Is Anyone Else a Pro-Wrestling Fan?

Best threads of The Pub, for your viewing pleasure.

Re: Is Anyone Else a Pro-Wrestling Fan?

Unread postby Ranbir » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:25 pm

Soap operas are generally popular. Throw in partial nudity and violence, you've got yourself a winner.

Besides, it was a great stepping stone for THE ROCK.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby tofu » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:11 pm

Shikanosuke wrote:Can someone explain to me the fascination with this sport? Or how it qualifies as professional?

I don't follow wrestling, and I really don't care who wins, but if its on TV and theres nothing else to do, it's kinda amusing to watch men in tights and spandex underwear getting beaten to a pulp. :mrgreen:

And I have a question-how do they script these shows?
"His head looks as though it was stuck on a pole for sale," said Guan Yu, just glancing over the army at his feet.

"O green-eyed boy! O purple-bearded rat! Do you know me?"
tofu
Scholar

Unread postby Shikanosuke » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:39 pm

First of all, thanks for not taking offense. This is me not arguing, but merely trying to get inside the head's of those who like wrestling.

Butters wrote:Eh, some things are just simply entertaining. Entertainment doesn't have to be intelligent or have substance. There are some things that are enjoyable, simply because they're outlandish and don't require tons of thought. There are times when I'm in the mood to use my brain, such as when I read good novels or journal articles, create maps, and so forth, and there are times when I just want to kick back and not think about anything. It's not that professional wrestling is the highest form of entertainment I can comprehend; as a matter of fact, I enjoy it, because it isn't.

Oh I fully understand what I'd calling 'dumbing out'. It it just that I find wrestling so outlandish as to offend the senses. I guess it boils down to a matter of opinion, and I appreciate you sharing yours with me.

Ranbir wrote:Soap operas are generally popular. Throw in partial nudity and violence, you've got yourself a winner.

Fair enough, perhaps what offends me is the kind of people I would have to share with in viewing it, and I don't mean you guys..I mean..you know the stereotypical kind.

From a critical film-viewer's point of view, I'd probably have to say that was a bad thing since he is a horrible actor.
From my personal view, I am glad because for some reason I do enjoy him.
On a converse side, it is humerous (to me) to note that wrestling is where actors/athletes go when they fail out of their respective niches.
Shikanosuke
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Butters » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:07 am

Ranbir wrote:Soap operas are generally popular. Throw in partial nudity and violence, you've got yourself a winner.

That's pretty much it.

tofu wrote:I don't follow wrestling, and I really don't care who wins, but if its on TV and theres nothing else to do, it's kinda amusing to watch men in tights and spandex underwear getting beaten to a pulp. :mrgreen:

And I have a question-how do they script these shows?

I can't speak for all federations, since I don't know how they do it everywhere, but in the WWE, there is usually a script saying who will win the match, approximately how much time the match is supposed to take, the basic flow of the match, and any special events, such as someone coming out to interfere. Depending on the wrestlers in the match, there may be more or less freedom given in scripting the match.

For example, in the match between Christian and Chris Jericho on last week's ECW was apparently called almost entirely in the ring. Those two performers are proven veterans who have known each other for about a decade, maybe a little more, and have considerable ring chemistry. They were given the opportunity to do whatever they wanted, as long as the finish was done correctly and they didn't go way over time. If I had to guess, I'd say the Undertaker vs. Shawn Michaels match at this past Wrestlemania was probably similarly done. Now, if one or more of these performers had less experience or if there were a number of special events that needed to occur, they would have been given less freedom. There are times when wrestlers have a considerable number of their spots specifically scripted.

Moreover, scripts can be edited numerous times before they are decided. The creative team may change things around, or Vince or Stephanie McMahon may change things themselves. (For those who know absolutely nothing about wrestling, Vince McMahon is the head of WWE, and Stephanie McMahon is his daughter, who currently is the head of the creative department.) Scripts may change up to the final moments before the match starts. Also, wrestlers and others within the organization sometimes lobby to change the script for various reasons. Of course, if someone gets injured or has to otherwise become suddenly unavailable, scripts change, too.

This isn't everything in regard to scripts, but I think it gives you a basic idea of how it works.

Shikanosuke wrote:First of all, thanks for not taking offense. This is me not arguing, but merely trying to get inside the head's of those who like wrestling.

Oh I fully understand what I'd calling 'dumbing out'. It it just that I find wrestling so outlandish as to offend the senses. I guess it boils down to a matter of opinion, and I appreciate you sharing yours with me.

It would have been unreasonable for me to take offense. Like you said, it does just boil down to taste. Some people like wrestling. Others like reality shows, sitcoms, soap operas, or what have you. It's just different strokes for different folks.
"Oh, boy! He's cheesed out of his mind!"
My YouTube channel | Megavideo backup
Butters
Master

Unread postby Hyper90 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:58 am

well wrestling is similar to watching a drama or a normal tv show.
just pretend its like a drama of physical actions or should i say, violence . but it is sports , just we watch world cups and such.

wrestling is sports entertainment.

they entertain people. thats why.

btw im a fan of the undertaker. :mrgreen:
"There are five possible operations for any army. If you can fight, fight; if you cannot fight, defend; if you cannot defend, flee; if you cannot flee, surrender; if you cannot surrender, die. " Sima Yi

take a look please
Hyper90
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Kayzr » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:02 pm

These days, wrasslin isn't even what it was 10 years. I watched it fanatically from the early 80s up until, oh, 2004 or so. I've seen some of what passes for wrasslin these days and I'm not impressed.
Let us begin with Zeus, whom we mortals never leave unspoken.
For every street, every market-place is full of Zeus.
Even the sea and the harbour are full of this deity.
Everywhere everyone is indebted to Zeus.
For we are indeed his offspring.
Kayzr
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Hyper90 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:47 am

pretty obvious storyline eh?

yeah they gets less *intense*
"There are five possible operations for any army. If you can fight, fight; if you cannot fight, defend; if you cannot defend, flee; if you cannot flee, surrender; if you cannot surrender, die. " Sima Yi

take a look please
Hyper90
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:55 am

Wrestling is boring, it's nothing but sex these days. I watched wrestling when it was funny and exciting to watch back when the steroid freak Ultimate Warrior would run to the ring and start acting crazy. Hulk Hogan flexing and it even got to the point where I knew exactly what would happen before it occurred.

The late 80's through late 90's were the best days for wrestling in my opinion. From Hulk Hogan to The Rock.
Brutus the Barber Beefcake was a funny character as well as guys like The Bushwhackers.

I enjoyed watching The Rock. In fact I would watch wrestling on Monday nights when I was in H.S. just to hear him pump some funny line about checking someone into the Smackdown hotel and call them a Jabroni (sure I spelled it wrong).

Even the girls in my school and other schools in NYC watched wrestling, of course only to see "the sexy" Dwayne Johnson and the beer guzzling Steve Austin. You could hear nothing but, how sexy The Rock looked on the train going to school.

Funny thing is even at work today one of my co-workers were talking about how sexy he is. Sex sells and Vince McMahon is cashing in. I have stopped on that channel every once in awhile to see what's going on but, it's a turn off these days.

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Mikhail » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:32 pm

One of the best performers of this generation has recently announced his retirement from professional wrestling. Adam Copeland, best known as WWE Superstar Edge, has announced his retirement from the business on last Monday's RAW due to ongoing neck and arm problems from injuries sustained while working. Because of this, he has not been medically cleared to step into the wrestling ring anymore thereby forcing him to retire much earlier than he wanted (he had previously announced that he was planning to retire in a few years - possibly at a Wrestlemania in Toronto).

Possibly the only good thing to come out of this wrestling-wise is that Christian might now get his shot to win the title. Sure, Alberto Del Rio is being pushed to the moon, but with Edge's retirement, I can see Christian winning simply due to the sympathy he'll get for being associated with Edge as his best friend. Think of how Rey Mysterio won the title soon after Eddie Guerrero died...
Soweneul Malhaebwa (Tell me your wish).
Mikhail
Great Sage Equaling Heaven

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:27 am

Wow, I know I haven't watched wrestling much over the past 5 years. Edge was probably my favorite wrestler after The Rock jumped into being a full-time movie star. The last I really watched of wrestling was when he first started with the Rated R superstar stuff and he was messing with Lita - then the Matt Hardy crap and then Vicki Guerrero. I can see the Christian angle paying off on his behalf but, I think Eddie Guerrero dying is quite a bit different than Edge being forced to retire. But I guess if Jeff Hardy is capable of being a champion, so is Christian.

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to The Pub, Timeless Threads