Phobias: what are you afraid of?

Best threads of The Pub, for your viewing pleasure.

Re: Phobias: what are you afraid of?

Unread postby Shen Ai » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:50 pm

Horses hate me for some reason. Whenever i go near one they go berserk. That put me off them. When I was in India I took a camel ride. I had no idea that those things were gigantic to that degree. Plus, without a proper saddle I felt like I was in California during the regular Earthquake time. So yeah, I love animals, just from a very safe distance.
I've a brave warrior in my army. Shen Ai is his name, and he can slay this Hua Xiong.

Wei has no more famous commanders, Shen Ai takes lead of the vanguard!

Even a commoner on the street knows what Shen Ai is thinking!
Shen Ai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby MhiHayoli » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:52 am

I'm afrait of the darkness... .

Might sound stupid, but before I moved to my new home I was living in an old house on a hill. There was a small forest area right in front. When I was three (father told me) there was a giant fire burning down the whole forest. It nearly got our house as well. We watched the fire from the distance... . Now there is only a bigh blank spot with rubble there. That all happened in one night. I could remember the fire.
When it getting dark and I try to sleep, I can still feel the fire right in front of my face.... . I'm scared of what might happen while it's dark. I lose every senses sometimes when I walk through dark hallways... .
"I do not speak to change minds. I do not trust in the sweetening lies you speak with false dignity. I care nothing for your worldly treasures and pity you all for you need them to feel value in life."
-LordBloodySoul-
MhiHayoli
Assistant

Location: I am now traveling with Lord Lu Bu, Tao and Umi Mari in search for a new home base.

Unread postby chinesecannibal » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:42 am

I am deathly afraid of heights. I'm around 6 feet and it's hard enough to keep myself balanced.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCYZZPwJr_c
chinesecannibal
Initiate

Unread postby Liu Yuante » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:59 am

HowSwiftThySword wrote:
James wrote:The good news is that if you cease to be, it won't be of much bother to you!
Falls into the realm of things not worth worrying about because you can't do a thing about it.

I used to ponder this quite frequently. I started as soon as I really tried to grasp it, once, and was overcome with a sense of hopelessness when I first really realized what it would mean to cease to be. Oddly enough, even though I eventually concluded that nobody really knows what comes next—they claim to, but it is a matter of faith—I expect there will be something. Life is too incredible a thing in my eyes for me to support such a negative outlook.
Yeah, that's my take on it, but still, sometimes insomnia creeps upon me and the idea of non-existing scares me, I can't do anything about it. I've already accepted death, and that it is inevitable, you're right, life is too ... miraculous for us just to cease.

You want another one to try? Walk outside and imagine yourself as a tiny speck on the surface of the planet - visualize outside of yourself, top down but try and scale it so you're comparing your current spatial awareness with your conception of how huge the planet is in comparison.

I did that once and immediately got the heebie jeebies and a cold chill. Bonus points - try and do the same with the Earth against the rest of the universe - yikes.

But yeah, on the death thing, I have to go with James on the "can't do anything about it" part - it can be a cop out when you use it to avoid taking any kind of action on things that you CAN control, but I find that "if it does it does, if it doesn't it doesn't" or other variations "it either will or it won't" etc to be very handy when dealing with stuff like this.

I tend to be a worrier, even if it's out of my control, so reminding myself of the actual simplicity of the situation and my inability to affect it, lets me get back on track and stop wasting time. Which leads to one of my big fears - that I will spend my life jumping from random tangent to random tangent and never be able to focus on doing anything useful, or even just focusing enough to clear out my enormous backlog of video games.

I'm also scared of getting lost on interstate exits I'm unfamiliar with, and while heights themselves don't scare me, heights + ledges do make me very wary.

Adrian
Liu Yuante
绯红王

Unread postby Xiahou Jia » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:18 pm

Dentists...Probably because I really don't like (or maybe simply really scared) to rely on others helping me while lying motionless and helpless.
Retired...
Xiahou Jia
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shen Ai » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:28 pm

I just got my wisdom teeth removed, so I can certainly add two things to my hate list:

Local anesthesia and wisdom teeth.
I've a brave warrior in my army. Shen Ai is his name, and he can slay this Hua Xiong.

Wei has no more famous commanders, Shen Ai takes lead of the vanguard!

Even a commoner on the street knows what Shen Ai is thinking!
Shen Ai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Xiahou Jia » Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:07 am

Shen Ai wrote:I just got my wisdom teeth removed, so I can certainly add two things to my hate list:

Local anesthesia and wisdom teeth.

Yeah I understand you perfectly. Took me 2 days to recover after the local last time the dentist played with my wisdom tooth. He did manage to save it so I'm grateful but..man, that was no fun...no fun at all.
Retired...
Xiahou Jia
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:58 pm

Tooth pain in general is just very unpleasant because there is nothing you can do to soothe it!
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby FoxWithWings » Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:04 am

A loved one dying.
"There's no one I'd rather be, than me" -Ralph
FoxWithWings
Master

Unread postby Bush Leagues » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:07 am

FoxWithWings wrote:A loved one dying.

Oof. That got morbid quick. :(

I think that's a perfectly rational fear though; I wouldn't really count is as a phobia.
Currently playing: Android: Netrunner LCG , Shadowrun (tabletop), and Warhammer Ancient Battle.

Pan Feng can destroy this Hua Xiong! A Han Fu ROTK IX After-Action Report.
One of the best posts ever about Pan Feng.
Bush Leagues
Sage

PreviousNext

Return to The Pub, Timeless Threads