All-Time Favourite Quotes (Anything)

Best threads of The Pub, for your viewing pleasure.

Re: All-Time Favourite Quotes (Anything)

Unread postby Cao Chao » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:54 pm

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain . . . Time to die."
曹操曰:宁教我负天下人,休教天下人负我!
Cao Chao
Langzhong

Unread postby TooMuchBaijiu » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:05 am

Disce, puer, aut abi - motto of Paisley Grammar School, Scotland. "Learn, child, or GTFO" *

*some artistic licence.

And this motto for the the US Navy's Landing Signal Officer School doesn't need translating:

"Rectum non Bustus"
I don't write fanfic, but if I did it would involve Zhou Yu and Zheng He fighting to win the heart of Lai Choi San. Then I'd make them join forces to fight Ming the Merciless, who secretly works for Master Li. I'd squeeze Lu Bu in there somehow.
TooMuchBaijiu
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby MhiHayoli » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:32 am

"One small breeze is enough to lift a leaf back to the sky before it touches the earth." - Mr. Ming (Novel - Bob Morane)

I really liked this one. Ming said it after leaving Bob to drown in a room floated by the Thames water. He couldn't kill Bob Morane himself, because he was saved his life once. Bob refused to help Mr. Ming and stood against his ways of dealing with the 'corruption' of the west lands.

I loved this quote. We read this book in class once (because it was my teachers favourite). To think yourself into the character was hard, but I could feel this tearing feeling while Mr. Ming said these words. He was a main villain of the story, but he had honor.
"I do not speak to change minds. I do not trust in the sweetening lies you speak with false dignity. I care nothing for your worldly treasures and pity you all for you need them to feel value in life."
-LordBloodySoul-
MhiHayoli
Assistant

Location: I am now traveling with Lord Lu Bu, Tao and Umi Mari in search for a new home base.

Unread postby Shen Ai » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:27 pm

"Before I do anything, I think to myself 'Would an idiot do that?' and if he does, I do the opposite of that thing" - Dwight Schrute.
I've a brave warrior in my army. Shen Ai is his name, and he can slay this Hua Xiong.

Wei has no more famous commanders, Shen Ai takes lead of the vanguard!

Even a commoner on the street knows what Shen Ai is thinking!
Shen Ai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby dan99990 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:31 pm

"Man, because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then he dies having never really lived." - The Dalai Lama
“People generally see what they look for, and hear what they listen for.” - Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird
dan99990
Student

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:52 pm

dan99990 wrote:"Man, because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then he dies having never really lived." - The Dalai Lama

Great minds think alike! :D

Zhuanyong wrote:Food for thought:

The Dalai Lama, when asked what surprised him most about humanity, answered "Man. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."

I love this quote.

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shu Ryorin » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:56 am

"Cthulu comin' back, yo."
--Ts'ao Jian, paraphrasing a passage of the Necronomicon about five minutes ago.
"Only dummies call people dummy, dummy!"
-some fairy in "Breath of Fire III"

Grad school is hard, you guys.
Shu Ryorin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Location: Canada, wandering the less-frozen-than-Alaska-but-still-cold wastes of grad school

Unread postby MhiHayoli » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:05 pm

"Behind every great man is a woman rolling her eyes." - Jim Carrey (try to image this with Cao Pi and Zhen Ji)
"Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive." - Elbert Hubbard

"You are getting old when you enjoy remembering things more than doing them."

And some none funny ones XD

"Life is a dream for the wise, a game for the fool, a comedy for the rich, a tragedy for the poor." - Sholom Aleichem
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool." - William Shakespeare (my all time favourite from Shakespeare! )
"Life's Tragedy is that we get old to soon and wise too late." - Benjamin Franklin

And some of my Lao Tzu Teachings book!

"For the wise man looks into space and he knows there is no limited dimensions."
"He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened."
"Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage."
"Anticipate the difficult by managing the easy."
"I do not speak to change minds. I do not trust in the sweetening lies you speak with false dignity. I care nothing for your worldly treasures and pity you all for you need them to feel value in life."
-LordBloodySoul-
MhiHayoli
Assistant

Location: I am now traveling with Lord Lu Bu, Tao and Umi Mari in search for a new home base.

Unread postby Xiahou Jia » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:12 pm

Being smart doesn't hurt. And a little luck now and then is nice. But the key is patience and hard work.

It's the most amazing thing. Yesterday it was hard and today it's easy. Just a good night's sleep and yesterday's mysteries are today's masteries.

The result of hard work and dedication always look like luck. But you know you've earned every ounce of your success.

You've learned a lot about Cyrodill...and about yourself. It's hard to believe how ignorant you were...but now you have so much to learn.

So that's how it works. You plod along putting one foot before the other, look up, and suddenly, there you are. Right where you wanted to be all along.

All the quotes are taken from Oblivion.
Retired...
Xiahou Jia
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Tigger of Kai » Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:17 am

The other day someone was talking about how Mulan's family could have saved her from the draft just by paying a replacement, and mentioned that similar things happened during the American Civil War. (Wiki says the Enrollment Act of 1863 allowed draftees to pay $300 to a substitute who served for them.)

Contemporary diarist George Templeton Strong put it this way,
I found for my substitute a big Dutch boy of 20 or thereabouts for the moderate consideration of $1,100. My alter ego could make a good soldier if he tried. I gave him my address and told him to write to me if he found himself in the hospital or in trouble and that I would try to do what I properly could to help him.

In his documentary on the war, Ken Burns adds, "Andrew Carnegie and J.P. Morgan hired substitutes, as did two future presidents -- Chester A. Arthur and Grover Cleveland. 'Bounty jumping' became a profession. Men signed up from one district long enough to receive a reward for enlisting, then deserted to do the same elsewhere. One man repeated the process 32 times before he was caught."
Mithril! The dwarves tell no tales. But just as it was the foundation of their wealth, so also it was their destruction. They delved too greedily and too deep, and disturbed that from which they fled.
Tigger of Kai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to The Pub, Timeless Threads