Shikanosuke » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:59 pm

Mitsunari wrote:@Shikanosuke

Since I have neither the time, patience or inclination to perpetuate this any longer, I'll ask you this:

Do you have children?

If you do, fair enough, if you don't; do NOT preach to me about 'mature' advice when you have no emotional frame of reference.

I don't have children of my own. I have taught children, however, and have nieces and nephews. I'm not sure what difference this makes though. I mean, not having children isn't a requisite for telling them not to injure other children or put their hand in a blender. So if this is a bit at 'well you dont have children, so you can't speak to the issue', then I'm not buying.

Advice is subjective, person to person, it's not a rigid formula - you'd do well to remember that.

That is the thing, it really isn't that person-to-person. If you think your advice is sage, fine. Defend it, don't prattle on about 'emotional frame of references' and 'life experiences'. As it is I found the advice you gave to be immature and not productive.

The situation as I found it was that Fledgling alleged he was being challenged/belittled/harassed by peers concerning his faith. Your advice, to 'fight fire with fire', is essentially telling him to do the same back to his peers. That is immature to me, and isn't productive in resolving the situation. If you feel differently, that is ok and I'm open to hearing why. But hearing about how you're being preached to in a haughty demeanor by someone without kids (and therefore cant voice an opinion?) is boring.
Shikanosuke
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to The Pub, Timeless Threads