Hayao Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli

Best threads of The Pub, for your viewing pleasure.

Re: Hayao Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli

Unread postby Shu Ryorin » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:42 pm

SunXia wrote:I watched Spirited Away several weeks ago after Jonathon Ross posted about watching it and it being one of the best movies ever!! I enjoyed it, was a bit random but enjoyable characters!! I only wish more Japanese animation was given more respect in the Western World!!

I enjoy Spirited Away, but I think I prefer most of the other Ghibli films I've seen. I love the story, but something about the charcter designs in that movie puts me on edge...

I also saw The Cat Returns recently and I think it may be a perfect movie. I had been avoiding it because I really enjoyed Whisper of the Heart and thought it would be just a meh spin-off, but my friend highly recommended it so I checked it out. I love the characters, the plot, the pacing, and the humor. It uses a different style of character design from most Ghibli films and I thought it worked really well with the story's tone.
"Only dummies call people dummy, dummy!"
-some fairy in "Breath of Fire III"

Grad school is hard, you guys.
Shu Ryorin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Location: Canada, wandering the less-frozen-than-Alaska-but-still-cold wastes of grad school

Unread postby Kong Wen » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:18 am

My favourite Studio Ghibli work is Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch. :)
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby checkpoints » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:03 am

Alway have a soft spot for my neighbor totoro, porco rosso, and lupin the 3rd the castle of cagliostro.
checkpoints
Tyro

Unread postby James » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:08 pm

Kong Wen wrote:My favourite Studio Ghibli work is Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch. :)

Speaking of which, it just arrived on your recommendation and I started playing this morning. So far, I've thoroughly enjoyed it! It almost feels like playing through a Studio Ghibli movie between the artwork and the game's personality.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Kong Wen » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:19 pm

James wrote:
Kong Wen wrote:My favourite Studio Ghibli work is Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch. :)

Speaking of which, it just arrived on your recommendation and I started playing this morning. So far, I've thoroughly enjoyed it! It almost feels like playing through a Studio Ghibli movie between the artwork and the game's personality.

Glad you're liking it so far! It's definitely a strong mix of Studio Ghibli and Dragon Quest with a strong sense of whimsy and an amazing childlike perspective. Prepare for the long haul, though, because it's an RPG inspired by the giants of the genre. I think it took me about 60 hours to beat it, and then another 40 or so hours to 100% it. I'll be happy to discuss some of the thematic elements with you when you're farther in. :)
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby James » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:06 pm

Kong Wen wrote:Glad you're liking it so far! It's definitely a strong mix of Studio Ghibli and Dragon Quest with a strong sense of whimsy and an amazing childlike perspective. Prepare for the long haul, though, because it's an RPG inspired by the giants of the genre. I think it took me about 60 hours to beat it, and then another 40 or so hours to 100% it. I'll be happy to discuss some of the thematic elements with you when you're farther in. :)

Sounds great!

I'll be plodding along with a free hour here or there, but I'm no less excited now after playing some more. Early on I wasn't expecting a whole lot of depth in terms of mechanics, but then I started digging through that wizard book (manual?) out of curiosity, and oh wow... it seems that expectation was anything but accurate.

I've also been very pleasantly surprised at every turn. For example, the detail in the environment and even the various characters I've encountered. Running up and down along paths in that first forest was especially striking.

I hope it continues this way; seems like exactly the sort of RPG I enjoy. :)
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Lady Wu » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:48 am

Boo no North American release on the DS.

I suppose single-player RPG for PC as a genre is now properly dead. :(
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby Ranbir » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:23 pm

It is very much thriving on PC. More than those gizmos we call consoles.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby Shen Ai » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:32 pm

I've seen all of the Studio Ghibli films other than My Neighbours the Yamadas.
I've a brave warrior in my army. Shen Ai is his name, and he can slay this Hua Xiong.

Wei has no more famous commanders, Shen Ai takes lead of the vanguard!

Even a commoner on the street knows what Shen Ai is thinking!
Shen Ai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Previous

Return to The Pub, Timeless Threads