What brought you into the ROTK world?

Best threads of The Pub, for your viewing pleasure.

Well?

The novel itself
7%
The Dynasty Warriors series
51%
The Kessen series
2%
The ROTK game series
19%
The television series
1%
This forum
2%
I'm Chinese, so its my nation's history
8%
Any other way?
9%

Total votes : 243

Unread postby Ma Chao's Rage » Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:19 pm

I didn't even know about anything besides the games before I visited this sitel. I just got DW4 for my PS2 because I had played it on Xbox previously and I enjoyed it. It was definitely the Dynasty Warriors series that got me into the ROTK thing.
What if everything is an illusion and nothing exists? In that case, I definitely overpaid for my carpet.
Ma Chao's Rage
Academic

Unread postby Champions of Wu » Wed Apr 27, 2005 9:48 pm

The Dynasty Warriors games are what got me started. After that, some of my friends introduced me to the romance games and I have never been the same since. I think the personallitys portrayed in these games has totally captivated me. The only thing I don't like is I wish the DW games would not portray Zhou Yu as such an egotistical ass.
Reverse the tragic deaths of key officers at strange, unlucky times, and China would be speaking WU!!!!
Champions of Wu
Apprentice

Unread postby Jordan » Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:56 am

The ROTK series sucked me in. I was a fan of strategy games and I played ROTK VII and I liked it. Then somehow when I was looking for guides for Dynasty Warriors III later (To unlock characters) I came across the link to the http://www.threekingdoms.com site and then I read the book from there.
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby The Zibbuto » Thu Apr 28, 2005 4:36 pm

It's a quite difficult story:
My mother went to buy Tomb Raider 4 (or 5? I can't remeber) and, I don't know how and why, she took DW3 istead. And it was in Japanese (and I'm Italian.... :shock: )! I stared to play, I liked it very much, but I wasn't able to understand the story and I called the characters with other names (Liu Bei, for me, was similar to Tadaoki Hosokawa from Kessen so I called him so). Then the game stopped to work. I was so in love with the game that I've bought it, this time in English :roll: . Looking for some cheats for the game I've found the KongMing archive and now I'm here! :wink:
FUKUSHIMA: I hate tractor-beam! It makes me itching!
HONDA: are you sure that there aren't crab louses?
http://starkessen.altervista.org/Englis ... hPage.html
The Zibbuto
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Location: Somewhere in time... Planning to become Zhuge Liang's worse Nightmare

Unread postby Kongming's Prodigy » Tue May 17, 2005 4:37 am

Ok, this is an odd (and long) story.

Before entering the world of Rot3K, I remember my (chinese) grandfather plaguing me about reading the novel. I didn't care much for it, since I thought it was just any other work of boring historical fiction. He used to read me some chapters, but I would just forget them or not really care. This was when I was about 5-7 years old. I left China at the age of 7 and came to the United States. My grandfather had given me as a present a copy of Rot3K, which i disregarded.

Growing up in the United States, I became interested in the Age of Empires series, and took to making and downloading campaigns for AoE 2. This was when I was about 11. One day, a popular campaign based on Rot3K (called "Heroes of the Three Kingdoms" by Tsunami Studios) was released by a group of community makers and I downloaded it, having a lot of fun. When I discovered that it was based on the novel that my grandfather gave me, I was delightfully surprised. But unfortunately I lost my ability to read chinese. :oops:

I actually got into the Rot3K world when I first played DW1. My big bro and I used to play PS1 fighting games when I wasn't designing for AoE. I remember we used to play "Bushido Blade". When he told me one day that he got a chinese fighting game, I was initially disappointed (since I was only interested in samurai). But when I discovered that the names of the characters corresponded to my AoE2 campaign, I was even more thrilled. Finally when DW2 and the PS2 came out, I quickly got it and decided I was gonna learn everything there was to know about Rot3K.

My family and I travelled back to China to visit our old friends and family, and I decided to purchase both an english Moss Roberts translation of Rot3K and the 58 disc VCD collection of the entire television series. When I came home, I purchased DW3 and my San Guo experience skyrocketed.

I have always associated Rot3K with KOEI since, and my KOEI journey went about like this: DW->DT->Kessen->Rot3K.

...and I also thanked my grandfather for originally initiating me into the wonderful sanguo world. :)
[Current System]
Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.63 GHz
EVGA Geforce GTX 770 @ 1241/3906 MHz
Gigabyte EX58-UD3R Motherboard
6GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 Triple Channel
500GB Hitachi 7200RPM
700W Cooler Master UCP
Cooler Master HAF 922 Chassis
Kongming's Prodigy
The Dragon Awakened

Unread postby ShuWeiYan » Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:59 am

Novel, ROTK series (3-6) 5 was special because of the part where you can threat messengers (I always loved doing that), anime, and then the DW series, which really got me into the history. But I knew about some history of the ROTK already from the ROTK series.
What's that thing called when a guy is gay for a girl?
-Homer Simpson
ShuWeiYan
Langzhong

Unread postby Mike » Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:50 am

I thought I'd expand on my past post.

What happened was one day, at EB, I saw some guys playing a game with elephants and a bunch of people running around. Of course, I thought that the game looked like a piece of crap. A few months pass...I get my X-box and go to Roger's Video to rent a game. I scanned the shelves and saw a game called Dynasty Warriors 3. I looked at the back and it looked like the game those people were playing at EB. There was nothing else to rent, so I thought that I might as well try it out. So, I put it in my X-box, and to my surprise, one of the characters was called Guan Yu. And another was called Zhang Fei. Now I recognized these two names from stories that my dad used to tell me. I realized that DW3 was based off of SGYY. I eventually bought the book when I went to China.
Mike
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sierous » Wed Aug 03, 2005 2:24 am

I came here when I was learning of china past also my favorite chinese hero is Sun Jian who was important to the three kingdoms.
Tenso,Kuga,Cikcio,Ejia and Ninjitzu swords expert
samurai warlord
Hyottoko Raijuta
Sierous
Tyro

Unread postby No Bu » Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:52 pm

After playing DW3 I became obsessed with the story and started doing research to see if this really happened which led me to the novel.
Every soul is like a moon, it has a dark side.
No Bu
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jade_Moon_Dragon » Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:53 pm

i like to play dynasty warriors, so i go here.
Jade_Moon_Dragon
Langzhong

PreviousNext

Return to The Pub, Timeless Threads