RTK I–V Discussion Thread

Koei’s Romance of the Three Kingdoms game series—discuss it here.

Do you think Koei’s Three Kingdoms has become worse or better with time?

Better!
48%
Worse…
19%
About the same…
17%
I haven’t played enough of them…
16%

Total votes : 136

Unread postby Wu_fanatic » Sun Aug 17, 2003 6:50 am

The world tallest midget wrote:I liked Romance of the three kingdoms 2, but I never figured how to make my officers stay loyal. They always lost loyalty so fast. and went free all the time. You cant reward them fast enough. :(

I loved Romance 2. In the Super Nintendo version of Romance 2, the officers' loyalty will fall faster if you have a low Trustworthiness rating (Trst). I always taxed my people to the bone :) to get funding and then later I have a zero trust rating, which results in the fast falling loyalty problem. Eventually I noticed that -5 trust rating for the taxes.

As I recall, your Trust rating starts at 50 and falls 5 points every time you tax a province (outside of the regular January and July taxes of course). Your Trust rating will fall 3 points each time you do something like seizing a letter sent by an ally, even if the ally was trying to recruit your general or screw you some other way.

You can improve the Trust rating by:
1. getting the Ruler's Seal (of course), which automatically sets your ruler's personal charm and your trust rating to 100.
2. letting an ally's letter carrier pass (+3 points each time as I recall)
3. aiding an ally with troops when requested (+3 or +5 points, I forget which one)
4. Getting the "Ruler's Seal of the Han Dynasty" (I only saw this once), which maxes out your trust AND all three personal attributes for your ruler. I'll talk about this in my next post.
Wu_fanatic
Tyro

Unread postby Wu_fanatic » Sun Aug 17, 2003 7:25 am

About that "Ruler's Seal of the Han Dynasty," here's the circumstances under which I saw it.

My dad was playing Yuan Shao, who later died with the falling star that's a bad omen for him. Zhang He (war 90) was chosen as the successor. Then later on my dad waged a massive war against Cao Cao (I think) in province 10 (the super province in the game). Both sides fought with the max or nearly maxed out 10 generals with 100 soldiers each. After he won the battle over multiple months, the map of China went dark, and then came back with a black area where province 10 should be (maybe vice versa). I thought he somehow broke the game (something similar to this happened once before and the game just froze). Then the TV started flashing and he won the "Ruler's Seal of the Han Dynasty." I have been unable to replicate this, nor have I seen this mentioned anywhere on the web. This is a totally true story.

Here's all the little tricks I can recall right now for the SNES version of Romance of the Three Kingdoms II

1. Provinces 10, 24, and 33 (and to some extent 17) always/or almost always have merchants every month, so your generals there can buy those precious "arms."

2. All those neat little sayings the advisors like Zhuge Liang talks about, like Meng De's treatise or the Black Lightning and Red Hare, or Hua Tuo's medicine books, are all war spoils that can be won after a battle.

The trick I figured out was that after every successful invasion of province 10, you would find a war spoil. Hua Tuo's books allows your sick generals to heal in 1 month instead of 3, and lessens the damage from plagues. I think there are around 30 total war spoil items in the game. i found this stuff out once when I played multiple sides and kept letting one side win an invasion of province 10, then another side will invade and win, and each time there was a war spoil.

3. Only Zhuge Liang is correct 100% of the time when he predicts how a plan against the computer will work out, or if a general will join you. Sima Yi, Zhou Yu, Lu Xun, etc are only close.

4. I used to think a general with intel of 90 or above cannot have fire set upon him in battle. Wrong. Zhuge Liang did it to my Lu Xun once. Horribly shocking to me. So it takes a more intelligent guy to do so, but it is harder to do than a dummy with low intel

5. This is how the personal combat winner and war points are scored (this was easy to figure out). If a general with war 80 beats a guy with war 91 in personal combat, he'll gain half the difference in war points (11/2 = 5.5), rounded up to the next number. So the war 80 guy would go up to war 86. If a war 80 guy beats war 90 guy, he'll only go up to war 85 (10/2 = 5).

Oh how I loved this crazy game! I have some wild stories too of it if anyone cares to read them. I also played Romance 3 on SNES and Romance 4 on the PC. I would love to be able to somehow fuse the parts of 2, 3, and 4 I like into a better version and mix in some random powerful generals too.
Wu_fanatic
Tyro

Unread postby Dennis » Tue Sep 30, 2003 12:19 am

I loved romance 2 as well, and I can tell you all a cool story.....

My cartridge was old.... oh so very old, and there was a little glitch where Wu Anguo under Kong Rong has 174 War, so everyone now says BS!!, but I swear on my life its true, so anyways I ws not aware of this at the time, so when I invaded Kong Rong, and sent Xiahou Dun out to meet Wu Anguo, you be I was very surprised. Fortunately, it only said 174, but still acted like he has his normal 74, So I with my 92 War win, but even better, in this game when a general with lower War beats a general with higher war, there war ability goes up! so the game actually rewarded my Xiahou Dun to 142 War! and not glitchy war either, like he kicked Lu Bu's ass! Anyways just thought I would let you all know of my cool game glitch that actually happens everytime I play (well until my SNES finally broke down), good memories!
Dennis
Mutha Canucka

Unread postby Wu_fanatic » Wed Oct 01, 2003 7:02 am

Dennis, I think your Romance 2 cartridge must be quite buggy. In my version, Xiahou Dun's war was 93. But then maybe a lot of the cartridges had bugs. My game had this bizarre thing where when you viewed a province at war (with at least one side having an ally's help), the info about the battle would be all messed up, and when you returned to you province, all the menu at the top would look weird too. We exchanged our cartridge for another and it had the same bug. I then figured out that all I had to do was hit "up" on the directional pad and that would fix the strange markings.

But that Wu Anguo glitch must be really fun. Did you ever try dismissing him so he could find a job with another ruler, and then attack that province and use the personal combat thing to increase another general's war? That would be so useful for the Wu generals, since they only got Taishi Ci (war 95) and Gan Ning (war 92), plus these two almost always sucked at personal combat :(

In one game, I played as Meng Huo, and my dad played Liu Bei. As he expanded eastward, I attack him and went up north. Eventually I ended up in province 12 and that's where my dad launched this crazy blitz on that province. His armies always came from the south or southeast corner, and then I would set fire, and the wind would blow the fire his way. Then it would not rain for nearly the whole mooth. His armies were burnt to a crisp each time and he had to retreat after almost every month. After 3-4 months of this, he finally wore my soldiers down, and I had to quickly hire soldiers and send these poorly trained soldiers to the front to replenish Meng Huo's numbers. I finally lost after about 6-8 months of this barrage, but not without inflicting severe damage to my dad's armies (with fire and favorable wind and weather). He sent Zhao Yun back a second time with no arms and my crappy generals were able to match him! That was great to see - my pitiful generals standing up to Zhao Yun and a few other of Liu Bei's elite fighters.

In one battle I captured Pang De from my dad (w/ 8 soldiers) and in the very next battle I brought him out to charge my dad's guys. One crappy general he brought along ended up with 6 or 8 soldiers left, and Pang De had a big 0 for soldiers, but I had him charge that guy anyways, and Pang De still won! That was so funny!
Wu_fanatic
Tyro

Unread postby Zhang Liao17 » Wed Oct 01, 2003 10:23 pm

Dennis wrote:I loved romance 2 as well, and I can tell you all a cool story.....

My cartridge was old.... oh so very old, and there was a little glitch where Wu Anguo under Kong Rong has 174 War, so everyone now says BS!!, but I swear on my life its true, so anyways I ws not aware of this at the time, so when I invaded Kong Rong, and sent Xiahou Dun out to meet Wu Anguo, you be I was very surprised. Fortunately, it only said 174, but still acted like he has his normal 74, So I with my 92 War win, but even better, in this game when a general with lower War beats a general with higher war, there war ability goes up! so the game actually rewarded my Xiahou Dun to 142 War! and not glitchy war either, like he kicked Lu Bu's ass! Anyways just thought I would let you all know of my cool game glitch that actually happens everytime I play (well until my SNES finally broke down), good memories!

Well seeing as how your SNES doesn't work, you could always send me that cartridge.... :lol: :twisted:
"Death is but death, and why are you scared at it?"-Zhang Liao
Zhang Liao17
Supreme Commander of Wei Forces

Unread postby Atma » Sun Oct 12, 2003 1:07 am

Actually, I think that the accuracy rate depends on Intelligence. So, since Xu Shu has 96 Int, I'm assuming that he's correct 96% of the time. Therefore, giving an Intelligence-boosting book should let your advisor raise to 100 Intelligence.

And from peeking into the rom (yes, I have the SNES Ro3k2 cart too -- that's what got me into the Three Kingdoms period) there are 29 items, including the Ruler's Seal fo the Han Dynasty. However, because I've never abused the Province 10 trick, I've gotten on a quarter or so of them.
Atma
Tyro

Unread postby Wu_fanatic » Sun Oct 12, 2003 10:27 am

Atma wrote:Actually, I think that the accuracy rate depends on Intelligence. So, since Xu Shu has 96 Int, I'm assuming that he's correct 96% of the time. Therefore, giving an Intelligence-boosting book should let your advisor raise to 100 Intelligence.

In my experience, the accuracy rate for advisors with intel from 96-98 are indistinguishable. I've seen Lu Xun saying "you can't hope for more improvement" when I was awarding writings to a guy with a much lower intel, and other silly mistakes like that. I've got Gan Ning's intel up to 90! in my current game, maybe I'll try boosting it to 100 with the intel-boosting items... but I think the game won't make him super-accurate like Zhuge Liang.

Atma wrote:And from peeking into the rom (yes, I have the SNES Ro3k2 cart too -- that's what got me into the Three Kingdoms period) there are 29 items, including the Ruler's Seal fo the Han Dynasty. However, because I've never abused the Province 10 trick, I've gotten on a quarter or so of them.

I got both the cart and the rom too. How are you peeking at the rom? With a Hex editor? And have you figured out how to get the Ruler's Seal of the Han Dynasty? I'm guessing that you can only get it if the regular Ruler's Seal hasn't been found yet, and is also the next war spoil the game will cough up; then you have to win a major battle lasting several months (maybe against the computer? in province 10?), but who knows what item the game will give out next. I'd like to see that bizarre presentation of the Han Seal again.
Wu_fanatic
Tyro

Unread postby Atma » Sun Oct 12, 2003 4:10 pm

I haven't figured out how to get it yet... theoretically, repeated invasions of Province 10 (have two people exchange the province with first-turn retreats) should get you all the items with no repeats. And yes, I peek at the rom with WinHex -- you should be able to find it on download.com.
Atma
Tyro

Unread postby Atma » Sun Oct 12, 2003 5:41 pm

Okay, I tried milking Province 10... and after 20 items it stopped spitting any more out. I know they have more than that, but...

Anyway, here are the items, in order:

(1) Black Dragon -- War +8, Loy 100
(2) Dragon Jewel -- Charm +10, Loy 100
(3) Ruler's Seal -- Trust 100, Ruler Charm 100
(4) Moon Sword -- War +8, Loy 100
(5) Medical Book of Hua Tuo -- Injuries heal after one month
(6) Swan Amulet -- Charm +14, Loy 100
(7) Medallion Of True Friendship -- Charm +8, Loy 100
(8) Sword of Victory - War +8, Loy 100
(9) Necklace of the Eternal Flame -- Charm +6, Loy 100
(10) Red Hare -- 100% Flee success
(11) Sword of Xiang Yu -- War +8, Loy 100
(12) Book of Virtue -- Int +6, Loy 100
(13) Pendant of Yan Xi -- Charm +9, Loy 100
(14) Black Lightning -- 100% Flee success
(15) Book of Conquest -- Int +11, Loy 100
(16) Book of the Right Path -- Int +7, Loy 100
Atma
Tyro

Unread postby Kong Wen » Sun Oct 12, 2003 8:38 pm

Atma wrote:Okay, I tried milking Province 10... and after 20 items it stopped spitting any more out. I know they have more than that, but...

Anyway, here are the items, in order:

(1) Black Dragon -- War +8, Loy 100
[snip the rest of the item list]

It should be noted that the amount of stat. increase these items give you is randomised. The Black Dragon doesn't always give you +8 War. I have gained +6 War, all the way up to +13 war from the Black Dragon.
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

PreviousNext

Return to Romance of the Three Kingdoms