Timeless Threads: Nominations

Best threads of The Pub, for your viewing pleasure.

Unread postby lessthanpleased » Tue Mar 08, 2005 6:19 am

Akroma wrote:Game spam topics arent quite Timeless, neither is wrestling really.

For shame, daddy, for shame.

To quote the WWE Champion:

JBL wrote:This body is temporary, this belt is eternal!

Wrestling in its "pro" form has survived in America and the occidental world for over one hundred and thirty years. Its roots extend back to the gladiatorial games of Ancient Rome (which scholars now believe were "predetermined" before Rome's slide into decadence).

That makes professional wrestling over 1000 years older than SGYY, by my calendar.

I second the nomination for the "Pro-Wrestling" thread in spite of Akroma's veto, in the vain hope that we can see the beauty of wrestling in the timeless threads section.

-neal

PS: I'm writing my master's thesis on aesthetics and pro-wrestling, so I had to butt in.
lessthanpleased
Love Swami

Unread postby Liu Yuante » Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:01 am

Favorite Musical Artist(s). Third version of the same thing I've seen in the last year, not popular enough to be generating new posts daily for months but certainly popular enough that it keeps getting recreated and then extensively replied to. One thread, housing everyone's responses, instead of having each version auto-prune after the current active membership posts their favorites and then moves on, would also be more informative to the curious and probably be more likely to generate actual discussion instead of just people listing things, if for no other reason than because there would be more accumulated content to respond to. Bottom line is if a thread idea keeps coming back, over and over, it probably is something that should be kept around.

Adrian
Liu Yuante
绯红王

Unread postby brigadier liao hua » Sat Jun 25, 2005 6:42 pm

The one about if you would have your genitalia pierced it's very funny :D
brigadier liao hua
Langzhong

Unread postby Iain » Fri Jul 01, 2005 5:55 am

brigadier liao hua wrote:The one about if you would have your genitalia pierced it's very funny :D
Funny to some perhaps but hardly timeless.
Iain
Lord of Nanchang

Unread postby Jordan » Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:16 am

Wrestling in its "pro" form has survived in America and the occidental world for over one hundred and thirty years. Its roots extend back to the gladiatorial games of Ancient Rome (which scholars now believe were "predetermined" before Rome's slide into decadence).

Actually I think wrestling started as a sport far before that. I think that during the Olympics in Ancient Greece, wrestling (perhaps in the nude) was an event. In the Odyssey by Homer I think Odysseus wrestles with people. In any case it really does not matter. I think that wrestling is a very popular thing today and has always been very popular. I also agree that it would be a suitable "timeless thread."
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Iain » Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:51 am

Perhaps real wrestling that isnt linked to the massive entertainment market of commercial television then you could call it a historical event. The WWE offers no such history though, and browsing through the relevent Pub thread it only appeals to a very select few really.

Thank you for your suggestion though. :wink:
Iain
Lord of Nanchang

Unread postby Jade_Moon_Dragon » Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:03 pm

how about "what song are you listening to" thread. cause people listen to differents musics as time goes by.
Jade_Moon_Dragon
Langzhong

Unread postby Jordan » Mon Sep 05, 2005 12:23 pm

Jade Moon Dragon, you beat me to it. I was just about to suggest the same thing. So if it counts for anything I nominate that as well.
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Marc » Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:48 pm

I'd also like to nominate the 'What Song Are You Listening To?' thread. That fact it's running onto around 40 pages can't hurt. :wink:
Roses are red, violets are blue,
Omae wa mo shindeiru
Marc
Robot In Disguise
Robot In Disguise

Unread postby urbanterrorist » Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:58 pm

I'd also like to nominate the 'What Song Are You Listening To?' thread. That fact it's running onto around 40 pages can't hurt. Wink

I third that. I like that thread a lot.
They miss the whisper that runs any day in your mind,
"Who are you really, wanderer?" and the answer you have to give
no matter how dark and cold the world around you is:
"Maybe I'm a king. -William Stafford
urbanterrorist
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to The Pub, Timeless Threads