Phobias: what are you afraid of?

Best threads of The Pub, for your viewing pleasure.

Re: Phobias: what are you afraid of?

Unread postby HowSwiftThySword » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:32 pm

I'm afraid that I shall cease to be when I die.
I try not to think about it, but alas :( .
Quote of the Day:

"Someday I'll strangle you with your own beard, Cao Cao!" - Dong Zhou
HowSwiftThySword
Scholar

Unread postby James » Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:49 pm

HowSwiftThySword wrote:I'm afraid that I shall cease to be when I die.
I try not to think about it, but alas :( .

The good news is that if you cease to be, it won't be of much bother to you!
Falls into the realm of things not worth worrying about because you can't do a thing about it.

I used to ponder this quite frequently. I started as soon as I really tried to grasp it, once, and was overcome with a sense of hopelessness when I first really realized what it would mean to cease to be. Oddly enough, even though I eventually concluded that nobody really knows what comes next—they claim to, but it is a matter of faith—I expect there will be something. Life is too incredible a thing in my eyes for me to support such a negative outlook.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby HowSwiftThySword » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:31 pm

James wrote:The good news is that if you cease to be, it won't be of much bother to you!
Falls into the realm of things not worth worrying about because you can't do a thing about it.

I used to ponder this quite frequently. I started as soon as I really tried to grasp it, once, and was overcome with a sense of hopelessness when I first really realized what it would mean to cease to be. Oddly enough, even though I eventually concluded that nobody really knows what comes next—they claim to, but it is a matter of faith—I expect there will be something. Life is too incredible a thing in my eyes for me to support such a negative outlook.
Yeah, that's my take on it, but still, sometimes insomnia creeps upon me and the idea of non-existing scares me, I can't do anything about it. I've already accepted death, and that it is inevitable, you're right, life is too ... miraculous for us just to cease.
Quote of the Day:

"Someday I'll strangle you with your own beard, Cao Cao!" - Dong Zhou
HowSwiftThySword
Scholar

Unread postby Shu Ryorin » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:23 pm

I believe I fear letting people down, in a general sense. It's led to many of my insecurities. I think this is why I have a difficult time asking for extensions and over react over insignificant things that no one else really cares about, but make me feel like I'm betraying some one in some obscure way. I'm trying to overcome it because I know it's not true, but I still hate the feeling that I might possibly disappoint people's expectations, even if those expectations are a figment of my imagination. This causes me lots of stress that distracts me from being productive and the cycle continues.

If I ever seem to apologize excessively for anything, like not being active on the forum for a while, this is why.
"Only dummies call people dummy, dummy!"
-some fairy in "Breath of Fire III"

Grad school is hard, you guys.
Shu Ryorin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Location: Canada, wandering the less-frozen-than-Alaska-but-still-cold wastes of grad school

Unread postby Shen Ai » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:43 pm

I used to be afraid of the dark. I got over it with age.

I still am afraid of spiders, and insects in general, especially the ones with lots of legs.

Had a fear of water once, but I love it now.
I've a brave warrior in my army. Shen Ai is his name, and he can slay this Hua Xiong.

Wei has no more famous commanders, Shen Ai takes lead of the vanguard!

Even a commoner on the street knows what Shen Ai is thinking!
Shen Ai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby mrbeate » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:13 am

I have a fear of handing in late work.

The fear of breast implant surgery performed on me.

That's about it. Not really afraid of anything else.
Smoke, drink, relieve my stress
mrbeate
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Striga » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:18 am

mrbeate wrote:I have a fear of handing in late work.

Same here.

Shen Ai wrote:I used to be afraid of the dark. I got over it with age.

I still am afraid of spiders, and insects in general, especially the ones with lots of legs.

I actually always liked both a lot.

Shen Ai wrote:Had a fear of water once, but I love it now.

Not afraid of water, but I really hate swimming (I have bronze cross though...the torture :devil: ).

Of others, fear of castration, and walking over glass floors on very tall buildings. Looking over a railing is perfectly fine, but not when you can't see anything under you (the drop towers too, I guess).
"Immense power is fun! You should try it sometime." -Syndra (favourite quote XD)
Striga
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shen Ai » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:27 am

Oh yeah, glass flooring, now that scares me to pieces. I hate those stairs with gaps in them, makes me feel like i can fall through. I dislike heights, and I have a severe fear of drowning and plane crashes, which is surprising, given that my favourite show Lost is al about a plane crash.

I also have a fear of randomly being drafted into the army. I have longish hair now? I couldn't do it! I would probably either get shot in training or hung as a coward.
I've a brave warrior in my army. Shen Ai is his name, and he can slay this Hua Xiong.

Wei has no more famous commanders, Shen Ai takes lead of the vanguard!

Even a commoner on the street knows what Shen Ai is thinking!
Shen Ai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:36 pm

Bees, wasps, general stingy things.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby TooMuchBaijiu » Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:21 am

Dogs used to scare the hell out of me. When I was two, this rottweiler jumped on me and it took years for me to get over it. A friend of mine owned this American pit bull and I couldn't even go to his house.

Now I'm scared of cancer and heart disease, enough to curtail my favorite addicti...habits. I can't quit for real, though. Can't quite imagine life without bourbon, Camels and steak.
I don't write fanfic, but if I did it would involve Zhou Yu and Zheng He fighting to win the heart of Lai Choi San. Then I'd make them join forces to fight Ming the Merciless, who secretly works for Master Li. I'd squeeze Lu Bu in there somehow.
TooMuchBaijiu
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to The Pub, Timeless Threads