Official STAR WARS Thread

Best threads of The Pub, for your viewing pleasure.

Re: Official STAR WARS Thread

Unread postby Cao Hong 14 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:37 pm

so the series goes past when he escaped from death in episode VI?
"Change is the law of life. And those who only look to the past or present are certain to miss the future. "
- President John F. Kennedy
Cao Hong 14
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:48 pm

The series goes like 40 years after 'A New Hope' and is still going further. I haven't read that far yet.
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand and my tumblr to see if I have reviewed it!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby S.Teague » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:58 pm

I like the Yuuzhan Vong stories. I thought they were really cleaver for a new villin. I read half of that series, but never finished. So I have no clue how the repuplic reclaimed Coruscant. But the way they made the Vong so demonic was fasinating. They were all tatooed and self mutilated. After 'Shatterpoint' I like those books best. They were definatly diffrent.
But as far as Boba -v- Jango: Have you ever seen Star Trek Nemesis? It deals with the same idea of what makes a man who he is. Is it genetics or life? I tend to believe a little of both is involved.
S.Teague
Academic

Unread postby Sun Fin » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:10 pm

I prefer the clean up of the Empire period myself.
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand and my tumblr to see if I have reviewed it!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shikanosuke » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:00 pm

Cao Hong 14 wrote:so the series goes past when he escaped from death in episode VI?

Sun Fin wrote:The series goes like 40 years after 'A New Hope' and is still going further. I haven't read that far yet.

Actually, the series goes up until 137 after ANH (depending on how you're demarcating when ANH took place). And yea its still going. Legacy is the farthest so far.

Sun Fin wrote:I never thought that Darth Maul was that good. He seemed to me to be too much about brute strength, an able servant but I couldn't imagine him being the Spider in the middle of the Sith's universal net.

I agree Darth Maul served Darth Sidious more as a enforcer than as a Sith mastermind. However, I think writers abused Maul. He never really got too much time to develop as a character. His appearences, both in the movies and the EU, are consistently nothing but sabotage and assassination missions. That said, he also was exceedingly skilled at them. To do so, he had to be intelligent. I'm not saying he could've been trained to be the next Sidious either though. Actually, it makes sense for Sidious to have Maul. Unlike Bane, who was highly concerned with training a worthy successor, Sidious wanted merely to prolong his life and rule eternal. Apprentices were not seen as subjects to be taught how to perpetuate the Rule of Two, but rather as tools to an end.
Shikanosuke
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Human5 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:16 am

my fav is obi wan kenobi.
Human5
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shikanosuke » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:08 am

Human5 wrote:my fav is obi wan kenobi.

Kenobi is ok. He is a good guy, but full of a few faults himself.
Shikanosuke
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Elitemsh » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:56 am

Shikanosuke wrote:Kenobi is ok. He is a good guy, but full of a few faults himself.

What kind of faults may i ask? He was one of the best jedi of his time am i right? Overall he seems very well balanced in all areas. He could fight on the front lines and he possessed intelligence and wisdom. In his prime i see Yoda as the only jedi who was superior overall. He was also given a great burden in having to train and mentor Anakin. I think he did very well under the circumstances.
''I've never fought for anyone but myself. I've got no purpose in life. No ultimate goal. It's only when I'm cheating death on the battlefield. The only time I feel truly alive.'' ~Solid Snake
Elitemsh
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:16 am

Chewbacca is still my favourite! Although I do like Anakin, as in Han and Leia's child not Darth Vader.
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shritzu » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:21 am

No doubt he is a good jedi....But he is human...No?
The task he was given was beyond any jedi his rank or lower...
At times though he proved himself to be too critical(anakin's words i believe)his weakness aided anakin's arrogance as well...
For one as yoda to be critical... respect would be returned and error understood, this is because of what there is to show for his ability...for obi wan to be critical without the power that anakin respects to back it up, leads him over his head...his promise was.....for the most part misguided for me.Qi gon jin placed too heavy a burden on one with soo much too learn and obi wan accepted...this is one of his faults-He was over eager.Secondly he stubbornly insisted on his training-another fault is how stubborn he can be...In the end his greatest fault is that he is human...
Bleh
Shritzu
Master

PreviousNext

Return to The Pub, Timeless Threads