Phobias: what are you afraid of?

Best threads of The Pub, for your viewing pleasure.

Phobias: what are you afraid of?

Unread postby James » Wed Jun 19, 2002 5:01 am

It seems nearly everyone has a phobia of some sort. Many are caused by events in childhood, even if it is something as simple as your father holding you up to see over the railing across the ocean.

I have only one real phobia: spiders (arachnophobia). I cannot stand the little things. I kill them without a second thought in my home and sometimes outside too. I am getting better about that part at least. If I see poisonous spiders near my home (black widows or brown recluses) they are dead.

I think it is because a brown recluse bit my father, you can still see the 2 inch diameter patch of dead skin on his foot.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Mengqi » Wed Jun 19, 2002 5:08 am

My phobia is of snakes (what-ever-the-phobia-for-that-is-phobia).
I mean, I can handle small non-poisonous ones for the most part. But whenever I see a snake on TV or anywhere, my heart starts pounding.

When I was younger, I had to scrape the leaves off the ground after winter. And due to the immense cold, the snakes would hide under the leaves for warmth. I shoveled the snakes up in mass quantities, they hissed and jumped, I freaked out and ran like I had never ran before.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all...and in the Darkness bind them.
Mengqi
Apprentice

Unread postby James » Wed Jun 19, 2002 5:24 am

Mengqi wrote:I mean, I can handle small non-poisonous ones for the most part. But whenever I see a snake on TV or anywhere, my heart starts pounding.

I love snakes; I think they are wonderful pets (except for when they manage to eat your other pets, but that is a whole different can of worms). This is my pet snake Rocky. Mengqi, you probably shouldn't look at that one, by the way.
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Iznoach, Legendary Dragon » Wed Jun 19, 2002 5:24 am

I have two phobias: Arachnaphobia (sp?) and whatever the word is for heights. I don't really know why I'm afraid of spiders, I just know that they freak me out when I see them. As for height's, I took a big step toward getting rid of that fear on Sunday, when I went to St. Louis, Missouri and went to the top of the "Gateway Arch". It was a really liberating experience, looking out the windows at the top and seeing the whole city laid out before you. I personally recommend it as therapy for anyone afraid of heights, and for anybody else, for that matter.
"Armed and dangerous, ain't too many can hang wit us
straight up weed no angel dust, label us Notorious..."--Biggie
Iznoach, Legendary Dragon
Gunslinger

Unread postby Iznoach, Legendary Dragon » Wed Jun 19, 2002 5:27 am

Zhuge Kongming wrote:
Mengqi wrote:I mean, I can handle small non-poisonous ones for the most part. But whenever I see a snake on TV or anywhere, my heart starts pounding.

I love snakes; I think they are wonderful pets (except for when they manage to eat your other pets, but that is a whole different can of worms). This is my pet snake Rocky. Mengqi, you probably shouldn't look at that one, by the way.

Cool snake, Zhuge Kongming. What type is it? I don't have a problem with snakes, but I plan on getting a bearded dragon whenever my financial situation gets a little better, cause they're quite expensive.
"Armed and dangerous, ain't too many can hang wit us
straight up weed no angel dust, label us Notorious..."--Biggie
Iznoach, Legendary Dragon
Gunslinger

Unread postby Zhou Gongjin » Wed Jun 19, 2002 5:31 am

Fear of being abandonned
He who exercises government by means of his virtue may be compared to the north polar star, which keeps its place and all the stars turn towards it.
-孔夫子
Zhou Gongjin
鋼のチビ

Unread postby Anshi » Wed Jun 19, 2002 5:33 am

Fear of dying alone.
Anshi
Refined Literati Emperor

Unread postby James » Wed Jun 19, 2002 5:41 am

Iznoach, Legendary Dragon wrote:Cool snake, Zhuge Kongming. What type is it? I don't have a problem with snakes, but I plan on getting a bearded dragon whenever my financial situation gets a little better, cause they're quite expensive.

He is a rock python, as an adult they can kill a full-grown cow. How is that for a house pet?

Anshi wrote:Fear of dying alone.

Yes... I had overlooked that. It is a genuine fear of mine as well.
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Jimayo » Wed Jun 19, 2002 5:57 am

I'm scared of heights, and bugs.
98% of the internet population has a Myspace. If you're part of the 2% that isn't an emo bastard, copy and paste this into your sig.
Jimayo
Lord of the Thirteen Hells

Location: Nothingness. And that's where I'll be returning in oh, about 15 minutes.

Unread postby Dennis » Wed Jun 19, 2002 6:30 am

Anshi wrote:Fear of dying alone.

*nods*
That would suck so bad...

I also have a more superficial fear of heights..., it's kinda small, I am ok when I fly, but I can't stand crossing bridges.
Dennis
Mutha Canucka

Next

Return to The Pub, Timeless Threads