Romance of the Three Kingdoms 14 Announced

Koei’s Romance of the Three Kingdoms game series—discuss it here.

Re: Romance of the Three Kingdoms 14 Announced

Unread postby Death » Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:15 pm

DaoLunOfShiji wrote:I cant help but view KOEI to be 100% completely incapable of doing Officer Play in their previous two ROTK games, so returning to a ruler-based style like 11 would be nice. However judging by the gameplay videos, this gameplay looks nearly identical to 13. So it feels as if this game will be a weird, clunky mess that may get old after a single campaign. Just like 13.

I agree with you about the officer play, so I'm ok with if its leader only this time, I just wish they would add more rpg style events or cutscenes and such like they used to have in the older games to give a bit more of a roleplaying type feel with your officers or just different events that could happen that could either help or hurt your force, or just make things different each playthrough. I remember in either rotk 7 or 8 that I got tired of battling Ma Teng and killed him, thus making his entire family hate me and want to come after me. Do that in XI for instance, and none of the family will care at all, and join you with no issues. Also, even though you didn't play Nobunaga's Ambition, I do think they did ok with some aspects of the officer play, so Koei CAN do it somewhat, they just may not want to :mrgreen:
Death
Changshi

Unread postby Gray Riders » Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:13 am

Tao Huang was recently revealed to be in the game, making me wonder if we'll get a later 3K period starting scenario. I believe it was stated in an interview that we'll get seven starting points.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby DaoLunOfShiji » Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:00 am

I don't see it happening. They've had people from the late era in older games, XI for example, despite their relevance not coming until Shu's fall or even afterwards and the latest scenario was 225. I'd hope we'd get a 260 or later scenario, but this is KOEI. Giving a damn about the actual Three Kingdoms isn't their thing.
"To triumph without fighting is the greatest enterprise of the sovereign. Better to capture a state intact than to wreck it; better to capture an army complete than to destroy it. These are the principles of warfare."
— Zhong Hui
DaoLunOfShiji
Langzhong

Unread postby Gray Riders » Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:37 am

The main reason it makes me wonder is because of them showing Tao Huang off on twitter--would feel a bit weird doing that if there's no scenario he'll be relevant in (except the inevitable Heroes scenario of course). That said they do prefer to focus on the Jian'an and the Zhuge Liang eras.

Although coincidentally, IX was Tao Huang's last game and it had 263 as a starting date.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby DaoLunOfShiji » Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:43 am

I mean, I hope you're right. Nothing would make me happier than to have scenarios set during the time I find the most interesting. It's been a real long time since we've had a post ZGL scenario, which is depressing. Outside of those awful ROTK13 hero modes or whatever those were.
"To triumph without fighting is the greatest enterprise of the sovereign. Better to capture a state intact than to wreck it; better to capture an army complete than to destroy it. These are the principles of warfare."
— Zhong Hui
DaoLunOfShiji
Langzhong

Unread postby TVL » Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:38 pm

I watched some gameplay video, and it doesn't look interesting to me, maybe it's because i never played IX so i have no idea how it works. And i hope that's the case
TVL
Master

Unread postby DaoLunOfShiji » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:41 pm

222 Xiaoting and 234 Wuzhangyuan scenarios confirmed.
What's the betting pool that 234 will be the latest scenario? :lol:
— Zhong Hui
DaoLunOfShiji
Langzhong

Unread postby agga » Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:16 pm

They need to bring things all the way out to the war of the 8 princes, let us run out the Western Jin.

Really, ultimate goal should be an RTK that extends across all of chinese history. Just work our way out from the three kingdoms period...
造反有理!
agga
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Xiahou Jia » Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:20 pm

agga wrote:They need to bring things all the way out to the war of the 8 princes, let us run out the Western Jin.

Really, ultimate goal should be an RTK that extends across all of chinese history. Just work our way out from the three kingdoms period...

Or maybe even expand to the global level. Like they did in the Genghis Khan long time ago.
Do what you believe is right and don't be distracted by praises or insults.
Xiahou Jia
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby DaoLunOfShiji » Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:01 pm

The last thing KOEI needs to do is butcher other theaters of history.
— Zhong Hui
DaoLunOfShiji
Langzhong

PreviousNext

Return to Romance of the Three Kingdoms