All-Time Favourite Quotes (Anything)

Best threads of The Pub, for your viewing pleasure.

Re: All-Time Favourite Quotes (Anything)

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:07 pm

A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.

- George Washington

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby MhiHayoli » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:05 pm

In my PS2 version of Romance of the Three Kingdoms VIII i've caught a text failure in one quote.

I (in fact my OC Mao Kairi) went as messenger to Liu Bei for Sun Jian. (I think that was after the Yellow Turban Rebellion). She brought a gift of 1000 G, but... . Well she said it as followed.

>> "Greetings, lord Liu Bei. I am here on the request of my 'lady' Sun Jian." <<

.... .... ....

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Mao Kairi: It's not my fault if the game has issues!! Dx
"I do not speak to change minds. I do not trust in the sweetening lies you speak with false dignity. I care nothing for your worldly treasures and pity you all for you need them to feel value in life."
-LordBloodySoul-
MhiHayoli
Assistant

Location: I am now traveling with Lord Lu Bu, Tao and Umi Mari in search for a new home base.

Unread postby Nazne » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:20 am

Sounds like... RoTK VIII has some programmed gender issues with its own NPCs o_o

Somehow my favorite quotes - the ones I collect via Facebook because why the hell not - usually end up being non sequiturs like whoa. I think I might have to blame this on a childhood reading Dave Barry. Examples:

"Football is a simple game. Twenty-two men chase a ball for 90 minutes, and in the end, Germany wins."
-Gary Lineker

"The fog comes
On little cat feet.

Galumph Galumph Galumph
Crash Smash Thud."
-Anon

More seriously, I'm also fond of this analysis by a random Chinese commenter on the different portrayals of Zhuge Liang in Chinese live-action shows.

“这四版个有不同,但都有武侯的特点。
李版占仁、唐版占英、金版占巧,陆版占忠。"
Translation: "The four versions differ, but each shows a different facet of Zhuge Liang's character. The Li version, virtue; the Tang version, charisma; the Jin version, cleverness; the Lu version, loyalty."
-baidu commenter
先主復領益州牧,諸葛亮為股肱,法正為謀主,關羽、張飛、馬超為爪牙,許靖、麋竺、簡雍為賓友。
- 蜀书二 先主传
Nazne
Master

Unread postby MhiHayoli » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:19 am

Nazne wrote:Sounds like... RoTK VIII has some programmed gender issues with its own NPCs o_o

“这四版个有不同,但都有武侯的特点。
李版占仁、唐版占英、金版占巧,陆版占忠。"
Translation: "The four versions differ, but each shows a different facet of Zhuge Liang's character. The Li version, virtue; the Tang version, charisma; the Jin version, cleverness; the Lu version, loyalty."
-baidu commenter

You can say that. Funny, I've got the exact same thing with RoTK X for PS2 O_O My Bro laughed so hard that he spilled his beer over the TV :lol:

(I say! My OC's are cursed!)

This analysis is really interesting. o.o And somehow every point fits to Zhuge Liang.

I also have a collection of asian "words of wisdom" :) My sister brought me a book about 2 years ago X)

"Water can both sustain and sink a ship." << So true if you think about it O_o
"Count not what is lost, but what is left." << This one helped me getting over my grandfather's and grandmother's death... .
"Eloquence provides only persuasion, but truth buys loyalty." << on think not every person in the world seem to know... .
Last edited by MhiHayoli on Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I do not speak to change minds. I do not trust in the sweetening lies you speak with false dignity. I care nothing for your worldly treasures and pity you all for you need them to feel value in life."
-LordBloodySoul-
MhiHayoli
Assistant

Location: I am now traveling with Lord Lu Bu, Tao and Umi Mari in search for a new home base.

Unread postby Nazne » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:12 am

MhiHayoli wrote:You can say that. Funny, I've got the exact same thing with RoTK X for PS2 O_O My Bro laughed so hard that he spilled his bear over the TV :lol:

(I say! My OC's are cursed!)
"Eloquence provides only persuasion, but truth buys loyalty." << on think not every person in the world seem to know... .

Your brother has a bear? Dang o_o

(I kid, I kid)

That quote's fairly interesting in terms of RoTK - I kind of want to start applying it to some characters as examples, and see how well it matches up.
- 蜀书二 先主传
Nazne
Master

Unread postby MhiHayoli » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:02 am

Nazne wrote:
MhiHayoli wrote:You can say that. Funny, I've got the exact same thing with RoTK X for PS2 O_O My Bro laughed so hard that he spilled his bear over the TV :lol:

Your brother has a bear? Dang o_o

I shouldn't type so fast XD

I found three others that really stand out. They inspire me! (should start writing my Fan Fiction novel again!)

"Learning is like the horizon; there is no limit."
"Cowards have dreams, brave men have visions." << I can image Cao Cao saying that O_o
"Harsh words and poor reasoning never settle anything."
-LordBloodySoul-
MhiHayoli
Assistant

Unread postby Shu Ryorin » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:16 am

"After some discussion, we've concluded that there's no rational explanation for Lady Zou's song except that it was actually about the tragic love between Cao Cao and Dian Wei, which Lady Zou ruined. Also that Liu Bei is a koala."
-Nanze, in the New Three Kingdoms TV Series (2010) Discussion thread. :lol:

It is the best thing. I now want a Liu Bei koala tee-shirt. :mrgreen:
"Only dummies call people dummy, dummy!"
-some fairy in "Breath of Fire III"

Grad school is hard, you guys.
Shu Ryorin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Location: Canada, wandering the less-frozen-than-Alaska-but-still-cold wastes of grad school

Unread postby TooMuchBaijiu » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:23 am

You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred. - Woody Allen
I don't write fanfic, but if I did it would involve Zhou Yu and Zheng He fighting to win the heart of Lai Choi San. Then I'd make them join forces to fight Ming the Merciless, who secretly works for Master Li. I'd squeeze Lu Bu in there somehow.
TooMuchBaijiu
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Nazne » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:47 am

Shu Ryorin wrote:It is the best thing. I now want a Liu Bei koala tee-shirt. :mrgreen:

hahaha, thanks!

(for koala, watch ~2:40 of Ode to Liu Bei drowning himself in a river, which isn't the actual song title but is pretty accurate anyway)

And as long as I'm doing context-less assertions I might as well as drop this here:

"Also, he's convinced that if he stays a virgin until he's thirty he will become a wizard."
-friend A about friend B
- 蜀书二 先主传
Nazne
Master

Unread postby MhiHayoli » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:47 am

This one is a quote from my first fantasy novel. One of the main villians is saying it before he dies.

"I saw him... ...like... ...none could ever... ... . Save... ...save...what's left... ... . He...he's not....what he...he was.... .... . What...I...knew... ... . Son... ... . Lotesse...amin....kanu... elen ar' amin ...heru...tua lle... ... ... ... ."

The last part is elvish and is translated like: "May my guiding star and my god watch over you."
-LordBloodySoul-
MhiHayoli
Assistant

PreviousNext

Return to The Pub, Timeless Threads