What brought you into the ROTK world?

Best threads of The Pub, for your viewing pleasure.

Well?

The novel itself
7%
The Dynasty Warriors series
51%
The Kessen series
2%
The ROTK game series
19%
The television series
1%
This forum
2%
I'm Chinese, so its my nation's history
8%
Any other way?
9%

Total votes : 243

Unread postby Shu whu shang » Thu Sep 18, 2003 9:11 am

I took the novel because then yo8u know every thing. Is the novel buyably
Shu whu shang
Student

Unread postby Li Ruiyue » Thu Sep 18, 2003 8:38 pm

I saw my friend play DW2, I thought it was cool so I got it. Next thing I know I got DW3 and became interested on the novel it was based on.

I've read the abridged edition, but now I want to read the 3000 or so pages of the unabridged edition of the novel. Only problem is, I can't get in the UK.

Does anybody know where I could get a copy of the unabridged edition in the UK?

This question is mainly to the people who live in the UK, but if someone over in America knows how to get one in the UK for some reason, please notify in anyways possible: e-mail, private message or just reply to this post.

Thanks.
Li Ruiyue
Innocent Soul

Unread postby Jiang Zhi » Fri Sep 19, 2003 12:27 am

I'll do this briefly: I'm Chinese, I learned about it from my dad and it was the TV series that really expanded my interest.
Jiang Zhi of Foshan, style Maodi
~*!越武帝!*~ - 我愛我的妻子孫尚香!
Nan Hai, Jiaozhou

Laconius Arts and Design My Rot3K fanfiction
Jiang Zhi
Sun Shang Xiang's puppy-eyed slave

Unread postby Shu whu shang » Fri Sep 19, 2003 6:17 am

OPs i got every thing wrong. I thought what you should take whit you if you take an time trip to the dw world. But so it goes if you not read everything. But is romance of the three kingdoms buyable in europe?
Shu whu shang
Student

Unread postby Li Ruiyue » Fri Sep 19, 2003 9:21 pm

Shu whu shang wrote:OPs i got every thing wrong. I thought what you should take whit you if you take an time trip to the dw world. But so it goes if you not read everything. But is romance of the three kingdoms buyable in europe?

Yes, if you go on Amazon, they should have it there. They also have the abridged edition of just 'Three Kingdoms'(not Romance of The Three Kingdoms, but you can still get that at Amazon).

The only thing Amazon doesn't have is the unabidged edition of Three Kingdoms, but you could go on the USA version of Amazon to get it if you desperatley want it.
Li Ruiyue
Innocent Soul

Unread postby sano » Sun Sep 21, 2003 4:59 pm

dynasty warriors.
sano
Apprentice

Unread postby Ma Zhi Xuan » Mon Sep 22, 2003 6:34 pm

Dynasty warriors 2 then 3 were I learned there's novel for that era, which I became very interested in.
Ma Zhi Xuan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Location: In the Symphony of Destruction. Clashing the cymbols.

Unread postby sano » Mon Sep 22, 2003 10:36 pm

Clockwork Mist wrote:I started playing Dynasty Warriors 2, but before then I was collecting the card game and found out they matched, then I put them together, found the book. And it went of from there as a beautiful relationship.

they had a card game?!?

:shock: :shock: :shock:
sano
Apprentice

Unread postby Rhiannon » Tue Sep 23, 2003 12:33 am

sano wrote:they had a card game?!?

Yes indeed, Magic put out an RTK game. You can see the cards here (there are four pages worth.)

Now to answer the question myself.

The first thing that got me even aware of ROTK was this forum. I'd quit stories.com (now writing.com), and was bored, missing forums, etc. Andy (Lion's Mane) told me about this forum, and how he had got involved in it, and so I came to carefully check it out. I was, at first, turned off by joining, because I saw that it revolved around this odd novel (come to think of it, he'd shown me www.threekingdoms.com before this forum, but I paid it no heed). I knew I had no time to read it and probably would never be interested, but the non-SGYY related forums caught my interest and joined.

That was the extent of my SGYY knowledge for a long time, and then SimRTK began. I pushed myself away from it a long time, feeling totally inept to do it, even when people were inviting me to join. Finally, I guilt tripped and snuck over there... and started reading. I got hooked on reading the roleplay, the stories... I was entranced by it all. So I eventually joined there too.

Joining there made me immediately want to know more about the era, and I learned a lot just from sitting in the IRC chat room for the Sim, as well as chatting with many of its members (particularly Andy and Rob, hehe.) I read bits of the SGYY on threekingdoms.com now and then, to research on a character as they were brought up in discussions. That again, was my extent for a long time.

Then I went on vacation this August to visit Andy up in Utah, and while I was there, he brought his PS2 to our hotel room so I could play DW4 and RTKVII. Oh lord. I was hooked and addicted. There's no real way to describe how DW4 made me feel suddenly like a real life hero (I played Xiahou Dun, btw): I suddenly felt a part of all I had been reading, and suddenly began understanding what I had been reading with a true 'reader's perspective' of being there. From last month on, I have truly become a lover of the SGYY. I still haven't read it all (gah, I've been reading really slow), but I really want to know now, and that makes all the difference.

And... guess what? This topic is moving to Timeless Threads!
"For us to have self-esteem is truly an act of revolution and our revolution is long overdue."
— Margaret Cho
Rhiannon
Joy & Oblivion
Joy & Oblivion

Card game...

Unread postby Iain » Tue Sep 23, 2003 12:36 am

sano wrote:
Clockwork Mist wrote: but before then I was collecting the card game and found out they matched, then I put them together, found the book. And it went of from there as a beautiful relationship.

they had a card game?!?

Yes there was a card game called "Portal three kingdoms" which was a simplfied version of the "Magic the gathering" card game, the cards had half devoted to Artwork and the other half was game rules and usually a quote from the three kingdoms books.
The game is fun and highly addictive and I still play it occasionally, it was my main free time taker before Dynasty Warriors.
Iain
Lord of Nanchang

PreviousNext

Return to The Pub, Timeless Threads