What brought you into the ROTK world?

Best threads of The Pub, for your viewing pleasure.

Well?

The novel itself
7%
The Dynasty Warriors series
52%
The Kessen series
2%
The ROTK game series
19%
The television series
1%
This forum
2%
I'm Chinese, so its my nation's history
8%
Any other way?
9%

Total votes : 242

Re: What brought you into the ROTK world?

Unread postby Shen Ai » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:30 pm

I'll have to admit it was me buying Warriors Orochi that got me interested.
I've a brave warrior in my army. Shen Ai is his name, and he can slay this Hua Xiong.

Wei has no more famous commanders, Shen Ai takes lead of the vanguard!

Even a commoner on the street knows what Shen Ai is thinking!
Shen Ai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby QilinStar » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:10 pm

Mostly Dynasty Warriors 5. But before that, my sister was watching a Taiwanese TV series of Guan Yu and the 1994 RTK adaption which did not catch my interest until I started playing DW. I was hooked ever since. I used to be glad I could make it through an episode of the TV series a day without falling asleep but after my interest revved, I just can't stop watching it.
QilinStar
Tyro

Unread postby fighting_bacon » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:18 am

QilinStar wrote:I was hooked ever since. I used to be glad I could make it through an episode of the TV series a day without falling asleep but after my interest revved, I just can't stop watching it.

My introduction to the DW series began lots of years ago, but I only rediscovered it when DW8 came out. Then after I got hooked, I also got really interested in the series. The fascination couldn't have come at a worse time - finals week is not a good week for obsessing over dead Chinese generals.
fighting_bacon
Tyro

Unread postby Sun Fin » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:52 am

fighting_bacon wrote:My introduction to the DW series began lots of years ago, but I only rediscovered it when DW8 came out. Then after I got hooked, I also got really interested in the series. The fascination couldn't have come at a worse time - finals week is not a good week for obsessing over dead Chinese generals.

Yeah I can testify to that truth brother!
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby lcklasman » Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:22 am

When I was much younger I had dynasty warriors 4. Enjoyed it, but wasn't really fully invested in the Three Kingdoms at that point. Got dynasty warriors 6. Hated it, but stuck with the series. Fell in love with 7, and got rotk 8. Then played 8, and read the novel, as well as SGZ bios of generals I'm interested in.
lcklasman
Initiate

Unread postby Tao Qian » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:13 am

For me it was a 2001 videogame called "Fate of the dragon" that I'd never played myself, but it was looking so good that I went to the University computers to search more info (no internet at home, 14 years ago).

That's how I've found the www.threekingdoms.com version, and since then I'm completely in love :)
Tao Qian
Assistant

Unread postby ky9ersfan » Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:54 am

Well it was the ROTK game series, I first played #4 on the original playstation 1. I just remember thinking what a great strategy game, and from there a love for asian history/culture developed. I then went online, and read the online novel, then I joined the frontier palace message board. Those were good times.
ky9ersfan
Initiate

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:48 am

I had played the very first ROTK as a kid but didn't even realize it until several years later. Later, when I was a teenager, one of my buddies got his hands on ROTK III. After playing for a bit, I started getting really interested in learning more about the characters, which I found out later were actual historical figures. I would go to the library and sift through the encyclopedias to read the entries about all of the major figures. I was so psyched up when I discovered that the Playstation port of IV came with little character bios and stuff.
Gamefaqs: KongZhou
Steam: heinous_won
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Previous

Return to The Pub, Timeless Threads