Official STAR WARS Thread

Best threads of The Pub, for your viewing pleasure.

Re: Official STAR WARS Thread

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:33 pm

Gray Riders wrote:
You might have spotted something I haven't but what do you think the spaarti cylinders are contradicted by in the original trilogy? It seems to me the EU went out of their way to stop them being an issue with each other.

Nothing explicit, but the novel definitely seems to be giving the impression these were supposed to be related to the Clone Wars--Zahn's commentary for Heir to the Empire confirmed he was writing under the impression the republic fought against the Clones, with mentions as to how many of the clones they faced during the war were unstable. Later EU written post-prequels seems to have made it clear that they're separate methods from what the Kamino used.

Interesting, that must be a nuance I missed. I'm blaming over familiarity with the text! :lol:
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:04 pm

I've just finished Vector Prime, the opening book in the New Jedi Order series. The first two thirds were a complete drag. I don't think Salvatore is that great a writer; for fans of the Drizzt series I know that is tantamount to heresy, I enjoy those stories but don't think they are particularly well written. If this is what many people judge the whole series on I get why they've got such a dismal reputation within the fan base. However it comes alive in the last section after the big event,
the death of Chewbacca
, which gives the story poignancy.

I'm pleased to have finished it - it took me longer to read this one book than the entire Thrawn trilogy and to be moving onto other books in the series which I recall far more favourably!
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Gray Riders » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:17 pm

Episode IX teaser is out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adzYW5DZoWs
Palpatine's laugh at the end... :shock:

I finished the Thrawn trilogy weeks ago, but too much has come up lately to write my thoughts yet. I want to get a final overlook out soon, though.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:22 am

The trailer does look incredible!

Seeing Lando and Chewie together the Falcon cockpit began to mend some wounds.

Yes, that laugh, I'm so very excited about that.

What about the name? I presumed that it refers to Rey parentage. I've never believed Kylo Ren - he was just saying whatever he thought would turn her.

I've not seen anyone else speculate that though. One theory I've read is that Luke was the Last Jedi, Rey will set up a new group called the "Skywalkers". Which will fit with the titles of the previous 3rd instalments (Return of the Jedi, Revenge of the Sith and now Rise of the Skywalker). I can't say it's got me convinced though.

I'm almost at the end of my read through. I will have read 63 of the 154 novels since November. Once I'm done I will post up a list of my 10 favourite and 5 least favourite entries.
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:48 pm

I watched Solo last night. It's taken me a while to come to terms with a Solo not played by Harrison Ford but when I sat down I enjoyed it. Wasn't the best movie ever but it was enjoyable.

I didn't like the origin of the name "Solo". I always liked it being a last connection to a lost family.

What I did like was the twist of Emilia Clarke's character being Sith (?), having him being spurned in love before is good arc for him before he meets Leia.
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:37 pm

Watched Solo, felt it took awhile for things to click with Alden Ehrenreich lacking the charisma and other characters sometimes feel like they took awhile to escape from "played by such and such" with Paul Bettany, Woody Harrelson and Thandie Newton the only ones to click from start. It was a decent adventure, had a bit of humour, romance, decent action that went on slightly too long near the end, a underwritten but well performed baddie and Lando and the robot have a nice connection.

Did feel its failure to build up characters like the baddie and the romantic lead undercut some of its story moments, it relied on moments to make up for lack of character building but it took its toll by the end when some figures needed that sense of depth. Don't think it, bar some nice nods, linked up future Solo with this prequel Solo well enough in terms of character
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Previous

Return to The Pub, Timeless Threads