Hayao Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli

Best threads of The Pub, for your viewing pleasure.

Unread postby Lady Wu » Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:51 am

Wild-Eyes wrote:Okay - I officially have to snag Totoro and watch it now. I'm missing out on something!

I keep my copy of Totoro communal in my house. It cures emotional imbalances, alleviates anxiety, calms racing thoughts, and just makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside and love life.

If I were to run the world, I'd make watching Totoro a prerequisite for having kids. And then I'd make everyone (parents or not) watch it, along with declaring happiness as a fundamental principle of government.
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby Tigger of Kai » Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:41 am

Wo Long: he played the fat smirking monk guy

click for more photos of Mononoke characters matched with their voice actors:

http://www.allmoviephoto.com/photo/1999 ... photo.html
Mithril! The dwarves tell no tales. But just as it was the foundation of their wealth, so also it was their destruction. They delved too greedily and too deep, and disturbed that from which they fled.
Tigger of Kai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Duncan » Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:54 pm

I have Spirited Away on DVD, and I'm trying to track down any of the others.

Can't wait for my daughter to be old enough to enjoy them.
"No more 200-yr-old flakes of parchment getting trapped in 'problem areas'..."
Liu Yuante
Duncan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Mei Zhen » Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:03 pm

While I've got a lot of love for most of Miyazaki's films (Nausicaa is my favorite by the way), there are some that were just downright weird. The one that comes to mind, which I forget the title of (please let me know if you have some idea of which I'm referring to) was about an adolescent girl who was in pre-love with a violin-maker, and it was just a positively long and drawn-out angstfest more akin to Dawson's Creek than to Spirited Away. Oh, and there were cats in it. And fantasical statues. I kid you not.

Other than that I've got to say that I agree with most everything folks have had to say about his movies - even when experienced through American dubbing and/or subtitles, they are still very innovative and full of life. I used to have great doubts about the ability of animation to convey human emotion, but I've got to say that Miyazaki captures the essence of drama very well in a lot of his movies. And best of all, the fantasy is often extremely unique and creative, even for a jaded gamer/fantasy nut as myself who can't help but to feel like she's 'seen it all' in terms of the genre.
"In a modern culture
My friend you must be careful
They've a million ways to kill you

In this dangerous world
There’s an art to growing old
Taking chances
Magic happens"
- Garbage, Breaking Up the Girl
Mei Zhen
Lost in Quotation

Unread postby Ranbir » Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:40 pm

Whispers of the heart it was called. I never saw the ending of it, was too trippy for me with her staring into crystals and getting all 'high' or something.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby Lady Wu » Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:57 pm

Whispers of the Heart is hilarious.

The absolute weirdest one, though, is Pom Poko. It's all about these shape-shifting raccoon-like things with giant flying testicles :!: using terrorist tactics to stop human expansion into their forest.
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu

Unread postby Ranbir » Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:19 pm

See, I don't like too crazy.

It's why I like Mononoke. Sure it had talking animals and the likes, but it was grounded in mysticsm I could handle. Same with Spirited Away.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby James » Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:58 pm

I think the older his stuff, the stranger (and more… Japanese) it gets. The most unusual one I saw was Panda go Panda, but if I recall correctly he was part of the team that made it, but not the director. I haven’t seen a movie of his, in which he had full development control, that I didn’t like. Does anyone recall the years or his role in those other mentioned movies (like the squirrel… testicle… one)?

Wild-Eyes wrote:Okay - I officially have to snag Totoro and watch it now. I'm missing out on something!

You’ll love it, Jaime.

Lady Wu wrote:I keep my copy of Totoro communal in my house. It cures emotional imbalances, alleviates anxiety, calms racing thoughts, and just makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside and love life.

I also have a Totoro in my keychain. In Japantown there is a Japantown mall which contains a Japanese video store. In the entrance, they have a 4' Totoro. Hope, my daughter, hugs it every time she walks in. I must admit, it is quite cool to see. I love visiting the stores there.

Tigger of Kai wrote:Wo Long: he played the fat smirking monk guy [...]

He is one of my favorite characters from his movies. :)
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Seven at One Stroke » Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:44 am

I hate to bring it up, but clearly this thread belongs here. :P

My favorite is Nausicaa followed by Porco Rosso. All I that I can think of saying has already been said.
Moderation in pursuit of actual work is no vice.
Seven at One Stroke
Sei's Slave

Unread postby Ranbir » Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:53 am

Noo! Don't downgrade these magical works of art to that thread. :P
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

PreviousNext

Return to The Pub, Timeless Threads