RTK I–V Discussion Thread

Koei’s Romance of the Three Kingdoms game series—discuss it here.

Do you think Koei’s Three Kingdoms has become worse or better with time?

Better!
48%
Worse…
19%
About the same…
17%
I haven’t played enough of them…
16%

Total votes : 136

Re: RTK I–V Discussion Thread

Unread postby 7ryota » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:14 pm

haha i did it..
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (199.63 KiB) Viewed 676 times
7ryota
Tyro

Unread postby renten973 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:00 pm

does anyone know how to fix the issue that the pc version keeps telling me that it failes to intialize direct x
renten973
Tyro

Unread postby Tao Qian » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:45 pm

Kind of curious, had someone tried to play online the older games?

I'm thinking in organising a ROTK II game online with more people using Teamviewer...
Tao Qian
Assistant

Unread postby unfies » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:03 pm

Tao Qian wrote:Kind of curious, had someone tried to play online the older games?

I'm thinking in organising a ROTK II game online with more people using Teamviewer...

I imagine via emulator net play is a strong possibility.

Also, SDragon if you're still around: i'm still shaken at the thought of Cha affects land/flood improvement. Can't wait to test it.
unfies
Tyro

Unread postby Skydree » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:35 am

Random question, I see a lot of you guys talking about RTK2. I was wondering if anyone ever datamined RTK3, for free / hidden officers? I still have a couple questions about it. Despite my many games, I was never able to find some of the officers (Wang Can, for instance.) And I was wondering if he simply not shows up as a free officer, and perhaps remain an officer to get through playing the later scenarios. I'd love to get a list of some kind!

Also, related. RTK3 is the first of the RTK I've played, so it holds a special place for me. :) I've always been more of a builder than a warrior, and third is a bit of a touch slower than the others, I found. But after playing it for so long, I've grown fond of playing as minor rulers! (I never played created officers...) So far I've won with Kong Rong (Sc1-2) Qiao Mao (Sc1) Kong Zhou (Sc1) Wang Lang(Sc1) Yan Baihu(Sc1-2) Jin Xuan (Sc4). I'm especially fond of Qiao Mao and Kong Zhou. They seem the most challenging to play as, especially at a time before the empires are built! :D
Skydree
Tyro

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:25 am

I want to say I am certain Wang Can is in the game? I seem to recall his face as it was a bit particular. I couldn't say with certainty where he would be found, but I would guess in Jing?

I like smaller rulers sometimes as well. Kong Zhou is probably my favorite because of all the potential, but Qiao Mao made for an interesting run as well. I am hesitant to play Kong Rong though haha
Gamefaqs: KongZhou
Steam: heinous_won
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Skydree » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:43 am

Hesitant to play Kong Rong? He has an amazing portrait...!

Sadly yes, his position is very difficult to play. But I can give you pointers as far as my strategy goes when I play him. It's a little bit of a hit or miss, but it usually works! His flag is pretty awesome as well. Nothing like seeing Bing, You, Ji and Qing united under it. ;-)

As far as Wang Can goes, I am positive - he is in the game! But I have only seen him playing later scenarios ( I think he is in the fifth one only. Not appearing before, and being too old to appear later on). Never have I seen in through search, or through recruiting him, so I'm wondering if he might simply not be a hidden officer at all, but maybe just one that only appears in a single scenario. His portrait in RTK3 is pretty amazing. Also, it might help to say, that I play the SNES version.

Another question I have is regarding advisors. I have never really understood what makes an officer an advisor or general in that game. Generally, Generals need 70 in War, Army AND Naval Command - but following that rule, Cheng Pu couldn't be one, because he has 69 in war. Yet, he can be one! I think Yuan Shu or Dong Zhuo has another officer with a similar problem. Was it Zhang Xun, or Zhang Ji? I recall seeing a general with a stat of 69 in war. Similarly, a civil officer like Xin Pi, has better stats than an advisor like Guo Yi. I never really made heads or tails about it. :P But generally, it seemed like advisor need a combined total of 150 in Politics and Intelligence. But I doubt Guo Yi has that. From what I recall he had really low Intel, lower than Xin Pi, at any rate!
Skydree
Tyro

Unread postby Yao Zhun » Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:28 am

Hi RTK bros!

I've been playing RTK 1,2 & 4 since the NES days and I still play them. I play Wall of Fire mostly now because I like to create my own ruler and officers.

I loved this game so much that I ended up buying the novel Three Kingdoms by Luo Guanzhong.
It's the unabridged translation by Moss Robert in 4 volumes.
Recently I discovered that the TV-Series can be found on YouTube and I've watched 66 episodes so far!
It is so well made, the duels are fantastic and especially the one with Ma Chao against Xu Zhu, that was epic!

When I first discovered RTK 1 for the NES, I rented it at my video club, I spent a fortune on it, playing 18 hours non-stop, shoving food in my face and holding my need to go, you know, when nature call..
Anyway I ended up buying the game at a used game store.
I played it for so many years and now I play on emulators.

I'm happy that I'm not the only one obsessed over the series!
In fact I played all the Koei games on the NES,SNES,and GBA!

okay that's it for now! :)
Yao Zhun
Tyro

Unread postby wxlancer » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:29 am

Hi Everyone,
I recently rediscovered this genre through ROTK2 on ZSNES and am quite happy to see the forums still active. I never beat the game as a kid, but since replaying it I've had a compulsive urge to beat it from all kinds of scenarios...am currently doing a D3 playthrough as Meng Huo.

My two major current questions, as yet unresolved about the game, are:
1) Has anyone conclusively found the conditions for "prodigy"-class items like Sword of the Seven Stars, Ruler's Seal of the Han Dynasty, etc.? I'm playing on ZSNES btw
2) For unresolved questions like the above, has anyone here or in the general community corresponded with the Japanese or original game makers for answers? I'm sure there are some awesome trivia/minutiae/answers that can be found.

That said, my most recently satisfying experience in ROTK2 was winning a D3 game with Jin Xuan, who as far as I've experienced/seen is the most difficult victory setting (he's got extremely crappy stats and surrounded on all sides in province 20 with only one equally crappy follower, the only plus side being that P20 is abundantly populated). I came very close to being wiped out a number of times, but I find that this is only achievable with the following tactic:
When the scenario begins, immediately invade Province 21 (where an elite general, which I consider to be anyone above 210 in total ratings, Huang Zhong, begins with a mere 78 loyalty, and another awesome warrior, Wei Yan at 94, begins with only 71 loyalty) with all of your gold (which you don't need for rewarding you start with plenty of horses), bribe them repeatedly until they switch sides, then make them flee back home. It's possible to outright recruit these guys instead, but you and your starting follower Gong Zhi are not well endowed, and you can only recruit basically twice per month before Han Xuan starts rewarding them out of recruit range on D3. With these two guys, you can not only start developing your province at a respectable rate, but you can also ward off invasion and potentially lure disloyal generals fresh off recruitment or war without significant risk of capture and a much higher chance of success. I still almost died in the second year because of a threatening joint invasion from Cao Cao/Liu Bei, but they didn't send all of their premium generals and Zhang Lu came to my aid. The captured generals during the repelled invasion allowed me to add a few more talents to my retinue (through duels and because less war-savvy generals are easier to capture, obviously), and the population-rich province lets you eventually snowball. You can also take a bit of a cheated way out by simply having Jin Xuan launch suicide attacks until he's beheaded so you can enthrone Huang Zhong or someone else (the loyalty penalties of succession won't mean much or might actually even make things BETTER when you have almost no starting generals of consequence), but I consider that a bit too crooked and didn't do this.

My one gripe about this game is that the computer just isn't aggressive enough as provinces get developed...they basically become tougher and tougher pieces of fruit to pick, sometimes requiring repeated invasions (with tricks such as withdrawing from a stacked province on Day 30 and then re-launching a fresh invasion, or releasing a captured ruler to continue attacking the provinces he retreats to before he's re-assigned/trained/armed) to crack, but pieces of fruit don't go on sustained offensives. The AI doesn't aggressively joint attack/betray/chain assault/reroute all generals to frontier provinces for expansion nearly as much as it should on the highest difficulty, which would make for much more interesting games, though it might make Cao Cao too strong in Scenarios 4 and beyond. I sometimes wonder what would happen if I just 0 playered a game and left it running for a day until people got so old that they started to die out without enough fresh replacements, and without anyone uniting the Middle Kingdom.

I've also heard that there's a major unofficial remake project...am going to check on its progress now, but does anyone know if it's finished?
wxlancer
Tyro

Unread postby unfies » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:36 am

1) Has anyone conclusively found the conditions for "prodigy"-class items like Sword of the Seven Stars, Ruler's Seal of the Han Dynasty, etc.? I'm playing on ZSNES btw

Random as far as I know. There are some times when you'll always gain a random item (winning lou yang in a battle comes to mind).

--------------------------------------------

As far as Jin Xuan - he is one of the most difficult rulers to take to fruition, indeed. The crappy charm stat is what makes it difficult. You'll basically need to get Jin Xuan into a safe area and have other nearby provinces he can shuffle recruits off to so they can have their loyalty raised via high charm guv's. I was doing something similar with my difficulty 3 Sun Jian game - had a chain of provinces i shuffled generals through to raise their loyalty on their way to front lines etc.

------------------------

I've also heard that there's a major unofficial remake project...am going to check on its progress now, but does anyone know if it's finished?

Making great progress, although been plenty of slow spots :). I've been avoiding posting messages on the subject until such time as it becomes playable.
unfies
Tyro

PreviousNext

Return to Romance of the Three Kingdoms