All-Time Favourite Quotes (Anything)

Best threads of The Pub, for your viewing pleasure.

Re: All-Time Favourite Quotes (Anything)

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:16 am

From Archbishop Welby when asked if he walked on the Thames to get to Westminster
‘I usually do, but my staff say it’s showing off.’
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby LegendOfGuanYu » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:36 am

"Better to have wronged the world than have it wrong me." Cao Cao, Three Kingdoms
LegendOfGuanYu
Tyro

Unread postby Bush Leagues » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:40 am

LegendOfGuanYu wrote:"Better to have wronged the world than have it wrong me." Cao Cao, Three Kingdoms

It's a great quote, though I think he's pretty clearly wrong.

Anyway, some I like.

Edmund Burke wrote:All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Pretty straightforward. Quite necessary, because Evil only has to win once.

Friedrich Nietzsche wrote:He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.

Superheroes like Batman and Superman usually understand this. When you set rules for yourself, you can't break them to defeat the bad guys, because then you become the bad guys.

OK, enough philosophy. One more.

Milton Friedman wrote:Those of us who have been so fortunate as to have been born in a free society tend to take freedom for granted and regard It as a natural state of mankind. It is not. It is a rare and precious thing. Most people throughout history - most people today - have lived in conditions of tyranny and misery; not of freedom and prosperity.

I'm sure there are plenty more I really like, but I can't think of them right now.
Currently playing: Android: Netrunner LCG , Shadowrun (tabletop), and Warhammer Ancient Battle.

Pan Feng can destroy this Hua Xiong! A Han Fu ROTK IX After-Action Report.
One of the best posts ever about Pan Feng.
Bush Leagues
Scholar

Unread postby CaoCaoTsundere » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:40 am

My favorite quote is from Xiahou Dun to Cao Cao in DW6 "You are not allowed to die before you reach your dream" also Xun Yu have a remarkable quote "Never forget what is truly important for you and for that give your best" Wei is full of tsunderes :cry:
CaoCaoTsundere
Tyro

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:57 am

Former NASA administrator Mike Griffin
“If God wanted us to go to Mars, he’d have given us a Moon to practice on first.”
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby ky9ersfan » Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:47 am

An attitude of gratitude opens the portals to a richer, more abundant life.-Diane Joyce Atkinson

I am not what has happened to me, I am what I chose to become.-Carl Luna

I am the master of my fate, I am the Captain of my own soul.-Nelson Mandella
ky9ersfan
Initiate

Unread postby Hussam » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:31 pm

Saladin (Salahu Al Deen Al Ayyubi)
I warn you against shedding blood, indulging in it and making a habit of it, for blood never sleeps.

If you want to destroy any nation without war, make adultery or nudity common in the young generation.

Imam Ali ibn Abi Talib
People are of two types, they are either your brothers in faith or your equals in humanity.

There is no greater wealth than wisdom, no greater poverty than ignorance; no greater heritage than culture and no greater support than consultation.

Never make a decision in anger and never make a promise in happiness.

Ibn Taymiyyah
I will not declare anyone from this nation to be an unbeliever.

Some people have the disease of criticising all the time. They forget the good about others and only mention their faults. They are like flies that avoid the good and pure places and land on the bad and wounds. This is because of the evil within the self and the spoiled nature.

Allah will support the just state even if it is led by unbelievers, but Allah will not support the oppressive state even if it is led by believers.

Bashar Al Assad
No government in the world kills its people, unless it's led by a crazy person.
عالندا الندا الندا و الورد مفتح ع خدا
و إن ما عطيوني ياكي يا جبال العالي لهدا
Hussam
Student

Previous

Return to The Pub, Timeless Threads