RTK I–V Discussion Thread

Koei’s Romance of the Three Kingdoms game series—discuss it here.

Do you think Koei’s Three Kingdoms has become worse or better with time?

Better!
48%
Worse…
19%
About the same…
17%
I haven’t played enough of them…
16%

Total votes : 136

Re: RTK I–V Discussion Thread

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:28 am

Oh shoot I missed this...

Skydree wrote:Hesitant to play Kong Rong? He has an amazing portrait...!

Sadly yes, his position is very difficult to play. But I can give you pointers as far as my strategy goes when I play him. It's a little bit of a hit or miss, but it usually works! His flag is pretty awesome as well. Nothing like seeing Bing, You, Ji and Qing united under it. ;-)

I'm sure I could handle him haha. Basically, if one can get to a winning position with Qiao Mao, who has all the cards stacked against him, then there is really nothing more difficult for proving one's ability. Average stats, next to Cao Cao, no freedom of movement, no hidden officers available early on, and a very short lifespan all in one little package.

I would imagine success with Kong Rong involves either abusing the item for food trick against Yuan Shao, waiting him out until he is too big to maintain himself in Nanpi and loyalties drop, or taking out Tao Qian quickly to obtain more officers. Although I would imagine the scenario where he starts off alone would be a bit more of a challenge!

As far as Wang Can goes, I am positive - he is in the game! But I have only seen him playing later scenarios ( I think he is in the fifth one only. Not appearing before, and being too old to appear later on). Never have I seen in through search, or through recruiting him, so I'm wondering if he might simply not be a hidden officer at all, but maybe just one that only appears in a single scenario. His portrait in RTK3 is pretty amazing. Also, it might help to say, that I play the SNES version.

It's been a looooong time since I played. But historically he was originally in Jing for a while after leaving Puyang, and refused to serve Liu Biao. Then he went north at some point to join Cao Cao. He probably has some weird conditions about his appearance. Maybe Dragon Atma will pop into this thread and shed a little light on things, because I doubt he is just in the one scenario.

Another question I have is regarding advisors. I have never really understood what makes an officer an advisor or general in that game. Generally, Generals need 70 in War, Army AND Naval Command - but following that rule, Cheng Pu couldn't be one, because he has 69 in war. Yet, he can be one! I think Yuan Shu or Dong Zhuo has another officer with a similar problem. Was it Zhang Xun, or Zhang Ji? I recall seeing a general with a stat of 69 in war. Similarly, a civil officer like Xin Pi, has better stats than an advisor like Guo Yi. I never really made heads or tails about it. :P But generally, it seemed like advisor need a combined total of 150 in Politics and Intelligence. But I doubt Guo Yi has that. From what I recall he had really low Intel, lower than Xin Pi, at any rate!

I assume it is predetermined with the historical officers, because yes, there are some discrepancies with a few people. The stats required are probably far more important for created officers...
Gamefaqs: KongZhou
Steam: heinous_won
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby wxlancer » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:30 am

awesome...i just posted on your thread over at LYS too. really looking forward to this, and also wondering if/how I can help
wxlancer
Tyro

Unread postby Skydree » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:13 am

Hehe, I rarely abuse the game in a way or another. To my experience, Yuan Shao is fully able to burn through his food on his own, granted you deny him of a second city to divide his forces and allow for two harvests. So what I usually do is first, recruit Xin Pi (Can take a couple searches) and recruit soldiers, so I appear the tougher fish out of the pond for Yuan Shao. Then I actively help out my neighbors, Liu Bei and Gongsun Zan. When done right, Liu Bei will be the prey of constant attacks. Make sure you send your troops in to help him when he is attacked. There is also a couple officers that you can recruit out of Yuan Shao. Chen Lin, Zhang He and Gao Lan. Keep a spy in his lands at all times, and as soon as he starts to attack recklessly and burn his food and gold up, attack. I once was able to defeat his army of 50 000 with a mere contingent of 5000 led by Kong Rong himself. No food means an easy victory. :) Once Yuan Shao is done, you are the only big fish in the pond. Keep the unloyal officers in Nan Pi, attack Liu Bei with what you got ( I usually try to invade him with a whole city, so he runs to the next, then I threaten him. by that point I helped enough times that his friendship level is high enough to join me as an officer.) Gongsun Zan is next, and quite easy. Unless he had Zhao Yun, he loses in every category. A very good point to make with Kong Rong, though, is Bei Hai has an extremely low population. You to keep an eye out for not recruiting too many soldiers, or you will ruin yourself!

As far as Qiao Mao goes, I spend my first turns checking the market for food, buying when it is profitable (about 30 000 units) and drafting recruits twice. Check for free officers every turn. You will have to resort to luck to find someone at first. Luckily most of your neighbors have hidden officers, so sometimes they end up moving to Pu Yang before being recruited. I kill time in the beginning by either training, or giving away 2000 food every turn for a +3 Order boost. Once you get an officer, send him as a spy to Cao Cao. Get Chen Gong, or Xun Yu/Xun You/Cheng Yu, depending on their loyalty. They do not start off with Cao Cao, so usually at least one of the three has bad loyalty. There is also Fu Gan and Liu Yan the civil officers that you can get. Han Fu also has a couple officers (Xin Ping, and two civil officers) you can recruit. After that, you have to play your cards steadily and cautiously. :)
Skydree
Tyro

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:31 am

Skydree wrote:As far as Qiao Mao goes, I spend my first turns checking the market for food, buying when it is profitable (about 30 000 units) and drafting recruits twice. Check for free officers every turn. You will have to resort to luck to find someone at first. Luckily most of your neighbors have hidden officers, so sometimes they end up moving to Pu Yang before being recruited. I kill time in the beginning by either training, or giving away 2000 food every turn for a +3 Order boost. Once you get an officer, send him as a spy to Cao Cao. Get Chen Gong, or Xun Yu/Xun You/Cheng Yu, depending on their loyalty. They do not start off with Cao Cao, so usually at least one of the three has bad loyalty. There is also Fu Gan and Liu Yan the civil officers that you can get. Han Fu also has a couple officers (Xin Ping, and two civil officers) you can recruit. After that, you have to play your cards steadily and cautiously. :)

That sounds quite risky!

I tend to take advantage of Tao Qian's military weakness when playing a nearby weaker lord. With Qiao Mao, I drafted max troops and then launched an attack on Tao Qian. The tricky part is simply securing that battlefield long enough to be able to pass through it. I may have trained troops for a few turns as well. Anyhoo, I was pretty quick about taking out Tao Qian and absorbing him. Then I did the same with Liu Yong down south. I abandoned everything and headed down to Jiangxia. From there, I was set up to pound on Liu Biao and Sun Jian, but Qiao Mao was also set to die very soon. I wasn't too worried since I had Taishi Ci to succeed him, but I also knew that the hard part was over and that I would steamroll the rest of the forces at this point, so that concluded that game.
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Xu Huang fan » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:40 am

been trying to get the hang of the older games, like 4, but its difficult cause i'm not familiar with the controls, like changing unit types for war.
Ding Feng/Sun Shang Xiang is my new one true crack pairing XD (thank you ROT3KXI)
Xu Huang fan
Langzhong

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:54 am

I dislike IV, at least the console version anyway. It is a clunky game and the only bit I actually enjoy is the mass duels when you break into a castle. Personally I would recommend sticking to II and/or III. They both have their fans but are solid enough games that don't leave you scratching your head.
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Skydree » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:27 am

Zyzyfer wrote:That sounds quite risky!

I tend to take advantage of Tao Qian's military weakness when playing a nearby weaker lord. With Qiao Mao, I drafted max troops and then launched an attack on Tao Qian. The tricky part is simply securing that battlefield long enough to be able to pass through it. I may have trained troops for a few turns as well. Anyhoo, I was pretty quick about taking out Tao Qian and absorbing him. Then I did the same with Liu Yong down south. I abandoned everything and headed down to Jiangxia. From there, I was set up to pound on Liu Biao and Sun Jian, but Qiao Mao was also set to die very soon. I wasn't too worried since I had Taishi Ci to succeed him, but I also knew that the hard part was over and that I would steamroll the rest of the forces at this point, so that concluded that game.

Well, the only risk is getting the first officer, really. :) Once that is secured you can tap into your main enemy's officer, and soldier bank, hehe. It's pretty easy to turn the tides, but yes, if you don't get your first fast, things do south pretty fast! I started a game since last we talked. Without having to reload, I now hold the entire central plains. Pu Yang, Ye, Xu Chang, Ru Nan, Qiao, Chen Liu, Luo Yang. Then Tao Qian and Liu Yong's lands. I also managed to threaten Cao Cao and Liu Bei into joining my force. :) Now, I need someone with a cool portrait in the events that Qiao Mao will die. Fei Wei might be cool. Or Jia Kui... :)
Skydree
Tyro

Unread postby Xu Huang fan » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:56 pm

Zyzyfer wrote:I dislike IV, at least the console version anyway. It is a clunky game and the only bit I actually enjoy is the mass duels when you break into a castle. Personally I would recommend sticking to II and/or III. They both have their fans but are solid enough games that don't leave you scratching your head.

yeah i had no idea where to start with the older games, but i'll take my luck with 3.
Ding Feng/Sun Shang Xiang is my new one true crack pairing XD (thank you ROT3KXI)
Xu Huang fan
Langzhong

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:00 pm

Xu Huang fan wrote:
Zyzyfer wrote:I dislike IV, at least the console version anyway. It is a clunky game and the only bit I actually enjoy is the mass duels when you break into a castle. Personally I would recommend sticking to II and/or III. They both have their fans but are solid enough games that don't leave you scratching your head.

yeah i had no idea where to start with the older games, but i'll take my luck with 3.

I love III mate give 'er a go!
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby unfies » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:24 pm

Xu Huang fan wrote:yeah i had no idea where to start with the older games, but i'll take my luck with 3.

3's a fairly solid game. I don't think you'll go wrong with it.

1 had a fair amount of stats and big numbers and stuff
2 distilled the game to simpler and fewer numbers
3 roared back with even more stats and big numbers again
4 changed gears for better or worse

Mechanics-wise, 3 also started adding complications which can either be viewed as a good thing or a bad thing. Not quite to the extreme that 4+ did... as things were still fairly generic... but it started along that route.

If you know 2's mechanics with enough experience - you can manipulate the AI in battle. It ()the AI) also makes some decisions concerning troop assignments that are somewhat questionable. Buutttttt... it provides a generic challenge at least.

I found 3 to be a push over for combat AI.

I didn't get very far in 4, didn't care for the game all that much - but the AI looked bone dead retarded concerning watching it play out on its own.

My personal preference is 2 :huohu:
unfies
Tyro

PreviousNext

Return to Romance of the Three Kingdoms