Hayao Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli

Best threads of The Pub, for your viewing pleasure.

Unread postby Lulu » Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:49 pm

We have a quite a few of them, Howls and Spirited Away are my favorites. However, not long ago I was mentioning to my husband that I really wanted to see My Neighbor Totoro. Our 8 year old pipes up, "oh, that's a really good one, you'll love it". I did a 360 and asked where she'd seen that? It turned out she had watched it at a sleep over.
She was right, I loved it, and it has joined my favorites. She smirks at me every time we watch, because she got to see it first.

I think Miyazaki has a magic for paying attention to detail in the way every character moves and how they would act/react (especialy children).
Wu, Shu, and Wei videos made with much love.
5 posts down http://the-scholars.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13461 Enjoy :)
Lulu
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:24 pm

I quickly clicked on this thread to see if someone was mentioning a new release. His movies really are magical. The little ones love them, and so do I. Even though I’ve played many of them more than a dozen times they still didn’t complain when I put one of the movies on.

My Neighbor Totoro is by far one of my favorites.

I’m really enjoying The Cat Returns right now, but I’m a cat fellow, too.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Shi Tong » Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:21 pm

My favorite is definitely Totoro, but I love his films.

Elliot (who's my 3 year old boy) also loved Totoro and I'm always happy to watch with him. :lol:

We bought Howls and I also have Kiki's delivery service, but Elliot's not so keen on Kiki, so we have to watch what he wants.. so I've only seen Kiki a couple of times.

It is cute though.

What I love about them is the magic they instill- making things which are obviously childish and impossible into something possible and magical- very intelligent.
Shi Tong
Stupid Egg of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lady Wu » Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:38 am

A good friend of mine emailed me recently to ask for Miyazaki suggestions for her mother. That got me started thinking about Kiki. Man, I really should watch it (I need to get version with Japanese soundtrack, though. The Cantonese one is fine but not great). I'm pretty much where Kiki was when she "lost" her powers. In fact, my life over the last year parallels Kiki's in uncanny ways. I moved to a town where I had no friends, and had to establish myself and work a real job for the first time of my life. But at some point I hit a snag, and the magic that I had seemed to have disappeared, and I started doubting whether I really had it in the first place. I also didn't know what to do because my "magic", which came so easily to me, was part of my identity; when I couldn't access it, I felt helpless. Actually, I'm still there. So I should watch the movie again. Or get a black cat. Or both.
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby Shi Tong » Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:52 am

Maybe you should get a broom and fly some? :lol:

Actually, that sounds pretty depressing Lady Wu :? Sorry to hear about it.. though I must say you haven't lost your modding magic on here- we still wuv ya! :D
Shi Tong
Stupid Egg of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:43 pm

You’ll find whatever magic you’ve misplaced again, Lady Wu. :D

*Chuckles* It seems to me you’ve got some you might have overlooked anyway!

Kiki’s Delivery Service was another great movie… but as I typed that I realized how absurd it was to make the comment in the first place. I have nothing bad to say about any Miyazaki film I’ve seen. The only ones I’ve disliked have been the oldest files in which he was only involved, rather than those he directed. I am forever scarred by Panda-go-Panda.

The one I can relate most to is Whispers of the Heart.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby King Kong Zhou » Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:55 pm

"Sen to Chihiro no kamikakushi" (AKA Spirited Away) is a personal favorite. In my opinion, it's even better than Akira as an animation, and - don't get me wrong - I also loved Akira.

I thought it would be something childish, and I was incredibly surprised to find such a deep and touching history.

And I finally found "Hauru no ugoku shiro" (AKA Howl's Moving Castle) for sale, and I'll get my hands on it soon. I hope it's as good as Spirited Away. if the reviews I read so far are worth anything, I'm sure I'll love it.
"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." - Sir Winston Churchill
King Kong Zhou
Changshi

Unread postby Shi Tong » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:43 pm

Akira, dont get me started.

I LOVE that film!
Shi Tong
Stupid Egg of Shen Zhou

Re: Hayao Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli

Unread postby Shu Ryorin » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:16 am

I actually saw Kiki's Delivery Service for the first time with my mother about a month and a half ago and both of us really enjoyed it. My mom's only complaints were that Kiki should've called home more often and that the fake German on the signs was really unconvincing. I distinctly recall being jealous of Kiki's ability to bypass airport security on her trips. I may have had to pack for an international flight right afterwards.

Lately I've been trying to watch all the Ghibli films that I haven't seen that have come out on DVD in North America. I'm planning to check out Arrietty sometime this week and then I will only have three left.
"Only dummies call people dummy, dummy!"
-some fairy in "Breath of Fire III"

Grad school is hard, you guys.
Shu Ryorin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Location: Canada, wandering the less-frozen-than-Alaska-but-still-cold wastes of grad school

Re: Hayao Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli

Unread postby SunXia » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:42 pm

I watched Spirited Away several weeks ago after Jonathon Ross posted about watching it and it being one of the best movies ever!! I enjoyed it, was a bit random but enjoyable characters!! I only wish more Japanese animation was given more respect in the Western World!!
If becoming enlightened or an intellectual means I must become arrogant and coldly cynical about the world around me then I'd gladly remain a fool for the rest of my life!!

I'm Out4Marriage!!!Are You??

It is a CHOICE!!
SunXia
Warrior Princess
Warrior Princess

Location: Keeping Evils from this world at bay...with a smile!!

PreviousNext

Return to The Pub, Timeless Threads