Official STAR WARS Thread

Best threads of The Pub, for your viewing pleasure.

Re: Official STAR WARS Thread

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:39 pm

Watched Attack of the Clones aka film 2. Starts quite badly, not so much the plot but the acting is all round bad be it from Portman and Hayden Christensen or more experienced figures like McGregor. They didn't click as a group, lines feel unreal when delivered, Jar Jar Binks is still around and still annoying when on screen. That does improve a bit and action isn't too bad,there are some good scenes
like on that clone planet.
, only one strand carries emotional power
Anakin's mother
but the romance....

Scenes between Anakin and Padme do work as a couple, the young cast does click together as the film goes on but overall, it is hard to buy into it as an overall romance. Why would Padme fall in love with mr creepy whine whine pants? Anakin is clearly still a stroppy whiny teenager who has yet to mature, is that Padme falls for people who whine a lot about how life is sooooo unfair? Is it the creepy stares, the "I always dreamed of you", the inappropriate touching. Padme may be headstrong but it is hard to see why she would fall for Anakin.

Most of the film was 5 or 5.5 for me but it does really pick up near the end. Usually the action heavy stuff is where I get bored in films but the action was well done, there was a bit of tension, a limited dose of humour. Some big lightsaber duels. Those I found a whole lot more fun then the rest of the movie.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby lcklasman » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:45 pm

Dong Zhou wrote:Watched Attack of the Clones aka film 2. Starts quite badly, not so much the plot but the acting is all round bad be it from Portman and Hayden Christensen or more experienced figures like McGregor. They didn't click as a group, lines feel unreal when delivered, Jar Jar Binks is still around and still annoying when on screen. That does improve a bit and action isn't too bad,there are some good scenes
like on that clone planet.
, only one strand carries emotional power
Anakin's mother
but the romance....

Scenes between Anakin and Padme do work as a couple, the young cast does click together as the film goes on but overall, it is hard to buy into it as an overall romance. Why would Padme fall in love with mr creepy whine whine pants? Anakin is clearly still a stroppy whiny teenager who has yet to mature, is that Padme falls for people who whine a lot about how life is sooooo unfair? Is it the creepy stares, the "I always dreamed of you", the inappropriate touching. Padme may be headstrong but it is hard to see why she would fall for Anakin.

Most of the film was 5 or 5.5 for me but it does really pick up near the end. Usually the action heavy stuff is where I get bored in films but the action was well done, there was a bit of tension, a limited dose of humour. Some big lightsaber duels. Those I found a whole lot more fun then the rest of the movie.

I am a major star wars fan, and it was brought down from my parents, which is why I am named Luke. I love the first three movies. They are truly revolutionary in my opinion. Prequels? Hate The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones. Jar Jar and the terrible acting really hurt them. I do find Revenge of the Sith to be decent however, it is definitely a step up from the other two in the prequels.
lcklasman
Initiate

Unread postby Sun Fin » Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:25 pm

Did anyone see this?

I knew they were breaking from the EU but this is a step too far... Not happy.
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby SunXia » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:04 am

Well we haven't had it confirmed at all, she could be batpoo crazy and this is set after A New Hope so its nothing to do with later movies breaking from the EU...
If becoming enlightened or an intellectual means I must become arrogant and coldly cynical about the world around me then I'd gladly remain a fool for the rest of my life!!

I'm Out4Marriage!!!Are You??

It is a CHOICE!!
SunXia
Warrior Princess
Warrior Princess

Location: Keeping Evils from this world at bay...with a smile!!

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:17 pm

lcklasman wrote: Prequels? Hate The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones. Jar Jar and the terrible acting really hurt them. I do find Revenge of the Sith to be decent however, it is definitely a step up from the other two in the prequels.

That is pretty much my memory of them as well
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:18 pm

Watched the third one Revenge of the Sith. The only decent one of the prequels though it lacks a top phase of the second one's ending phase. Lots of twists and turns, action a bit flat, the charismatic Chancellor and Obi-Wan make good lead characters, Anakin is less annoying but at a "he is there, he does stuff" level for me, Padme sidelined but sweet. One strong moment
the death of the Jedi's
, feel the ending (but before the set up for the original era) phase had very good ideas but finally to quite land it. It was a nice film
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Apollo Kenobi » Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:14 am

In revenge of the sith, they did and re read many scenes.... That shows, that Lucas and Co. Weren't really sure what they were up to.....

For me the list goes like this:

Episode IV > Episode V > Episode VI > Episode III > Episode I > Episode II

Really looking forward to Christmas this year...

I hope Disney doesn't mess it up, though the trailers looked promising...
Apollo Kenobi
Tyro

Unread postby lcklasman » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:31 pm

Apollo Kenobi wrote:In revenge of the sith, they did and re read many scenes.... That shows, that Lucas and Co. Weren't really sure what they were up to.....

For me the list goes like this:

Episode IV > Episode V > Episode VI > Episode III > Episode I > Episode II

Really looking forward to Christmas this year...

I hope Disney doesn't mess it up, though the trailers looked promising...

Honestly I find Episode V to be slightly better than IV. But that's not to say IV is a bad film. All three of the original trilogy are fantastic, but V took the cake for me.
lcklasman
Initiate

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:43 pm

Saw New Hope, is intresting to see what of the set/effects/costumers has aged well and what hasn't. Great music, bit of a slow starter but once it gets going, an enjoyable adventure tale with good villains like Governor Tarkin, good action scenes including the tense finale
bar
the big duel
. The goodies are a bit of a mixed back, I like Obi though prefer McGregor's to Guinness version, Luke is a bit bland. Han Solo and Leia at least have humour and spark which takes the edge off their jerk tendencies.
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Huang Bob » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:45 am

Sun Fin wrote:I knew they were breaking from the EU but this is a step too far... Not happy.

It has it's advantages. Chewie is back from the dead. Should they choose to use him, Jacen's death is also wiped out. I'm all right with turning the EU into non-canon "Legends," I just hope they realize they need to do a little fan service and bring certain EU characters into the new canon. Specifically, Mara (her marriage to Luke and their son Ben), the Solo kids, Kyle Katarn, Thrawn.
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.
Huang Bob
United Abominations

PreviousNext

Return to The Pub, Timeless Threads