What brought you into the ROTK world?

Best threads of The Pub, for your viewing pleasure.

Well?

The novel itself
7%
The Dynasty Warriors series
51%
The Kessen series
2%
The ROTK game series
19%
The television series
1%
This forum
2%
I'm Chinese, so its my nation's history
8%
Any other way?
9%

Total votes : 243

Re: What brought you into the ROTK world?

Unread postby Koei Girl » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:36 pm

mrbeate wrote:James Woods

James Woods? WTF? :lol:
Koei Girl
Initiate

Unread postby Masatog » Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:31 pm

I must say that Dynasty Warriors 3 is what started getting me into ROTK. It was fun and addicting that I decided to do some research about the game and that is how I found out about it.
Current Avatar: RTKXI's Chen Gong in LoCC sprite.
Masatog
Scholar

Unread postby Cao Hong 14 » Fri May 07, 2010 4:44 am

same as Masatog. dw3 brought me into this wonderful world that I love so much. My friend that passed away showed it to me and at first I liked it but never truly loved it or understood much about it.After he passed away I bought it for myself and at first cherished the game because it brought back good memories of our time together as friends. I never really played it for a long time, but when I was 12 I started playing it again and finally understood it and began to love it!After that I bought the rest of the series as well as other 3 kingdoms related games and ever since the series has remained my favorite of all time.
"Change is the law of life. And those who only look to the past or present are certain to miss the future. "
- President John F. Kennedy
Cao Hong 14
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby agga » Fri May 07, 2010 5:08 am

ROTK changed my life!

my grandmother used to take us to those big traveling museum exhibits when i was a kid, often in memphis - one year, i was probably about 11 or 12, she took us to see an exhibit on Genghis Khan and the Mongol empire. i was amazed and became a huge Genghis Khan fan, and still am. this transferred to me wanting to read anything i could about the Khan, the mongols - and since there wasn't actually much for me to find, and since he did have a grandson who was a Chinese emperor, China got lumped into "Genghis Khan stuff" for me, and i also started to learn about China.

so then, I'm looking to rent video games - this is about 1991 or so, 6th or 7th grade - and i see RTK II for SNES, and look at the package, and think, "this looks like China/Mongolia battle empire stuff wow!", so i rent it. then i buy it. then i get the library to order me a copy of the book, once i somehow discover it's based on a BOOK (i think the manual probably said so), and i read it, along with a couple of other books on Chinese history that my grandmother gets for me. so then I'm hooked. i order for myself another copy of the book, a different translation (the one i still have today), which gets me wondering about why the names are all spelled differently every time (the first copy the names and places were all Wade-Giles, the second one was Pinyin), so I get curious about the language. so i start trying to learn chinese.

i go to college and graduate school, and it's only in graduate school that i start to meet actual chinese people for the first time, fellow graduate students. i make a point of going to meet the chinese students in my department, i tell them "I know the Three Kingdoms", and I show them that I can count and say some sentences, and of course they're very nice and impressed.

couple of years go by, then, a particular new chinese student arrives - same story, i introduce myself as the 3k aficionado, etc.etc.

long story short, 5 years later, and we're married. so, ROTK introduced me to my wife, go figure.
造反有理!
agga
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Kong Wen » Mon May 17, 2010 5:30 am

agga wrote:then i get the library to order me a copy of the book, once i somehow discover it's based on a BOOK (i think the manual probably said so)

It did! I remember it distinctly because the RTK II instruction manual prompted me to write an essay on the subject back in grade 8! :D

agga wrote:long story short, 5 years later, and we're married. so, ROTK introduced me to my wife, go figure.

RTK separated me from my wife...

Anyway, I love replying to timeless threads every couple of years. :) I got into the world of RTK with the first Romance of the Three Kingdoms game back on NES. I actually got into Destiny of an Emperor around the same time, but RTK came first by about a year. My oath brother and I were probably in grade 3 or 4, and we used to play the game in his basement, taking notes on what characters had good stats in a little notebook. One of our favourite things to do was execute Ma Teng's messengers! ;)
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby Hyper90 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:51 am

Sangokushi Eiketsuden !!

it was MS-Dos game when i was playing it
http://www.gamefaqs.com/snes/571411-san ... view-65537

but the link above has snes and gba versions. in japs

if you want the ms-dos version i can upload it for ya. its a taiwan version.

I played that game since i was 4 or 6.
"There are five possible operations for any army. If you can fight, fight; if you cannot fight, defend; if you cannot defend, flee; if you cannot flee, surrender; if you cannot surrender, die. " Sima Yi

take a look please
Hyper90
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby AxeLordGerardo » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:37 am

Dynasty Warriors 2 brought me here. Never heard of ROTK before.

I started playing it with the 3 main factions, but Hu Lao gate had a "yellow army" lead by a not selectable guy (Yuan Shao). When Yuan Shao and his own battles were unlocked, i made him my fav. After knowing that all was historical i began to seek info about he and his forces and enjoyed greatly his part on the novel, his mistakes and bold actions and speeches. None of the Kingdoms gave me that motivating feeling. In search of more info, i ended finding Konming Archives, and from there, i jumped here. I consider myself a more than great fan of Yuan Shao and my goal here is to see all his set of characters aligned in DW in a future, at least i want to see Yan Liang, Wen Chou and Tian Feng. While i keep waiting for them, i enjoy ROTK saga where everybody is present.
Cao Cao - Liu Bei - Sun Jian - Yuan Shao
AxeLordGerardo
Student

Unread postby DragonAtma » Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:30 pm

One of my birthday gifts back in 1993 was rotk2; it was an interesting story and had good gameplay, and I wanted more!

I eventually read the novel online, way back when they used americanized names ("With Red-Hare, Glyn-Ruiz Bribes Bullard-Lundmark."). Eventually I switched over to historical info.
Unless I specifically say otherwise, assume I am talking about historical Three Kingdoms, and not the novel.

In memory of my beloved cats, Anastasia (9/30/06-9/18/17, illness) and Josephine (1/19/06-9/23/17, cancer).
DragonAtma
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zhaoyun91 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:01 pm

Hyper90 wrote:Sangokushi Eiketsuden !!

it was MS-Dos game when i was playing it
http://www.gamefaqs.com/snes/571411-san ... view-65537

but the link above has snes and gba versions. in japs

if you want the ms-dos version i can upload it for ya. its a taiwan version.

I played that game since i was 4 or 6.

Hey, it is possible for you to upload the ms-dos version ?? though 5 years has passed. I just stumbled upon this forum recently
Zhaoyun91
Tyro

Unread postby LegendOfGuanYu » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:09 pm

I had seen the KOEI Games in old issues of Nintendo Power. Games like Genghis Khan and ROTK. I finally bought the game from Funco Land around 18 years ago. Found out it was a novel long before actually playing the game. Have been hooked with Chinese history since I was a boy. That and Medieval Japan.
LegendOfGuanYu
Tyro

PreviousNext

Return to The Pub, Timeless Threads