What brought you into the ROTK world?

Best threads of The Pub, for your viewing pleasure.

Well?

The novel itself
7%
The Dynasty Warriors series
51%
The Kessen series
2%
The ROTK game series
19%
The television series
1%
This forum
2%
I'm Chinese, so its my nation's history
8%
Any other way?
9%

Total votes : 243

Unread postby Xiahou Cao » Tue Mar 16, 2004 1:59 pm

I had seen one of the rotk games for playstation at a store and was interested but didn't have enough money and forgot about it. A couple of years later, I tell my parents to get me a roleplaying game for my birthday or something. They get the same copy that I had looked at a couple of years ago. I played that and was interested but not addicted. A year or two later, I am buying a Playstation 2, I definitely wanted Vice City and found out they were having a sale that day. So, as an afterthought I got DW3 and didn't play it until a month later, because I was hooked to VC. Well after I beat VC I started palying DW3. I played that game for half a year. Beat it with everyone and got all the 4th level weapons. I loved it.
Xiahou Cao
Student

Unread postby Cao Meng De » Fri Jun 18, 2004 4:18 pm

I am a Chinese so this is my thing however not all Chinese knows their history, it also depends on the hours that they study on the history. But I also had a slight advantage because my grandfather was a Asian History teacher, so he would often tell me about these stories and lessons.
The key number of share of company is 51, once you have it the company is yours... as for humanbeing our key age is 22 when you start finding an appropiate job and start your live...
Cao Meng De
Apprentice

Unread postby phenomenal17 » Mon Jul 19, 2004 3:40 am

Destiny of an Emperor made me aware of that whole part of history and got me mildly interested in it, but it wasn't until April that I kind of suddenly got hooked. I read an abridged version of the novel, then bought and read a full version. In May, I found the KMA site (for the second or third time, but I had never paid that much attention to it) and signed up for SimRTK and this.

At various points in time before the recent boom, I was reminded of my interest by many of the different RoTK-based games.
...brevity can never, in the nature of things, do justice to all the facts of a complex situation.

-Aldous Huxley
phenomenal17
Sage

Unread postby ???? » Thu Aug 12, 2004 7:32 am

Courage and their tactics,or the novel..
I don't know why I like it but I've been pulled by many history stories..
ROTK is one of many stories I've rad and it rank first after Ying Zheng's history.
Wanna know more of FF XII?
Click here
????
Initiate

Unread postby Xiahou Mengde88 » Sat Sep 04, 2004 1:55 am

First, I played Kessen II, and was intrigued by the story, no matter how far from the truth it was.

So then, I bought Dynasty Warriors 3 and DW3: Xtreme Legends, and realized a lot of things that Kessen II had made up, like how Liu Bei was not the boy friend of Diao Chan, and I figure he never even laid an eye on Diao Chan in actual history.

After that, I bought Romance of the Three Kingdoms VIII on the PS2, and learned a whole lot more than I had learned in Dynasty Warriors.

I started reading the actual book of ROTK around the same time, and now I'm on Chapter 72.

And even as informative as these last two sources were, the most informative was the kongming website. It was here I'm finding out more of the actual history, such as the fact that it wasn't Guan Yu that killed Hua Xiong, but the author just wanted to emphasize Guan Yu's fighting ability, and was biased, but that it was actually Sun Jian who killed Hua Xiong.
My newest discovery was the fact that Xiahou Dun and Xiahou Yuan were not brothers, and in fact, the Xiahous and Cao Cao were all first cousins.
Charlie Murphy: "Prince, you got any towels; It's hot out here!"
Dave Chappelle (as Prince): "Well, why don't you purify yourself in the waters..of Lake Minitanka?"
Xiahou Mengde88
Master

Unread postby Marx!_II » Sat Sep 04, 2004 6:46 am

I had heard of the three kingdoms back when I was young, and unable to pronounce Chuko Liang. Poring over my stepsister's copy of The Cartoon History of the Universe (Vol. 2) , I initially glossed over the portions explaining the Yellow Turban rebellion, and Ts'ao Ts'ao's botched attempt at semi-regicide, and the Sun family in the south, and others until a friend showed me Dynasty Warriors 3. After a good twelve minutes trying to figure out why Cao Cao sounded so familiar, it dawned on me and I raced home to give the chapter a more through reading, the story having enraptured me ever since.
Marx!_II
Changshi

ehh...

Unread postby Waking Dragon » Mon Sep 20, 2004 3:00 am

Dynasty Warriors game series...and I thank kongming.net for finding this site :wink: ...PeAcE
"Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water." r.i.p legend...

Bruce Lee
Waking Dragon
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Cao Lu » Tue Sep 21, 2004 12:47 am

I learned DW series with DW3, and I learned about ROT3K in DW4. KMA thaugh me quite a lot on ROT3K, though I know only very little still.
''Leave the rest to us, I beleive it is well past your bedtime!'' -Takeda Shingen to Date Masamune, Samurai Warriors
Cao Lu
Assistant

Unread postby lessthanpleased » Mon Sep 27, 2004 5:23 am

RoTK 2 for Nintendo. I just kind of felt my way through it, and fell in love, to be honest. I got a lot of people hooked on that game when I was little.

I didn't know anything about the history, Zhuge Liang, or any of that. I just played as Ma Teng in 189 AD and tried to steal Jia Xu- who I thought was the bossest advisor in the game. All I knew was that "Cao Cao is strong, but can't be trusted" and "Among horses: Red Hare; Among Men: Lu Bu."
lessthanpleased
Love Swami

Unread postby Duncan » Mon Sep 27, 2004 3:54 pm

Read a lot of the history when I was younger, but this tended to be outline stuff only, and 3 Kingdoms period didn't really grab my imagination at the time.

Dynasty Tactics was my first deep experience. Shortly after that an abortive attempt at DW2 proved to me I was useless at hack & slash.

I really got to know the book, KMA and this forum after I got hooked on DT2. It was fortunate for me that my fiancee was patient with me!

I'm now re-reading the book with a great deal more interest and playing through the ROTK8 scenarios with different characters. Having to ration my immersion so she doesn't consider divorce!
Duncan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to The Pub, Timeless Threads