Official STAR WARS Thread

Best threads of The Pub, for your viewing pleasure.

Re: Official STAR WARS Thread

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Mon May 28, 2018 9:06 am

I would guess it is a combination of various factors as well. Personally, I am not seeing it in the theater because I don't have much interest in revisiting the old characters (particularly Han Solo, honestly) in the middle of watching stories about new ones. Marvel is sort of able to work around this by connecting movies that took place in the past to current ones - case in point, I probably have to go see Captain Marvel to get some plot points in Avengers 4. But after watching Rogue One (and not in the theater), while I liked some of the new characters enough, knowing that they won't appear in anything else and that the events chiefly only connected to the original trilogy, I don't have any expectation for Solo to do it differently.

In short, I feel like the Star Wars execs don't seem to have a cohesive vision about where they want this franchise to go (this is really clear after reading Last Jedi behind the scenes talk about Rey), so I don't think audiences will feel compelled to go watch everything in the theater.

But it is worth noting that I am a casual fan.
Gamefaqs: KongZhou
Steam: heinous_won
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Gray Riders » Mon May 28, 2018 2:27 pm

Sakae Wu wrote:Wow, that is surprising! I actually didn't even know it was out in the states already. It's doing horribly overseas apparently, maybe Japan might help it a little next month. Not enought to save it though.

I've seen very few ads, myself. I only knew it was out because of posts about it on reddit.

Zyzyfer wrote:In short, I feel like the Star Wars execs don't seem to have a cohesive vision about where they want this franchise to go (this is really clear after reading Last Jedi behind the scenes talk about Rey), so I don't think audiences will feel compelled to go watch everything in the theater.

But it is worth noting that I am a casual fan.

This is not an uncommon opinion among more hardcore fans, either. The original trilogy wasn't really planned out, but trying to repeat that is trying to get lightning to strike twice in the same place--not impossible, but not likely.
I feel like the closest thing to a plan they have is "copy the Marvel Cinematic Universe's success".
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jia Nanfeng » Mon May 28, 2018 3:12 pm

I too didn’t know Solo came out, until a friend told me he saw it. Where was the hype? Where were the ads? I feel like the past few SW movies were thrown into my face at every turn but I saw hardly anything about Solo. (Granted I don’t watch TV, just streaming services, but even social media was quiet.)

I don’t really care to see it due to most of the same reasons discussed so far. I’m just not into “young prequel character” movies in general, and couldn’t care less about seeing a non-Ford version of him.

Plus I haven’t enjoyed much SW stuff for a while. Rogue One was fantastic imo, but Ep. 7 and 8 were just passable to me, and I have no interest in any of the current or upcoming TV series. I feel like I’m just not part of the current target audience.

I’ll see Solo whenever it’s on a streaming service probably, but for now I’ll sadly be part of the “nobody is seeing the movie” statistic.
Jia Nanfeng
Academic

Unread postby Gray Riders » Mon May 28, 2018 4:44 pm

I forgot to mention this earlier, but for those who haven't heard there will be a film about Boba Fett directed by James Mangold.

I'm wondering if it'll be another original trilogy era film or if they'll take an idea from Legends and have him escape the Sarlacc, setting the film between ROTJ and TFA.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Mon May 28, 2018 10:46 pm

Actually the lack of advertising could be another reason. Most major upcoming Hollywood stuff gets heavily advertised in Korea, but the Solo film barely made a blip on the radar here.
Gamefaqs: KongZhou
Steam: heinous_won
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Gray Riders » Mon May 28, 2018 10:49 pm

Zyzyfer wrote:Actually the lack of advertising could be another reason. Most major upcoming Hollywood stuff gets heavily advertised in Korea, but the Solo film barely made a blip on the radar here.

Yeah, I've been seeing that suggested several time today, too. Commercials for the other post-Lucas Star Wars films were airing regularly but I don't think I've seen any for Solo.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sakae Wu » Tue May 29, 2018 5:36 am

Gray Riders wrote:I forgot to mention this earlier, but for those who haven't heard there will be a film about Boba Fett directed by James Mangold.

I'm wondering if it'll be another original trilogy era film or if they'll take an idea from Legends and have him escape the Sarlacc, setting the film between ROTJ and TFA.

I heard about this and also an Obi-Wan film were in the early stages. There's some speculation if Solo bombs that one or both might be affected.

TLJ was a huge money maker though and Disney seems determined to just crank more out.
"I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." -Confucius
Sakae Wu
Assistant

Unread postby Sun Fin » Thu May 31, 2018 10:08 am

As a huge Star Wars fan I'm reluctant to see it. For me it's because Han Solo and Harrison Ford are synonymous. I will see it in cinema though as I have every film since they killed my beloved EU. A Boba Fett movie has potential and does excite me though, the suit is what is iconic there, they can get away with a different actor. I'd love it to follow the Bounty Hunter arc in the Legends series, can't see that happening though.
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jia Nanfeng » Thu May 31, 2018 3:25 pm

Sun Fin wrote: the suit is what is iconic there, they can get away with a different actor. I'd love it to follow the Bounty Hunter arc in the Legends series, can't see that happening though.

Sadly, suits with full-face helmets just don’t work anymore.

Actors contractually demand facetime. It’s why Spider-Man keeps taking off his mask, why Venom in Spider-Man 3 kept becoming his boring human self (I fully expect the same in the upcoming one), why Jango Fett barely wore his helmet, why the recent Power Rangers movie was 99% unmasked, why Kylo Ren took off his awesome helmet so quickly, etc. etc.

I guarantee the Boba Fett film will barely show the full helmeted costume. He’ll stupidly take it off every fight.
Jia Nanfeng
Academic

Unread postby Sun Fin » Thu May 31, 2018 3:27 pm

Huh, that hadn't occurred to me. As long as he wears it for the action scenes I guess I can live with it.
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to The Pub, Timeless Threads