Romance of the Three Kingdoms 14 Announced

Koei’s Romance of the Three Kingdoms game series—discuss it here.

Re: Romance of the Three Kingdoms 14 Announced

Unread postby Sakae Wu » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:06 am

Well, I headed out to the Tokyo Game Show a little late yesterday and didn't get to the venue until almost noon.
https://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f18/ ... jvzovv.jpg
I saw the queue for the security checkpoint and just didn't want to deal with it.
https://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f18/ ... zmchbr.jpg

It's hard to tell in this pic, but the line was insanely long and barely moving. You can maybe see the white tents in the back where they were doing the checks. There was probably 5 times as many guys with bullhorns funneling the crowd than there were actually doing the inspections.
If I was still an avid gamer as I used to be, I would have waited it out. But, it just wasn't worth it just for a couple of hours of browsing new games and checking out the cosplay gals.
I've been to several events in the greater Tokyo area; Ultra Japan, Baby Metal, baseball games etc. and the crowd factor is just on a whole other level from other cities I've experienced.

Koei Tecmo apparently had a nice sized booth just not on the level of Square Enix or Konami>
https://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f18/ ... qxnjzz.jpg

I did find an interesting article with an interview of producer Kazuhiro Echigoya> https://www.4gamer.net/games/472/G047208/20190914061/
“Vision without action is a daydream, action without vision is a nightmare”
-Japanese proverb
Sakae Wu
Master

Unread postby Gray Riders » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:41 pm

Thanks for sharing the interview!
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sakae Wu » Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:27 am

Gray Riders wrote:Thanks for sharing the interview!

Thanks for your links too. I just noticed your edits.
Well, it sounds basically finished other than the debugging. I guess it's wait and see how the demo's play out.

I'm fairly optimstic on this one mostly due to the amount of focus on improving the AI.
They didn't provide much insight into the diplomacy side of things, and it didn't seem like they're interested in making that a priority.
I don't know about 12 or 13, but 11 left a bit to be desired in that aspect.
-Japanese proverb
Sakae Wu
Master

Unread postby Sanji Himura » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:31 am

Well, it looks like I have a few more TGS videos to put out. Thanks guys for a great TGS!
Sanji Himura
Tyro

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:57 am

Sakae Wu wrote:
Gray Riders wrote:Thanks for sharing the interview!
They didn't provide much insight into the diplomacy side of things, and it didn't seem like they're interested in making that a priority.
I don't know about 12 or 13, but 11 left a bit to be desired in that aspect.

I'll sum up 13 like this. I once allied with Liu Zhang while lording over Liang, and asked him to launch a diversionary assault on one of Li Jue's nearby cities. He launched a big invasion. I was like great, it's go time, and deployed my troops to my own target.

Well, the moment my armies clashed with Li Jue's, Liu Zhang just straight up abandoned the assault on the city. Even though he could have totally conquered it.

There were admittedly some pretty cool ideas with regard to actually setting up alliances and stuff, like the debates and endorsements. But once the deed was done, there was zero intrigue.
Gamefaqs: KongZhou
Steam: heinous_won
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sakae Wu » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:30 am

Zyzyfer wrote:There were admittedly some pretty cool ideas with regard to actually setting up alliances and stuff, like the debates and endorsements. But once the deed was done, there was zero intrigue.

Yeah, I think it certainly adds some depth to the strategy if done right. With XI it usually boiled down to if I want to bother sending loads of gold to a faction to not attack me or just say screw it and fight everyone.
-Japanese proverb
Sakae Wu
Master

Unread postby Sanji Himura » Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:45 am

New News reportedly incoming via Famitsu today JST: https://twitter.com/sangokushi_kt/statu ... 0218442752
Sanji Himura
Tyro

Unread postby Gray Riders » Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:53 pm

Sanji Himura wrote:New News reportedly incoming via Famitsu today JST: https://twitter.com/sangokushi_kt/statu ... 0218442752

Thanks.

The official Japanese page has an update today as well, though the english one hasn't yet:
https://www.gamecity.ne.jp/sangokushi14/
Nothing really amazing that I can tell, just talking about what seems to be officer tactics and the various military facilities like arrow towers and such. They do mention some of them are limited to certain officers like the stone maze.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Xiahou Jia » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:17 pm

Ruler based this time? I'll pass then. Unless the expansion for officers' play is released of course.
Do what you believe is right and don't be distracted by praises or insults.
Xiahou Jia
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby DaoLunOfShiji » Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:16 pm

I cant help but view KOEI to be 100% completely incapable of doing Officer Play in their previous two ROTK games, so returning to a ruler-based style like 11 would be nice. However judging by the gameplay videos, this gameplay looks nearly identical to 13. So it feels as if this game will be a weird, clunky mess that may get old after a single campaign. Just like 13.
"To triumph without fighting is the greatest enterprise of the sovereign. Better to capture a state intact than to wreck it; better to capture an army complete than to destroy it. These are the principles of warfare."
— Zhong Hui
DaoLunOfShiji
Langzhong

PreviousNext

Return to Romance of the Three Kingdoms