Hayao Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli

Best threads of The Pub, for your viewing pleasure.

Unread postby Tigger of Kai » Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:41 am

Seems like a promotion to me, this topic will get clipped in a couple of months
Mithril! The dwarves tell no tales. But just as it was the foundation of their wealth, so also it was their destruction. They delved too greedily and too deep, and disturbed that from which they fled.
Tigger of Kai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:59 pm

Haha. Hayao Miyazaki cannot be generalized, nor should any other thread that could grow into a great discussion. His possible immunity to the void is also worthy of contemplation!

Has anyone else seen <i>The Cat Returns</i>?
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Lady Wu » Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:43 pm

James wrote:Has anyone else seen <i>The Cat Returns</i>?

Yeah, I saw it when it came out in Hong Kong. It's a pretty bizarre one.
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby James » Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:09 pm

Lady Wu wrote:Yeah, I saw it when it came out in Hong Kong. It's a pretty bizarre one.

It is, perhaps, the one I had the most trouble getting. My wife knew I would find a way to get her to watch it with me, and she also has no love for cats. When I finally found it on sale for $16, though, she knew she was out of luck, and we got to watch it together.

I imagine anyone who loves cats would thoroughly love that movie. It is, however, <i>quite</i> strange. At least it isn’t as unusual as a few of the more obscure movies I have heard mentioned in this thread, though.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Lady Wu » Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:41 pm

It might help to watch "Whipsers of the Heart" (not released in the US yet, I don't think) first. I just took it (meaning "Cat") to be a fluffy piece of entertainment (for kids?). I mean, I like cats all right, but I kept feeling I was missing something about the movie, and it's not in the sense of Spirited Away (where you *know* you're missing a lot of cultural references).

Yeah, Pom Poko was directed by the same dude who did Panda, and while it was also Studio Ghibli, I think Miyazaki didn't have a direct role in it (correct me if I'm wrong). But you must see it! Shape-shifting raccoon terrorists with flying testicles (well, they inflate and then act as a hot-air balloon for the tanuki/raccoon to fly)!
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu

Unread postby Gabriel » Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:05 pm

I think his films are great, though none can compare to Akira. Anyway, I've seen Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away(I own both), Kiki's Delivery Service, Porco Rosso, and My Neighbor Totoro and I enjoyed them all.
You don't need to go to church to be saved, and you don't need to go to rehab to get off drugs. You just need to make the right decisions.
Gabriel
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Wo Long » Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:27 pm

Liang Shuo wrote:I think his films are great, though none can compare to Akira. Anyway, I've seen Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away(I own both), Kiki's Delivery Service, Porco Rosso, and My Neighbor Totoro and I enjoyed them all.

Really? I never liked Akira much. It had an interesting concept with the neo-futuristic biker gang, but I think that movie too far with the little blue people and such. It wasn't what I expected.
Me Blog.
Restore the Ming Dynasty in Beijing!
Wo Long
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Niahak » Mon Jul 03, 2006 4:19 am

D'oh, forgot all about this topic since I don't check The Pub too much...

The copy my club has is fansubbed, although knowing the members somebody has a DVD they'd be willing to bring in (hey, if it happened with "Those Who Hunt Elves"...).

If we don't have it, I'm sure I can throw my weight as reluctant-and-unsuspecting secretary around :P

Sounds like I'm missing out on a lot of Miyazaki. I've got a lot of catching up to do.
Niahak
Scholar

Unread postby Hubsta » Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:04 pm

Spirited Away is amazing, Princess Mononoke is also really good. I love the Over-The-Top violence when the main character shoots a guy in the arm with an arrow and the arm comes flying off and gets pinned to a tree.
"Religion, in which the being reveres one who cannot be proved to exist and lives within boundaries set by people on the same plane, is controlled thinking just as having one’s thoughts forbidden by an absolute ruler is."
Hubsta
Scholar

Unread postby Ricky » Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:29 am

I've seen spirited away and a few others. I love these movies, I'm a fan of the directors movies. Spirited away was the best one for me. I loved when her family was hungry and they ate all that appetising food. It made me hungry. After they turned to pigs, that ruined my moment. For a brief second, when the dad eats he didn't chew his food. Great movies.
First upload.
All hail to the lord!

Huo Hu
Ricky
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to The Pub, Timeless Threads