Romance of the Three Kingdoms 14 Announced

Koei’s Romance of the Three Kingdoms game series—discuss it here.

Re: Romance of the Three Kingdoms 14 Announced

Unread postby Lorric » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:34 pm

Sanji Himura wrote:
Lorric wrote:ROTK VIII for instance, play as Dong Zhuo in 189, Cao Cao is in your employ, but good luck getting him to do anything! :P

Well, I suspect that in that example it was story driven. I was speaking more in terms of general officer management.

I would want there to be a good reason for it. Otherwise why would they, they'd get Ma Su'd.

Nobunaga's Ambition Sphere of Influence had a mechanic where you could work on enemy officers who were discontent, but not enough to defect, to get them to sit out battles with you. If it got done to you, you'd get told your officer and his army couldn't do what you wanted them to do, because they were eating lunch! :P

I'd be okay with that or things like I said with Cao Cao. There are other possibilities like where you decline a duel, but your officer ignores you and takes the duel, that could happen in ROTK VIII as well. As could your units getting taunted, then you'd lose control of them, as well as being confused or scared and needing to be calmed.
Lorric
Apprentice

Unread postby Aaron.K » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:51 am

As long as it's turn-based (and going on the fact that the units are placed on hexes on the map seems to suggest it will be), I'll be pleased.

Koei really can't compete with Total War when it comes to real-time battles, so they ought to just avoid it and implement the best turn-based tactics they can (and seeing how the ROTK team recently worked on the newest Fire Emblem: Three Houses, they are quite good at exactly that). So here's hoping it will be good.
"Don't trust anyone. Never sit with your back to an entrance. Wear shoes with reversed footprints."
Aaron.K
Sage

Unread postby Rastafarian » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:35 am

Rastafarian
Initiate

Unread postby Lord_Cao_Cao » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:36 am

To be honest, I prefer the more plain looking portraits from XI and earlier when they weren't depicted in a battle or something. XIII did a good job in separating domestic and battle portraits in my opinion, but they seem to be going back to single portraits again. Sun Quan, Liu Bei, Zhou Yu or Guan Yu style portraits would have been great, not much of a fan of having to look at Cao Cao's, Sun Jian's or Sun Ce's angry faces all the time. :lol:
Lord_Cao_Cao
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:09 pm

"...he received a letter from Cao Cao, saying 'I expect a genius (also a summer letter).' It was cut."

:lol:

Edit: As for the portraits, I mostly agree with LCC. Actually the "single moment in time" portraits particularly bothered me because Pang De for instance is then seen constantly carrying around his damn coffin to every single battle and council he attends. Dude, morbid much?

I like most of the portraits I saw (aside from them feeling a bit too...like they are from a mobile game, I suppose?), but Liu Bei once again looks ridiculous. That goofy smile!!!

Zhou Yu and Zhang Jiao should model for GQ.
Gamefaqs: KongZhou
Steam: heinous_won
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby LiuBeiwasGreat » Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:48 am

Maybe it is because it is 6:47am and I have been awake since 4am taking care of my son, but those are the funniest things I have read in a long time :lol:
"If you can't drink a lobbyist's whiskey, take his money, sleep with his women and still vote against him in the morning, you don't belong in politics."
LiuBeiwasGreat
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Gray Riders » Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:54 pm

The game's official twitter is showing off new officers:
https://twitter.com/sangokushi_kt

Also linked me to this:
https://www.famitsu.com/news/201908/30182313.html
Famitsu had an article about the game, in Japanese of course. Here's a few things 100% totally reliable machine translation reveals:
*46 cities and approximately 340 areas.
*It seems units are strengthened by friendly adjacent areas, so a slow advance where you occupy territory ahead of time will be stronger than a fast advance (of course a slow advance gives the enemy time to react).
*Being cut off from your city of origin weakens your unit, but different officer personalities change how strong the effect is.

ROTK 15 will be presented at the Tokyo Game show from September 12 to 15.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sakae Wu » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:51 am

Gray Riders wrote:ROTK 15 will be presented at the Tokyo Game show from September 12 to 15.

They're already rolling out 15? Sheesh, Koei's not messing around.
I wish the "Tokyo" Game Show was actually in Tokyo, but I'm going to try to make the Sunday show. The first two days are media and business execs and Saturday I have to go to Yokohama.
I'll look for the Koei booth and get some info/pics if I can.
"I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." -Confucius
Sakae Wu
Master

Unread postby Gray Riders » Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:01 am

Sakae Wu wrote:They're already rolling out 15? Sheesh, Koei's not messing around.

:lol:
I originally just said "the game" but thought "the game" followed by "game show" read poorly and changed it at the last minute.

I wish the "Tokyo" Game Show was actually in Tokyo, but I'm going to try to make the Sunday show. The first two days are media and business execs and Saturday I have to go to Yokohama.
I'll look for the Koei booth and get some info/pics if I can.

Good luck and have a great time! :D

Edit: Someone is kindly tracking RTK14 news releases:
https://rotk14news.tumblr.com/
Edit 2: Official site updates:
https://www.koeitecmoamerica.com/rtk14/
Information on administration and combat have been added.
Their Tokyo Game Show presentation also begins today.

Edit 3: So it seems appointing officers is now a bigger factor. It seems to work like this:
*You have five areas of administration you can place officers in; "Battle", "Support", "Schemes", "Domestics", and "Personnel".
*How many officers you can place in each area varies based off your ruler type. The example given is that Cao Cao specializes in Battle and Support, Sun Quan in Domestics and Personnel, and Liu Bei is balanced.
*Giving an officer a post gives you that officer's "policies" (probably based off which admin type you put them in).
*Your administration can "level up" and gain more assignment slots.
It also has a list of some policies available.
*Game seems to use a limited orders system as one policy increases it (I'm not sure if it'll work in XIII or closer to XI's AP system with different actions taking different amounts).
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Romance of the Three Kingdoms