RTK X: Discussion Thread

Koei’s Romance of the Three Kingdoms game series—discuss it here.

Re: RTK X: Discussion Thread

Unread postby fighting_bacon » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:14 am

Ah, RTKX. I actually had a lot of fun playing as a free officer who just jumps into random battles to help. That builds up the unit's experience really quick, and after upgrading it, it's pretty easy to mow out the competition.
fighting_bacon
Tyro

Unread postby Araknir » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:56 pm

Hello!

I needed to make a comeback here, I was there a few years ago under another usernames but..I forgot it xD

So I have a problem with this game. Everything is fine, (I have puk + english patch) but everytime I quit the game, all of my data from the collection is lost. Every events, every officers list..

So I wanted to know what is the problem?

Araknir
Tyro

Unread postby LordCBrasil » Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:23 pm

Been a long time without visiting, but I intend to keep posting now.

I was wondering if there is any chance that forces commanded by weak officers like Han Fu (if I remember correctly, all his stats are below 60) can win something in this game, or are they always predestined to lose? I'm talking about the ninth scenario, btw.
-Sleeping Dragon: always prepared, cautious and clever, hard working... a brilliant strategist.-
LordCBrasil
Academic

Unread postby Enganacious » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:01 am

LordCBrasil wrote:Been a long time without visiting, but I intend to keep posting now.

I was wondering if there is any chance that forces commanded by weak officers like Han Fu (if I remember correctly, all his stats are below 60) can win something in this game, or are they always predestined to lose? I'm talking about the ninth scenario, btw.

So far as the AI winning, no. So far as winning by playing them, absolutely.

ROTK X is one of the games where I really don't care how strong another force becomes, because winning battles is all about having a select few officers. Namely 4 officers with Warlord and high stats for lots of AP, and 1 officer to control as your "hammer" and directing them with the other four. Combine this with either bugged or legitimately gotten units with Towers, and you can win pretty much the whole game with 5 units.

Doing the above with Marksmen btw, is obscene, I've taken out as much as ~30k enemy troops in a single expense of AP, hitting multiple units. Not to mention structures providing no protection to the soldiers inside means objectively taking cities (by routing all the commander's units) is super easy, and if you have rams you can also just knock down citadels as well.

I seem to have forgotten how to get all 10 Qing Elite units from the 2nd scenario event. I used to have it down, what with save/load and initiating events to get all 10 Qing Elite units that appear when Pu Yang is first taken by Cao Cao. Then I would save and load as needed to get those 10 units merged to 5 with all weapons. This doesn't matter too much, because I was playing some earlier and using Armored troops, which aside from the fire weakness are just flat out better. Unit attack damage doesn't seem to be as big a factor as defense. Armored Troops can cleave thru units with minimal losses, save for being set on fire. Luckily there are ways to minimize this being a problem. If you get an officer or two in your primary fighting group with Aero, you can keep it raining which basically shuts off that possibility. You also cannot be set aflame on city walls; and you take normal fire damage when on water. True you have to make them from two fairly weak cities; but I like the challange tbh.
Enganacious
Tyro

Unread postby LordCBrasil » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:59 am

Enganacious wrote:
LordCBrasil wrote:Been a long time without visiting, but I intend to keep posting now.

So far as the AI winning, no. So far as winning by playing them, absolutely.

ROTK X is one of the games where I really don't care how strong another force becomes, because winning battles is all about having a select few officers. Namely 4 officers with Warlord and high stats for lots of AP, and 1 officer to control as your "hammer" and directing them with the other four. Combine this with either bugged or legitimately gotten units with Towers, and you can win pretty much the whole game with 5 units.

Doing the above with Marksmen btw, is obscene, I've taken out as much as ~30k enemy troops in a single expense of AP, hitting multiple units. Not to mention structures providing no protection to the soldiers inside means objectively taking cities (by routing all the commander's units) is super easy, and if you have rams you can also just knock down citadels as well.

I've been using this strategy too, as my other troops can stay at the city to defend from attacks while I'm away. It's a little repetitive and I feel like I'm cheating, but winning with a 50000 soldiers army against a 100000 army using this strategy sure is worth it.
-Sleeping Dragon: always prepared, cautious and clever, hard working... a brilliant strategist.-
LordCBrasil
Academic

Unread postby Enganacious » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:07 pm

I try not to do it if I can win with like entice+ambush abuse.

If it's just a small force, I'll just mush them in melee combat. One of the benefits to Armored troops is you really don't lose a lot of troops attacking in close. Although Charge seems to increase casualties per attack on both sides.
Enganacious
Tyro

Unread postby LordCBrasil » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:33 pm

Although there are some 'ways' to win every battle, this game still continues to fascinate me.

I wonder if Koei could create some kind of ROTK Online, it would be fun.

What was the max. number of officers you put in only one city? Like, jumping from 500 Tech to 1500 in a month could be interesting.
LordCBrasil
Academic

Unread postby Bush Leagues » Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:49 am

I don't recall any max officers in a city. I mean, the Rise of Heroes scenario probably has something like 80 in Chen Liu, 70 in Lu Jiang (or wherever the Sun family starts), etc.

I did find a free-to-play ROTK MMORPG one time, but it wasn't particularly good. I can't even recall the name of it now. I might just have a distaste for MMOs in general, though. Also, it wasn't Koei.

EDIT: It being "not Koei" is not automatically a bad thing, but you did mention Koei, so I wanted to mention it was some other company.
Currently playing: Android: Netrunner LCG , Shadowrun (tabletop), and Warhammer Ancient Battle.

Pan Feng can destroy this Hua Xiong! A Han Fu ROTK IX After-Action Report.
One of the best posts ever about Pan Feng.
Bush Leagues
Sage

Unread postby LordCBrasil » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:45 am

Oh, so you did find some ROTK-based online game, well that's a start. Of course, a Koei game would be great.

I was talking about transfering the max number of officers to your main city, in a late game. I know it's not the most intelligent thing to do, I just wanted to know if it is possible to do that.
LordCBrasil
Academic

Unread postby Enganacious » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:44 pm

ROTKX has no limit on # of officers in any given city.

That said you basically want as many functional officers as you can have without it cutting into your quarterly revenue. Which is why in Rise of Heroes it starts Cao Cao, Liu Bei, and Sun Jian off with an outrageous amount of money. Cuz otherwise they'd be broke near instantly and be unable to use those officers to even build up trade.
Enganacious
Tyro

PreviousNext

Return to Romance of the Three Kingdoms