RTK X: Discussion Thread

Koei’s Romance of the Three Kingdoms game series—discuss it here.

Re: RTK X: Discussion Thread

Unread postby Calamitus » Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:23 am

So they increased an amount of money instead of reducing number of officers (the scenario really needs it for balance). How disappointing.
Calamitus
Apprentice

Unread postby LordCBrasil » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:45 pm

Calamitus wrote:So they increased an amount of money instead of reducing number of officers (the scenario really needs it for balance). How disappointing.

Sure it is. It would be way more challenging if other forces could have this number of officers and the same number of resources as well. Basically in this scenario all you have to do is take care of the main forces (Cao Cao, Liu Bei, Sun Jian) and you automatically have a greater chance to win the game.

A scenario that (I think) is to amplify the possibilities of battles and cause us to think more about who to destroy first do not reach its goal at all, in my opinion.
-Sleeping Dragon: always prepared, cautious and clever, hard working... a brilliant strategist.-
LordCBrasil
Academic

Unread postby rk47 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:14 am

Being a vassal is frustrating as hell if your lord is highly incompetent.
My experience playing as a vassal of Sun who never triggered Red Cliff reminded me how a strong start from Cao Cao will always overpower the rest of the map. Cao Cao is possibly the only AI capable of dominating so hard due to the wealth of talent at his disposal. I defended a single city for like 5 years, only to lose it all in a massive three pronged offensive and the resulting divided efforts.

Yes, Warlord AP control is amazing, but if your forces lack those (Zhou Yu died, Lu Xun joined Cao Cao) and you're playing a non-Warlord character, prepare for the hardest grind until you out-tech the enemy with Marksman Towers and Catapults.
rk47
Assistant

Unread postby DragonAtma » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:35 am

If you're a vassal, just get appointed governor of a city, then go to town on the CPU. Last I checked, Sun Jian's force had two districts:
(1) Sun Jian's district: Jingzhou
(2) Atma's district: Yizhou, Liangzhou, SIli, Yuzhou, Xuzhou, Yangzhou

It's a very good thing for Sun Jian that I plan to stay loyal! XD
Unless I specifically say otherwise, assume I am talking about historical Three Kingdoms, and not the novel.

In memory of my beloved cats, Anastasia (9/30/06-9/18/17, illness) and Josephine (1/19/06-9/23/17, cancer).
DragonAtma
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby LordCBrasil » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:34 pm

I still dream on unifying the land being a vassal/prefect/viceroy of Lu Bu (9th scenario again). Being my second favorite character in the 3K, it's almost impossible to do that, and I've tried like 5 times already!

Ps.: When I finally get to be prefect, Cao Cao maul Lu Bu's main city like hell and I can't do anything to help cause I got no troops. :(
-Sleeping Dragon: always prepared, cautious and clever, hard working... a brilliant strategist.-
LordCBrasil
Academic

Unread postby Icabola » Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:09 pm

Can we (altogether here) try to work together on TOTAL REBUILD RTK X. The finances will be from community. Ill be glad to contribute 100-500USD to make it happen. PLS MAKE YOUR VOICE!

Thanks.

PS I ve done little in the past here :

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8041&start=2870

BUT. I LOST my WORK due to HD crash.
Icabola
Tyro

Unread postby MrFunTimes » Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:26 am

What is the general consensus on the usefulness of each skill? I'd like to hear everyone's two cents, especially on the usefulness of the domestic skills that aren't hire and drill (I feel hard pressed to ever use them).

Also, have all the changes in advance mode been listed? I know npcs have greater attributes and money is more scarce. I'm afraid increasing the difficulty will reduce the chance of successfully using tactics in battle for the player, or increase the chance for the a.i. (even in normal difficulty this seems to be in favor of the a.i.).

Sorry in advance if this has already been discussed in this thread (I've done my best to sift through it, but I'm sure I've missed some posts).
MrFunTimes
Tyro

Unread postby Sakae Wu » Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:04 pm

MrFunTimes wrote:What is the general consensus on the usefulness of each skill? I'd like to hear everyone's two cents, especially on the usefulness of the domestic skills that aren't hire and drill (I feel hard pressed to ever use them).

Also, have all the changes in advance mode been listed? I know npcs have greater attributes and money is more scarce. I'm afraid increasing the difficulty will reduce the chance of successfully using tactics in battle for the player, or increase the chance for the a.i. (even in normal difficulty this seems to be in favor of the a.i.).

Sorry in advance if this has already been discussed in this thread (I've done my best to sift through it, but I'm sure I've missed some posts).

Hi! I've played X a ton but not really an expert. Even so, I thought I'd share my thoughts~
As far as domestic skills trade is the most important imo, with tech a pretty close 2nd. Well, depending where you are located.
Starting out, money is usually a pretty big issue and small cities have very low income obviously. Everything is predicated on wealth.
The hiring skill is good too but order, repair and drill are a bit of a waste.

As far as the other skills..charge, missile, unison and blunder are great to have. Settle and confuse can also be quite handy. Most of the others I haven't experimented with a whole lot so maybe there is someone with more insight.

In regards to advanced difficulty, I haven't really noticed any change in success rates for tactics. If there is, it's been pretty minimal in my experience.
Sakae Wu
Student

Unread postby rotkanime » Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:48 pm

Hey guys.

I am trying to trigger an event with Liu Bei that I did with Zhao Yun but it's not working when I am playing as Liu Bei.

When I was playing Zhao Yun in June 200: Two Powers Collide at Guan Du scenario, I was able to get to the part when Liu Bei reforms at Ru Nan after defecting from Yuan Shao. I also triggered the next event when Yuan Shao calls for a campaign against Cao Cao and lost and eventually dies from illness. The next event is when Cao Cao attacks Ru Nan and Liu Bei escapes to Liu Baio where Liu Baio shelters him and ends up giving Liu Bei Xin Ye. I eventually decided to quit playing Zhao Yun because Liu Bei did absolutely nothing as ruler and that pissed me off. I mean I guess it made sense since in history, Liu Bei did nothing for seven years after given Xinye.

So I decided to switch to Liu Bei but I can't activate the event where he gets Shelter from Liu Biao. Does anybody have any insight and why this isn't working? Do I need to keep my troop count low? Cao Cao just attacks regularly and no event is triggered.
rotkanime
Tyro

Unread postby rk47 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:35 am

No idea on triggering events, but for the most useful Skills out there:
1. Warlord
Direct control allows your army to be more flexible with placements and you no longer have to micromanage 3-4 units and instead dump all your AP on a single most effective unit. Don't over-do it, but an army with 2 Warlord will wreck most enemies with ease.

2. Entice
It's always annoying to have to fight past 50,000 troops, break down a gate, or climb over two walls just to take over the city. Wouldn't it be faster to just lure the leader out, surround him, and capture him to end the fight? This is only applicable vs Low INT officers btw, which is why I always spare the stupid ones (INT<60) and execute the smarter ones if they refuse to work for me (INT>60). I took out all of Yuan Shao's sons with this strat. They never survived the ambushes. And of course, I let them go upon capture.

3. Spy
Sometimes you want the info to be exposed for a long term, and this helps you just that. It's not that crucial, but helpful to keep tabs on your enemies. Spy lets you plant spies to keep the information displayed for a longer time than usual.

4. Blunder
Another great skill but require the strategist to be close enough in harms way unlike Entice.

5. Missile
A chance to ignite a flame on hit from range on top of the ranged damage? I definitely like this when the wind conditions favor it. A fire is like another unit on your side, blocking movements and dealing damage. Take note that even Horsebow Units can launch Missiles.

6. Hire
Very useful to maintain high experience on veteran units, hastening their upgrade.

7. Rally
Rallying seems wasteful when used on just one unit, but when set up right, rallying five units at once can be immensely rewarding. You have thirty days to finish the fight. Why not spend the first few days rallying 5 units while the rest of the veterans get into position? Also, it is a very good way to increase strategic experience to unlock the immensely useful Warlord skill.

Another powerful item effect to note is 'Red Hare'
The 'Retreat Certain' effect made sure any escape is guaranteed in battles, this is extremely powerful for harassment raids. You need to remember that any development order requires a month to complete, if an attack occurs, it will cancel all orders for that city. So what do I do? I bring in Lu Bu with just 10,000 Horsebows, attack and employ ambush tactic to remain out of sight. If I see targets of opportunity, I walk out and destroy, and reserve enough AP to return to Ambush position.

Do this for 30 days and the defenders would've claimed a very hollow victory. Your budget is 20,000 food and 10,000 men.

They lost a month worth of supplies consumed by their entire garrison, and their entire work for the month is canceled. I did this 5 times in a row, and eventually the defense just crumbled with the City Order at 33 due to the constant battles.
rk47
Assistant

PreviousNext

Return to Romance of the Three Kingdoms