RTK I–V Discussion Thread

Koei’s Romance of the Three Kingdoms game series—discuss it here.

Do you think Koei’s Three Kingdoms has become worse or better with time?

Better!
48%
Worse…
20%
About the same…
17%
I haven’t played enough of them…
16%

Total votes : 138

Re: RTK I–V Discussion Thread

Unread postby Wirawan » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:08 am

Hello, I've play RTK2 for a while, and now I want to make a "New Ruler" become my general (as Liu Bei).
Here is what I've done.

First, I play with 4 rulers and choose scenario 1.
3 rulers is Liu Bei, Yuan Shao, and Gongsun Zan
1 ruler is new Ruler place it in number 1. ( Int 100, war 65, and Charm 75)
My main Ruler is Liu Bei.

Using Gongsun Zan ally with Liu Bei, and then order Yuan Shao to attack Gongsun Zan, being attack then ask reinforcement to Liu Bei, this make level of thrust become 92 (after 3 times I did this method)
Then I make some of Yuan Shao General(4 general) move to province 2, this to prevent Gongsun Zan flee to another empty nation
After that, I recruit Gongsun Yue from Gongsun Zan, then threaten Gongsun Zan. It works!, Gongsun Zan become my general.
Then I attack the new ruler from province 2 (all my 4 general), so the new ruler flee to province 2.
After that using Liu Bei, I empty the general from new ruler (just like I did with Gongsun Zan).
But with new ruler, I already try several time, but never surrender, event when I empty his soldier using HexEditor
Can anyone have a suggestion how to make a new ruler surrender?

thank you
Wirawan
Tyro

Unread postby cicobuff » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:42 am

Wirawan wrote:Hello, I've play RTK2 for a while, and now I want to make a "New Ruler" become my general (as Liu Bei).
Here is what I've done.

First, I play with 4 rulers and choose scenario 1.
3 rulers is Liu Bei, Yuan Shao, and Gongsun Zan
1 ruler is new Ruler place it in number 1. ( Int 100, war 65, and Charm 75)
My main Ruler is Liu Bei.

Using Gongsun Zan ally with Liu Bei, and then order Yuan Shao to attack Gongsun Zan, being attack then ask reinforcement to Liu Bei, this make level of thrust become 92 (after 3 times I did this method)
Then I make some of Yuan Shao General(4 general) move to province 2, this to prevent Gongsun Zan flee to another empty nation
After that, I recruit Gongsun Yue from Gongsun Zan, then threaten Gongsun Zan. It works!, Gongsun Zan become my general.
Then I attack the new ruler from province 2 (all my 4 general), so the new ruler flee to province 2.
After that using Liu Bei, I empty the general from new ruler (just like I did with Gongsun Zan).
But with new ruler, I already try several time, but never surrender, event when I empty his soldier using HexEditor
Can anyone have a suggestion how to make a new ruler surrender?

thank you

If you are already using a hex editor, why cant you just hex edit one of the officers you recruited into your "new ruler" with all the stats and name you want? Why go through a long winded and round about way?
cicobuff
Tyro

Unread postby Wirawan » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:05 am

My objective is to recruit new ruler become one of Liu Bei general.
After I recruit the new ruler, then I only play 1 ruler Liu Bei
Wirawan
Tyro

Unread postby delaware99 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:41 am

If anyone still has issue with RTKV not having officer photo, I've found another copy of rtk5 and replaced KAODATA.S5 file to the kongming's zip. Now all the officer photos are visible.
delaware99
Tyro

Unread postby GanNing77 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:23 pm

I've enjoyed reading this thread and hearing from other fans of RTK II and the other games of the series. I've logged countless hours playing RTK II and was interested to hear about the modded version of the PC RTK II. It sounds like people are discussing and addressing many of the issues I have with the game. Marsil, thanks for all the information you've shared. Looking at your general stat sheet I reminisced at how Lady Chen at the age of 10 would log the attributes of every general in every province in her notebook.

Although I've played so many hours, they've almost exclusively been on scenarios 1-4 (as Liu Bei and occasionally a new ruler) on Difficulty 3. In my most recent return to the game i decided I'd go through the six scenarios as a new ruler. I achieved a real accomplishment today; I completed Scenario 5 on Diff3 as a new ruler. I started in Xiliang and managed to get a foothold in 12-15, 29-30 and worked my way eastward, taking 19 & 20 from Liu Bei, but other than that, focusing on eliminating Cao Cao. It was a tough go, but once I managed to strike a few key victories (aided by the acquisition of the Ruler's Seal), I managed to fill out my roster of generals enough to defeat Cao and move on to the Sun clan, and finally Liu Bei. Later in the game, the death of Liu Bei and my capture of Sun Quan eased the end-game somewhat.

Scenario 3 and 4 were challenging also... I beat them by more or less the same strategy. Playing Scenario 3 I started next to Liu Bei in 28. I quickly allied with Sun Quan who I'd use to keep me alive while I built my army. I had hoped to amass enough of an army to make Liu Bei my first conquest (with the help of Sun), gaining the two brothers, Zhao and Zhuge Liang, etc. but this proved to be impossible. Once I gave up on that idea and accepted the fact that my favourite generals would probably not be mine until my final conquest, I went on to more or less follow Zhuge Liang's plan for Liu Bei: taking the Riverlands first, establishing a base, then occupying Hanzhong and Xiliang before turning eastward. This was a slow painful process, but worked well. Scenario 4 I more or less did the same sing, although I started in 40, quickly won the services of Wei Yan and Huang Zhong, took 21 and 23, then conquered westward before taking on Sun, Cao and Liu.

Here are my thoughts, complaints and tips on the game:

- once states become mature, with trained armies of 4 generals or more, the AI will never attack. The game ends up with me being the only on who ever goes to war unless some totally opportune situation presents itself. Boring and annoying.

- when you recruit a governor with generals under his command, some will join his coup, but the ones that don't, don't always end up as free generals wanding back to their sworn lord... sometimes they simply vanish from the game, never to return

- I like how the designers gave the rulers appropriate traits to match their military and governance. Liu Zhang sits on rich states but he doesn't recognize talent. Notice how he always has losers for governors and talented generals among the dregs? He also has no ambition to expand beyond Yizhou... the odd surge into 13 or 29, but that's it. Likewise for Liu Biao who just parks on his generals and never goes to war. Yuan Shao is totally reckless, attacking whenever he can score a victory but often leaving himself vulnerable. Liu Bei and Tao Quian always honour their alliances and provide more assistance than one would expect.

- Tiger Wolf and Rival Tigers are pointless on Diff 3. Occasionally Betrayal or Forgery will work with the wisest of generals, but it is usually easier just to recruit disloyal enemy generals.

- I loved the posts about the 'traitor' gene! I never take Zhang He, Wei Yan or Meng Da to war unless their loyalty is 100. Dirty backstabbers.

- I've tried to threaten Cao Cao countless times, having him run around with no generals, soldiers or rice, but never to have him submit. I imagine it is impossible. Amazingly enough, I have cornered Ma Teng in 15 alone with no rice and managed to threaten him into submission. Pretty sweet having his 95 War join my elite ranks.

- I always wondered what the next ruler colour would be, if you were to play Scenario 1 and get a governor to revolt. I've tried many times to make this happen, but without success. I imagine it is also impossible. Anyone seen (or orchestrated) this?

- When I play Liu Bei, I never behead a ruler if I can release him. This has probably made many of my victories more challenging. Liu Bei or a new ruler, I'll also never behead a ruler if his successor is someone I covet for my army.

- use move enemy and forested ambushes. you can often get 3 generals to follow your commander around, taking ambush after ambush, for the entire month, freeing your other 4 generals to occupy squares adjacent to the enemy castle.

- an aggressive defense of often better than surrounding your castle and digging in like the AI does. Charge the enemy commander, block them into a tight space and simult. attack or burn him!

- I rarely attempt to capture even a tempting messenger general unless he's the general of someone I'm at war with. An ally's general is never worth the attempt (unless it's Zhuge Liang). If it is a high war general, the odds are slim that you'll get him and the hit to your trust is never worth it imo. If it is a low-war strategist sometimes it's worth taking the chance.

- Keeping your trust high, at least for me, is key to winning this game (on Diff3). Even with a loyalty of 50 it's a struggle to keep your generals loyal. I do anything I need to to get it above 60 in the early game... after that sometimes I can take questionable risks of betrayal or capture if it is truly a great opportunity.

- Keep all loyalties at 100. Be OCD like Kong Wen! I'm the same way. Once a few start to slip, they can really start to plunge. Try to have governors with 80+ CHM.

- Favourite Warriors: I consider a Warrior to have 70+ WAR. I prefer to give WAR treasures to gens with war in the 80s, so they end up elite (90s). Lei Tong, Wu Lan, Guan Ping are regular recipients of these treasures. As mentioned, I'm careful with Zhang He, Wei Yan, (Hua Xiong, Cai Mao and others, but ZH and WY I find to be the worst--other than Lu Bu of course)... they can be quick to betray. I love to nab Taishi Ci and Zhang He early in Scenario I.

- Favourite Governors: I consider a governor a guy with low war and 70+ INT and CHM. Some of my favourites are Sun Quian, Fa Zhang, Hu Xin, Gu Yong, Mi Zhu, Liu Ye, Yi Ji, Yu Fan. Shen Pei and Feng Ji are good jack-of-alls while not powerful enough to travel with your vanguard.

- Favourite Advisers: I consider an Adviser a general with 90+ INT. I usually get Li Ru or Jia Xue early game (Scenario I) and try to fight my way to provinces 9, 10, 17, and 20 to reap the many generals who appear there.

- Favourite Chumps: How can't you love Han Hao and Cao Bao? Just kidding. Off with their heads!

- I've never obtained the Seal of the Han or Dragon Mare but I did get the Sword of the Seven Stars once (in many thousands of hours of play). I have no idea what triggers them but would love to know.

- although I've played the PC version, almost all of my play has come on the SNES version

- Scenario 6 as a new ruler? That's going to be a challenge!

I'd love to hear more from other fanatics. There've been so many entertaining posts!
GanNing77
Initiate

Unread postby SDragon » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:46 pm

Looking to get back into ROTK2 and see what else I can change to make the game more challenging but so far, I enjoy the changes that I've already made. Since it's been such a long time since I worked on the assembly side, I'll need some time to catch up so I'll start with some of the easier code sections and work forward, but the initial list of things to look at are:

Flood, Riots, Typhoon, Locusts, Epidemic calculations <- easiest to wet my fingers
Diplomacy Calculations <- a bit harder but will help me understand parts of code for
Spy <- changing this is my next big thing to help make the game more sophisticated

Once I get these done, I'll create a new list of things involving battles, battle sim, battle AI, game AI.
SDragon
Tyro

Unread postby kamion » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:10 am

For RTK2:
Here's my tactic to lure AI generals to attack province 10, and leave them in a weakened state for easy recovery and gaining the treasure in Easy mode.

Once you've taken control of province 10, leave a lone general there with high war ability with around 1800 soldiers, with 100 training and 100 arms. Also, leave about 1000 gold and 100,000 food - otherwise, the AI won't be tempted to attack.

AI will usually attack with 1 general and 10,000 men. Place your lone general outside the city, and lead the enemy general to the forest area east of the city, but be careful to make sure you take the long path around the city itself and don't let the enemy general land on the squares directly adjacent to the city, or the enemy general will just step into the unoccupied city and take control.

Then, just set up ambush every day and lead the attacking general in a merry-go-round until the enemy general only have a few hundred soldiers left. Then, retreat and "lose" the battle.

Come back the next month and reclaim province 10 without having a fight with the same general with 1800 soldiers (or less).
kamion
Tyro

Unread postby Mestre Will » Tue May 01, 2012 12:30 pm

In IV Yuan shao is so bad father , if you win and capture some of his officers include one of his sons , the last officer he will try get back is his son.

The real good of IV is that any lord can become good , i mean in III is hard to get Lubu or Liu yong in a good spot with some real power , but in IV is not that hard.
However i like III and II agreessive AI because in IV even in hard the other lord almost never attack , they just attack you.
Knowledge is achieved with time, but Intelligence is born with it or without it. - Mestre Will
Mestre Will
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Ma Tzu » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:42 am

Started playing RTK3 for the pc last night (first time ever played every other version except 12) and wow i think it beats most other versions of rtk...simplicity with small details and accually good AI for a Koei game...one question though...if i spy in a city not directly connected to my empire and reveal all info i still cant recruit there? only if the city has connection to my cities is this the way it´s suposed to work (wasn´t so in rtk2 and others) is it the same way in SNES version? and whats the difference between beginner and andvanced? anyone?
Sun Tzu Said:
This is war.
It is the most important skill in the nation.
It is the basis of life and death.
It is the philosophy of survival or destruction.
You must know it well.
Ma Tzu
Initiate

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:51 am

Yeah you can only recruit from neighboring cities.

I never really tampered with beginner and advanced, but I would assume it just alters resources for you and the AI so you get less.

And yeah, I like III's AI. It's straightforward. It can of course be exploited, but most of the tricks aren't super obvious, and the AI takes advantage of some things as well.
Gamefaqs: KongZhou
Steam: heinous_won
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Romance of the Three Kingdoms